The Grain Grubbers Film Thread

cpbjgc

Earned My Ears
I do beleive there are a few folks around here still shooting film from time to time. I am just starting again using a very low tech camera and then digitizing the negatives using my recently acquired Epson V500 scanner (thanks for the info on that Gdad!). While I am liking the shots, I am having a big learning curve with the delayed feedback of waiting to shoot the roll and then get it developed :scared1: - I have gotten used to that instant satisfaction of a quick chimping session with my DSLR.

In any event, I do not think I am the only one out there shooting film (even if its a toy camera), and thought I would start a thread to share photos and thoughts on shooting film. All camera brands are welcome from large and medium format, all the way down to the toy I am shooting with. So please feel free to post or chime in - all are welcome here!

Starting off, my camera is 35mm with a fixed circular 10mm fisheye lens (f8 apreture only) with two shutters settings: 1/100 and bulb (as long as you keep your finger down). It also has an easy setting to do multiple exposures. I am loving it and looking forward to brining it to WDW when we are down next.

Vive le Grain! ;)

Starting off - when did I start looking like Alfred Hitcock?

p932695412-5.jpg

And using a toy to take a picture of a toy - my train to nowhere.

p763892835-5.jpg

Okay- I'll play- here's a few from a few different cameras-

Leica M6-

Burn Rubber by ~Life by the Drop~, on Flickr

Steam by ~Life by the Drop~, on Flickr

Hasselblad 500cm-

White Petals by ~Life by the Drop~, on Flickr

Food & Wine Fest by ~Life by the Drop~, on Flickr

Yashica 124g-

Little Pigeon River by ~Life by the Drop~, on Flickr

Ybor City by ~Life by the Drop~, on Flickr

Nikon FE

Mommy's Talking by ~Life by the Drop~, on Flickr

Say Cheese! by ~Life by the Drop~, on Flickr

Holga 120cfn-

Angry Canadian Statue Thingy by ~Life by the Drop~, on Flickr

Youse Guys Moychindice by ~Life by the Drop~, on Flickr

Cash for Clunkers by ~Life by the Drop~, on Flickr

Those are some very nice shots Jeff! Quite the assortment of film bodies you have worked with. Do you still have all those camreas, or have you pared down your collection?

Another from the Fisheye 2.

p578800246-5.jpg

The last round of film I scanned was from my Kodak Brownie Hawkeye. I've got a dozen or so rolls I shot recently (various cameras) waiting to be scanned still.

@ Longhorn Cavern
960463274_Rrnan-M.jpg

stuck in traffic in Dallas
960472017_vd5FF-M.jpg

the minions
960471733_iSWiv-M.jpg

Those are some very nice shots Jeff! Quite the assortment of film bodies you have worked with. Do you still have all those camreas, or have you pared down your collection?

Thanks- no I like to buy and sell old film bodies a lot. You can find some good deals on stuff on Ebay. I let the Leica and Hassey go- still have the others- and am on the lookout for a Fuji GA645W and a Yashica T5 at the moment. ;)

Thanks- no I like to buy and sell old film bodies a lot. You can find some good deals on stuff on Ebay. I let the Leica and Hassey go- still have the others- and am on the lookout for a Fuji GA645W and a Yashica T5 at the moment. ;)

Good luck on your search! After seeing some of your film shots, I am getting a definite itch to get a medium format. I am thinking I will go with something more substantial than a Holga, but who knows?

Holga's can be a lot of fun. Like the Brownie though, you gotta be willing to let go of the control. I find that type of shooting a fun break from the extreme control of my DSLR.

This is from a roll I found when I pulled my Holga out last summer to use. It's from 2003. That baby is now 8. I've no idea why I shot half frame.

960464767_CkD9u-M.jpg

Good luck on your search! After seeing some of your film shots, I am getting a definite itch to get a medium format. I am thinking I will go with something more substantial than a Holga, but who knows?

I would highly recomend a Yashica 124g- especially if you like a waist level viewfinder. About $100-$150 on Ebay.

Sisters by ~Life by the Drop~, on Flickr

Now I gotta get my pinhole shots scanned!!! Anyone ever use or make a pinhole?

Mine was an old wax tin, about an inch thick and 4" diamter, I never measured it to see what my focus range was, but an indoor shot of a church was a 10 hour exposure! Its still at my art school on display, probably the best thing I ever produced...

I will scan it tomorrow if I can dig it ou of the storage room.

I've got some pinhole shots around here somewhere.... I'm gonna have to clean the pile of stuff off my desk so I can scan now.

I would highly recomend a Yashica 124g- especially if you like a waist level viewfinder. About $100-$150 on Ebay.

Sisters by ~Life by the Drop~, on Flickr

Another beautiful shot! You have to let me know the secret to getting kids to be so cooperative, my daughter is always up for having her picture taken, but my son... not so much!

I was looking at the Yashica after seeing your Little Pigeon River shot above. I also saw a locally advertised Bronica 645 that came with 2 lenses and a grip, but it might be a bit more than I need for the time being. Decisions, decisions... :scratchin

There is a lot of interesting stuff out there for sure. Something wide angle with decent quality on medium format is what I'm trying to find without breaking the bank- I think 45mm in medium format is equal to about 28mm in 35mm. Fuji has a few options at 45mm and 40mm but finding a bargain on one is tuff.

Bring on the pinholes Daisy14'sDH and photo_chick!

I haven't done any pinhole photography myself, but have been considering buying an extra body cap for my XTi to try some out. I have a couple locations I think would work well once summer rolls around. I would be really interested in seeing what you have done.

And a couple more Fishy pics from me of my kids.

p960109427-4.jpg

p861638247-4.jpg

There is a lot of interesting stuff out there for sure. Something wide angle with decent quality on medium format is what I'm trying to find without breaking the bank- I think 45mm in medium format is equal to about 28mm in 35mm. Fuji has a few options at 45mm and 40mm but finding a bargain on one is tuff.

That's why I was looking at this Bronica package - it included a 40mm F4 lens. Its more than I wanted to spend, but oh so tempting!

1184272847_tPPDZ-L.jpg

I love that wall. Shot on Kodak 160NC 35mm. I took the same shot with Ilford Delta 3200, can't wait to develop it, that wall will wash away into a sea of noise!

1184272847_tPPDZ-L.jpg

I love that wall. Shot on Kodak 160NC 35mm. I took the same shot with Ilford Delta 3200, can't wait to develop it, that wall will wash away into a sea of noise!

Lovely shot! I can see why you like the wall, makes a great OOF backdrop on the composition. Make sure to post a scan of the Iflord version when you get it developed.

Someone considering something different than 35mm could go medium format... or do something really odd and go 110. :teeth:

PentaxAuto110-sp.jpg

Oh sure, it doesn't have the image quality of medium format, but it's so much fun, and it will fit in your pocket, even with a full set of lenses! :thumbsup2

I've got a couple of my SLRs with half-shot rolls in them right now from my sister-in-law's wedding... a 3200 and a 400 ISO, both b/w... gotta finish them off and see how they turned out.

Someone considering something different than 35mm could go medium format... or do something really odd and go 110. :teeth:

PentaxAuto110-sp.jpg

Oh sure, it doesn't have the image quality of medium format, but it's so much fun, and it will fit in your pocket, even with a full set of lenses! :thumbsup2

I've got a couple of my SLRs with half-shot rolls in them right now from my sister-in-law's wedding... a 3200 and a 400 ISO, both b/w... gotta finish them off and see how they turned out.

Were you successful in you covert mission? :lmao:

I had one of those Looooong ago. Not a Pentax though, can't recall the brand now, but it was fun and easy to shoot with. Thanks for the trip down memory lane :thumbsup2.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter