The *New* Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa Frequently Asked Questions (FEB2004)

Status
Not open for further replies.
i love CR it was 1st place i ever stayed at WDW
i love the monorail places to eat
all of it the new rooms look fab
the pool could use alttle work but you cant beat walking to MK

You all have me laughing hysterically. :rotfl2: So glad I could throw a wrench in everyone's plans! :goodvibes We LOVED the GF last year at Christmas. SL was just wonderful, loved the Lodge Tower Room, and the Concierge service. Decided to try to the CR Atrium Club this trip as my DS (who is special needs) favorite thing in the world is the monorail and Chef Mickeys. Well, the CR was fabulous as well. We have booked the CR for Christmas next year, but part of me is just longing to stay at the GF again. I think that for our family right now the CR is a better fit, but as the kids get older I see the GF being our favorite. Not too bad of a predicament, being stuck deciding between the GF and CR!

DH and honeymooned at the Poly. Definitely our least favorite of all, and we had the perfect MK view front and center. Oh, and I'm going on a girl's trip at the end of January and we're staying at the BCV... may be a whole new resort to obsess over! ;)

you trouble maker triplefigs with your awesome pics and great trip reports
you got everyone all worked up
LOL LOL LOL LOL :rotfl: :rotfl2:
i dont think you can pick a bad one here
both are great !!

:goodvibes Hello all....just want to hear some ideas and advice from you great people! I have been stayed on property 4 times before - all at POFQ - which I really think it a great bang for the buck. This year my DD5 and I will be taking my mom and dad (70) to their first trip to Disney Dec 17-22 - They have helped me so much raising my daughter as I am divorced and felt they needed that special touch - so I really wanted to take them to the GF - especially for Christmas. I also thought we needed to be on the monorail for convenience for mom and dad. I cannot afford the main building - although I would love to be there...
My mom smokes occasionally - espcially when nervous and boy - I know she will be nervous at least the first few days so I have requested a smoking optional room. At the time I reserved I did not know that would definetly be Big Pine Key - but I think that is the only building that has smoking optional.... they also took a request from me to have Sago Cay because I did not know there was a designated building for smoking... I will also mention that I booked a lagoon view (still thinking I had a chance at MK) So - here is where I need advice:

Should I cancel my request for Sago Cay

Should I book a GV instead and save the money since I won't see MK - what do you all think about the GV side of Big Pine Key versus Lagoon?

Anything special I may not even know about to book while we are there?

Thanks to all for your help and thanks for all the previous posts that helped me learn so much before I even picked up the phone to reserve!!!

:thumbsup2

Princess Momma - What a thoughtful daughter you are! I hope your family has a wonderful stay at the GF.

I've stayed at the GF about 10 times and have stayed in both Big Pine LV and Sago GV and LV. Since you seem pretty certain your mom will want to smoke some of the time, I think you should stay with Big Pine since that is the smoking optional building. As far as GV versus LV in Big Pine, I think the LV feels more private. You will see the Seven Seas Lagoon and most likely have a view of the Wedding Chapel, the Polynesian and the GF sandy beach. I love the LV room IF you can use the balcony (love to look at the water, hear the sounds of the boats, waves, etc. and get a perfect view of the Electrical Water Parade each night!) However, since it's December, the GV at Big Pine will be beautiful with all the Christmas lights, etc. If in a GV in Big Pine, you will most likely see the main pool (or "quiet" pool - which it isn't always!) and the other buildings including the main building. It's a pretty view, just not as private IMO.

My favorite lodge building is definitely Sago because it's a little removed from the main action though not by too much, and it has great views with the possbility of that castle view. Also very close to Gasparilla's and the marina. Unfortunately, there aren't any smoking optional floors in Sago.
Good luck with your decision! We'll be leaving right before you arrive!

Minniesota: Thanks so much for your reply - I forgot about the view of the water parade - I think that makes my decision!

Here is another question I forgot to ask: are there coffee makers in the rooms? Is there any coffee service in the lodge buildings? I am a coffee freak - just wanted to make sure that was taken care of (he he ha ha) :thumbsup2

Thanks Again - I am sure we will have the greatest time no matter what the view

Yes, last time we were there - definitely coffee makers in the room! I think you will love GF at Christmas. This will be our 3rd Chistmas visit and we are planning on bringing my parents this time as well!

Thanks - I hope I can deal without Starbucks for the week!!

I am so excited about this trip - I wish it were happening tomorrow - I just keep looking at pics of GF at Christmas on the boards and keep dreaming!

Princess Mama said:
Thanks - I hope I can deal without Starbucks for the week!!

I am so excited about this trip - I wish it were happening tomorrow - I just keep looking at pics of GF at Christmas on the boards and keep dreaming!
Do what I do,but a pound of Starbucks coffee to make while you are there..Actually , I buy Dunkin Donuts, but same difference.

Hi everyone! As you can see I'm new to the DIS boards, but I'm not new to Disney or the GF. We're headed back to the GF the end of this month for our 5th stay in 3 years. Have never stayed RPC, but those of you who have posted reports of RPC have me drooling! Maybe someday! This coming trip we're (DH, DD 8, DS 6) are doing 2 days at GF before and after a 4 day Disney cruise. We've always stayed in garden or lagoon view rooms, but this trip we're in a lodge tower room for the first part of our stay. Are there a certain number of non-smoking lodge tower rooms, and if so, what buildings are the non-smoking rooms in? Thanks so much.

MouseHouse4 said:
Hi everyone! As you can see I'm new to the DIS boards, but I'm not new to Disney or the GF. We're headed back to the GF the end of this month for our 5th stay in 3 years. Have never stayed RPC, but those of you who have posted reports of RPC have me drooling! Maybe someday! This coming trip we're (DH, DD 8, DS 6) are doing 2 days at GF before and after a 4 day Disney cruise. We've always stayed in garden or lagoon view rooms, but this trip we're in a lodge tower room for the first part of our stay. Are there a certain number of non-smoking lodge tower rooms, and if so, what buildings are the non-smoking rooms in? Thanks so much.

Hi, welcome to the Dis & greetings from Illinois! :cool1:

I believe the whole resort is nonsmoking with the exception of Big Pine lodge building. Somebody will correct me if I'm wrong - so here's a bump up anyway. :p

I have stayed in a lodge tower room and it was great! Loved the extra little seating area. Have a great time. The GF is the best! :thumbsup2

Lives4Disney :)

PolyAddict said:
Wanted to ask this question prior to making ressies in December. We are going to stay GF garden view mid July 2007. This is our first time back since our honeymoon and the kids will be going too. We stayed in Sago Cay last time with a room facing the monorail. What's the best request I can make for a garden view room? Sago Cay seems like a good location close to the main building, do all of the rooms have balconies? Anything else I should take into consideration? We will be spending alot of resort time on this trip, if that make a difference.

Help, please.

PolyAddict said:
Wanted to ask this question prior to making ressies in December. We are going to stay GF garden view mid July 2007. This is our first time back since our honeymoon and the kids will be going too. We stayed in Sago Cay last time with a room facing the monorail. What's the best request I can make for a garden view room? Sago Cay seems like a good location close to the main building, do all of the rooms have balconies? Anything else I should take into consideration? We will be spending alot of resort time on this trip, if that make a difference.

All the room have either a balcony or patio except a few of the lodge tower rooms which are a different price category anyway (except in Sugar Loaf).

I haven't stayed in Sago Cay but it does seem like a very nice building to me for both location and quiet views. But it is such a personal thing. Sago Cay is farther from the pools than the other lodges but very close to Gasparilla's and the bus stop.

Maybe just leave it up to the assignor? :confused3

BCV23 said:
All the room have either a balcony or patio except a few of the lodge tower rooms which are a different price category anyway (except in Sugar Loaf).

I haven't stayed in Sago Cay but it does seem like a very nice building to me for both location and quiet views. But it is such a personal thing. Sago Cay is farther from the pools than the other lodges but very close to Gasparilla's and the bus stop.

Maybe just leave it up to the assignor? :confused3

PolyAddict - I would request Sago if it were me and I would request marina view but I like a quieter location. If you get the marina view (which is considered a garden view), you might even have a chance at seeing MK and the castle. You are close to Gasparillas - as BCV noted - and not far fom the boat launch. You can also get to the bus stop area via a shortcut between Sago and the main building. That said, if you want to be close to the pools, Boca Chica or Big Pine would be closest. Your view would be of the "quiet pool", which isn't so quiet all the time, and the central courtyard area which is beautiful at night. I vote for Sago!

Lives4Disney said:
Hi, welcome to the Dis & greetings from Illinois! :cool1:

I believe the whole resort is nonsmoking with the exception of Big Pine lodge building. Somebody will correct me if I'm wrong - so here's a bump up anyway. :p

I have stayed in a lodge tower room and it was great! Loved the extra little seating area. Have a great time. The GF is the best! :thumbsup2

Thanks for the info Lives4Disney! We're looking forward to trying a lodge tower room and having a little extra room. Is there a second TV in the extra seating area too? DD & DS will think that's cool if there is.

I have to agree the GF is best! It has become our favorite home away from home! :goodvibes

minniesota said:
PolyAddict - I would request Sago if it were me and I would request marina view but I like a quieter location. If you get the marina view (which is considered a garden view), you might even have a chance at seeing MK and the castle. You are close to Gasparillas - as BCV noted - and not far fom the boat launch. You can also get to the bus stop area via a shortcut between Sago and the main building. That said, if you want to be close to the pools, Boca Chica or Big Pine would be closest. Your view would be of the "quiet pool", which isn't so quiet all the time, and the central courtyard area which is beautiful at night. I vote for Sago!

Thanks for another opinion. Sago Cay does hold a special place for us, but the view we had on our honeymoon was less than desirable. What did we care we were 20 and 22? We had a great time and that was a good thing considering what life was holding in store for us(my DH getting a very deadly form of Leukemia at 24 while I was 5 months pregnant, with a baby I delivered a month early). It seems like a lifetime ago. We will have to celebrate our return there with something special. That is if I can convince my Poly loving family to do GF. :teeth:

MouseHouse4 said:
Thanks for the info Lives4Disney! We're looking forward to trying a lodge tower room and having a little extra room. Is there a second TV in the extra seating area too? DD & DS will think that's cool if there is.

I have to agree the GF is best! It has become our favorite home away from home! :goodvibes

There is an extra TV. I know my kids enjoyed that, too! :goodvibes There is a sofa and coffe table and a table with two chairs and then the little armoir with the second TV.

Have a great time,

MouseHouse4 said:

Yes, there is a 2nd TV in the sitting area. It had a small couch, table with 2 chairs, and another TV inside a small armoire. Have fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter