The older I get, the more terrified I am of rides. Anyone else experiencing this?

Ok- so for the record, I am going to be 46 years old. I believe motherhood has had a definite impact on my now acute sense of mortality (kids are 10 and 12). That being said, MENTALLY I know I won't die on the ride, but physically I have started experiencing visible trembling, racing heart, legs turned to jello and sweaty palms when going on rides. So much so that I am starting to think "maybe I'm just getting too old for this ****" I used to LOVE Expedition Everest, for instance. The last time I went on it, I was nauseous and had a headache the rest of the day! And let's not even discuss my reaction after getting off Rockin' Rollercoaster last year! I was more than halfway through the ride (1st time riding it) when I realized it wasn't that the ride was in pitch darkness, it was because I had MY EYES CLOSED! My body's reaction has left me feeling betrayed! When the heck did I become such a sissy?
Anyone have any advice on how to get back to a normal sense of calmness? Is it just me? Do I need to ask my doctor for meds maybe? Anyone else experiencing this?

I'm 49 years old and I feel you!! I was pretty worried on our trip a few weeks ago that my age might limit me. I have a weird case of motion sickness so I took my medicine everyday before heading into the parks. I was pretty nervous about riding Everest. :crazy2::scared1: But I talked myself into it. I had to calm my 11 year old son down right as we reached the boarding area. Once the ride started going, I was like...okay! Yes! My son was good too!! I will say the going backwards was a little rough on me, but I made it. And when we got off the ride, I had to find a place to sit for a few minutes. But other than that.....I was good!! Teacups made me pretty woozy. I kept focusing on my son's tummy as looking down was working better than looking at his face because my eyes kept drifting out of the teacup causing the dizziness to hit a little harder than I like. :oops: Believe it or not, Thunder Mountain about wiped me out. I was like...wait, what?? Everest is much more intense and when I got off BTMRR I had to sit for a little while. I believe because there are more inversions on BTMRR that is what got me. Mine Train didn't have me gripping the bar as tight as BTMRR, but still just a tad woozy when I got off. I will say though, I was a little hungry and thirsty before riding so I think that affected me more than the actually ride itself. I'd do all those rides all over again on our next visit!! ::yes::

That's exactly how I feel - physically I feel like garbage just before and after. I'm usually just screaming during. I get nauseous and the headache as well. What the heck? I actually WANT to ride these coasters, yet when I get close to getting on, my body goes into panic mode without my consent! Never used to happen. SO FRUSTRATED!
I have only tried Dramamine once and it didn't do anything for me. Maybe I didn't give it enough time to work...I don't know. Sigh.

Are you taking the Dramamine at least an hour before you ride. Also, I got the one with ginger in it, the natural one...it was awesome for me! I did THREE coasters on our trip earlier this month! I have NEVER done that before and never thought I would. Each one affected me differently....BTMRR was the worse for me, but I'd do it again without hesitation, because I know simply, it's the number of inversions that get me. And next time, I'll make sure we sit closer to the middle of the ride where you don't get as much action from the coaster.

Are you taking the Dramamine at least an hour before you ride. Also, I got the one with ginger in it, the natural one...it was awesome for me! I did THREE coasters on our trip earlier this month! I have NEVER done that before and never thought I would. Each one affected me differently....BTMRR was the worse for me, but I'd do it again without hesitation, because I know simply, it's the number of inversions that get me. And next time, I'll make sure we sit closer to the middle of the ride where you don't get as much action from the coaster.
You know, maybe it was more than an hour before I rode? Could that make a difference? Also, I find it interesting that you had the worst experience on BTMRR- that's one of the ONLY coasters I don't feel miserable before or after! I'm also ok with SDMT. However EE, ToT, and RnR ruined me for more than a few hours afterward. The Teacups and Mission:Space are completely out of the question. Anything that spins is pure torture. Meanwhile my 12 year old hates (that's putting it mildly) any kind of coaster and loves all the spinning rides. My 10 year old loves everything and since DH doesn't like big rides at all, I usually try and ride the big ones with my youngest. Last summer we went to a local amusement park with a huge pendulum-type swinging pirate ship, which used to be my absolute favorite ride there. After the 3rd swing, I was shaking so badly I thought I might pass out. Longest boat ride of my life! Lol. That was before our last trip to WDW and I thought it was just a fluke. Didn't imagine it would happen again a few months later.
So far, based on people's responses, I am going to give Dramamine another shot and also make sure I have a full stomach and I'm not dehydrated. Going next month!

Last edited:
I rode RnRc for the first time at age 56 totally out of my comfort zone. That was 2014. I now ride everything except tower of terror. EE is one of my favorite ones. I figure its not going to kill me and my 19 year old grandson who travels with me thinks I am the cool grandma

You know, maybe it was more than an hour before I rode? Could that make a difference? Also, I find it interesting that you had the worst experience on BTMRR- that's one of the ONLY coasters I don't feel miserable before or after! I'm also ok with SDMT. However EE, ToT, and RnR ruined me for more than a few hours afterward. The Teacups and Mission:Space are completely out of the question. Anything that spins is pure torture. Meanwhile my 12 year old hates (that's putting it mildly) any kind of coaster and loves all the spinning rides. My 10 year old loves everything and since DH doesn't like big rides at all, I usually try and ride the big ones with my youngest. Last summer we went to a local amusement park with a huge pendulum-type swinging pirate ship, which used to be my absolute favorite ride there. After the 3rd swing, I was shaking so badly I thought I might pass out. Longest boat ride of my life! Lol. That was before our last trip to WDW and I thought it was just a fluke. Didn't imagine it would happen again a few months later.
So far, based on people's responses, I am going to give Dramamine another shot and also make sure I have a full stomach and I'm not dehydrated. Going next month!

The active ingredient in regular Dramamine is meclizine. I believe the Dramamine non drowsy is just ginger. Check the label for active ingredients. The peak effectiveness for meclizine occurs at around 3 hours. The range of effectiveness is generally 1.5 to 6 hours, so I would take about 1.5 before rides. Meclizine is well absorbed whether you take it with or without food. Ginger is interesting because there are some clinical studies that have shown little to no efficacy, and some that show a small reduction is motion sickness. When looking at research, ginger may be effective, meclizine is better, and the scopolamine patch is the big gun. You need a prescription for scolopamine and must be applied behind the ear the night before. It lasts for 48 to 72 hours. None of them work for me, but they do for some people. I am a pharmacist so I thought I’d give my 2 cents on the timing. I really wish there was a magic pill that could get rid of motion sickness for everyone without side effects. No such luck.

42 here, and I'm not at all afraid, I have no anxiety, my problem is that rides are starting to make my head and neck hurt, and are leaving me with a headache. I noticed it especially last year, not so bad at WDW, but definitely at Universal. I reached for the ibuprofen quite a bit.

The active ingredient in regular Dramamine is meclizine. I believe the Dramamine non drowsy is just ginger. Check the label for active ingredients. The peak effectiveness for meclizine occurs at around 3 hours. The range of effectiveness is generally 1.5 to 6 hours, so I would take about 1.5 before rides. Meclizine is well absorbed whether you take it with or without food. Ginger is interesting because there are some clinical studies that have shown little to no efficacy, and some that show a small reduction is motion sickness. When looking at research, ginger may be effective, meclizine is better, and the scopolamine patch is the big gun. You need a prescription for scolopamine and must be applied behind the ear the night before. It lasts for 48 to 72 hours. None of them work for me, but they do for some people. I am a pharmacist so I thought I’d give my 2 cents on the timing. I really wish there was a magic pill that could get rid of motion sickness for everyone without side effects. No such luck.

Wow. This is very helpful. Thank you for taking the time to explain! I may pursue the patch option with my doctor, but I must admit I think it's too good to be true. Definitely worth looking into. Thanks again

Thank you so much for taking the time to explain it so clearly!

I’m older than you and I still do everything ... but with some adjustments. For instance, I can’t sit in the back car of Space Mountain because it gives me a headache. The same with Rock & Roll. The last car used to be my favorite but now it knocks my head back and forth too much. I’ll also skip Mission Space every once in a while because the ride occasionally makes me a tiny bit nauseous.

Ok- so for the record, I am going to be 46 years old. I believe motherhood has had a definite impact on my now acute sense of mortality (kids are 10 and 12). That being said, MENTALLY I know I won't die on the ride, but physically I have started experiencing visible trembling, racing heart, legs turned to jello and sweaty palms when going on rides. So much so that I am starting to think "maybe I'm just getting too old for this ****" I used to LOVE Expedition Everest, for instance. The last time I went on it, I was nauseous and had a headache the rest of the day! And let's not even discuss my reaction after getting off Rockin' Rollercoaster last year! I was more than halfway through the ride (1st time riding it) when I realized it wasn't that the ride was in pitch darkness, it was because I had MY EYES CLOSED! My body's reaction has left me feeling betrayed! When the heck did I become such a sissy?
Anyone have any advice on how to get back to a normal sense of calmness? Is it just me? Do I need to ask my doctor for meds maybe? Anyone else experiencing this?
The weird thing is I get braver the older so get👀

I'm also in my 70s, but there is no secret. Watch your weight, stay physically and mentally active and don't over do anything. Just common sense stuff.

This! I'm 72 and ride anything I used to except some of the coasters. Have neck issues so have had to cut back on the jerky ones. 40's is awfully young to be thinking 'old'!! LOL I felt I was still young at that age, and really I was. But it does make a difference if you keep fit with healthy weight and physically active. Dh & I still hike and ride our bicycles.

LOL! I *am* physically fit! I run 2-4 miles a day and watch what I eat and also stay active with my husband and kids. I literally NEVER stop running around! Gotta stay in shape to keep pace with my kids’ busy schedules. LOL. I *STILL* get this ridiculous anxiety before the ride and then the headache and nausea afterward that never used to be there. It’s the motion sickness that’s gotten the best of me lately. I wish I was able to say it wasn’t getting worse as I age, but it is. It stinks!

You're not alone, for me it's the rides like Astro Orbiter, Mission Space, etc.. I used to not get dizzy, but now(I'm 42), I get uncomfortably dizzy on these rides, and leave with a headache.

LOL! I *am* physically fit! I run 2-4 miles a day and watch what I eat and also stay active with my husband and kids. I literally NEVER stop running around! Gotta stay in shape to keep pace with my kids’ busy schedules. LOL. I *STILL* get this ridiculous anxiety before the ride and then the headache and nausea afterward that never used to be there. It’s the motion sickness that’s gotten the best of me lately. I wish I was able to say it wasn’t getting worse as I age, but it is. It stinks!

Well, I can understand that - issues like that can bother us at any age.

Same. Way more dizzy etc after rides now in my 40s, but I started noticing it after my 2nd pregnancy. Swings etc all bother me now but never used to. I could do every ride at Six Flags (chaperoning high school students) before I had my DD but now I feel dizzy if I sit on a hammock.

Same. Way more dizzy etc after rides now in my 40s, but I started noticing it after my 2nd pregnancy. Swings etc all bother me now but never used to. I could do every ride at Six Flags (chaperoning high school students) before I had my DD but now I feel dizzy if I sit on a hammock.
*YES*!!! Exactly how I used to be. Used to love going to Six Flags and would ride Free Fall over and over...
Anyway, made an appointment with my primary care physician in a week or so to discuss the motion sickness. I think the anxiety is mainly caused by fear of getting sick - oh, and dying on the ride. UGH. May need a different kind of doctor for that one! LOL

They certainly rattle my old bones a lot more! My first FP next trip is Space Mountain😱, I know that it is going to be painful.

They certainly rattle my old bones a lot more! My first FP next trip is Space Mountain😱, I know that it is going to be painful.
My neck was killing me last year after I rode SM. If I were you I would probably move that FP to later in the day so your aching bones don't hurt all day! LOL. I remember the last time I rode SM I made sure I held on for dear life and tensed up really tight so my body wouldn't jar around as much. Not sure if that is a good idea...but in my case it helped save a pain in my neck all day!

When I was 6, after we rode TOT I asked my mom, "That was it....?" I'm still only 24 but now TOT scares the heck out of me. I still love it, but I'm shaky when I get off because of how tense I am while riding. I think it's just because I understand the concept of mortality now aha.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter