*The Official VILLAS AT DISNEY'S GRAND FLORIDIAN RESORT & SPA Owners & Lovers Group*

GrandFloridian-4-768x1024.jpg
Seems like there are going with a two-tone color scheme now, with white trim and eggshell? paneling. I'm pretty sure it has always been one shade of white. I like the new look.

...or maybe they just aren't done painting yet.

Railing Refurbishment Moves to Center of Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort Lobby

Planters no longer block the view of the lobby directly in front of the Monorail station. A PhotoPass photographer was available in this space when we stopped by.

grand floridian construction 1374

Instead, the planters are around a section of the second-floor railings at the other end of the lobby.

grand floridian construction 1373

We saw some paneling behind the planters, potentially to be used to cover the floor.

grand floridian construction 1370

Seating is now just available on the outskirts of the lobby and construction walls block most of the space.

grand floridian construction 1375

Plywood covers the floor, keeping it protected from the two lifts and other construction materials.

grand floridian construction 1376

Crews have been using the lifts to reach railings and columns of the guest floors above — replacing, refurbishing, and repainting various sections.

grand floridian construction 1377

The top three floors have white scrim up against their railings.

grand floridian construction 1378
grand floridian construction 1381

grand floridian construction 1382
grand floridian construction 1380

We found the crew members painting white columns near the front of the lobby.

grand floridian construction 1383

grand floridian construction 1384
grand floridian construction 1385

Although seating has been moved back into this area below the Monorail station, it was not yet open this morning as crews finished preparing the area.

grand floridian construction 1386

Red velvet ropes blocked the couches and chairs from guest access.

grand floridian construction 1403

Grand Floridian Exterior Construction​

grand floridian construction 1388

Meanwhile, scaffolding still covers the building around and above Gasparilla Island Grill.

grand floridian construction 1389

The quick-service restaurant remains open despite construction on the guest room balconies above it.

grand floridian construction 1390

Guests just need to walk through a tunnel of construction walls.

grand floridian construction 1392

Another entrance in the construction walls is just for crew members.

grand floridian construction 1393
grand floridian construction 1394

Significantly more scaffolding has been installed, reaching all the way up to the roof and extending to a closed ramp near the Grand Floridian Café entrance.

grand floridian construction 1395
grand floridian construction 1396

Above, we could see construction materials on balconies and through balcony doors.

grand floridian construction 1397

One door was lined with blue painter’s tape and had a sign taped to it. The balcony chairs were stacked and covered in plastic.

grand floridian construction 1400
grand floridian construction 1401

A temporary ramp has been set up at a different entrance to replace the closed one during construction.

Last edited:
Darn ... the walls were up in the front portion of the lobby for like 5-6 weeks, which makes me think the majority of the lobby will still be blocked off when I arrive at the end of August. :guilty:

Oh well. Happy to be at the Grand, and better to be prepared!

It looks to me like the furniture is part of the new color scheme/aesthetic ... but it's on the current carpet ... this is SUCH a "first world problem" but it is a bit of an eyesore currently, isn't it??

Question. We have a Resort Studio in a couple of weeks. I'd assume this is in BPK and not the original VGF building. Should I go to the Villas to check in or the regular lobby?

I'd check in online so that you just get a text when the room is ready, but you could do the main lobby since it's closer to BPK if you want to do it in person.
Good point. We do like going through the lobbies, though I guess we don't really have to.

Has anyone stayed in BPK lately who could comment on the noise issue? I currently have a studio booked in the original dvc building but I’m thinking about waitlisting a resort studio as I do like the idea of having two real beds. I’m a big nervous about the noise though…

Has anyone stayed in BPK lately who could comment on the noise issue? I currently have a studio booked in the original dvc building but I’m thinking about waitlisting a resort studio as I do like the idea of having two real beds. I’m a big nervous about the noise though…
We stayed in one for 4 nights this past January and our noise issues were minimal. I did put a towel on the floor by the door to block noise/light, which may have helped, but outside of a few noises here and there from the room above us (we could hear people walking a couple of times), it wasn't a problem for us. We did not have any of the reported issues of been able to hear conversations from other rooms. We also had a friend stay in a room last November, with no issues as well, fwiw.

I just booked us for a few days at Easter time. I’ve always wanted to stay at GF for Easter and so when my DH agreed to the trip I booked before he could change his mind. When I was booking I had forgotten all about the construction. I did receive an email that there will be construction during my trip and that the walkway will be closed from Feb- late spring.

Just curious as to why the walkway is closed? Dd and I were just there in May and it was closed then too. I understood then since they were working on the buildings near the walkway. I was thinking the construction should be limited to the main building by March 30. I‘m mostly like going to keep the GF for Easter weekend and switch out at 7 months for the rest of the trip.
The Grand just seems perfect for Easter construction or not.

I just booked us for a few days at Easter time. I’ve always wanted to stay at GF for Easter and so when my DH agreed to the trip I booked before he could change his mind. When I was booking I had forgotten all about the construction. I did receive an email that there will be construction during my trip and that the walkway will be closed from Feb- late spring.

Just curious as to why the walkway is closed? Dd and I were just there in May and it was closed then too. I understood then since they were working on the buildings near the walkway. I was thinking the construction should be limited to the main building by March 30. I‘m mostly like going to keep the GF for Easter weekend and switch out at 7 months for the rest of the trip.
The Grand just seems perfect for Easter construction or not.
The walkway reopened when Sago Cay was nearing completion at the end of May.

Did you just get a generic construction notification? The main building is now under construction.

The walkway reopened when Sago Cay was nearing completion at the end of May.

Did you just get a generic construction notification? The main building is now under construction.
Thank you! I did get the general email. I must have seen the walkway closed comment on the booking page and didn’t notice the old dates. I was thinking there was no way I take two trips, 10 months apart, and get stuck with it being closed both times.

Grand Floridian Interior Construction Update - August 2023

The main lobby of Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa is still dominated by construction wall and painting equipment.

1691164240409.jpeg

During the day, crews are working on painting the upper levels of the lobby. Back in June, work began on the section closest to the main entrance and monorail. Now it has moved toward the center of the lobby.

Disneys Grand Floridian Refurb August 2023d

Scrims help protect upper floors while work is being performed.

1691164187116.jpeg

No specific timeline has been revealed for completion. However, the prevailing wisdom suggests that Disney plans to have the bulk of the lobby work done before the Christmas season in order to clear the way for the popular gingerbread display.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter