The Liberal Thread- No political debate please! Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
rcyannacci said:
Well, I didn't realize that the economy, the war in Iraq, and "morality" were only "Republican issues." ;) I thought I heard they didn't care about polls...oh well.

You probably also heard Bush say he was going to bring honor and dignity back to the WH.

Who knew he was a comedian! :rolleyes1

From the Boston Globe

Rove said to testify in CIA leak case
By John Solomon, Associated Press Writer | October 6, 2005

WASHINGTON --Federal prosecutors have accepted an offer from presidential adviser Karl Rove to give 11th-hour testimony in the case of a CIA officer's leaked identity but have warned they cannot guarantee he won't be indicted, according to people directly familiar with the investigation.

The persons, who spoke only on condition of anonymity because of grand jury secrecy, said Special Prosecutor Patrick Fitzgerald has not made any decision yet on whether to file criminal charges against the longtime confidant of President Bush or others.

The U.S. attorney's manual requires prosecutors not to bring witnesses before a grand jury if there is a possibility of future criminal charges unless they are notified in advance that their grand jury testimony can be used against them in a later indictment.

Rove has already made at least three grand jury appearances and his return at this late stage in the investigation is unusual.

The prosecutor did not give Rove similar warnings before his earlier grand jury appearances.

Rove offered in July to return to the grand jury for additional testimony and Fitzgerald accepted that offer Friday after taking grand jury testimony from the formerly jailed New York Times reporter Judith Miller.

Before accepting the offer, Fitzgerald sent correspondence to Rove's legal team making clear that there was no guarantee he wouldn't be indicted at a later point as required by the rules.

Rove's attorney, Robert Luskin, said Thursday he would not comment on any ongoing discussion he has had with Fitzgerald's office but that he has been assured no decisions on charges have been made. Rove would first have to receive what is known as a target letter if he is about to be indicted.

"I can say categorically that Karl has not received a target letter from the special counsel. The special counsel has confirmed that he has not made any charging decisions in respect to Karl," Luskin said.

He said that Rove "continues to be cooperative voluntarily" with the special counsel investigation and "beyond that, any communication I have or may have in the future are going to be treated as completely confidential."

For almost two years, Fitzgerald has been investigating whether someone in the Bush administration leaked the identity of Valerie Plame as a CIA officer for political reasons. Dozens of government officials were interviewed and boxloads of documents collected.

Reporters have been called before a grand jury to testify about their conversations with Rove and I. Lewis Libby, Vice President Dick Cheney's chief of staff.

Leaking the identity of a covert agent can be a crime, but it must be done knowingly and the legal threshold for proving such a crime is high. Fitzgerald could also seek charges against anyone he thinks lied to investigators in the case.

The leak investigation stems from a July 2003 syndicated column by Robert Novak identifying Plame as a CIA operative. Plame is married to former Ambassador Joseph C. Wilson, who says his wife's identity was disclosed to discredit his assertions that the Bush administration exaggerated Iraq's nuclear capabilities to build the case for war.

Miller spent 85 days in jail before agreeing to testify before the grand jury. The newspaper identified Libby as her source.

Rove, Bush's top adviser on political strategy and policy, has known the president for three decades. He worked for Bush as far back as 1978, when he unsuccessfully ran for Congress. Rove orchestrated Bush's campaigns for Texas governor and president, then brought his political skills into the White House.

MizBlu said:
You probably also heard Bush say he was going to bring honor and dignity back to the WH.

Who knew he was a comedian! :rolleyes1

:wave2: Me me me!! I knew he was, a big one, too bad not all of his jokes are as funny!

Thanks for the article, Crcormier. I wonder if Rove will be charged with a crime. He certainly has been keeping a low profile lately. I'm guessing Rove will find a way to weasel out of it.

Wow.... there's a thread here for liberals and another for goddless heathens...

Life's looking up!

Special wave :wave2: to Belle, Boo and Ami's Mum, what a nice idea an American family coming here to Europe to see our Disneyland!

Rachel

Rachel B said:
Wow.... there's a thread here for liberals and another for goddless heathens...

Life's looking up!

Special wave :wave2: to Belle, Boo and Ami's Mum, what a nice idea an American family coming here to Europe to see our Disneyland!

Rachel

It's great isn't it. It should get really active as Karl Rove faces indictment and Bush's numbers continue to nose-dive.

Oh, and http://www.dailykos.com/ is reporting that Harriet Miers gave $415 to Hillary Clinton's 2000 campaign. I love it!

Sirius said:
It's great isn't it. It should get really active as Karl Rove faces indictment and Bush's numbers continue to nose-dive.

Oh, and http://www.dailykos.com/ is reporting that Harriet Miers gave $415 to Hillary Clinton's 2000 campaign. I love it!

Miers also gave money to Al Gore's campaign. I think it was in '88.

What do you all think of Miers? Is she a serious candidate? It sounds like the far right is more worried about her than most liberals, but I question whether Bush truly is unaware about her stance on abortion. My suspicious mind makes me wonder whether Bush nominated her knowing she wouldn't make it through because of all the unknowns and her lack of judicial experience. Then he'll nominate someone that truly is another Scalia or Thomas, like he promised.

swilphil said:
Miers also gave money to Al Gore's campaign. I think it was in '88.

What do you all think of Miers? Is she a serious candidate? It sounds like the far right is more worried about her than most liberals, but I question whether Bush truly is unaware about her stance on abortion. My suspicious mind makes me wonder whether Bush nominated her knowing she wouldn't make it through because of all the unknowns and her lack of judicial experience. Then he'll nominate someone that truly is another Scalia or Thomas, like he promised.

I think her nomination is a joke. The woman is not qualified. Just as an aside, who really is in this administraiton, but I digress. I may've had my disagreements (and still do) with Scalia, but there was no doubt over his qualifications. Nor was there any doubt about Souter or Ginsberg no matter how much the rightwing whines about them.

I don't believe this was a diabolical plan by Bush to pave the way for a different nominee. I believe it was a ridiculous nomination made by a person who has his own problems appearing competent. I believe this nomination was another example of key government positions going to Bush cronies who's sole qualification is they are Bush cronies. And, as usual, Bush doesn't get it. Gee, what a surprise.

It's time for this man to go. This man still has another 3 years to go on his term. His incompetence is a danger to America. It's time we started getting serious about impeachment. This is a dangerous world and one of the more dangerous aspects to the US is the arrogance and ignorance of Bush. Harriet Miers is just the latest example.

swilphil said:

I think it's a lousy attempt to appear as if he gave serious consideration to a female candidate who could be considered moderate. When rejected, he'll be able to say he tried to give a candidate both sides would appreciate, but Congress rejected it so he found another Scalia clone.

MizBlu--I don't think I ever said 'welcome' to the Liberal thread. I think you and Robin both make very valid points. It will be interesting to see what happens on the court--a little scary, too.

conciergekelly said:
:wave2: Thought you guys would like to listen to this station. You can stream-line it,XM satelite or there maybe some stations in your area. I have no idea if it has been posted before. http://www.airamericaradio.com/

Thanks Kelly! I do listen to Air America from time to time, but often listen to NPR (or my daughter's Disney mania CDs)! I would love to listen to the Al Franken show more often! Thanks for the link!

swilphil said:
MizBlu--I don't think I ever said 'welcome' to the Liberal thread. I think you and Robin both make very valid points. It will be interesting to see what happens on the court--a little scary, too.

Thanks for the welcome.

On face value, what's happening on the Supreme Court is scary. However, there is an inherent danger in trying to wildly swing the court to the right.

Case in point: Roe v Wade. There's an entire generation, both men and women, who believe they have the right to privacy and the government has no right to interfere. If Roe v Wade is overturned, that generation will be faced with the reality that a right they believed they had has been taken away from them. That will not sit well. The repercussions will bite the rightwing in the *** for generations.

And the same could be said about any issue, but Roe v Wade is the biggie.

The simple fact is the rightwing is not mainstream. The Pat Robertson's and the Sponge Dob(son's) are not mainstream, but on the fringes. The agenda of the religious right is not mainstream. Banning abortion is not mainstream. And the list goes on and on.

My guess is if the rightwing gets everything they want, after the first blush of celebration, they will get hit with a backlash that will send them back under the rock where they belong with the knowledge they really miscalculated and they really, really blew it.

my honors world history teacher (who is conservitive and hard headed :earseek: ) made us take a TEST to see what we were..im always arguing w/ him...so i of course am the 14 year old libral lady!!!!

go to all the librals..people who are afraid to be associated w/ the name need to get some back bone! :Pinkbounc

belle_of_the_ball said:
my honors world history teacher (who is conservitive and hard headed :earseek: ) made us take a TEST to see what we were..im always arguing w/ him...so i of course am the 14 year old libral lady!!!!

go to all the librals..people who are afraid to be associated w/ the name need to get some back bone! :Pinkbounc

This semi-old leftie is watching the rightwing and the free market fall on it's ***..........again. :rotfl2:

And the beat goes on:

Frist subpoenaed in probe of stock sales: WPost

http://today.reuters.com/news/NewsA...3T045542Z_01_ROB317652_RTRUKOC_0_US-FRIST.xml

Of course, Captain Video Frist is not guilty of insider trading. Just becaue he made a ton of money on a stock transaction, and others lost a ton of money on the same stock later, doesn't mean he had inside information. Nooo, things just worked out that way. :rotfl2:

Get off the streets and lock your doors. Frist may be on the lookout for another opportunity to save another damsel in distress who happens to be blind and in a persistant vegetative state. Just gotta save another "Terri Schiavo" from the evil doctors. Forget those evil doctors who actually examined the patient instead of relying solely on the tape. What the hell did they know when compared to a panderer with presidential aspirations. The nerve!

Frist better watch that he doesn't run into Bush who's looking for another rubble/bullhorn/retired firefighter moment.

belle_of_the_ball_, Good for you! We need more young people like you. It is not too often that kids you age are interested in politcs. My son is also a 14 year old liberal. He has a Global Issues class that he just loves. He says he puts them in their place every debate day.He says he kills them with facts and humor not insults. (I taught him that ;) ) We are news junkies and his teacher said that he has a good grasp on world issues. I am very proud of the fact that he isn't afraid to speak his mind. Keep up the good work! Good luck with your class.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter