The "I lied to get an ADR" thread

What's sad is that Disney execs have become more and more greedy through the years. When a business keeps a party of two from enjoying a restaurant for the sole reason that a party of four MAY or MAY NOT want that table and bring them more money, it's greed. And that alone sets them up to be "scammed" (if you call paying $35 for a buffet that'd cost $6.99 anywhere else a "scam").

The truth is, this "rule" or "policy" is not stated anywhere in any of the reading material provided to guests by the Walt Disney World Travel Company. Of course not. Critics would make meatballs out of them if they did.
Can you imagine the publicity they'd get if a bunch of single moms and their kids reported walking up to a restaurant podium in WDW only to be told that yes, they have tables available, however since they are only a party of two and would only be spending half of what that family who's still in MK and hasn't yet decided where to go to dinner would spend, they can't eat with Mickey ? That's exactly what they're doing right now, except it's through the phone. And since mosts guests aren't aware of how the reservation system works, they just assume that this CM is indeed telling the truth and that aren't two seats left in that restaurant that night.

Disney may want us to only book tables for our party sizes but no one can break a rule that does not exist.

::yes::

To really maximize profits, Disney would need to have the exaxt number of tables for the exact parties (including triangle tables) wanting to eat at that restaurant that day and time, but that is unrealistic. Disney and us guests have to deal with the limitations of the tables as well as the flaw in the reservation system. You'll never maximize your profits if you're turning anyone who wants to dine away! The fairest way to handle the adrs is "First Come First Serve". It's pretty standard across the restaurant industry to seat a two party at a four top as needed and I've yet to see a triangle table for three in a restaurant. I don't see why it should be any different at Disney, if you have to nudge the cm to remember to check out all the options, I don't think it's wrong or dishonest.

What's next - we'll have to place our orders 180 days out as well, and if someone who calls after you places a more expensive order, you lose your ressie? "Oh, that's ok, Disney, as long as you're making a bigger profit! It was wrong and evil of me to not order the most expensive menu items, anyway!":headache:

You know, the embarrassment goes both ways. I am truly upset that so many people seem to have the thought process that it doesn't matter if what I do is right or wrong as long as I get what I want. When I joined the DIS the majority of members were a group fo people that loved Disney and were just offering each other tips on how to have an enjoyable vacation. Now many posts are on how to scam Disney and get around their rules. It is sad!

Come on now, you and I both know, this is not "scamming.":sad2: What happens when you go to a regular restaurant? They don't turn a party of 2 away, because they only have tables that fit 3 or 4. Man, sometimes I really wonder where some ppl get off. I mean this doesn't even make sense. And for those of you trying to make her feel bad that now a family of 4 couldn't get in, because she is...HELLO the ADR system is a first call first serve, you should have called first. BTW, I've had 2 Disney CM's tell me themselves that it was perfectly fine to do this, and that the system is flawed when it says there's nothing available for a party of 2, when there are tables for 3 or 4. (Just for the record I have a large party, so I've never had to do this, but found out because of the way they split the tables.) They said that they're working on a system that will show everything available for a particular time (you know how every other restaurant does it.) No ones going to turn down a party of 2 when they have tables available for 4. You're not cheating the system. You called first so you get the table.

Come on now, you and I both know, this is not "scamming.":sad2: What happens when you go to a regular restaurant? They don't turn a party of 2 away, because they only have tables that fit 3 or 4. Man, sometimes I really wonder where some ppl get off. I mean this doesn't even make sense. And for those of you trying to make her feel bad that now a family of 4 couldn't get in, because she is...HELLO the ADR system is a first call first serve, you should have called first. BTW, I've had 2 Disney CM's tell me themselves that it was perfectly fine to do this, and that the system is flawed when it says there's nothing available for a party of 2, when there are tables for 3 or 4. (Just for the record I have a large party, so I've never had to do this, but found out because of the way they split the tables.) They said that they're working on a system that will show everything available for a particular time (you know how every other restaurant does it.) No ones going to turn down a party of 2 when they have tables available for 4. You're not cheating the system. You called first so you get the table.

:worship: Perfectly said!

WOW!! You took the words right out of my mouth! Well said!! :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

Just wondering but is that what they are working on for the ADR system? I know they are supposed to make it where you can book ADRs and Tours and stuff all in 1 shot, but are they also working on the ADR system to make it where they will see all tables like you said?

WOW!! You took the words right out of my mouth! Well said!! :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

Just wondering but is that what they are working on for the ADR system? I know they are supposed to make it where you can book ADRs and Tours and stuff all in 1 shot, but are they also working on the ADR system to make it where they will see all tables like you said?

The last CM I spoke to, which was about two weeks ago, said that it was part of what they were working on. She said the new system is to hopefully prevent double booking, and also so CM's can see everything available when ppl call for ADR's (instead of having to input how many are in the party first.) We'll see if it works:)

I just tried to see if I could switch my Teppan Edo time and date and the woman I talked to looked it up, showed availablity but only for 1 person. At first she told me there was availablity for both DH and I and even gave me 2 times to choose from..and so I went and changed my Marrakesh ADR for a lunch, got that all booked and then when she went to make my Teppan Edo ADR she couldnt because it was a spot for 1 person, not 1 table. She at first couldnt figure out why it was saying there was something available but the computer wouldnt let her book it. So she put me on hold and had to ask someone and then came back and told me it was for 1 person. Not a table. So I had to keep everything the same and cancel the new Marrakesh ADR.

So it is at a point now I think they are seeing everything available, because before when I made the call a couple days ago, and try to change Teppan Edo to the same date, the guy told me there was nothing available.

But the way this is happening now, any restaurants that has seating like Teppan Edo, CM's are gonna have to remember, they might see 1 availablity, but they are gonna gave to remember its for 1 person..not a table for 2 or whatever.

The last CM I spoke to, which was about two weeks ago, said that it was part of what they were working on. She said the new system is to hopefully prevent double booking, and also so CM's can see everything available when ppl call for ADR's (instead of having to input how many are in the party first.) We'll see if it works:)

:teacher: Okay let me recall some instances if eating in WDW resturants as well as three times just this past week we ate out:

Olive Garden, party of 5: Two tables pushed together to accomodate, our party sat where two parties of four would have sat but there was no problem w/ the OG staff.

Carabas, party of 2: My DW and I were seated at a table for 4, we had call ahead seating so we were seated before a party of 4 that was waiting and that arrived before us.

Planet Hollywood, Niagara Falls, ON, party of 5: We were seated in a large circlular booth that could have fit at least 3 or 4 more but was given to us.

'Ohana, on two seperate occasions: First time ADR for 2 and we were seated at a "two-top" table by the window, next time ADR for 3 we were seated at the EXACT SAME table except for a third chair was placed on the side not up against the window.

50's Prime time, ADR for 2, party of 2: We requested at "TV table" and were seated with 2 empty chairs.

Resturant formerly known as Alfredo's in Italy, ADR for 5, party of 5: seated at round table with empty chairs.

San Angel Inn, Mexico, ADR for 2, party of 2: seated at a table for 4, 2 empty chairs.

Kona Cafe, no ADR, party of 2: seated at a table for 4, 2 empty chairs.

Wispering Canyon Cafe, ADR for 2, party of 2: seated at a table for 4, 2 empty chairs.

When I called for my 1900 Park Fare ADR for my upcomming trip, well accually it was about my 20th time calling trying to get ADRs for 1900 Park I initally asked for a party of 3 which we will be. When once again I was declined an ADR I asked, "well is there any tables?" and she replied well yes there is an opening for a party of 2 and she asked if I would like it... :woohoo: H-E double hockey sticks yeah! There was no way I was gonna turn that down! Someone here has commented that 1900 has "two-top" tables and this may be a problem. My response is: I have never saw a table with only two sides...
Call it a lie, call it whatever you wish but my daughter WILL have dinner with Cinderella.

Thank you and have a nice day.:smickey:

Disney may want us to only book tables for our party sizes but no one can break a rule that does not exist.

No, but if it gets out of hand they can start billing you for no-shows. Sure, book a table for 4 but if only 2 show up there could be a fee. Somehow I doubt it's that pressing an issue for Disney but if it got crazy they'd just slap a charge on it.

When I called for my 1900 Park Fare ADR for my upcomming trip, well accually it was about my 20th time calling trying to get ADRs for 1900 Park I initally asked for a party of 3 which we will be. When once again I was declined an ADR I asked, "well is there any tables?" and she replied well yes there is an opening for a party of 2 and she asked if I would like it... :woohoo: H-E double hockey sticks yeah! There was no way I was gonna turn that down! Someone here has commented that 1900 has "two-top" tables and this may be a problem. My response is: I have never saw a table with only two sides...
Call it a lie, call it whatever you wish but my daughter WILL have dinner with Cinderella.

Thank you and have a nice day.:smickey:

OMG!!! I'm going through the same thing with 1900 right now!!! I need a ressie for 3! I just called to see if something was available while reading this thread....the system is down right now. I guess my question for the CM that answers is this "Is there ANY table available"!!! Thank YOU! Like you sad, my daughter will have dinner with Cinderella also!!!princess:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter