The Genie Usage, Tips and Strategy ONLY Thread

Well that sucks. Looks like they changed it. I'll run another test tomorrow just to try a few edge cases.

I can confirm that I'm seeing the same thing as Orsino. Cancelling your most-recent reservation allows you to book something else. Cancelling any other reservation does not. I tried a variety of different scenarios, including bookings at different parks, bookings late in the day, bookings only 65 minutes out, etc.

So annoying, especially after I explained all this to a friend who's about to go. Now I need to tell them to forget all the cancel-and-rebook strategies I told them would work. Sigh.

I can confirm that I'm seeing the same thing as Orsino. Cancelling your most-recent reservation allows you to book something else. Cancelling any other reservation does not. I tried a variety of different scenarios, including bookings at different parks, bookings late in the day, bookings only 65 minutes out, etc.

So annoying, especially after I explained all this to a friend who's about to go. Now I need to tell them to forget all the cancel-and-rebook strategies I told them would work. Sigh.
Did you buy Genie+ for today just to test out how cancelling works? If so, thank you for your sacrifice.

If you read this in time today, maybe you could test out whether another event that triggered being able to book another G+LL pass is still in effect. I remember in the early days (October) that if the expiration time of your G+LL was sooner than 120 minutes, you could book another one at the expiration time even if you haven't tapped in to the ride yet. It should be easy to test. Just book a LL with a near return time (MuppetVision perhaps), then check to see when you can next book one. I think MDE should tell you it is the expiration time, not the later 120 minute time.

Thanks.

Did you buy Genie+ for today just to test out how cancelling works? If so, thank you for your sacrifice.

You're welcome. Just wish I'd done it sooner and I would have less egg on my face.

If you read this in time today, maybe you could test out whether another event that triggered being able to book another G+LL pass is still in effect. I remember in the early days (October) that if the expiration time of your G+LL was sooner than 120 minutes, you could book another one at the expiration time even if you haven't tapped in to the ride yet.

Yes, that still works the same way. Just booked a 2-3 ride (at 1:57) and the next time I can book is 3.

I have 2 questions
1) this morning I went on and checked test track, jungle cruise and Peter Pan. By 7:01, all 3 had genie+ already for 2pm or later. Then at 7:20, I went to recheck wondering if they would be no longer available and all 3 had options for between 10-11am. I refreshed a few times and those before noon times stayed. About 20 minutes later, it was back to after 3pm availability. My question is - is this common?
2) follow up question - if I book say test track 2pm and then recheck and see earlier availablity, can I reschedule without Losing the first slot? If I cancel and then try to book I’m worried if might move fast and I might end up with a later time then I started with.

I have 2 questions
1) this morning I went on and checked test track, jungle cruise and Peter Pan. By 7:01, all 3 had genie+ already for 2pm or later. Then at 7:20, I went to recheck wondering if they would be no longer available and all 3 had options for between 10-11am. I refreshed a few times and those before noon times stayed. About 20 minutes later, it was back to after 3pm availability. My question is - is this common?
2) follow up question - if I book say test track 2pm and then recheck and see earlier availablity, can I reschedule without Losing the first slot? If I cancel and then try to book I’m worried if might move fast and I might end up with a later time then I started with.
1. Yes, it's common. There appears to be a 10 minute grace period, so people that don't have Genie+ prepurchased have 10 minutes to buy without losing their timeslot, so about 10 minutes after 7, some of the rides that go quick initially will have more availability.
2. Unfortunately with Genie+ you have to cancel what you're holding in order to attempt another time slot. Their are no edits or updates. Also with ILL$, once you buy, you cannot cancel or change.

Just got back from 2 weeks. Had a terrible time trying to change a park reservation. I could NEVER cancel on MDE in order to make a new one. Had to call... which was one big pain. And of course, lost time for anything special (LL$ etc).

Has anyone else had this happen?
I easily could change parks from a PC prior to the trip but not once I got to WDW or at the resort, couldn't from an iPhone.

Just got back from 2 weeks. Had a terrible time trying to change a park reservation. I could NEVER cancel on MDE in order to make a new one. Had to call... which was one big pain. And of course, lost time for anything special (LL$ etc).

I easily could change parks from a PC prior to the trip but not once I got to WDW or at the resort, couldn't from an iPhone.
Just curious…did you try from a mobile browser or only in the MDE app?

um we have tickets and our Park days can we look at the Genie+ system before adding Genie+ to our tickets. We will be there in 10 weeks and wanted to check out Genie+ before we add Genie+ to our tickets if possible . . .

Question, if I see a ride is down like dumbo but a lightning pass is available in 5 mins, will it switch to a multiple pass? If it switches to multiple pass does the 120 min count reset or do I have to use it before I grab another LL? Also if I did Peter Pan with LL in the morning can I use the multiple pass to ride Peter again?

um we have tickets and our Park days can we look at the Genie+ system before adding Genie+ to our tickets. We will be there in 10 weeks and wanted to check out Genie+ before we add Genie+ to our tickets if possible . . .
Yes, I have been practicing with it for an upcoming trip. You can´t get too far without a park reservation, but you should get yourself familiar with editing your favorites, and seeing what it looks like.

Has anyone had it happen where your 120 minutes is up and you get an error you can book your next LL till X time?

example I booked 7am test track for 6-7pm then to went at 3pm to book Soarin but it said I wasn’t able to book till 12pm, but it was clearly way after 12pm. I booked no other LLs in this time. If it happens tomorrow I’ll call today wasn’t really an issue but tomorrow I’m planning to stack at MK in the afternoon.

Thank you for testing this again. I had disagreed with your earlier post, but then I started to think maybe I was losing my mind! Glad to know (on this one thing!), I am not!! I think the bottom line is the system ONLY cares and restricts you based on the MOST RECENTLY booked LL. That’s it.

Has anyone had it happen where your 120 minutes is up and you get an error you can book your next LL till X time?

example I booked 7am test track for 6-7pm then to went at 3pm to book Soarin but it said I wasn’t able to book till 12pm, but it was clearly way after 12pm. I booked no other LLs in this time. If it happens tomorrow I’ll call today wasn’t really an issue but tomorrow I’m planning to stack at MK in the afternoon.

I had something similar to that. Don't remember the exact times, but it was something like 1:02pm, and it was telling me that I wasn't eligible until 1pm. I was yelling at my phone that it was after 1 pm. Then after another refresh or two, it let me book.

So if it happens again tomorrow, maybe persist? :)

Yes, I was having the same problem yesterday trying to cancel on the app. I had to go to my pc to do it. I did not try it from a mobile browser but that probably would have worked.

Question, if I see a ride is down like dumbo but a lightning pass is available in 5 mins, will it switch to a multiple pass? If it switches to multiple pass does the 120 min count reset or do I have to use it before I grab another LL? Also if I did Peter Pan with LL in the morning can I use the multiple pass to ride Peter again?
I’m curious to know the answer to this also! Has anyone tested the ride down-get multi pass experience and paid attention to the next booking eligibility time?

Here now and I tried to find an answer first I swear but this is time sensitive lol

I have Slinky Dog Genie+ booked for our whole party (9 ppl) tonight at 7. My mom and stepdad don’t want to do it. I was thinking I could cancel their reservation and use that pass so my sister and son could do ToT at a different time? Just nervous bc the only option I see is “cancel” and want to make sure I’m not going to cancel it for our whole party!

How is LL availability for Hollywood Studios at the moment? If I book Slinky Dog at 7:00am are there typically Millennium Falcon LLs left 2 hours after the park opens?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter