The *NEW* Polynesian Resort FAQ thread - *SEPT 2008*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Definitely checking out that torch lighting ceremony on our first night. 6:20 ressie at Kona, will be perfect to go early and see this!

For me, the nice thing about going at the time we are going is that summer will be here before you know it, then we will be getting the kiddos back in school and then POOF before you know it, it is time to go.

We just booked last weekend so I only have to "wait" less that 6 months where my last two trips were planned a year or more in advance.

I am envious of people heading there in the next few weeks. They are saying April is going to be a cold, wet month here is Chicago. I am SOOOO sick of it. We were just at DW in Dec and it feels like years ago!

Happy Planning! :banana:

Hey BreezysMom! I'm your neighbor to the north, here in SE WI. I work down in Lake Forest, IL.:wave2:

I can totally relate to everything you just said!
Looks like our trips are for the same dates in September - I LOVE Disney at that time of year. Then again, it sure would be nice to head down in a week with all of you "spring breakers"!:goodvibes

We've stayed at the Poly for the past 3 years, with our last trip in Dec '08. But this year we're trying something new - the GF. :scared1:
On one hand, I'm really excited about the GF.:yay:
But on the other hand, I just know I'm gonna miss my POLY!:sad1:

Can someone tell me about the Torch Lighting Ceremony? What does it entail and does anyone have some pictures they are willing to share?

I know some people have mentioned that it starts at 6pm, but it can vary during different times of the year when the sun goes down earlier.
Last year during the 1st week of December we missed it because it started before 5:45pm and was over by 6pm.:sad:

I have a question about jackets -- we're leaving in one week :-)yay:) and I'm trying to figure out what kind of jacket to take for the evenings (in case it gets a little cold). I don't know what the weather in the evenings/night is like.

I have a velour one, a warmer sporty jacket, and a rain shell (that would hopefully block wind). Any suggestions? I've got all the clothes packed, mostly capris and Ts, but I'm wondering... Is it cold at night? Does it get windy at WDW this time of year?

Space is limited, so whatever I take I'll have to wear on the plane (or I'd just take a few:laughing:).

Thanks in advance!:)

I have a question about jackets -- we're leaving in one week :-)yay:) and I'm trying to figure out what kind of jacket to take for the evenings (in case it gets a little cold). I don't know what the weather in the evenings/night is like.

I have a velour one, a warmer sporty jacket, and a rain shell (that would hopefully block wind). Any suggestions? I've got all the clothes packed, mostly capris and Ts, but I'm wondering... Is it cold at night? Does it get windy at WDW this time of year?

Space is limited, so whatever I take I'll have to wear on the plane (or I'd just take a few:laughing:).

I've been checking the AccuWeather forecast for Orlando (the 15 day one) for a few days now and it looks like the weather is only going to be in the 70's during the day. I'd check it a day or two before you leave and then pick the appropriate jacket. So far it's not looking good for warm weather! :goodvibes

I have only been able to see a 10 forecast. Where is there a 15day? Just wondering. I hope we at least get some 80s or it will not be warm enough to play in the pool. :surfweb:

We are already planning our next trip which will be December 2010. I know I am starting a bit early. Anyway, on our last trip we stayed at the Poly, had a magic kingdom view (which we requested and paid for), no balcony since we were on the second floor, and we weren't too far from the GCH. Here is my dilemma, hubby doesn't want to prebook the MK view and wants to book the garden view to save some money. I had a hard time convincing him to stay at the Poly again due to the extra money. Will we be as satisfied with a garden view? According to the description, we could have a view of the garden, pool, monorail, and/or parking lot. I have heard of some people gettting a free upgrade. What are our chances? We tend to book through AAA but might book through MEI since our neighbor works for MEI.

Thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, we can book our room reservation at the end of July.

I am sure that with all the walking at the Poly you saw some great landscaping, huge trees, lots of flowers, the cool monorail swooshing by.... Those memories should reassure you that every view will be a nice one. We always stay GV and are never disappointed...except for the 2nd floor. That one is never my favorite!;)

It's never to "early" to startplanning a vacation... I booked my Aug 2010 cruise over 6 months ago.. I usually start planning the next vaction as soon As I finish the last one...:thumbsup2

I wholeheartedly agree!:thumbsup2 We start planning on the trip home!

I've been checking the AccuWeather forecast for Orlando (the 15 day one) for a few days now and it looks like the weather is only going to be in the 70's during the day. I'd check it a day or two before you leave and then pick the appropriate jacket. So far it's not looking good for warm weather! :goodvibes

kaffinito, Thanks for the heads-up. I just checked accuweather (googled it) and it looks like it will be pleasant and sunny, except for the day we were planning to spend at a waterpark.:headache: Looks I have some back-up planning to do.

kandcmch, I just googled "accuweather" and it popped it with a 15-day forcast as an option. I think it will still be warm enough to swim in the afternoons -- I don't put much faith in forecasts anyway.

I hope the Temp goes up alittle more. It is nice that it should not be that hot. I guess I will keep checking. I feel like we are never going to leave. But I know once we go it will go fast. That is the only bad thing about it. LOL :rotfl:

I hope the Temp goes up alittle more. It is nice that it should not be that hot. I guess I will keep checking. I feel like we are never going to leave. But I know once we go it will go fast. That is the only bad thing about it. LOL :rotfl:

Yeah -- I'd rather have 70s than 90s. I don't like touring in the high heat & humidity (we dont have that here, so I think we notice it and "wilt" much faster than people who are accustomed to it). It seems like it's taking forever to get here!:rotfl:

I wish we could stay club level. But I kinda pushed the budget getting a magic kingdom view room. Oh, when I faxed my request I just realized I put Hawaii or Tahita because I didn't know which building until now was the club. Oh No! :headache: I guess I should read better. I hope I didn't mess anything up.

I wish we could stay club level. But I kinda pushed the budget getting a magic kingdom view room. Oh, when I faxed my request I just realized I put Hawaii or Tahita because I didn't know which building until now was the club. Oh No! :headache: I guess I should read better. I hope I didn't mess anything up.

Yeah -- we kinda broke the budget booking club level. You could refax and just request Tahiti -- but I'd just leave it since they'll most likely put you in Tahiti that way (unless you get really lucky). I didn't send in a fax, but I was planning to call again in a couple of days and "remind" them of my requests. Nice thing about Tahiti is that every room has a balcony or patio & you are guaranteed a great view of the MK this way..:thumbsup2

I just need to pay attention. All this planning has my head spinning. I need a vacation! :scared: Wait! That is what I am doing. LOL :rotfl: Oh, well! I guess I will see when I get there. Worse case I don't get either. Right?? I am so excited that my brain is not working correctly and I still have 1 week left of work.

The elevator and the lounge are at the same end of the building. When you make your request, I would ask to be on whichever floor you would like (first has patios, third balconies, second a sliding door with barrier--no outside space) and near the lounge. That should have you covered. Of course, if floor is not a priority make your first request a room near the lounge.

Happy planning. . .

One thing to consider - Do you want to be able to sit outside? If so, you'll need to request 1st or 3d floors. I can't remember what floor we stayed in during our GV stay. Maybe 2d? I think we were right down from the lounge, which was convenient :thumbsup2

Thank you! I emailed a request today to the IPO for a 1st floor room :goodvibes. We've been very lucky in years past with resort requests (SSR, OKW, VWL), so I'm hoping that this year we will luck out again!

The Luau side:
6.jpg

IMG_4953.jpg

From Marina Side:

disneyworld2008154.jpg

disneyworld2008795.jpg

Wow! Looks like you had a beautiful view on either side!

Thanks to everyone for their input. I will make sure that I at least request a first or third floor room. This way I will at least get to sit outside in the evening when the kids are asleep.

GORGEOUS pics, BreezysMom! I see what you mean about both sides having lovely water views :cloud9:

BCV or Johnsonet--have either of you heard from Terry? I noticed a few pages back it was discussed because we are nearing the 250 point--doubt we make it much longer at the rate we're going. I don't want to step on anyone's toes and she may want to continue the thread in a new space.

Just thought I would check because I thought it was one of you who mentioned it earlier. . . :confused3

Tess - I have not heard from her. Will you PM her? Hopefully she will be willing to start a new thread or be fine w/ your doing it ;)

Just have to post and say we're leaving for our trip in 4 hours!!! I'm so excited!!

Have a great trip!

We are already planning our next trip which will be December 2010. I know I am starting a bit early. Anyway, on our last trip we stayed at the Poly, had a magic kingdom view (which we requested and paid for), no balcony since we were on the second floor, and we weren't too far from the GCH. Here is my dilemma, hubby doesn't want to prebook the MK view and wants to book the garden view to save some money. I had a hard time convincing him to stay at the Poly again due to the extra money. Will we be as satisfied with a garden view? According to the description, we could have a view of the garden, pool, monorail, and/or parking lot. I have heard of some people gettting a free upgrade. What are our chances? We tend to book through AAA but might book through MEI since our neighbor works for MEI.

Thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, we can book our room reservation at the end of July.

Hi there. We have stayed GV, GV CL and LV CL. We've ALWAYS enjoyed our stays... just ret'd from a week in GV (were assigned to Niue which I adored!). If you're going with GV then just read up on the different longhouses and request your #1 choice. There are lots of great options. I would try not to get your hopes up for an upgrade - they seem to be very rare at the Poly.

mmmears - do you have a lightweight cardigan you can take vs. a jacket? That's what I always take!

Thank you! I emailed a request today to the IPO for a 1st floor room :goodvibes. We've been very lucky in years past with resort requests (SSR, OKW, VWL), so I'm hoping that this year we will luck out again!

Sounds good. I think with that single request, especially made thru IPO, you're almost sure to get it :thumbsup2

I'd take a few hoodies for sure because it can get very windy!! While I was there, nearly everyday was 10-20 mile/hour winds. Nice while you are park touring, but not nice when you are outside trying to enjoy Wishes or the pool! I'd say plan for wind because it can get downright whippy along the water!

I'd take a few hoodies for sure because it can get very windy!! While I was there, nearly everyday was 10-20 mile/hour winds. Nice while you are park touring, but not nice when you are outside trying to enjoy Wishes or the pool! I'd say plan for wind because it can get downright whippy along the water!

Thanks I will make sure to pack a few hoodies to be safe. How was the crowds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter