***The Official AKV Owners And Lovers Thread***. Come And Chat

Thanks! I did not remember the hotel was not open yet. So, you don't stay in the CL room, they physically move you to another one? Is it always standard (pool) view?
The rooms are still the same, but the service is not there. Hence the partial refund on points down to Standard view, those CL rooms have limited views.

I think that is a pretty good deal. I love the location of the CL rooms and even though the savanna views are not the best, I prefer them to the pool views.

What worries me is how long Disney plan to keep the hotel room side closed for.

The 2022 Vacation offers, doesn't list AKL as a resort option and the free dinning credit do not cover any of the Jambo House restaurants.

I'm not sure how Africa are coping with COVID but maybe these will be the last of the cast members to be called back like the Epcot International cast members.

I hope someone can help this newbie. I will be staying here in June and would like to go over The Campsites at Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort for the Pony ride at Tri-Circle-D Ranch. We will have a car. Can you please help me the best & fast way to get over there with the current environment? TIA.
There's a bunch of ways to do this, but the two best would be:

Drive to Ft Wilderness: you'll need to leave your car in the parking area and take the internal bus down to the waterfront and walk over to the barn.

Take the bus from AKV to the MK: then take a boat over to the campground which will bring you to the area you need to be in to walk to the barn.

Driving will be slightly faster than taking the bus only due to waiting for the bus to the MK on the AKV end. The difference between taking the internal bus from the parking lot down and taking the boat from the MK over is up in the air, either could be faster than the other, just depends on luck.

Personally, I'd head to the MK by bus and take the boat, it opens up a world of options for after the pony ride and those boat rides are very enjoyable.

There's a bunch of ways to do this, but the two best would be:

Drive to Ft Wilderness: you'll need to leave your car in the parking area and take the internal bus down to the waterfront and walk over to the barn.

Take the bus from AKV to the MK: then take a boat over to the campground which will bring you to the area you need to be in to walk to the barn.

Driving will be slightly faster than taking the bus only due to waiting for the bus to the MK on the AKV end. The difference between taking the internal bus from the parking lot down and taking the boat from the MK over is up in the air, either could be faster than the other, just depends on luck.

Personally, I'd head to the MK by bus and take the boat, it opens up a world of options for after the pony ride and those boat rides are very enjoyable.

The pony rides were moved to the Outpost at least 2 years ago. Just have to drive over to FW and park at the parking lot unless it's changed again but with the removal of the old barn I'm guessing it's still at the Outpost where they also offer horseback riding.

The pony rides were moved to the Outpost at least 2 years ago. Just have to drive over to FW and park at the parking lot unless it's changed again but with the removal of the old barn I'm guessing it's still at the Outpost where they also offer horseback riding.
Cool, but then again all the neat stuff is down at the big barn.

Cool, but then again all the neat stuff is down at the big barn.

Was it brought back? Most of it had gotten shut down before they started building Reflections. I'd be very happy if they restored what they had there as it was so nice to boat over from VWL and spend some time taking it in.

Was it brought back? Most of it had gotten shut down before they started building Reflections. I'd be very happy if they restored what they had there as it was so nice to boat over from VWL and spend some time taking it in.
Yes, there's a beautiful new barn there. The calliope is in a specially built room with a button on it and it's layed out so guests can safely watch the horses being tended to. It's a mansion for the horses really.

Yes, there's a beautiful new barn there. The calliope is in a specially built room with a button on it and it's layed out so guests can safely watch the horses being tended to. It's a mansion for the horses really.

Thank you so much. I think we will drive there. Are we allow to park since I keep reading that you need ADR if you don’t stay at the resort?

Thank you so much. I think we will drive there. Are we allow to park since I keep reading that you need ADR if you don’t stay at the resort?
I hadn't heard anything about the ADRs for visiting, suppose it makes sense with the pandemic, but that's winding down.
Note that we're talking about two different barns here. The new one down by the lake and the one in back by the parking area. It sounds like the trail rides are being given at the parking lot side of things... they should supply info for you.

Getting to the New barn: The parking area is called the Outpost. You want to get down to the Settlement stop via internal bus (any internal bus will take you there).
Since you're there doing horsey things, It makes sense to visit both.

What worries me is how long Disney plan to keep the hotel room side closed for.

The 2022 Vacation offers, doesn't list AKL as a resort option and the free dinning credit do not cover any of the Jambo House restaurants.

I'm not sure how Africa are coping with COVID but maybe these will be the last of the cast members to be called back like the Epcot International cast members.

Ya I'll continue to stay on Jambo side even with things closed as I absolutely love the resort, but I agree that we're probably looking at 2022 before Jambo begins reopening again.

I miss Jiko and the store though!

I have a trip this summer that was a 3-3-6 split between BLT, Poly, and CCV. I just adjusted the last 2 nights to be at AKV-K! I was aiming for a 3-3-3-3 split, but 3-3-4-2 is what I got. I could only get the last 2 nights, not 3. I also ended up with a 1-bedroom, so that's exciting! I was kind of wanting Jambo since I think the hallways are a little shorter and the lobby is amazing, but I'm hearing good things about Kidani.

I'm hoping I'll be able to see some giraffes. I ❤🦒

I also hope I don't regret so many resort changes! :scared:

I have a trip this summer that was a 3-3-6 split between BLT, Poly, and CCV. I just adjusted the last 2 nights to be at AKV-K! I was aiming for a 3-3-3-3 split, but 3-3-4-2 is what I got. I could only get the last 2 nights, not 3. I also ended up with a 1-bedroom, so that's exciting! I was kind of wanting Jambo since I think the hallways are a little shorter and the lobby is amazing, but I'm hearing good things about Kidani.

I'm hoping I'll be able to see some giraffes. I ❤🦒

I also hope I don't regret so many resort changes! :scared:
That's ambitious and sounds like fun! The the hardest parts of resort hopping to me are those hours between checkout and room ready.
Hoping you have a car so you can just leave your luggage in it. You'll have to let us know how it went!

That's ambitious and sounds like fun! The the hardest parts of resort hopping to me are those hours between checkout and room ready.
Hoping you have a car so you can just leave your luggage in it. You'll have to let us know how it went!

Thanks! I do have a car rental booked, and I hope it doesn't fall through. I can't use the length of stay rental that I booked from MCO because my flight time changed so drastically. I have a Car Care Center rental booked that is for the majority of my days, so I'll have to use that one. I will also keep trying to book a length of stay rental from MCO, but the prices are insane.

I did a 1-3-1-1 split stay on my last trip. I said no more single nights unless it's unavoidable. I like trying out the different resorts, and AK is new to me!

We are staying for one night at Kidani in a standard view studio that I booked directly with Disney. We want to be close to the pool. How do I make this request?

We are staying for one night at Kidani in a standard view studio that I booked directly with Disney. We want to be close to the pool. How do I make this request?

A cash reservation through Disney is subject to different rules than a reservation through DVC. For example, what is a "standard" view room may differ between the two. I do not know whether one can actually make that "near the Rafiki elevator" request through Disney proper, but that, or near pool, would be the request to make if it is possible. Down the Rafiki elevator to ground floor gives you the shortest possible walk from building to an entry gate to the pool area.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter