The Official New Mom Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been wanting to start one since I've had Kaleb...but everytime I start a thread it dies...so I didn't want that to happen. :teeth: Kaleb will be 3 months on on April 12. He is starting to sleep much better. He goes down around 8:30 and gets up once. This week though he keeps waking up at 4-4:30 and since I get up at 5:30...that just wasn't cutting it. So one morning instead of getting up and getting him out of bed to nurse him, I just let him cry to see what would happen...after a couple of minutes he went back to sleep! Yay! :banana: :cool1: So I have gotten full nights rest all this week...though I still wake up a million times a night. :confused3 I have been exercising to lose my weight. I have only 9 more pounds of pregnancy weight and then I need to lose another 10. I've just been eating healthy...no sugar, no pasta, or potatoes...only whole wheat pasta and sweet potatoes and whole wheat bread. I exercise with Denise Austin every morning for 1 hour. I LOVE her shows. I feel wonderful and have SO much more energy since I've been exercising. Some days DH and the kids and I walk a mile in the evening, and sometimes I walk the kids to the park, which is a half mile away. I too wish I could take them to WDW and walk there...but 3 hours is a little far to drive everyday. :teeth: DH and I are planning on going up for the day on April 23....I've never been in April...how bad will the crowds be?

I am BFing, but supplementing with formula because he wants to nurse WAY too much..and since I have 3 other little ones...I just can't do it. I've never had to supplement before...so it's been weird.

I can't imagine having to work a full time job on top of just having had a baby.... I am so thankful that I can be a SAHM. I am starting to watch my cousins new baby..she is 6 weeks old...it will be fun watching her and Kaleb grow up together and it will be GREAT having another girl inthe house. :teeth:
Well, I'll check in again tomorrow. The boys want lunch....all of them. :flower:

justhat said:
My daughter is 13 months, so kinda new! She just slept through the night for the very first time in her life 2 days ago, from 9pm-7am-I was very excited till she woke up twice again last night. Oh well. One day we'll get there. It was just so exciting when she'd sleep 6 hours at a time when she was 1-4 months, then it all went downhill from there.

Emmaline, maybe we'll see you walking around WDW-we'll be there the 18th-26th!!

My children have all done that. They all slept through the night really young and then they reverting back to waking up. With DS1+2 we use the "let them cry themselves back to sleep" method. But thats not for everyone. With DS 3(who is incredibly spoiled by all) I got him up and nursed him in bed everynight until I weaned him. Then he still woke up, so he cryed himself back to sleep then...I didn't have anything for him. :teeth:

With DS 4 I plan on letting him cry himself back to sleep too...I felt HORRIBlE when I was waking up and nursing DS 3 everynight...I don't want to feel so yucky this time. But it's hard letting them cry it out. You feel horrible and you can't sleep either because they are crying..but it usually only takes a few days and they get the idea. It's worked great for us..all of our kids are great sleepers. They NEVER give us a hard time about bedtime and they all take afternoon naps....AT the SAME time. :cloud9:

Looking back, I would probably have decided to return to work later in April or May. I used all my sick time, so I had the 12 weeks of FML to use. I only used about six weeks. Although it's nice to get out of the house and be around adults, it would have been great to wait until Jimmy was a little bigger and on a better schedule.
He, too, likes to get up once a night, and it just kills me. It's usually right when I'm sound asleep, and I feel like the walking dead getting up to heat a bottle. DH has been very helpful these last couple of nights. He's been changing Jimmy and heating the bottle. I just get to sit up for 20+ minutes while he eats.
I have about 14 more baby pounds to lose. I lost 10 right before I got pg, so I'm almost back to the pre-diet weight. I could sure use some extra energy these days! I really need to get in the habit of taking Jimmy for a walk when we get home in the afternoons. I'm sure you all know just how much other stuff needs to be done in your homes (and our home isn't very big).
I would so love to be going to WDW sometime soon! DH and I had planned on going for my 30th (4/26), but that just isn't going to happen. I think Jimmy is just too small to go right now, and I have no time to use at work. I'm thinking our next trip will be sometime after Jimmy's 1st b-day. The weather should be cooler, and the crowds should be lighter.

Another new mom checking in! Baby Russ is three weeks old and I'm over the total exhaustion. Of course, it helps that he started out sleeping 6-7 hours at night... :) We're down to 4-5 hours right now due to a growth spurt.

I've lost 22 of the 33 lbs I gained already. I'm almost ready to start doing some sit-ups!

I can't wait to start booking our Disneyland trip this fall! We have to wait on DH's deployment dates, though. Right now he leaves at the end of April for 60 days. After he gets back from that one, we'll find out when the next one is and can start planning around it. We haven't had a vacation since Dec. 2003 so we're really looking forward to it!

MommyPoppins said:
My children have all done that. They all slept through the night really young and then they reverting back to waking up. With DS1+2 we use the "let them cry themselves back to sleep" method. But thats not for everyone. With DS 3(who is incredibly spoiled by all) I got him up and nursed him in bed everynight until I weaned him. Then he still woke up, so he cryed himself back to sleep then...I didn't have anything for him. :teeth:

With DS 4 I plan on letting him cry himself back to sleep too...I felt HORRIBlE when I was waking up and nursing DS 3 everynight...I don't want to feel so yucky this time. But it's hard letting them cry it out. You feel horrible and you can't sleep either because they are crying..but it usually only takes a few days and they get the idea. It's worked great for us..all of our kids are great sleepers. They NEVER give us a hard time about bedtime and they all take afternoon naps....AT the SAME time. :cloud9:

Ya know, we tried that, but she just won't cry herself to sleep! We should have guessed that based on her hours of nonstop crying when we'd drive from DC to NJ and back, but no, we tried anyway. She has cried up to 3 hours straight during the night (and after that I just can't take it anymore so I get her)! As she got older, she'd cry for awhile, maybe an hour or so, then start playing, babbling to herself, etc. She'd to that for 2 or 3 hours, then cry again for however long it took to get her milk. This would go on for weeks at a time.

So I thought to myself, is it worth it to me to stay up for hours in the middle of the night for her to eventually sleep, but only after weeks, mayble longer? I decided no. So I nursed her whenever she woke during the night till a week ago cause I got much more sleep that way. But we're going on vacation on Monday, and though the 1st week will be very relaxing, the 2nd week is at Disney, and I decided I did not want to walk around the parks all day with broken sleep everynight so I decided to stop the night nursing. The 1st 2 nights were bad, but then she got better, and slept all night 2 nights ago, but last night we were back to where we started. She'll wake up, cry for an hour, fall asleep for maybe an hour, then wake up, cry another hour, etc. This goes on till I nurse her around 6:30-7am. I'm hoping the end is in sight cause we don't have much time left!

Hi New Moms! :wave:

We had a good night here again last night. Allie slept from 8:30 - 6:00 last night. Yay! :cheer2: I don't know how we got so lucky but I hope it sticks. DS was even asleep by around 9 last night. DH and I were sitting on the couch at 9:30 and couldn't believe that both kids were sound asleep. We finally had some alone time and we were both so tired all we wanted to do was sleep! :rolleyes:

My back is doing fairly well today but I really don't have the patience for waiting for it to heal. It is driving me crazy but I know I still need the time. I pulled Allie out of her car seat when she got home yesterday and felt my back give a little. Ouch! :(

It looks like I have talked DH into making a WDW trip in December. Nathan will be 3 1/2 and I am sure he will have a great time. Allie will only be 10 months old then and I hope she will be able to handle it. We will have to determine as the trip gets closer how well she will be able to handle the trip. DH thinks we should stay at All Star Movies and I think it would be lots of fun but I think DS would just have so much fun at AKL that I am torn. It is a lot more money to stay at AKL and I don't know if I can justify it...after all he can see the animals at AK, right?

Madison went to WDW last December-she was 9 months at the time- and she had a great time. She was young enough to go wherever I wanted, but old enough to actually enjoy some of the rides and shows. She loved the characters and parades. We stayed at ASMu and my husband said next time we're paying more to stay at a deluxe cause the far away bus stops with huge crowds annoyed him. I didn't mind it at all though (and I was by myself with her for 2.5 of the 4 days) and would think your son would love ASMo.

justhat said:
Madison went to WDW last December-she was 9 months at the time- and she had a great time. She was young enough to go wherever I wanted, but old enough to actually enjoy some of the rides and shows. She loved the characters and parades. We stayed at ASMu and my husband said next time we're paying more to stay at a deluxe cause the far away bus stops with huge crowds annoyed him. I didn't mind it at all though (and I was by myself with her for 2.5 of the 4 days) and would think your son would love ASMo.
I want to go back sooner then we are planning, but Dh says DS is too young. Hopefully DH will have a new job soon and then we can plan his vacation time. I can't wait to bring DS to WDW! I just hope he will love it as much as I do.

OK one little rant. Why oh why does DS 6 mos old have to fight me for naps. He gets SOOOO tired and then he doesn't want to lay down. UGH todat was bad, I finally gave up and put him in his crib. He fussed for 10 mins and then finally fell asleep. OK rant over...I love being a mom!

lissawynn & becka- Since our babies are about the same age, I have a question for you. How much formula does your baby drink a day? I am starting to gradually introduce my DD to formula before she starts daycare on the 18th, and I am wondering about how many bottles (and how much) of formula I should send. We have been giving her a bottle before she goes to bed, and sometimes she drinks 4 oz and sometimes only 2. I know the amount she drinks is based on her needs at the time, but I would like to have an idea of what a baby her age usually drinks so we don't waste formula.

J&D Jimmy is strictly bottle fed. He probably goes through about 6, 6oz. bottles a day. Sometimes he eats more, sometimes less. Yesterday he had 7 oz. in one sitting, and I couldn't believe it. He does like to eat, though.

I am trying to talk DH into a trip to WDW next January. My sister, her DS, and DH would probably go with us. I'm also trying to convince my DM to come, too. She's been to WDW once. I think it was 1989, and it was during Christmas. She HATED it. The crowds were terrible, and the lines were so long. I think she's warming up to the idea of going with her grandsons, though. We'll have to start the serious discussions soon.

Jimmy slept for 6 hours straight last night! I overslept this morning. I just can't win. :confused3

hi guys..

anybody out there feeding their little ones regular food now? i am having such a time trying to get my little one to eat.. last night we had chicken pot pie.. i gave her some chicken and carrots with peas and at first she was eating the peas and then she quit and refused to eat anything else.. so, what did i do? i gave her a grilled cheese which she sucks down every time.. can a baby live on grilled cheese and fruit? she does eat fruit really good.. loves bananas, pears, pineapple, and grapes.. any ideas on something i can try to feed her next.. like simple, easy things.. i hate cooking.. haha

Leah

copper68 My nephew lives on chicken nibblers/fingers and hotdogs. I know they're not the most healthy options, but at least he's eating. He also loves fruit and veggies. I think as long as your daughter is eating the grilled cheese and fruit, she's ok.

I can't wait to start to give Jimmy some cereal! When did you moms start your babies on cereal? Also, was it in their bottles or from a spoon?

J&D: my dd is 3 months and she has 4 bottles a day with between 6 & 7 ounces in them. She is getting to be a bit of a chubb! But she is also sleeping 9 to 11 hours straight at night! So she must be getting all the formula she needs during the day!

To all the moms thinking of bringing their little ones to wdw: do it! I fed my dd her bottle at the beginning of the Beauty and the Beast show at the Studios the other night and by the time she was done eating she was WATCHING the show! I thought I was seeing things, but then the lady next to me said, "She is watching!". We both couldn't believe it!

My doctor said we will start foods at 4 months. I guess we will find out what and how exactly when we go to the doctor on May 12!

I'll be honest with you ladies: I already gave her a tiny taste of a Strawberry Swirl from the Enchanted Grove in the MK this week. It is my absolute favorite treat and figured it HAD to be her 1st "food". :earsboy: Believe me my dd LOVED it!

Happy Friday Ladies!

el

i believe i started my dd on cereal at about 5 months.. and she ate it from a spoon.. she did really well with it too..

DD it eating about 26-30 ounces a day. She likes to eat smaller amounts frequently through the day. I wish I could get her to do 4 7 oz. bottles but instead we do around 4 4-oz bottles and 2 7-oz bottles a day between 6:00-8:00 since she is sleeping almost 10 hours a night. She does not finish all of the formula in each bottle all the time.

We started DS on rice cereal around 4 months with a spoon. It was watered down with formula so much it was hard to call it cereal but by the time he was 5 months old he was eating it pretty well twice a day. I will probably start about the same age with Allie. It is hard to believe that won't be very long.

DS has always been a pretty good eater. When he started eating table foods he liked yogurt, applesauce, fruits (bananas, canned pear/peaches), sweet potatoes (baked in the microwave and cut into bite-sized pieces), oatmeal, green beans, corn, cooked carrots, cottage cheese, mac & cheese, breads especially banana bread but he liked carrot bread too, etc.. We just offered him everything that we were eating that we figured he could handle and let him take it from there.

As for our trip planning I feel pretty confident that we could have a great trip with Allie at 10 months but DH is not as sure and I know my parents and other friends think I am nuts. I think DH forgets that babies about that age are usually pretty portable. ;)

I have a feeling I will be really torn over the resort decision for a while. I know DS would love All Star Movies but he is just the biggest animal fan and the thing he wants to see most at WDW is "the animal place". He is always looking at pictures of AK and AKL in the brochures and that is the section of the planning video he wants to watch over and over. I know that AKL would be such a HUGE deal for him although if we stayed at ASMo and just went to AK he will still be happy and we could save lots of money. :)

Kurt started cereal at about 3 months, by spoon and every now and then by bottle. He was a very hearty eater, though. He would suck down an 8 oz bottle, burp, and look at me like "OK, where's the next one lady?" I started him on baby veggies(carrots, sweet potatoes, and squash) aroung 4 months. He was showing major intrest in food. He just started eating the 3rd foods. I don't like them though. As soon as I open a jar it liquifies. :confused3 I don't get it, I thought this was supposed to be filled with less water and thicker, but it seems runnyer than the 2nd foods. So I am thinking of putting what I cook in the blender. He can tolerate food really well. He now has 2 bottom teeth. I thought his top 2 would come in next, but it looks like 2 more bottom teeth are trying to push through. It must be soooooo painful....he's waking up screaming again. :guilty: How old did you start real food? I was told a year or to watch for certain signs. He already picks up small objects btw his thumb and forefinger, and he chews.
Have a great friday!!!:grouphug:

Madison started cereal at 6 months, then veggies and fruits around 7 months. Around 9 months she decided she did not like baby food anymore so she's been eating regular food pretty much since then. She started with finger foods like Gerber Puffs around 8 months, so moving to people food after that was easy. She didn't get any teeth till 10 months and still only has 2 teeth but does fine with anything we give her. She'll eat anything you give her now, (except tomatoes, olives, and cranberry sauce) as long as it's not mashed or pureed.

Just back from our 3-week appointment and we definitely have a little basketball player or swimmer here! BR was in the 95% for height and 25% for weight.

Michael is drinking about 18oz of formula at daycare (7:30 - 5:30), then has another 6-10oz of a combo of formula & BM in the evening. I know I consistently produce 4oz for the evening feeding, some days he wants a little bottle to get filled up to sleep, then we get up once a night for another 6oz or so. Other days after I feed him he's done until 3 or so.

With finger foods - once they were old enough to eat what we had for dinner I quit making or offering any alternatives. What was for dinner is what there is to eat. My only exceptions were if we were having something they couldn't have (steak, salad). Those nights I supplemented what they couldn't have with something similar. We would cut up the toddler meat sticks to replace steak or chicken, add applesauce or something to round out a meal. I've had great luck with that, and now if my kids are hungry they will eat whatever is for dinner. Some nights they eat more than others, but both are very height/weight proportionate and eat all kinds of good for you stuff. I never got into cooking something different, if I'm making nuggets for them then DH and I eat them too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter