*** The Official September 2018 Thread *** let's get started to have some fun

If you do need to detour, looks like I-81 to I-40 to I-75 might be your best option. If you end up doing that, PM me. We're very close to I-75 and would be happy to give you a place to stay for the night and/or a hot meal.

You're really sweet. I don't know what we are going to do now. I was thinking the storm would be over by Sunday but it's predicted to stall and cause inland floods. Of course I don't know what anything means because we only get blizzards up here. I feel foolish for not realizing the impact. I don't want to seem petty either because I know safety is more important. This trip meant a lot to us. It was going to be my first venture after recovering from some severe OCD. I'm still trying to negotiate a back up plan. I'm trying to see how I could maybe move the trip around and head down later next week if roads clear. We have trip insurance but I dont know what it really covers. We took the week after our trip off too so time is not a major problem but I dont know what they will accommodate for switcharoos, resrvations, etc.

Quick update: yesterday was our Epcot day. Light crowds till we left around 6:30. Candy Sushi was really fun for our girls. Sadly there were only 5 kids including ours but overall it was great! Today (Monday) HS is crowded. Thank god we did the CL FP. Slinky is over an hour stand by. Headed to ToT then RnR before our Hoop Dee Doo res.

I'd do like others are saying, and re-route. Maybe even leave a day early. Can you get over to I-75?

Thank you :) Would leaving a day early help though? Would Saturday travel be better? It sounds like heavy rainfall and aftermath from whenever it hits through the next week.

I'm suppose to leave Friday night for our trip from York south Carolina (near Charlotte) which takes you down I-77 to I-26 to I-95 well as of tomorrow all eastbound lanes on I-26 will be rerouted to westbound. I'm going to have to either take a ton of back roads or give up the stupid hotwire hotel I booked ( I don't know why I booked that) with no refund and go the much longer way towards Atlanta :/ I'm trying now to figure out what to do.

Thank you :) Would leaving a day early help though? Would Saturday travel be better? It sounds like heavy rainfall and aftermath from whenever it hits through the next week.
It may help with the re-routing - what state will you be driving from?

I'm suppose to leave Friday night for our trip from York south Carolina (near Charlotte) which takes you down I-77 to I-26 to I-95 well as of tomorrow all eastbound lanes on I-26 will be rerouted to westbound. I'm going to have to either take a ton of back roads or give up the stupid hotwire hotel I booked ( I don't know why I booked that) with no refund and go the much longer way towards Atlanta :/ I'm trying now to figure out what to do.
US176 runs parallel to I26 - would that work for you? Also - Contraflow may end once it hits land. However - its supposed to hit on Friday so I would get out of there sooner

It may help with the re-routing - what state will you be driving from?

Eastern New York. I am looking at the routes and it looks like a very extreme detour but I might not be looking at it from the right perspective. It's a weird feeling to have no threat where I am or where I'm going but be thwarted by what's in between.

Eastern New York. I am looking at the routes and it looks like a very extreme detour but I might not be looking at it from the right perspective. It's a weird feeling to have no threat where I am or where I'm going but be thwarted by what's in between.
Then I would take I-78 thru Pennsylvania to I-81. It may add a few hours to the trip - Its about 3 from NYC to Harrisburg, PA, but at least you wouldn't be cancelling

Then I would take I-78 thru Pennsylvania to I-81. It may add a few hours to the trip - Its about 3 from NYC to Harrisburg, PA, but at least you wouldn't be cancelling

I-81 is a nice drive actually. I have driven on it several times. Its up higher so I don't think there will be risks of flooding. And there are apple orchards on the way that have the best apples!!!

US176 runs parallel to I26 - would that work for you? Also - Contraflow may end once it hits land. However - its supposed to hit on Friday so I would get out of there sooner
I wish I could but I can't get off work until 5:00 on Friday. I will check out US 176. Thanks. :)

I'll make the same offer...we're very near I-75 in suburb of Atlanta (North side). PM me if you need a place to crash or a hot meal. At least if you don't have to pay for another hotel it might lessen the blow. On the other hand, the hotel SHOULD give you your money back since it's weather related. If not, get your credit card to go after them.

I-81 is a nice drive actually. I have driven on it several times. Its up higher so I don't think there will be risks of flooding. And there are apple orchards on the way that have the best apples!!!
Oooooh...if you go that way, grab me some apples please!!!

If nothing else, it would give you extra time. I think you have to gauge where you're coming from and how much the impact is expected to be. But I'd definitely take a few hours' detour and leave a day (or even two) early rather than cancel the entire trip.

I just bit the bullet and we're now heading down on Wednesday afternoon...our flight was scheduled to leave on the 13th from Long Island. Usual flight pattern brings us right through storm area...Good luck with your plans!
Good for you, really no need for worry now :thumbsup2 We're flying out of Westchester at 9:30 am Thurs and so far I *think* it's early enough that we should be ok. It looks to me like maybe later Fri flights could be affected? And it still might be too early to tell!

Good for you, really no need for worry now :thumbsup2 We're flying out of Westchester at 9:30 am Thurs and so far I *think* it's early enough that we should be ok. It looks to me like maybe later Fri flights could be affected? And it still might be too early to tell!
Good luck with your travels...we were leaving Thursday afternoon originally, feel better that we changed things up. Besides, we get an additional day at Disney! :yay:

Flying from DC--originally scheduled to fly out Friday morning, but was just able to switch to flying out of DC at 4:40 pm on Wednesday. I'm hoping we'll be fine. Course, DC is supposed to get hammered with rain but nothing I could do about that if I were here, so might as well continue the vacation as planned. Crossing my fingers!

EPCOT today. For the first time, ever, (for us)Test Track was less than the time posted. Sign said 35 minutes. Spaceship Earth, however, double the time posted. FP on Soarin - walked right on.
FP for Illuminations was worth it. Lovely view and we were out of Dodge lickety split. :boat:

Teppan Edo for dinner - excellent! We debated canceling the ADR because of F & W. shhhh - this is our little secret - we don't like the food offered at F & W. It is just like the stuff they had at the Flower and Garden show. Some of it went right into the garbage can after the first bite. The idea is awesome - the fatty pieces of meat not so much.

Ohhh - Practically nobody is doing discounts. I ask every time. TIW, DVC, AP. CMs apologize and tell me to keep asking.

I'll make the same offer...we're very near I-75 in suburb of Atlanta (North side). PM me if you need a place to crash or a hot meal. At least if you don't have to pay for another hotel it might lessen the blow. On the other hand, the hotel SHOULD give you your money back since it's weather related. If not, get your credit card to go after them.

Thank you, my cousin that's going with me her mom lives just about an hour from Atlanta if we have to go that way we can crash with her. From the latest updates I think we will be okay traveling the other way if South Carolina opens back up the roads it will be even easier.

Flying from DC--originally scheduled to fly out Friday morning, but was just able to switch to flying out of DC at 4:40 pm on Wednesday. I'm hoping we'll be fine. Course, DC is supposed to get hammered with rain but nothing I could do about that if I were here, so might as well continue the vacation as planned. Crossing my fingers!

Was supposed to be flying out Thursday morning out of DC, but I changed my plans to leave DC Wednesday on a 3:38 flight! Adding my crossed fingers to yours!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter