• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Official Riviera Owners & Info Thread

He's done the same type of thing with the Contemporary. The video got clicks and negative titled videos will always outperform positive ones. He's gone in with the intent for content and achieved it. Still, there's an underlying theme I agree with: when you pay so much for a stay, guest expectations increase and Disney no longer deliver on the same quality while jacking up the prices.

This youtuber could have visited ANY Disney deluxe resort and achieved the same outcome for his channel.
Yeah. I think it’s pretty obvious when you stay at a Disney resort, you’re paying a significant premium to be next to some of the world’s most popular theme parks. You're paying more and a good chunk of the time getting less but if you're a Disney fan and going to the parks is important to you then you’ll pay it to be in the Disney bubble at WDW. If not, why would you? A bunch of people are on there commenting I could stay at a real French Riviera resort for cheaper and it’s like.. well duh. But that French resort won’t have direct access to 2 Disney theme parks. Obviously if I wanted to go to France I’d just go to France and skip the theme parks but I want to go to Disney. This isn’t meant to be a replacement for the French Riviera. The whole thing is just infuriating lol. Thank you everyone for coming to my vent session 😂

Last edited:
Yeah. I think it’s pretty obvious when you stay at a Disney resort, you’re paying a significant premium to be next to some of the world’s most popular theme parks. You're paying more and a good chunk of the time getting less but if you're a Disney fan and going to the parks is important to you then you’ll pay it to be in the Disney bubble at WDW. If not, why would you? A bunch of people are on there commenting I could stay at a real French Riviera resort for cheaper and it’s like.. well duh. But that French resort won’t have direct access to 2 Disney theme parks. Obviously if I wanted to go to France I’d just go to France and skip the theme parks but I want to go to Disney. This isn’t meant to be a replacement for the French Riviera. The whole thing is just infuriating lol. Thank you everyone for coming to my vent session 😂
Totally agree. I look at his guy as an "outsider" staying a DVC resort. In other words, DVC'ers know that they have invested significant $$$ in the Disney brand because we like that brand and everything associated with it, while this guy has no connection to Disney at all other than being a travel blogger. He is motivated by clicks and as a PP said, sometimes negative blogs get more clicks than positive ones.

I'm not sure if us being DVC'ers means that we are willing to "overlook" some things, or we just are more educated in what to expect with Disney, but either way - this video might be a good thing if it gets traction, so DVD can look into some of the complaints. The valid ones, at least. Of which he didn't have many valid ones.

Totally agree. I look at his guy as an "outsider" staying a DVC resort. In other words, DVC'ers know that they have invested significant $$$ in the Disney brand because we like that brand and everything associated with it, while this guy has no connection to Disney at all other than being a travel blogger. He is motivated by clicks and as a PP said, sometimes negative blogs get more clicks than positive ones.

I'm not sure if us being DVC'ers means that we are willing to "overlook" some things, or we just are more educated in what to expect with Disney, but either way - this video might be a good thing if it gets traction, so DVD can look into some of the complaints. The valid ones, at least. Of which he didn't have many valid ones.
I think we forgive a lot if the resort is on property. IMO Bay Lake Tower is the prime example of this. Anywhere else in the world those rooms probably go for 150-200 per night if that. Drop it in the middle of seven seas lagoon and across the street from the most visited theme park in the world and the price skyrockets. There are only a few resorts on WDW property that could hold their own as a resort when dropped somewhere else like AKV. I think the issue is he keeps isolating these resorts from their best asset which is obviously their location.

Last edited:
I think we forgive a lot if the resort is on property. IMO Bay Lake Tower is the prime example of this. Anywhere else in the world those rooms probably go for 150-200 per night if that. Drop it in the middle of seven seas lagoon and across the street from the world's most visited theme park in the world and the price skyrockets. There are only a few resorts on WDW property that could hold their own as a resort when dropped somewhere else like AKV. I think the issue is he keeps isolating these resorts from their best asset which is obviously their location.
Good point. The same pricing issues could be said for an "average" hotel on the Vegas Strip or on Waikiki beach. It's not only WDW. The guy does a disservice to his viewers by complaining about the cost without any context.

One of the other things to add is the common person can't tell the difference between a DVC only resort vs one that has a hotel component. They see the grand lobbies of like GF, Jambo House, Wilderness Lodge and go like wow Disney used to be amazing, look how far their theming has fallen. They don't realize that this is meant for DVC which has never had these lobbies, the comparable DVC counterparts obviously being Kidani Village, Boulder Ridge. But a video like this comes out and everyone goes Disney has lost its artistry /facepalm

he basically just trashed Riviera because of the tower rooms which obviously are expensive for what you get when you pay cash and barely talked about the other room types and it basically turned into a Riviera hate fest lol.

more like it's supposed to help other people know what this guy's opinion is. Who cares?
It's not even really about his opinion, I think he was just after clicks/views. There seems to be a big market for bashing Disney so he figured he would capitalize on that. Unfortunately generating outrage sells. Sigh.

Riviera suffers from two main issues in my mind. The first, of course, is restrictions. From the get-go the online DVC community was overtly hostile to the resort in response. It's still difficult to separate the dislike of restrictions from the resort for many. There was a time in 2019 when it was best not to mention that you bought Riviera here. The scorn and ridicule about making financially frivolous decisions was readily dished out. It's gotten a lot better!

The second is nostalgia: there is none. Resorts at WDW are popular because of generational memories and brand. Riviera has had to forge its own path. This will happen.

As owners have started to develop relationships with the resort the intense criticism has subsided quite a bit online. The polynesian tower will be the next victim. Go back and read the reaction to VGF opening. It was not well received to say the least.

Hating on Riviera will eventually ebb and I look forward to the day we can all return to collectively hating Saratoga 😉
Laughing at this. Fam of original SSR Owners here. Bought back in 2004 and about to celebrate 20 years as part of DVC and all the joy + memories it has brought me + my family and multiple generations. We are truly lucky. Anyway, huge Riviera fan here - have been since it was first announced. I thought, and still think some of the criticism is ridiculous. Obviously everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but the bashing in most circumstances is silly. Some parts of the DVC community loves to hate "new" and "change." If I got a $1 for every time I read someone referencing that the resort felt like a "Westin..." Guess what? Westin pioneered many concepts into the hotel world: triple sheeting (removing those nasty comforters that were never washed), scents (in this case - white tea) in the lobby, sneaker rentals to promote exercise when your suitcase is too full, heavenly shower (rain shower heads), the list goes on... It's a beloved brand with many Marriott Bonvoy loyalists. I would think it's a good idea to emulate aspects of Westin.

Also - this is called capitalism - if rates are expensive for a "tower room" - guess what? They're charging that because they can get it. Believe me, WDW has a whole team of revenue managers who look at the demand and charge what they can get. I find it hilarious when reviewers go and bash the cost of a room - in this case the "tower rooms" - and what little value it provides. Well it certainly provides value to some - I can guarantee you that the "tower rooms" are not sitting vacant every night.

SSR was hated at the beginning too, as alluded to, and was really hated all the way through to the renovation. Fast forward to now and SSR is no longer the most despised - but it took a transformative renovation + the complete overhaul of Downtown Disney > Disney Springs to get here. As the product ages + goes through wear & tear, the resort will become despised again. And so goes the cycle of favorites and least favorites. At least these resorts aren't actual children. 😊

This is a thing?!

Does Disney resorts offer this?
Not sure if Disney does this, but Westin does! As I said, they're great pioneers of concepts.

WESTINWORKOUT GEAR LENDING​

Stay active while on the go with our WestinWORKOUT® Gear Lending Kits. We’ve partnered with fitness experts to bring you top-of-the-line recovery and strength training equipment that helps you stay motivated wherever your travels may take you.

Question for those who know RR best…
My wife and I were gifted a 3 night preferred studio this coming March. I’d like to know what request to put in for. We do like higher floors And close to refillable drink station.

Question for those who know RR best…
My wife and I were gifted a 3 night preferred studio this coming March. I’d like to know what request to put in for. We do like higher floors And close to refillable drink station.

The refillable stations are on the first floor in the QS location and outside Bar RiVa across from the pool.

We like the ones that face the lake..most do…but if I was requesting, it would be it!

Hello 👋 We are renting points to stay 5 nights in a preferred studio in May 2024. I’m excited since this will be our first time at RR!
I was just wondering where the trash rooms are? I hope this doesn’t sound like a weird question 😂

Hello 👋 We are renting points to stay 5 nights in a preferred studio in May 2024. I’m excited since this will be our first time at RR!
I was just wondering where the trash rooms are? I hope this doesn’t sound like a weird question 😂
Please sir, we refer to those as the tower studios :P

In all seriousness I'm not sure but they do daily trash service so it's not something I've ever had to worry about! Hopefully someone else can answer!

Please sir, we refer to those as the tower studios :P

In all seriousness I'm not sure but they do daily trash service so it's not something I've ever had to worry about! Hopefully someone else can answer!
No no no, lol we are staying in a deluxe studio, with 2 beds. Not the tiny tower studio 😂 Also I’m a woman, so not a sir 😜 I thought if we rent points we have to take care of our own trash? Is that not true? Because that is awesome if I don’t have to worry about it 🙌

No no no, lol we are staying in a deluxe studio, with 2 beds. Not the tiny tower studio 😂 Also I’m a woman, so not a sir 😜 I thought if we rent points we have to take care of our own trash? Is that not true? Because that is awesome if I don’t have to worry about it 🙌
You do not have to take care of your own trash! They will come in and take your trash for you and you will receive fresh towels on day 4. They treat those who rent the same as owners :) Also apologies madame

To clarify, you don't have to wait until day 4 for trash; they do a room check & trash/recycle pickup daily. If you have the "room occupied" sign out throughout the morning, eventually they'll call and try to find a good time to do the room check & trash pickup. Day 4 is the full housekeeping service with fresh towels, sheets, etc.

Just booked our October 2024 stay and can’t wait. When we come we tend to stay for a while as we travel from the UK so now thinking through park tickets etc.

Shame there’s no Moonlight Magic whilst we’re there (unless they add more dates), but we thought we’d never get to one of them and coincidentally got to go to EPCOT Moonlight Magic in February this year. That said, my t-shirts got delivered to Riv the day after we left so we don’t have any t-shirts :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter