***The Official AKV Owners And Lovers Thread***. Come And Chat

I read allot about there being allot of open availability at AKL Villas at the 7-month mark. My question is is the "open availability" being referred too primarily at Kidani as it is larger, or does Jambo have SV studios and 1BRs open too at 7-months?

Thinking of adding-on and becoming owners at AKL for the advantage of home resort booking to enable us to get rooms at Jambo House as we prefer it over Kidani.

Thanks!
At this point, there is not open availability at 7 months at Jambo or Kidani although that is not how it was before COVID. In fact, for example, there is not open availability even at Kidani for a studio at exactly ten months from today. That may change but it has always been a bit harder to find full availability at Jambo than it is at Kidani at 7 months.

Hello! We are strongly considering renting points to book a stay at Kidani Village for our family trip next year. Everything about the resort and room seem wonderful and a great match for our group.

The one thing that I do see mentioned fairly often about AKL/AKV is the perception that it is isolated by distance from the theme parks (except AK of course) and how this is less than optimal and results in much time during your stay being "wasted" on transportation instead of in the parks. I also have found comments suggesting that these concerns are overblown and it really is not that bad.

We plan to stay for 6 nights, and our plan is to take advantage of rope drop each day and return to the room each day around lunchtime for pool or nap or just relax. Then returning to the parks late afternoon. So, for our plan, I do want to learn more about the realities of transportation between our room and the parks.

From the reading I've done here on DIS boards (great resource!), I think I have a pretty good idea of what it will be like to rely on the bus transportation. However, I would appreciate any opinions or experiences any of you would like to share about staying at AK and using the buses to get to the parks.

One other specific question I have is to ask for any experiences you may have had staying at AK and using the Minnie-Van service. I know that this service is not currently running, and there is no certainty that it will return at all. However, I think there are good indicators that it will return, and my trip is far enough out that I'd like to assume the Minnie Vans will be available. It seems like the Minnie Vans would make transportation to the parks from Kidani even easier, faster, and more reliable. Wondering if anyone has experiencing using these from AKL/AKV before they were shut down? We will not have a rental car, and would probably not use Uber/Lyft (at least in the morning) because of the need to get right to the gates for the (new version of) Extra Magic Hour.

Thanks!

I think Minnie Vans were only an advantage at MK. We stayed at AKV in May and bus transportation was fast and reliable-no concerns at all.

Hello! We are strongly considering renting points to book a stay at Kidani Village for our family trip next year. Everything about the resort and room seem wonderful and a great match for our group.

The one thing that I do see mentioned fairly often about AKL/AKV is the perception that it is isolated by distance from the theme parks (except AK of course) and how this is less than optimal and results in much time during your stay being "wasted" on transportation instead of in the parks. I also have found comments suggesting that these concerns are overblown and it really is not that bad.

We plan to stay for 6 nights, and our plan is to take advantage of rope drop each day and return to the room each day around lunchtime for pool or nap or just relax. Then returning to the parks late afternoon. So, for our plan, I do want to learn more about the realities of transportation between our room and the parks.

From the reading I've done here on DIS boards (great resource!), I think I have a pretty good idea of what it will be like to rely on the bus transportation. However, I would appreciate any opinions or experiences any of you would like to share about staying at AK and using the buses to get to the parks.

One other specific question I have is to ask for any experiences you may have had staying at AK and using the Minnie-Van service. I know that this service is not currently running, and there is no certainty that it will return at all. However, I think there are good indicators that it will return, and my trip is far enough out that I'd like to assume the Minnie Vans will be available. It seems like the Minnie Vans would make transportation to the parks from Kidani even easier, faster, and more reliable. Wondering if anyone has experiencing using these from AKL/AKV before they were shut down? We will not have a rental car, and would probably not use Uber/Lyft (at least in the morning) because of the need to get right to the gates for the (new version of) Extra Magic Hour.

Thanks!

Cannot help on the minivan question.

Going to a park via bus actually has two different distance issues when staying at Kidani. The first one is walking from room to bus station. The Kidani building is about 2/3 mile long (one of the longest single hotel-type buildings in the world, and I mean on earth not just WDW). See this map of Kidani: Kindani_Village_Map.jpg. The front entrance faces west. You will see the bus station on the south wing. The walk from end rooms on the north wing to the bus station is about 6 to 7 minutes at average adult pace, closer to 10 or more with little ones in tow. If you are getting Savanna view, you should have the owner make a request through Member Services that allows you to be closer to lobby and bus station. Two possible requests are close to the Timon elevator (on the south wing which provides very quick access to the door on second floor that leads directly to the bus station), or close to the Rafiki elevator (on the north wing, which provides quickest access to the pool and you are not real far from the bus station). Another option, of course, is having a rental car to use for transportation to parks, and at Kidani every room is fairly close to an elevator that leads directly to the under-building parking lot and thus you can park close to your room.

As to bus transportation, what I have found over many trips is that it is usually better than bus transportation at a number of other resorts because: (a) for no known reason it tends to have fewer delays than other resorts where you wait very long for a bus beyond the usual time it was supposed to come, both at the resort when leaving and at the park when coming back; and (b) it has only two bus stops, Kidani and Jambo and thus avoids multiple stops within the resort and extra stops at other resorts; and (c) particularly during rush times like in the morning, it usually has a direct bus from Kidani to MK and a different one directly from Jambo to MK. Park buses otherwise run Kidani to Jambo to park, when going, and park to Kidani to Jambo returning. As to Disney Springs, they run Jambo to Kidani to DS, and DS to Jambo to Kidani returning.

As to time to get to a park once on a bus, the trip to AK is obviously quick, about 10 minutes from Kidani (shorter from Jambo). The time going to other parks or Disney Springs can be more than some other DVC Resorts but it is a misconception to necessarily believe it is a lot more, For example, in actual miles the trip from Grand Floridian to the entrance of Studios and the the trip from AKL to Studios are the same at just over 5 miles. Typically the trip from Kidani to a park other than AK is in the 25 minute range, shorter from Jambo, and quicker from AK to MK when bus is direct to MK from Kidani.

Last edited:

When I read that the AKL DVC rooms are not due for a refurbishment until 2023, does that mean that they have the regular beds not the sky high ones that are designed to put your suitcases under. I have to pack a foldable step stool if I have a room with the newer bed since I can’t get in the bed without it🤣. I’m only 5’ tall and I literally have to jump and pull myself up in the new beds. We leave in 3 days.Im hoping I don’t have to pack the step stool. Last year they provided one for me but a few months ago at the Yacht Club they said they were no longer allowed to since people got hurt. I had to drag a chair over to get in the bed.

When I read that the AKL DVC rooms are not due for a refurbishment until 2023, does that mean that they have the regular beds not the sky high ones that are designed to put your suitcases under. I have to pack a foldable step stool if I have a room with the newer bed since I can’t get in the bed without it🤣. I’m only 5’ tall and I literally have to jump and pull myself up in the new beds. We leave in 3 days.Im hoping I don’t have to pack the step stool. Last year they provided one for me but a few months ago at the Yacht Club they said they were no longer allowed to since people got hurt. I had to drag a chair over to get in the bed.

Sometimes I just shake my head at the decisions made by Disney - sky high beds. :confused3 Yes, nice for bag storage but I still think the main purpose is sleeping and one shouldn't be risking limbs getting in and out of bed! Anyway, still the same as they were so you should be safe there for now.

I'm really curious to see if they get rid of the ceiling fans when they remodel the rooms. I cannot WAIT till they upgrade the "2nd" bed instead of a pull out couch... that thing wrecked my back.

I'm really curious to see if they get rid of the ceiling fans when they remodel the rooms. I cannot WAIT till they upgrade the "2nd" bed instead of a pull out couch... that thing wrecked my back.

They did not remove the fans in the SSR refurb. Might have noticed that a lot of owners were not happy that they had done it in the BCV refurb. I'm guessing they will leave them at AKV too. I hope so. I have family members that consider them a must have.

I had booked CL for Mother’s Day 2021 but CL didn’t open so we canceled and stayed in a regular DVC room. I’m so excited because my WL for a CL studio just came through for Mother’s Day week 2022!

I was just at Jambo in February, but I am so antsy to get back in December. I'm sitting here watching random vlogs of Jambo house on YouTube.

This last year+ has been so trying that I cannot wait for this solo trip to just get away and relax on my own. I'm going to take it super slow and just relax most of this trip.

I was just at Jambo in February, but I am so antsy to get back in December. I'm sitting here watching random vlogs of Jambo house on YouTube.

This last year+ has been so trying that I cannot wait for this solo trip to just get away and relax on my own. I'm going to take it super slow and just relax most of this trip.
Jambo is my favorite in December! I currently have my birthday weekend (after thanksgiving) and a week mid December. The Christmas decorations are the best!

Jambo is my favorite in December! I currently have my birthday weekend (after thanksgiving) and a week mid December. The Christmas decorations are the best!

This will be my 3rd time there during Christmas. The lobby is truly magical but it's really special during Christmas.

I've been twice during Jambo being shutdown which has been lovely, but it's going to be so nice to see it back open and bustling again in December when I go. I miss the fire and sitting at Victoria Falls at night after the parks.

This will be my 3rd time there during Christmas. The lobby is truly magical but it's really special during Christmas.

I've been twice during Jambo being shutdown which has been lovely, but it's going to be so nice to see it back open and bustling again in December when I go. I miss the fire and sitting at Victoria Falls at night after the parks.
I agree. 2 years ago we did Kidani instead for Christmas and while we enjoyed the extra bathroom, we missed Jambo. We are local and have been on several mini trips to Jambo while it was closed and I cannot wait to see the lobby come alive again.

We were delighted to see that they kept the ceiling fans in SSR when renovating! So hopefully they'll keep the ones in AKL. We would have to set the AC a lot cooler without the fans.

I have a teen, a toddler and DH. Been to Kidani, never Jambo. Poly studio for us or Jambo value 1 bedroom?

I have a teen, a toddler and DH. Been to Kidani, never Jambo. Poly studio for us or Jambo value 1 bedroom?
Poly studio or Jambo 1BR? Interesting question, from a room standpoint, and location. If you're spending multiple days at MK or EPCOT (and when the monorail line starts again from T&T Center to EPCOT), then the location of Poly is an advantage. If you're doing all the parks throughout your stay, then that won't matter much. The 1BR absolutely gives you more room - even a value 1BR. The Poly studio will give you a queen bed and a pullout. The AKV 1BR will give you a king bed and a pullout, but also a kitchen and living area. For us personally, we'd always do AKV over Poly. But others will feel differently! All I can tell you for sure- both are amazing resorts, so you don't have a wrong decision.

Poly studio or Jambo 1BR? Interesting question, from a room standpoint, and location. If you're spending multiple days at MK or EPCOT (and when the monorail line starts again from T&T Center to EPCOT), then the location of Poly is an advantage. If you're doing all the parks throughout your stay, then that won't matter much. The 1BR absolutely gives you more room - even a value 1BR. The Poly studio will give you a queen bed and a pullout. The AKV 1BR will give you a king bed and a pullout, but also a kitchen and living area. For us personally, we'd always do AKV over Poly. But others will feel differently! All I can tell you for sure- both are amazing resorts, so you don't have a wrong decision.
Yes, my DH is a park commando but mostly Epcot. We’ll hit all the parks definitely and park hop if we can. We’ll be there in January so, the pool use could go either way. I’m at the resort a lot with my toddler. I like separating sleeping areas and definitely the washer & kitchen are such a great necessity with kids.

Last edited:
Yes, my DH is a park commando but mostly Epcot. I’m at the resort a lot with my toddler. I like separating sleeping areas and definitely the washer & kitchen are such a great necessity with kids.
Good point - the wash/dry are a big plus for us on longer stays. It can certainly simplify family packing!

The Jambo 1BR both for having the 2 separate rooms and for the washer/dryer. Oh - and giraffe either right off your balcony or else just at the overlook off the lobby. The value rooms can overlook savannah or pool or there's a couple that face out towards the porte cochere.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter