THE IMPORTANCE OF BEING GOOFY! A 39.3 mile trip to Marathon weekend 2013!

RENThead09

DIS Veteran
THE IMPORTANCE OF BEING GOOFY! A 39.3 mile trip to Marathon weekend 2013!

So, a couple years back I saw a picture of myself from a trip to Manchester.
d3077.jpg

Not a happy camper after that. But the proof is in the picture. It was time to change my life.

I had a gym membership for about a year, but never stepped inside the gym. I got up the courage and went to my local 24 Hour Fitness. I asked for a tour since I had no idea what to do. They actually offered a session with a trainer as well so I could get used to the equipment. I decided a trainer was the way to go.

At one of our first meetings, he asked me to set a goal. The Disneyland Half Marathon seemed like a great idea. I loved Disney so it seemed like great motivation. After working through a 5k, a 10K, and finally the half, I was on my way to getting my life and my future back. And 9 months later I was there and hooked.

d8106459.jpg

Still loved running, still hated the gym. I need more, so I was going to sign up for the WDW Half. It was filled. So what does any normal sane Disney fan do, they sign up for the Full Marathon.

Training was hard, but I survived and despite hobbling the last 7 miles, nothing was going to stop me.
IMG010.jpg

From there I added 2 more Disneyland halfs and 2 more WDW halfs.
4cddab56.jpg

So what is left on the bucket list? That gosh darn Goofy Medal.

That is where this journal starts. It is my journey to the Goofy. I have tried to do a journal before, but this time I am excited to document the journey.

So please keep your arms and legs inside the vehicle because there may be abrupt turns and stops on this ride of a lifetime. Comments, lurkers, and supports are all welcome!

So running had been an up and down experience.

I started my journey about 270.
Got down to 193.
Hurt myself and shot back up to 225.
On the road back down right now.
Hope to be back to 195 for marathon weekned.

I hurt my knees, so my running turned into rest. unfortunately I did not adjust my eating to my slowed activity. Add to that a new job that has me at a cubicle instead of moving aroudn all day. And the pounds just snuck back on. No excuses, just hard work now to take care of it.

I have gone back to a trainer.
I now run with the Galloway method. 2 or 3 minutes running to 1 minute walking. It has helped my knees survive and I have been pain free so far with this training. Still 77 training runs to go, but so far so good.

To help me track my training I made a poster for my wall. I get the satisfaction of pulling the post it off the wall when the run is done. I also can see how many are left and adjust if I need to due to my work schedule.

917d49df.jpg

Fortunately for me, my company encourages working out and we have 2 gyms/health clubs at WHQ. One is next door to my office (my windows overlook the tennis courts and the indoor basketball court) so access is quick. For my weekday runs, I am able to do them on my lunch hour and after a quick shower, grab food and eat. We also have 2 running courses on campus and a nature area a mile away that has trails, so I can mix up the route of all the 3-6 mile runs.

Final post for today. LOL

Just finished choosing my outfit for the Disneyland Half.

Love the new VOLT color that Nike has. It is the highlighter neon yellow.

I got a gift card for my birthday, so what better use than to get my outfit set. Last year at WDW for the Half Marathon I wore a shirt that had DONALD KNOWS on it. I got a lot of great comments on it, and the characters interacted with it, so I figured, why mess with what works?

i give you my 2012 Disneyland Half Marathon Outfit....

79c37c82.jpg

The back says... 13.1 Magical Miles

I was going to go with Ray Knows cuz I am gonna look like a damn firefly out there, but didnt thing people would get the connection.

Plan for the week:
Sunday-Rest
Monday-Trainer at 24 hour
Tuesday-run 4 miles
Wednesday-Trainer at 24 hour
Thursday-run 4 miles
Friday-biggest loser DVD at home
Saturday-6 mile run

Happy and Healthy running to all!

I'm across the river in Vancouver cheering you on :cheer2: as I train for my very first run ever the Tinkerbell half.

Maybe one day my wall will look like yours.

I'm across the river in Vancouver cheering you on :cheer2: as I train for my very first run ever the Tinkerbell half.

Maybe one day my wall will look like yours.

Hey Neighbor!
I am jealous of you doing the Tink. I thought about doing the Half at WDW and then the Tink the next weekend, but logic won out. I gotta get that Goofy Medal off my bucket list and the knees are getting any younger.

I moved up here in January and just love it. I do miss SoCal and Disneyland and Angels Stadium, but it is just a short plane ride. The people up here are amazing and I FINALLY found a beer that I like (have never had one that I finished before...until I met RUBY at McMinnimans...MMMMMMmmmmm)

And you wall will be there in no time. Hope you get a chance to do a WDW race so you can add the Coast to Coast medal. If not, there are a ton of races up here in the PacNorthwest.

Have a great week!

I said goodbye to a dear friend today. We have had a long relationship and it is hard, but sometimes you just need to go your seperate ways in order to be the best person you can be.

So Goodbye DIET MOUNTAIN DEW. I had my last bottle today. I have decided to go cold turkey. It is time.

had a good 5 mile run on lunch today. a little longer than planned, but I kinda took the wrong path in the nature area. :)

I have also signed up for a trainer starting tomorrow to help me with the dreaded gym workouts.

Hopefully this will be a great kickstart towards the Goofy. also cant help in getting rid of a couple more pounds before Disneyland. Over 13.1 miles, every ounce you can reduce is pounds that you take off over the course of the race. A wise man named Bowerman taught the world that about 40 or so years back. LOL

Have a great week all!

Good by soda, hello migraines!!
I gave up soda cold turkey on October 24th 2011. And I have never looked back.
Just be prepared for the migraines, they will last a week or 2.
After that, you will feel like a new person!!

I found I had clearer thoughts, more energy, more stamina. And no indigestion!

I love your post it note idea! I might steal that from you. Just writing it on the calendar is not enough.

I said goodbye to a dear friend today. We have had a long relationship and it is hard, but sometimes you just need to go your seperate ways in order to be the best person you can be.

So Goodbye DIET MOUNTAIN DEW. I had my last bottle today. I have decided to go cold turkey. It is time.

Have a great week all!

Your diet mt dew is not alone. It was gladly received in the other world by my diet dr pepper that I gave up cold turkey june 28th. :upsidedow Along with the artificial sweetner and "sugar free" stuff I added to my water.

Don't worry about headaches/migraines. I did not have any bad side effects of getting rid of the junk. I did have some good side effects though, no more reflux, bloating and sleepless nights.

I decided if I was going to run a Disney race and put all the time, energy, and money into training I was going to do it right. So eating clean it is, along with the training. In the end I will be lighter, healthier, and have more confidence.

Keep up the good work. :dance3:

Good job on the cutting out the diet crap! Your body will be so much happier once you have detoxed from that stuff.

Thanks all for the POP support. Hasnt been bad the first couple of days. Did have a little temptation walking past the cooler today at work, but I went for the fresh squeezed OJ. At home I am going water and Diet Grape Juice. MMMMMMM.

My new trainer wants to see what I eat in a week, so I decided this would be a great place to track it that he can see. I will just edit each day as I eat. Also putting it in MyFitnessPal so I can track total calories.

Thurs 4.5 mile run

Breakfast Plain Bagel, Light Cream Cheese, 3oz Turkey Breast, 8oz fresh OJ

Lunch White Chicken and steamed Brocolli

Dinner Turkey Burger, 1 slice wheat bread, 100 cal Guacamole pack, low fat provolone cheese slice, 16 oz diet grape juice

Snack one peanut butter cup

Workout

Fri

Breakfast

Lunch

Dinner

Snack

Workout

Sat

Breakfast

Lunch

Dinner

Snack

Workout

Sun

Breakfast

Lunch

Dinner

Snack

Workout

Mon

Breakfast

Lunch

Dinner

Snack

Workout

Tue

Breakfast

Lunch

Dinner

Snack

Workout

Wed

Breakfast

Lunch

Dinner

Snack

Workout

Breakfast

Lunch

Dinner

Snack

Workout

My new trainer wants to see what I eat in a week, so I decided this would be a great place to track it that he can see. I will just edit each day as I eat. Also putting it in MyFitnessPal so I can track total calories.

I started using MyFitnessPal towards the end of May. I was running but not losing wait prior to that; having to log what I eat and see how many calories are in what I'm eating has helped me to get my weight down.

Good luck with your training. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter