The Genie Usage, Tips and Strategy ONLY Thread

We were there last week. Found Genie + to be helpful at Magic Kingdom and Hollywood Studios.
no need at Epcot. It might have helped at Animal Kingdom, by we were able to do everything we wanted to by 2 pm without Genie +

I apologize if this is in here somewhere as I’ve been reading the recent posts but didn’t go back through all 200 pages….but the issue of times changing is that only with the individual LLs for purchase or with every Genie LL? I’ve never used G+…so at 7a when everyone is choosing their first LL, and say I choose Slinky…will everyone see the 9a slots open since everyone trying within fraction of a second and then it will adjust your time to something later as you click through the screens? or as soon as I pick Slinky at 7:00:03 it will show 5p or whatever right from the start?

I apologize if this is in here somewhere as I’ve been reading the recent posts but didn’t go back through all 200 pages….but the issue of times changing is that only with the individual LLs for purchase or with every Genie LL? I’ve never used G+…so at 7a when everyone is choosing their first LL, and say I choose Slinky…will everyone see the 9a slots open since everyone trying within fraction of a second and then it will adjust your time to something later as you click through the screens? or as soon as I pick Slinky at 7:00:03 it will show 5p or whatever right from the start?

It can change. If you've never used G+, here's a good (long) read on someone's experience recently

https://blogmickey.com/2022/03/updated-look-at-using-disney-genie-at-disneys-hollywood-studios/

I agree with Cjlong on this, but for different reasons. PPF Is one of 2 passes that go quickly or at least pushes out to the afternoon quickly, so even if you're in right away, by the time you finish, you could have a noon return time. So that makes it difficult to guarantee you'll get your return time you want.

If this is more about the strategy of booking another one right at 9 or a little before so you can also get in before 11, you may want to think about a different pick at 7am that you can guarantee will be the 9am pick. You'd probably also be able to select PPF at 9am for later in the day with this strategy.
PPF was just an example. Astro Orbiter or Mad Tea Party could be subbed into the scenario instead because their LL availability moves much slower than PPF. My real question was, is it actually even possible to scan into your first ride and book your 2nd before park open. Both of you are right though, it'd give an advantage but it'd only be a slight advantage.

I am pretty sure we've answered this (but my trip starts tomorrow so I'm really down to details at this point! lol) - on HS day, our #1 priority for LL is SDD. Goal is to just snag the first available one right at 7 am because, for the past few days, I have not seen another drop at 7:17 with morning return times (though Thrill Data does show some but I haven't seen them). Question: let's say we go through and secure one but it's for a time we don't want (I'm aiming for a return time before 10 am), can I cancel it right away and try again? I would think I could, since it's my most recently booked LL, but just want to make sure.

I am pretty sure we've answered this (but my trip starts tomorrow so I'm really down to details at this point! lol) - on HS day, our #1 priority for LL is SDD. Goal is to just snag the first available one right at 7 am because, for the past few days, I have not seen another drop at 7:17 with morning return times (though Thrill Data does show some but I haven't seen them). Question: let's say we go through and secure one but it's for a time we don't want (I'm aiming for a return time before 10 am), can I cancel it right away and try again? I would think I could, since it's my most recently booked LL, but just want to make sure.

Yes, you can, but be aware that it might take the app some time (not sure howlong) to allow you to re-book the one that you just cancelled. Would be better to back out and not confirm (rather than confirm and then cancel).

PPF was just an example. Astro Orbiter or Mad Tea Party could be subbed into the scenario instead because their LL availability moves much slower than PPF. My real question was, is it actually even possible to scan into your first ride and book your 2nd before park open. Both of you are right though, it'd give an advantage but it'd only be a slight advantage.
Ah I got ya. Would definitely be worth trying for fun, but you'd Definitely have to choose a low selected ride in the Fantasyland or Tomorrowland area, but my guess would be the Lightning Lane scan is not active until official park opening.

Just nailed it at HS today. Take aways: buy LL for ROR right away if you want to do it. Just buy it and don’t look back. Even at rope drop, the whole crowd is heading to Star Wars. We rope dropped TOT and RNRC (can do that one twice in a row), LLd ROR and genie+ MFRR. those were our top 4 and it worked great. Genie+ goes FAST so priority is important. Also, couldn’t get ROR right away, but keep refreshing and bought at 7:15 for a 10:30 ride time. Ride times were all high, all day. Even at 8 - 9 pm. Oh we only also were able to genie+ for Mickie Minnie Runaway

Just nailed it at HS today. Take aways: buy LL for ROR right away if you want to do it. Just buy it and don’t look back. Even at rope drop, the whole crowd is heading to Star Wars. We rope dropped TOT and RNRC (can do that one twice in a row), LLd ROR and genie+ MFRR. those were our top 4 and it worked great. Genie+ goes FAST so priority is important. Also, couldn’t get ROR right away, but keep refreshing and bought at 7:15 for a 10:30 ride time. Ride times were all high, all day. Even at 8 - 9 pm. Oh we only also were able to genie+ for Mickie Minnie Runaway
Did you mean you were only able to book one Genie+ all day? Just want to make sure I understood. If so, that's concerning considering you were at rope drop.😬

Yesterday did look busy. On Sunday, the actual wait for Rise dropped as low as 35 minutes late in the day.

Does anyone have any experience with purchasing an ILL or G+ on the day you arrive at MCO? I am trying to get a ride on one of the headliners at HS just to kick off our trip and wondered if people have tips (or cautionary tales) for getting something in the afternoon on the day you arrive?

Does anyone have any experience with purchasing an ILL or G+ on the day you arrive at MCO? I am trying to get a ride on one of the headliners at HS just to kick off our trip and wondered if people have tips (or cautionary tales) for getting something in the afternoon on the day you arrive?
You are eligible to purchase ILL$ and G+ from anywhere. I purchased from the tarmac of our outgoing airport and someone else reported purchasing during their flight!

We purchased G+ and stacked for afternoon when we would be in the MK. It worked great! Purchased first at 7AM sitting on plane, second from the Orlando airport and 3rd from our resort room so we had 3 stacked before even entering the MK. My only suggestion is to allow yourself lots of time for travel, etc. so book later than you arrive as you don't want to miss your window.

I'm not sure if that's the scenario you're asking about or something else. Hope this helps.

Need some advice, please, on how to tackle as I feel like I'm still not completely following how this all works (ugh, so frustrated after reading so much - WHY is this so confusing?)

Park hopper day: Morning at DHS and afternoon at AK.
7am: Priorities are ILL for ROTR and then FOP in the afternoon
G+ - do I wait to worry about this until after I do the ILL? Should I try to get one of my tweens to do this on their phone while I'm doing the ILL at 7am? Priorities for the DHS time are MMRR and MFSR (going to rope drop ToT and RnRC).

thank you!!

Need some advice, please, on how to tackle as I feel like I'm still not completely following how this all works (ugh, so frustrated after reading so much - WHY is this so confusing?)

Park hopper day: Morning at DHS and afternoon at AK.
7am: Priorities are ILL for ROTR and then FOP in the afternoon
G+ - do I wait to worry about this until after I do the ILL? Should I try to get one of my tweens to do this on their phone while I'm doing the ILL at 7am? Priorities for the DHS time are MMRR and MFSR (going to rope drop ToT and RnRC).

thank you!!
Having a second person do something can’t hurt, even if it’s just to give you a backup in case you run into a spinning screen (which can and does happen).

But, your situation would be perfect to take advantage of the second wave of ILL that comes up around 7:17.

If I were you I would shoot for the Genie+ LL for MMRR or MFSR first. I would go for MFSR because that goes more quickly, and if you’re at the park early enough (like a half hour before early entry starts) and do TOT and RNRC quickly (in that order) you can then go to MMRR and have a reasonable standby time.

After getting the Genie+ LL, you can try to get an afternoon time for FOP. In just the time in takes to book MFSR your chances of getting a morning time for ROTR are next to nothing. You can try, but you’re probably going to have to wait until 7:17 for that.

If you can’t get an acceptable time for FOP at 7:01, you can do that at 7:17 too. Do ROTR first because the times for that go more quickly, but not as fast as they disappear at 7:00. Getting an afternoon or evening time at FOP should be pretty easy at 7:17.

I have seen mention of people (this thread and others) looking for LL at the 7:17 drop- LL times usually experience a shift to earlier times between 7:05 and 7:10. It is ILL that usually has a 7:17 drop. I would not wait until 7:17 for hard to get LL rides that you really want.
(Maybe someone can chime in with personal experience about success with genie+ LL drops at 7:17.)

ETA my park days were 4/3 - 4/8

Last edited:
I have seen mention of people (this thread and others) looking for LL at the 7:17 drop- LL times usually experience a shift to earlier times between 7:05 and 7:10. It is ILL that usually has a 7:17 drop. I would not wait until 7:17 for hard to get LL rides that you really want.
(Maybe someone can chime in with personal experience about success with genie+ LL drops at 7:17.)

ETA my park days were 4/3 - 4/8
Right, my experience was that the appearance of the big new batch of LL times at 7:17 was only for the one ILL attraction at each park. That was the week of March 21.

For Genie + attractions if you want an earlier time than what is showing I would keep refreshing because earlier times do pop up occasionally. Even for Slinky times often showed up around 7:10. But, if I wanted a time for Slinky as early as 8:30 or 9:00, and could get 10:00 AM I would just keep it because there’s a good chance you won’t improve on it and you might not get it back.

Anything you use less than 2 hours after park opening at least lets you pick your next one before the pack that is selecting exactly two hours out.

shoot. That's what I was worried about. We don't go until June so I'll keep an eye on it until then.
I would keep an eye on it too if I had a trip coming up.

If I happen to note that it's 7:17 ET I sometimes open the app to see what's going on. Today the times at 7:17 for ROTR were later and disappeared faster than usual. But then a few minutes later there were return times for 8:30 AM and they moved out slowly.

So, it looks like today 7:17 came a few minutes late. It will be interesting to see if that was a one day thing or if there's going to be a new pattern.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter