The most "***" injury you ever had

Stepping in a hole at the beach and broke my ankle. I was the only adult there with my 2 kids and 2 others. I managed to get back to the stuff and stuck my foot in the ice in the cooler. The kids brought everything to the car and I hobbled and crawled there myself. Met a friend at the ER to take all the kids.
My kids still call that beach Broken Ankle Beach 10 years later

Tore my rotator cuff climbing over a chain link fence; the pain so bad I begged the doctor to amputate my arm. And I have a very high pain tolerance level.
....were they able to save the arm? Or will you no longer be able to play Beethoven's piano Concerto Fur Elise Bagatelle in A Minor again?

In 7th grade I took a Home Ec course and while at the sewing machine I was careless and stepped on the pedal while my finger was under the needle. The needle went through my fingernail and broke off inside my finger.

Surprisingly it really didn’t hurt and the teacher sent me to the school nurse who removed the needle with tweezers.

In 7th grade I took a Home Ec course and while at the sewing machine I was careless and stepped on the pedal while my finger was under the needle. The needle went through my fingernail and broke off inside my finger.
OH MY GOODNESS! The same thing happened to me!! Only the needle went through my finger bone. I had to go to the doctor to have it removed. I never thought I'd "meet" someone who had the same thing happen to them.

My home ec teacher even signed my yearbook saying that I "would always be the girl who had the needle go through her finger."

The worse injury I ever had was at work, going down a long flight of stairs with both arms hanging on to items I was going to be bringing to some satellite locations. When I got near the bottom step I thought I was already on the last step and made my stride I little longer. I wasn't on the last step I was one away from it. My heal caught the edge of the bottom step causing me to fall forward. With my arm and hands full I was unable to help protect myself during the fall. My right knee hit with all the force of my 250 pounds plus what I was carrying directly on a solid concrete floor. I heard a strange noise coming from my knee with it hit.

What had happened was when my kneecap hit the concrete it quickly pushed back and up and completely severed my quad muscle. My leg below my knee was able to bend downward but once there I couldn't bring it back up. The muscle that does that was no longer attached to the ligaments that do that little job. The emergency room did not recognize the problem and just took x-rays and saw that by some miracle no bones were broke, so the were ready to send me home until I said... "You do know that I can't lift my lower leg don't you?' They replied "no we didn't know that". My fault I guess, I thought all that medical equipment would have shown it so I assumed they knew.

Anyway, since no skin was broken my leg filled with internal bleeding and surgery was necessary to reconnect everything and then 4 months of healing and PT to be able to walk again without crutches. The main problem with the injury was when the muscle was severed a whole bunch of the nerve endings to the knee and lower part of my leg were damaged. This caused a problem that lasted for around eight years where if I wasn't thinking about making sure my leg was locked in place while walking, my knee would pop out in front causing me to lose balance. They felt that new nerve endings would start to take over eventually. Eight years later they started to and are now pretty much engaged and working well. However, when they Doctors use that funny looking little hammer and tap below the kneecap to determine reflex, they get nothing on my right leg.

Post script: They failed to fix it while I was there. They referred me to a surgeon and sent me home. In the meantime the inside of my right leg was bleeding (a lot) to the point where my entire leg turned an awful shade of blue before I could get in for surgery. That was basically all the surgeon would talk about after the surgery, how much blood was in there when they cut it open. He was surprised that I didn't get dizzy or pass out from blood loss. Me too! Sorry, for the length of this, but it seems to require a lot of detail to follow the story. And remember you asked. :crutches::-)

Fracturing my hip and not knowing how I did it. Walked on it for two months before I found out about the fracture.

My daughter broke her little toe by slamming it into the door jam two weeks before a Disney trip. Nothing they could do, but tape it. They tried to put a half cast, but didn't have her foot & leg positioned right, so she was leaning on the bad toe.

We moved into our house in may of 2019, a week later, while unpacking was barely started, I stepped into the back yard, missed the step and fell. I broke my wrist in 2 places, twisted my ankle badly and had a mild concussion. I thought surgery would fix it all. The recovery was hindered by elbow pain that stopped physical therapy for a bit. I had tennis elbow then golfers elbow. lol, never did either. The elbow pain was so much worse than the wrist.

Silly injuries, walking down magic kingdom, looking one way, walking a different way. I tripped on the curb, went down and hurt my knee. Luckily a few days of being careful and it was fine.

When I was five, my dad was putting up a suspended ceiling in our basement (where you assemble pieces of metal in a framework and drop ceiling tiles into the formed 2x2 squares). He was using a chair as a sawhorse to support the metal pieces, and would cut off whatever length he needed for each section. He specifically told me to stay away from that area where he was working so I wouldn't cut myself.... :rolleyes:
I did mention I was 5, right?
I managed to catch my arm on the cut end of a piece that he had left tipped up against a chair. I don't remember the pain, but I remember the blood. I thought he would be mad because I didn't listen, so I ran off to... try to hide? bandage it myself? I don't really remember what I thought I was going to do.
Needless to say, he saw my blood trail and found he in an upstairs bathroom with my arm wrapped in a towel. I had a nice 3" gash so deep you could see tendons or ligaments. :scared: The first time I remember it hurting was when they gave me numerous numbing shots to sew it up. Burned like FIRE.

During my early 40s, I borrowed a little 5 foot step ladder from my mom to wallpaper inside my pantry. It was just a little lightweight thing, super easy to carry. When I was finished, I took the ladder out to put in the back of the truck. All I did was set it in the back. And I felt/heard this pop in my right calf, and just dropped on the spot. It hurt soooo bad. I crawled to the back door and up the three steps, opened the door on my knees to get inside. DH found some crutches in the attic of the garage to take me to the ER who sent me to an ortho. Final diagnosis was the plantaris muscle in the back of my calf had snapped. The ortho didn't feel it needed fixing (stated it was a vestigial muscle - not something you "need" to walk - possibly offering more of a sensory function to the foot?). The pain eased quickly, and I was back on my feet within a week. Just the strangest thing I've ever experienced.

I tripped while playing mini golf and tore up my knee. Made for some good scars

on the same weekend, I fell into a ditch and sprained my ankle. I was only 13 so there was no alcohol involved.

you know what, I’m going to stop there. I can think of so many more stupid ways I’ve hurt myself I could fill this whole thread by myself lol

I thought you were going to say "I was 13, BUT, there was no alcohol involved." lol.

I blame this on pregnant brain. I was cooking scrambled eggs. I picked up the skillet off the stove when I was done to serve the eggs. Pan was heavier than I thought so took my other hand and supported the bottom of the skillet, fresh off the stove, burning my palm. DH watched me doing it and couldn't stop be because it happened so fast.

My poor mother in law did something similar while frying chicken in her cast iron skillet. She misjudged the weight/balance, was about to drop it, so she automatically reached up with her left hand to balance it. Burned her palm from the skilled, jerked back and then sloshed oil on the back of her hand. It was the worst burn I've ever seen. :oops::oops:

Breaking my nose skiing. I could not get stopped and ended up running in to a fence face first. I was wearing a helmet thank goodness. I ended up needing to have surgery and that was horrible.

I sprained my back twisting to put on mascara once.
Oh and I got a rash when I was too rough pulling off fake eyelashes that I thought would look cool but which ended up looking like Gypsy Moth caterpillars resting on my eyelids.

First one involved tripping. Tripped over the garden hose that was lying across the sidewalk. Got my feet tangled up in the and slammed to the pavement. Skinned up pretty badly.

Then there was the time we were playing a family game where you had to find things, do things, etc to get your points. I had to bring a broom back to the game. I ran to the kitchen for a broom wearing socks. I got close to the turn to grab the broom, couldn't stop and slid right into the wall and hit my face and upper torso. I actually wound up with a torn rotator cuff with that one.

When I was a kid, we had a small shed out in the far back yard. We used to climb up on the roof to sit (it was about five by five square but tall), but you had to stand on an old tricycle that was behind the shed to get up on the roof. I was getting off the roof, put my foot on the tricycle and it moved. I fell off the roof, was knocked unconscious and wound up at the ER getting an X-ray of my head.

Another time we were getting the car loaded to leave for a vacation. We had a screen door at the back door with a kind of loose handle. You could bump the door with your hip just right and it would open. The screen had been removed from the lower half because it got torn and my dad just put in the window until we got the screen fixed. I had my hands full, bumped the door/window with my hip to open it and the window broke. I had a big shard of glass (like 6"x2") sticking out of my hip, right through my shorts. My mom removed the glass, got a band-aid for the cut and we left for vacation.

When I was about 12, I was frying bacon and hit the handle on the pan. Dumped the contents on my feet. I knew I needed to get them in cold water so run through the house and upstairs to the only bathroom and sat on the edge of the tub. Don't know why I didn't just jump on the kitchen counter and stick them under the water in the sink. Thankfully, it was summer time and I was barefoot. The Dr. said it would have been much worse if I had had socks on that would have melted to the burns. I had nice 2nd degree burns on both feet and couldn't wear shoes or socks for over a month.

Broke off the bone where your small toe meets your foot. I was carrying DS who was about 3 into a hot tub at an indoor waterpark and missed a step. Came down on the side of my foot, and knew we had an issue. Just moving my foot through the water was excruciating. We had only been there a few hours and had plans to spend the next day as well. Made the decision to go to dinner and stop at Walmart and buy a cheap pair of sports sandals to provide support. I finished out the trip and stopped at the hospital on the way home. Dr. wasn't sure how I managed to walk on it for a day.

Broke my tailbone switching seats on a midway ride at the Big E. The seat had a center protrusion and my feet were dangling off the floor... somehow when i pushed up and tried to hop off, I just ended up slamming my tailbone on the center thing... hurt for over 3 years. Needed a donut cushion when I drove or sat.
I did something similar but instead of my tail bone I straddled the middle part ouch

This is definitely one for the stupid list....

A few years ago, I was sitting in the recliner and reached for the remote (which was on the arm of the chair), and twisted my wrist to the right. Ended up getting 2 cortisone shots, had physical therapy, only to need surgery to release the over-stretched sheath around the tendon!

Who knew being a couch potato could require surgery?!?! :rotfl2:

So many. Top 3 stupidest injuries:

Trying to slide head first in a baseball game to impress a girl, landing wrong and broke 2 fingers.

Thought it was a good idea to rough house with a fraternity brother who, unbeknownst to me, was a HS wrestler--he rolled me onto my shoulder and broke my collar bone.

Trying to lift a heavy TV while standing on a sloped, icy driveway--feet slipped out from under me, TV fell on my arm and broke it.

Arrogance, determination and klutziness is a dangerous combination.

A few years ago I was taking a class. I had asked the professor a question and as she was answering me, my pencil rolled off my desk. Stupidly, I felt the need to reach over the side of the attached desk while trying to maintain eye contact with the professor. By reaching so far over, I put a lot of pressure on my ribcage and fractured a rib. So, I actually cracked a rib while sitting in my seat.

I’ve had two unusual injuries. The first one I was about 10 years old. My mother had these antique very heavy brass crane (bird) statutes. One had a pointed beak. My brother and I were playing with balloons and I tripped and somehow the beak of the brass bird pierced the skin between my big and second toe all the way to the bone. I had no idea how white your bones are. A few stitches and I was as good as new.

then when I was about 20 I took a part time job at a coffee shop. This was before Starbucks. I decided to clean the espresso machine and put my left index finger into the shoot where the ground espresso came out off. The machine turned on and amputated my finger. The sight of blood makes me pass out so I immediately wrapped it up and sat down. My manager, who didn’t drive, was adamant I needed to go to the hospital. So I drove us, in my Nissan Pulsar 5 speed. They reattached it, but several weeks later the hand doctor had to re-ampuate the tip of the finger

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter