*** The Official 2014 - DLR -July Thread ***(We All Have Been There & Back Home)

To All - Califlove had a great idea for some Dis-Member interaction..

HELP - We need you to share your top 5 "tips"

Example - Travel, Parks, Dining, Park Touring, Character Spot Lights, Breaks or anything we all can learn from - Looking forward to your experiences with Disney.. :thumbsup2

1. Hydrate!!! With water, not juice or soda =)
2. Be happy, you are at Disneyland! Go with the flow.
3. Take your time! Look at all the incredible details
4. Take breaks. Whether you leave the parks, or sit on a bench enjoying a snack. It really helps your mind and body to relax sometimes.
5. Take photos! So fun to look back on

Other tips:
If you have littles, take advantage of the baby centers with the super nice padded changing tables and training toilets for learning or just potty trained kids.

Eat on a regular basis! We learned this the hard way when DH or kiddos get cranky, it's usually because they are hungry!

Also if you have kids, set limits before hand for souvenirs! We had a hard time once they got old enough because every ride that exits you into a shop they wanted everything! We had to tell them they could look but not buy until later in the trip. Now they know that's the rule and sometimes we get away with not buying anything! We also set a price limit. That way they get what they really want and it stops the whining for every toy.

Most of all, have fun!!

1. Get to the parks early
2. Drink lots of water
3. Those spray mist fans are a Godsend

I know I should probably have more as I have been to Disneyland many many times over my whole life but we always used to only go for two days and power through it with not much rhyme or reason. I've never seen everything in one trip so this time I am really making a departure from my usual touring style. It's like I'm going for the very first time.

1. Get to the parks EARLY.
2. Get to the parks eArLy.
3. Get to the parks EaRlY.
4. Get to the parks early.
5. If you have a plan, don't be afraid to deviate from it. Remember any day at Disney is a better than a day at work.

Of course, my family doesn't do early so well, so I often have to deviate from my own plan. ;) I like to have a loose plan of where we'll go. But things happen - like someone gets hungry or a ride is closed or it's the FP return time. I usually like to stick a plan, but over the years, I've learned to go with the flow. :)

I like all the tips. Very handy. Mine are not particularly original.

1. Get there early.
  2. Take an early afternoon break to avoid the heat and the crowds and to give everyone some rest.
  3. Try to make your kids understand that they won't be able to do EVERY ride so we need to pick our priorities.
  4. Drink plenty of water (that's a tip for me, my kids are already great at that, I must try to emulate them). But on the flip side, do a restroom stop before getting in any long queues.
  5. Try not to let other people bother you - unfortunately there will be rude ill-mannered people, there will be queue-jumpers, there will be pushing and shoving and inconsiderate stroller-driving. Just keep your cool and don't let them affect your mood. Hum "let it go" to yourself if necessary.

1. Get to the parks EARLY.
2. Get to the parks eArLy.
3. Get to the parks EaRlY.
4. Get to the parks early.
5. If you have a plan, don't be afraid to deviate from it. Remember any day at Disney is a better than a day at work.

Of course, my family doesn't do early so well, so I often have to deviate from my own plan. ;) I like to have a loose plan of where we'll go. But things happen - like someone gets hungry or a ride is closed or it's the FP return time. I usually like to stick a plan, but over the years, I've learned to go with the flow. :)

I so like and agree with the excellent advice above, that I'm not going to add anything else!:rolleyes1

My Five Tips:

1. Play, play, play. Let (or make) everything fun if you can, even lines. (I bring Hidden Mickeys and Lots to Do in Line Disneyland apps and books to entertain myself and the kids.)

2. Consider bringing small Disney surprises with you if you have young kids. Ours don't ask for too many souvenirs because every morning I surprise them with something I've pre-bought (from the Disney Store during a sale online or from Target, etc.).

3. Planning is great, but sometimes it's the most fun when you throw the plans (or even common sense) out the window. Which is how I ended up going on Splash Mountain three times in a row one morning with my kids when it was too cool for anyone with any common sense to want to do so. (It was silly and cold and very awesome.)

4. Stop to take in the magic, all the little details. My kids and I end up taking pictures of the smallest things, little bits of theming that sometimes they notice and I don't, that they and I think are cool.

5. If you're with people you love (or even like), give them hugs. A lot of hugs. You're so lucky to be there together.

I don't have much to add because it's my first time in DL since the first year of the 42nd president. Can anyone guess which President and the year? One tip from WDW that applies to DL is that you can get water for free at any counter service. I get a counter service water and add whatever Crystal Light or similar stuff I want. I get Lemonade for a quarter a serving.

Good Morning To All

Califlove - Looks like this round of questions was a hit!!!:woohoo:

Everyone has contributed some great tips... Keep them coming..:goodvibes

Okay. I think I've written down a thousand of these after listening to podcasts and following the boards for a while. So 5 should be easy.
1. Ride RSR in the single rider line (if kids are old enough)
2. Bring a MistyMate (bought ours on Amazon)
3. Spend some time in the wooded area across from GRR. Just a lovely quiet restful spot. And Dug (our favourite) does M&Gs there.
4. Eat at the Blue Bayou once. I know people say the food stinks for the price but I can't imagine not getting to go there. Go for dessert or light lunch if nothing else. Just my opinion but I love that place. I do wish the food was cheaper but I still love it and so do our kids.
5. Go see ITTBAB, Muppets or TTwithCrush on a hot afternoon. Nice break spots. We plan on seeing Aladdin this trip too so I'm guessing it's a good break spot.

Come on HydroGuy. I'm waiting for your top 5 : )

RMRH - we will try to meet on the 12th. Not sure what time we will return from the Hollywood tour though. I tried to PM you my cell, but I need a few more posts before the powers that be will let me.

kittymom - pleas share info about the parade on the 11th. I know my daughter would love to see other dancers. She performed at WDW a few years ago and it was a great experience!

In other news, our plans have changed a bit as we will not be coming in on the Amtrak. Seems track issues were going to cause us to have to take an almost 8 hour bus ride from Ft. Worth to San Antonio. I am not a bus fan, so we will be flying in to LAX on the 9th via Southwest.

RMRH - we will try to meet on the 12th. Not sure what time we will return from the Hollywood tour though. I tried to PM you my cell, but I need a few more posts before the powers that be will let me.

kittymom - pleas share info about the parade on the 11th. I know my daughter would love to see other dancers. She performed at WDW a few years ago and it was a great experience!

In other news, our plans have changed a bit as we will not be coming in on the Amtrak. Seems track issues were going to cause us to have to take an almost 8 hour bus ride from Ft. Worth to San Antonio. I am not a bus fan, so we will be flying in to LAX on the 9th via Southwest.

Great - I will put your name down on the Special Thank You thread..

Sorry about the track issues... NOW!! if you were taking the Amtrak from FTW to San Antonio... Wow - That is a neat trip.. My DD and I take the train down once every 2 months just to get away...

Hopefully we'll see you soon.. :goodvibes

Is anyone else starting to feel Disney-stress and anxiety? :confused3 I'm having minor panics about when to do World of Colour, Fantasmic!, fireworks, the different shows and parades, which rides to do in which order, when to grab FastPasses for what, when to go to which counter service restaurant... :confused: I think possibly I have done TOO MUCH research and all the different variables and suggestions are making me more anxious, not less. I'm worrying about crowd levels, and my family's expectations, the queues... (Yes, I know - First World Problems! :rolleyes1)

I am sure when we are there, we will have a fantastic time regardless and it will all be totally fine - it's just the pre-trip stressing that I am trying to get a handle on. :scared1: It's starting to infiltrate my dreams too :sad2:

Anyone else feeling the weight of Disney anxiety?

Is anyone else starting to feel Disney-stress and anxiety? :confused3 I'm having minor panics about when to do World of Colour, Fantasmic!, fireworks, the different shows and parades, which rides to do in which order, when to grab FastPasses for what, when to go to which counter service restaurant... :confused: I think possibly I have done TOO MUCH research and all the different variables and suggestions are making me more anxious, not less. I'm worrying about crowd levels, and my family's expectations, the queues... (Yes, I know - First World Problems! :rolleyes1)

I am sure when we are there, we will have a fantastic time regardless and it will all be totally fine - it's just the pre-trip stressing that I am trying to get a handle on. :scared1: It's starting to infiltrate my dreams too :sad2:

:3dglasses -- Take a deep breath.... OK, you are all good now... Do what I do.. get on You Tube if you have the time and watch Disneyland 2014 Family Trips... No more stress.... you will only feel... "Got to get to Disney" :thumbsup2

I can relate. I have only planned which days we are going where and absolutely nothing else. I'm usually an over planner, but I learned how to be more casual when I went to WDW last year and I wasn't able to plan ahead because we were traveling with my nephew's baseball team. That was a huge lesson for me! Even though we missed Fantasmic and several other things I wanted to do, the kids had a GREAT time and didn't know what they missed. And in all honesty, I enjoyed it more because I wasn't constantly stressed about following my plan. So when I start to panic, I remind myself that we will all have more fun as long as I'm not stressed about trying to do everything (because that's impossible).

:3dglasses -- Take a deep breath.... OK, you are all good now... Do what I do.. get on You Tube if you have the time and watch Disneyland 2014 Family Trips... No more stress.... you will only feel... "Got to get to Disney" :thumbsup2

That's a good idea, I'm going to try that!

Is anyone else starting to feel Disney-stress and anxiety? :confused3 I'm having minor panics about when to do World of Colour, Fantasmic!, fireworks, the different shows and parades, which rides to do in which order, when to grab FastPasses for what, when to go to which counter service restaurant... :confused: I think possibly I have done TOO MUCH research and all the different variables and suggestions are making me more anxious, not less. I'm worrying about crowd levels, and my family's expectations, the queues... (Yes, I know - First World Problems! :rolleyes1) I am sure when we are there, we will have a fantastic time regardless and it will all be totally fine - it's just the pre-trip stressing that I am trying to get a handle on. :scared1: It's starting to infiltrate my dreams too :sad2: Anyone else feeling the weight of Disney anxiety?

My anxiety is over trying to plan an in-room celebration. I want to pull one together myself and my only missing piece is that "surprise" door sash! They won't sell it separately. Breathe, just breathe. :)

Here! Here!

After all the searching and planning, we usually stick to one thing for the day--it could be a meal or a show. After that, we (usually) throw caution to the wind and do what comes to us...but that's at WDW where we've been 7 times in the last 5 years.

This will be our first trip to DLR, and at times the planning has been enough to drive me (and the family) crazy. Just the other day my DD(8) told me to stop talking about the trip because I was ruining the surprises in store! :crazy2:

I guess we have to learn to LET IT GO. ;)

Well Bob, you can officially remove us from the July list :guilty: .

Long story short , we just returned from a wonderful week at WDW , and have been preparing for our 1st DL trip in July for a while. But we have a little problem now ............
During our return flight home, our aircraft had some major problems and had to make an emergency landing at the "nearest airport" .
Major problems equates to a shattered front windshield on the co-pilot side of the aircraft, loss of cabin pressure at 20,000 + feet , and a rapid descent while preparing to don the oxygen masks (which thankfully never had to deploy). Pilot and co. Pilot handled the situation like the pro's they are (while wearing full on oxygen breathers) and got us down safely. They were visibly shaken and stressed so it must have been pretty bad, and possibily worse then they led us to believe as it was happening.
They brought another aircraft in for us, and got us home with only a few hours delay , surprisingly .

SO ............. after this traumatic experience, our family is not quite ready to jump on another flight right now ..........especially on one for our first ever flight "out west" (we are East coasters).

Unfortunately we had to make the decision to cancel the July trip. I know it may be an over reaction , but certain members of the family are very stressed about getting on a plane right now. So its in our best interest to forgo the trip at this point. Hopefully we will be o.k. to try again with some WDW trips again soon.

Thank you for working so hard Bob, keeping this thread up to date ..........I have been following along since the beginning.
We have been REALLY looking forward to this trip for a while now, since we have never been to DL.
Sorry all, one less family for the July group .............. :sad1:

Have fun all !

My anxiety is over trying to plan an in-room celebration. I want to pull one together myself and my only missing piece is that "surprise" door sash! They won't sell it separately. Breathe, just breathe. :)

I'm not sure exactly what the official surprise sash looks like, but you could make a sash for the door out of the super wide floral type ribbon. They sell it by the yard at the craft store near me (or you could order a whole spool online if you can't find it). Then you could use a fabric paint pen to write on it. If your handwriting is terrible like mine, you could use letter stencils. It could be embellished with Disney stickers or even just printout some color Disney images, cut them out, and glue them on. Good luck pulling your surprise together, I'm sure it will be a success no matter what.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter