• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The *NEW* Polynesian Resort FAQ thread - *SEPT 2008*

Status
Not open for further replies.
The background music from Tikiman's website is just what I needed to hear today! Thanks, everyone, for letting us know where to find it, and Thanks, Tikiman!:)

Here's the opening paragraph of the email:

"Tikiman's Unofficial Polynesian Resort News

APRIL FOOLS!!! a few days late

Aloha Polynesian lovers!!! Well if you thought that my Polynesian site was going away than “APRIL FOOLS!!!” but then again what I said about the old site closing was all true. I just left out the part about the new site replacing it. I really appreciate all the nice emails from so many of you who were sorry to see the site go but at least it has a happy ending. Well the new site will be much different but I believe it will be easier to navigate thanks to the help and hard work of Matthew Turk who came along when my other site was limping along and made it possible to have this great new site. Not only should the new site have all that the old one did (once we finish all we have planned) but it should have a lot more. Also I won’t need to ask for donations anymore to help pay the outrageous bill I was getting from Homestead and there will be no more shutting down from exceeding the bandwidth. I know some people don’t like change (like the uproar at Facebook) but I think you all will enjoy the new site and its new features much more. I have plans for adding things that I could not before or never had time to do. I could not think of a better way to celebrate the sites 10th anniversary than to improve it look. After all these years of emailing, talking to or meeting people that visit my site and seeing what a great group of people you are I felt you deserved a better site to go to, so go check it out and let me know what you think. http://www.tikimanpages.com/tiki/ "

Once I saw this in my inbox, I had to open up the new Tikiman site immediately. :surfweb: I was so excited! DH thinks I'm a nutcase. :rotfl:

My family is going to leave for the poly on may 8th and will be there until the 16th. I there anyone else going around that time with teens? I am trying to find other teens that are interested in meeting mine. they are 14 and 11 year old daughters and a 12 year old boy. I would like them to kind of correspond a little and maybe raise their excitement. they have never been to disney and have noo idea what they are getting into.

We're really excited, but DH & I have colds, so I'm glad I have a few days to rest and try to get better.:sad2:

Thanks for posting the link -- now I have to go there and check it all out!:yay:

According to the last Podcast, crowds are at record highs this year because of all the deals. May or may not be the same for 2010.

I think if you aren't set on your dates and aren't worried about room-type, then you can just wait to book a room. We had very specific, non-negotiable dates & room category we wanted, so we booked almost a year in advance and then changed when the 4/3 deal came along. :)

I'm thinking now that I may book in advance. Better to be safe then sorry later. We can be flexible on our dates to a certain extent. Last year we went to WDW April 27-May 4 and we had great weather and the crowds levels seemed fine to us, so I would like to go around this time next year.

We would like a room with a MK view and a balcony. Any suggestions? Did you book your room or go through a TA?

Also what and where is the Podcast?

Thanks mmmears for this info and I can't wait to hear about your trip when you return.:)

I'm thinking now that I may book in advance. Better to be safe then sorry later. We can be flexible on our dates to a certain extent. Last year we went to WDW April 27-May 4 and we had great weather and the crowds levels seemed fine to us, so I would like to go around this time next year.

We would like a room with a MK view and a balcony. Any suggestions? Did you book your room or go through a TA?

Also what and where is the Podcast?

Thanks mmmears for this info and I can't wait to hear about your trip when you return.:)

Hi! I haven't stayed at the Poly yet, so I don't have any room recommendations, but lots of other nice people here can tell you what to ask for. I booked my room through Disney, since I like having control over my reservations.

The Podcast is an internet "radio-type" show right here on the DIS. It's given by the people who own and run these boards and it's really, really informative and fun to listen to. You can find the link for the podcast on at disboards.com -- it's the big orange button -- click on it, then click on "listen now" to hear their latest podcast. This weeks dealt with the high crowds at WDW right now and strategies for touring with the crowds. There are also dining reviews and other fun information there.

Good luck with your planning!:)

Thanks everyone for the link and info regarding tikiman's new website! Love love love the music! I read over all the info and went gaga over the pics for a few hours already. I know what I'll be doing before bed tonight...spending way too much time looking at Poly related stuff as usual! :love:

Hey all, I posted a bunch a new pics on the Poly thread in the Resort Photo section!

It has only taken me 2 years to figure out how to do it! :rotfl:

Hey all, I posted a bunch a new pics on the Poly thread in the Resort Photo section!

It has only taken me 2 years to figure out how to do it! :rotfl:

Thanks, BreezysMom! Your photos are lovely, and your DD is so cute! Thanks for posting them -- I loved looking at them all! (I still have no idea how to post photos :rotfl:, so good for you for figuring it out!).

Thanks for the kind welcome! ~Aloha!~

I think that I will definitely fax in my request but whenever anyone has any info on how the online checkin worked for them (after they get there!) please let me know!! I can't believe they only give you a refrigerator request (what ever for at a deluxe resort???) or a pack'n'play (good request option but this just isn't enough!).

I read somewhere that the guests of the Polynesian can use the Grand Floridian's health club. I don't really want to 'exercise' while I am there considering all the walking & swimming we like to do but has anyone checked it out? Is it worth taking a peek at?

I'm also curious about turn down service. I've read on this thread that you can request it even if you aren't in the concierge level and I really want to request it. What do you normally tip for this service - or should you? I usually give housekeeping some money the second day we are there but would that include the tip for turn down service too? Any thoughts on this?

We had another winter storm today in Colorado so I am very much looking forward to fun in the sun at the Poly in 20 days!!!!

Thanks for the kind welcome! ~Aloha!~

I think that I will definitely fax in my request but whenever anyone has any info on how the online checkin worked for them (after they get there!) please let me know!! I can't believe they only give you a refrigerator request (what ever for at a deluxe resort???) or a pack'n'play (good request option but this just isn't enough!).

I read somewhere that the guests of the Polynesian can use the Grand Floridian's health club. I don't really want to 'exercise' while I am there considering all the walking & swimming we like to do but has anyone checked it out? Is it worth taking a peek at?

I'm also curious about turn down service. I've read on this thread that you can request it even if you aren't in the concierge level and I really want to request it. What do you normally tip for this service - or should you? I usually give housekeeping some money the second day we are there but would that include the tip for turn down service too? Any thoughts on this?

We had another winter storm today in Colorado so I am very much looking forward to fun in the sun at the Poly in 20 days!!!!

Yes, you may use the health club. I would wake up and go use the eliptical and then jog around the resort. I was training for a marathon so I did not want to derail myself on vacation.

I tipped seperately for turndown service. We did not use it every night, only when we were out late. I usually only left a $2 or so if the room was still fairly clean and picked up.

We are due for a storm here is Chicago on Monday! Will this winter ever be over????????

Have a wonderful vacation!

Yes, you may use the health club. I would wake up and go use the eliptical and then jog around the resort. I was training for a marathon so I did not want to derail myself on vacation.

Wow! I'm impressed! I want to exercise, but I'm a bit worried that my feet will be in agony! I usually end up with blisters from all the walking that we do. Hopefully I'll either make it to the gym or swim laps in the quiet pool, if I'm not still sick that is.:)

Last year we went to WDW April 27-May 4 and we had great weather and the crowds levels seemed fine to us, so I would like to go around this time next year.

We would like a room with a MK view ...

Mom4463, we are planning on going to Poly at the exact same time next year! My DH is really keen to book MK view, and who am I to agrue? :cool1: We already booked a GV room, but my DH is starting a new job at work in July and he just wants to wait to make sure that all goes smoothly then we will upgrade. Maybe we'll end up being neighbours!

Mom4463, we are planning on going to Poly at the exact same time next year! My DH is really keen to book MK view, and who am I to agrue? :cool1: We already booked a GV room, but my DH is starting a new job at work in July and he just wants to wait to make sure that all goes smoothly then we will upgrade. Maybe we'll end up being neighbours!

maiapapaya,

Hope to see you there!!:)

I was wondering about traveling to and from DTD from the Poly. I was thinking of avoiding it altogether, but from the looks of the crowds at the parks when we're there, it may be nice to just hop on a bus and do some shopping. If you catch a bus from the TTC, does it go straight to DTD, or are there stops along the way? How long does it take to get there? I'm assuming it's better to take the bus from the TTC rather than from in front of the hotel, right?

One more question: I thought I saw in a pic from Capt Cooks that in the soda fountain there is apple juice...can anyone that's been recently confirm this? My DD doesn't drink soda (just milk and juice) so this would be great for the refillable mug :)

I was wondering about traveling to and from DTD from the Poly. I was thinking of avoiding it altogether, but from the looks of the crowds at the parks when we're there, it may be nice to just hop on a bus and do some shopping. If you catch a bus from the TTC, does it go straight to DTD, or are there stops along the way? How long does it take to get there? I'm assuming it's better to take the bus from the TTC rather than from in front of the hotel, right?

Someone, please correct me if I'm wrong here. lissiesmum, I dont think that there is a bus from the TTC to DTD. I was wondering the same thing as you and I was told there is no bus.

If you catch a bus from the TTC, does it go straight to DTD, or are there stops along the way? How long does it take to get there? I'm assuming it's better to take the bus from the TTC rather than from in front of the hotel, right?

And YES, it is definitely better to take the bus from the TTC instead of from the Poly, especially during peak season/times. I emphasize that because from the times we've stayed at the Poly during Christmastime, the bus that stops at the Poly also has to stop at the GF (and often has stopped at the Contemporary first).

One more question: I thought I saw in a pic from Capt Cooks that in the soda fountain there is apple juice...can anyone that's been recently confirm this? My DD doesn't drink soda (just milk and juice) so this would be great for the refillable mug :)

I posted that pic and yes, Captain Cooks does indeed have apple juice available at the soda fountain. My DD doesnt' drink soda so she loves that they have apple juice and Minute Maid lemonade as fountain drink choices. Our experience was as recent as December but considering Minute Maid drinks are available throughout the parks at WDW, I don't see this changing anytime soon. :goodvibes

Hope that helps! :thumbsup2

Someone, please correct me if I'm wrong here. lissiesmum, I dont think that there is a bus from the TTC to DTD. I was wondering the same thing as you and I was told there is no bus.

Hi mmmears! I was asking because I found this on tikiman's new website:

From the TTC you will board the Downtown Disney Bus to get to Downtown Disney Marketplace, Pleasure Island, West Side and Typhoon Lagoon.
:confused3

Can anyone help us out here? TIA! How are you feeling tonight, mmmears, any better? I hope you get rid of your cold before your trip!

There is an outside chance the bus will stop at one of the water parks (I forget which one) but usually it goes straight to DTD. And YES, it is definitely better to take the bus from the TTC instead of from the Poly, especially during peak season/times. I emphasize that because from the times we've stayed at the Poly during Christmastime, the bus that stops at the Poly also has to stop at the GF (and often has stopped at the Contemporary first).

To clarify, there is no bus that runs between TTC and DTD. No such bus. Doesn't exist.

The ONLY Disney Transport buses at TTC go to Disney's Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom.

Polynesian guests have NO OPTION of taking a bus from TTC to DTD instead of taking a bus from Poly to DTD.

Via Disney Transport, the only direct bus routes to DTD are from the various DIsney resorts. There is no bus from TTC to DTD, and there are no buses from the parks to DTD.

100% sure of this.

Can anyone help us out here? TIA! How are you feeling tonight, mmmears, any better? I hope you get rid of your cold before your trip!

Well, then, I think my information is not correct. I think that's great since I was thinking that it would be quicker (everyone always says the busses from the hotels to DTD are the worst!). I am sorry I gave out bad info, though.

Still sick -- I just knew this would happen.:sad2: I was sick the last few days we were at WDW a few years ago, and it was no fun...:sad1:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter