The Genie Usage, Tips and Strategy ONLY Thread

I haven't seen drops for RoTR in a regular basis. I will be also staying off property and planning stand by line for that ride. It is too popular and if Disney is not re filling it, then chances are low. September is a less crowded month so maybe you can grab one. Keep practicing so you can train your "fast finger"
Thank you. All of this is totally new to me.

That makes so much more sense.

I’ve just been reading that paid LL will be 7DMT and SM by the time I travel (December) which will be better for me if so. I’m guessing this means I can grab both these as 1st and 2nd rides, paid, then prioritise doing HM as my first genie+ - does this work?
HM usually has passes when you book your second Genie+ ride because it’s a fast loading ride (save it for your fourth/fifth Genie+; queue is spookier at night). I wouldn’t book that at 7 am.

If you want to do JC and Splash/Big Thunder last then something that’s more popular in Tomorrowland/Fantasyland that isn’t fast moving/loading would be a priority for booking (thinking Monsters Laugh Floor). Peter Pan is also a very popular ride that sells fast.

Maybe someone else can chime in with more experience with hitting Tomorrowland/Fantasyland first.

I am sure this is somewhere and I did do a brief search but couldn't find anything and not going through 200+ pages lol...

There are 4 of us, my youngest will not have a ticket. If I want to do a ride with my oldest can the two of us book a LL for one ride while my husband and youngest (who will not have a ticket) go on a LL for a different ride at the same time? I know it's one ride at a time but that's not for the whole group right? Different people in the group can book different rides?

I am sure this is somewhere and I did do a brief search but couldn't find anything and not going through 200+ pages lol...

There are 4 of us, my youngest will not have a ticket. If I want to do a ride with my oldest can the two of us book a LL for one ride while my husband and youngest (who will not have a ticket) go on a LL for a different ride at the same time? I know it's one ride at a time but that's not for the whole group right? Different people in the group can book different rides?

Yes, you are correct.

But because you don't get to choose an LL time, it may be tricky to get 2 different LLs for the same general time period.

HM usually has passes when you book your second Genie+ ride because it’s a fast loading ride (save it for your fourth/fifth Genie+; queue is spookier at night). I wouldn’t book that at 7 am.

If you want to do JC and Splash/Big Thunder last then something that’s more popular in Tomorrowland/Fantasyland that isn’t fast moving/loading would be a priority for booking (thinking Monsters Laugh Floor). Peter Pan is also a very popular ride that sells fast.

Maybe someone else can chime in with more experience with hitting Tomorrowland/Fantasyland first.
Makes sense, I’ll have a look what else we’d like to do in Tomorrowland/fantasyland - thanks so much for your help, it’s been great in helping me get a plan together

Guessing you’re aware but just in case - if you get 2 different LL reservations, your husband will not qualify for a child swap so he will not be eligible to ride the attraction you and your oldest do.

Yes. We’ve done this where one adult goes with our teen to say RnRC and the rest of the party goes to MMRR. It’s hard to book them close to each other so we utilize rider switch and standby rides like TSMM (fast loading, inflated waits) or do some of the shows in between.

A change from the past has been that if doing standby they require you to stand in the outdoor extended queue with your infant (at SDMT, FOP and as seen in the video below at RnRC), but the positive is that the rider switch is immediately activated (so they don’t add extra 15-30 to the standby wait for the rider switch-yes they’ve done that in the past).

Also everyone who is riding needs a Genie+ booking for a rider switch

Makes sense, I’ll have a look what else we’d like to do in Tomorrowland/fantasyland - thanks so much for your help, it’s been great in helping me get a plan together
If you look at the tip board right now (12 pm est) return times are:

Big Thunder 3:50
Buzz 12:40
Haunted Mansion 1:50
Small world 12:55
Winnie the Pooh 1:10
Jungle cruise 7:20
Monsters 12:10
Peter Pan 3:30
Pirates 1:00
SDMT 6:20 $12
Space 3:40
Under the sea 12:05

Monsters was in the evening a few mins ago btw, so it seems like a second drop

If you look at the tip board right now (12 pm est) return times are:

Big Thunder 3:50
Buzz 12:40
Haunted Mansion 1:50
Small world 12:55
Winnie the Pooh 1:10
Jungle cruise 7:20
Monsters 12:10
Peter Pan 3:30
Pirates 1:00
SDMT 6:20 $12
Space 3:40
Under the sea 12:05

Monsters was in the evening a few mins ago btw, so it seems like a second drop
This is great, and so helpful thank you. I’ve been looking at the tip board for ideas and I think I need to be booking early morning to around 12 for return times between 10-1pm (first part of our day) then looking around 1-2pm onwards for evening times (for adventure and frontier lands) Though course it does vary day by day. I can see spending lots of time on my phone in my future :)

All I need now is for Tron to open while we’re there and then all my plans will be null and void. I’m really thinking we should do rope drop but I can’t fit in a breakfast at Ohana anywhere else.

Also if you click on a ride on the tip board and then click ‘LL’ on the details page, when you refresh the tip board it jumps to that ride so you don’t have to manually scroll (helpful in getting rides listed at the end -TOT and ROTR)
B5B41A6D-3104-4B2F-8E0B-FEE7AECBF5DC.jpeg

Has anyone been able to modify a LL lately? DDs were there last week and were told they can't modify and have never been able to, which we know is not true.

Has anyone been able to modify a LL lately? DDs were there last week and were told they can't modify and have never been able to, which we know is not true.
AFAIK, you have to cancel the LL and rebook it. You still can't choose the return time -- that is only allowed for the ILL$ attractions. Since Genie+ started there's has been no way to modify a LL once you book it except cancelling.

Last edited:
Also if you click on a ride on the tip board and then click ‘LL’ on the details page, when you refresh the tip board it jumps to that ride so you don’t have to manually scroll (helpful in getting rides listed at the end -TOT and ROTR)
View attachment 680875
I never realised you could do this, it will save lots of scrolling. Is it too late to take you on my vacation? 😂

Yes. We’ve done this where one adult goes with our teen to say RnRC and the rest of the party goes to MMRR. It’s hard to book them close to each other so we utilize rider switch and standby rides like TSMM (fast loading, inflated waits) or do some of the shows in between.

A change from the past has been that if doing standby they require you to stand in the outdoor extended queue with your infant (at SDMT, FOP and as seen in the video below at RnRC), but the positive is that the rider switch is immediately activated (so they don’t add extra 15-30 to the standby wait for the rider switch-yes they’ve done that in the past).

Also everyone who is riding needs a Genie+ booking for a rider switch

I don’t feel that video is the best depiction of rider swap any longer as so much has changed in the past year since it was posted. It was taken when there were extended queues due to social distancing -and when neither FP+ nor LL We’re in effect.

@TeamSy you would get a much better idea of his child swap I’d currently working by looking in the families board as it’s a topic discussed often.

I don’t feel that video is the best depiction of rider swap any longer as so much has changed in the past year since it was posted. It was taken when there were extended queues due to social distancing -and when neither FP+ nor LL We’re in effect.

@TeamSy you would get a much better idea of his child swap I’d currently working by looking in the families board as it’s a topic discussed often.

Thanks but was more interested in us each taking a kid on a different ride at the same time (if we managed to get the times align) than rider swapping! This is the first year our oldest is tall enough to do splash/thunder but was hoping to do something with the littlest while she goes on that so it’s not a meltdown that SHE can’t go on it lol

That was the only video I could find on it, but whenever lines are extended into the roped areas (not official queue), we were asked to stand together and a rider switch would be issued once we neared the entrance/sign. This only applies to Standby because the Genie+ LL almost never goes into the extended area (it did for Safari Mar 2022).

Even in Nov 2021 when we rode Expedition Everest (Social distancing was removed), the CM with an iPad told us to go back and stand in the line (was barely 10 people long) and when we get to the entrance they will give us a rider swap.

Last edited:
Thanks but was more interested in us each taking a kid on a different ride at the same time (if we managed to get the times align) than rider swapping! This is the first year our oldest is tall enough to do splash/thunder but was hoping to do something with the littlest while she goes on that so it’s not a meltdown that SHE can’t go on it lol
Yes l understand but want to ensure you have an understanding how LL works with Rider Swap.

Are you asking only about Rider Swap (without LL) or, when you have a LL reservation for the bigger ride?

You are asking your question in the Genie+ thread which is why responses are focused on Genie+ and LL.

You cannot use rider swap in combination with LL unless all 3 people who have tickets have a LL reservation.

You’ve mentioned getting the times to align and rider swapping together in the same sentence. This will not work. If you want to rider swap an attraction that you have a LL reservation for all 3 of you for that same attraction. You, your husband and child 1 must all have a LL reservation for that ride.

You will want to go to the LL attraction all together and request a rider swap. Once you’ve done that, parent 1 can ride with older child while parent 2 rides a different attraction standby with the younger child.

Once parent 1 has ridden with child, swap and let parent 2 ride the same attraction with that child.

I’m hoping this helps clarify but truly your best way to learn about this is on the families board as it gets discussed often at length. If your question does not involve Genie+ I would request that you please ask it elsewhere to avoid muddying a thread discussing Genie +. Thanks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter