The Genie Usage, Tips and Strategy ONLY Thread

N

Not sure if this would work…. Could one of your immediate family who you DO want on your party for the early morning LLs make their own MDE account, but only link their account to your immediate family (not your brother’s family), and then use that person’s account for booking your early morning LLs, and then use your MDE account later in the day when you are all together and all want to book the same things together?
That's a great suggestion. We could use my DHs account for us. Would be worth a try.

I did this for myself this Christmas trip because I can’t ride MS or other rides that give me motion sickness. It was easier just to book for all 4 of us, and then I could cancel only my LL and keep theirs intact.
Great to hear from someone who has actually done it! Sorry about the motion sickness, my DH suffers from that too so in some instances we'll be removing him after the fact as well.

These challenges still exist but there are workarounds for both.

Please read the 7th post in the pinned, Genie, Genie+ and ILL thread. It should hopefully help both scenarios. While not ideal, until a permanent fix is in place, people have found a fix that works for the time being.
Thank you! I've added that IT number to my phone! It will really only be an issue two days of our trip, since my brother's family is only in the parks with us on two days. After that I don't think we'll have any issues since my immediate family will only be purchasing Genie+ day of.

Not sure if I've seen an answer to this. Here's my question regarding grabbing Genie+ LLs (and specifically those hard to get ones like SDD). I recently learned that my brother's family will be coming and so we'll all be linked in MDE and will all have park passes for the same parks on the same days. However our touring styles are completely different. If I go at 7 to grab SDD LLs, I'm assuming it will snag them for his family as well since we're linked and they have park passes for that day too. I'm afraid if I stop to uncheck them (if the time doesn't work for them, they are arrive late/leave early people) before final processing that it will mess with the time I'm trying to get. So, is there a way after booking it to then have them just cancel the ones I made for them and keep ours or is it an "all or nothing" thing?
Question for those who have done this. Would this affect the people who had the LL and then had it cancelled, being eligible to book it again?

@mickey916, will your bother's family also wand to ride SDD? If so, you do not need to all enter the queue together if you're touring separately so you could grab for all, tour separately and both ride SDD during the return window at the time that works for each family.

Also, if his family wants to ride SDD also, don't want to risk either of you grabbing LL for all then cancelling the other family and basically locking them out of LL for the day as the reservations will all be gone.

Question for those who have done this. Would this affect the people who had the LL and then had it cancelled, being eligible to book it again?

@mickey916, will your bother's family also wand to ride SDD? If so, you do not need to all enter the queue together if you're touring separately so you could grab for all, tour separately and both ride SDD during the return window at the time that works for each family.

Also, if his family wants to ride SDD also, don't want to risk either of you grabbing LL for all then cancelling the other family and basically locking them out of LL for the day as the reservations will all be gone.
I'm assuming they will all want to ride SDD so ideally they will just let me attempt to get a genie+ for all of us and we get a time that works. It's tough because in the past when we've traveled together we're early risers and they sleep in. So, it will only work for us to ride together if I get a later return time. We tend to be rope-drop to close people so any time really works for us. I don't think any of them will be up and trying at 7 am so I'm probably their only shot at a LL for SDD...really happy to be going together especially since we really haven't seen them for a couple years due to COVID but the Genie+ stuff definitely adds some wrinkles to the plan.

I'm assuming they will all want to ride SDD so ideally they will just let me attempt to get a genie+ for all of us and we get a time that works. It's tough because in the past when we've traveled together we're early risers and they sleep in. So, it will only work for us to ride together if I get a later return time. We tend to be rope-drop to close people so any time really works for us. I don't think any of them will be up and trying at 7 am so I'm probably their only shot at a LL for SDD...really happy to be going together especially since we really haven't seen them for a couple years due to COVID but the Genie+ stuff definitely adds some wrinkles to the plan.

If you wait like 15 seconds after 7am the SDD time will be out to the afternoon and you can grab it for everyone. Where it says "Edit Selections" on the tip board, only select SDD. That will keep it right at the top of the tip board so you do not have to scroll down to find it. At 7am just keep refreshing until you see it get to a time you like.

Only disadvantage of this is that you will have to wait until 11am to make your next LL, but there's still plenty of good stuff available at that time.

Sounds like you'll be a great help for them as SDD LL fills within seconds I've heard!

Thoughts on strategy for a one day Epcot/MK split? My plan was to just book MK LLs for after 3 PM when we’ll likely get there, but is there any reason to book one or two Epcot headliners before attempting to stack afternoon or evening MK LLs? We’re skipping Test Track and Frozen at Epcot and will likely rope drop Remy since we’ll be entering from the IG. So the only other Epcot headliners we’re planning to do are Soarin and SE.

I have read so many pages of this thread I'm getting confused!

I have a few questions if someone could help answer:

1. If I have a park rez at MK for the day but at 7am want to book LL, can I book for a different park? Will those times only show up as after 2pm?
Or, do I have to book the 1st one at MK, then the 2nd (and so on) could be booked for a different park for after 2pm?

2. I know that once I tap into my 1st LL, I can immediately book another. (This is assuming my 1st is less than 2 hrs after park opening). Once I tap into the 2nd, can I then book a 3rd right away? (assuming it has been less than 2 hrs since my 1st)

3. Are LL unlimited for the day as long as they are booked 2 hrs apart or after you tap into one?

4. Can you buy a ILL for a park you do not have a park rez for that day? As long as it's for after 2pm?

THANKS!

I have read so many pages of this thread I'm getting confused!

I have a few questions if someone could help answer:

1. If I have a park rez at MK for the day but at 7am want to book LL, can I book for a different park? Will those times only show up as after 2pm?
Or, do I have to book the 1st one at MK, then the 2nd (and so on) could be booked for a different park for after 2pm?

2. I know that once I tap into my 1st LL, I can immediately book another. (This is assuming my 1st is less than 2 hrs after park opening). Once I tap into the 2nd, can I then book a 3rd right away? (assuming it has been less than 2 hrs since my 1st)

3. Are LL unlimited for the day as long as they are booked 2 hrs apart or after you tap into one?

4. Can you buy a ILL for a park you do not have a park rez for that day? As long as it's for after 2pm?

THANKS!
I dont know answer to one for sure, but I think you can.

2. Yes. Tap in or 2 hours resets your cool down.

3. Yes, but only once per ride. You can get as many lls as you can, but you cant do the same ride more than once.

4. Yup.

Answer to 1 is yes, but times will only be shown after 2pm in the hopper park. You don’t have to book anything in the reserved park, but you DO have to tap into it before tapping into hopper park.

See my previous post (#2848). Your chances of getting something before 4 PM might be a lot better than you think.

Using the “7;10 approach” should give you a good chance of getting something in the late morning or early afternoon.
Can you remind us what’s the “7;10 approach”

Where's the sticky in front? Isn't that where the known tips and tricks are supposed to be posted? Not trying to be rude but we need a thing like Mesaboy2 used to have for FP+ where the first several pages are informational.

I’m trying to practice on MDE some… when I go to my MDE to the tip board, it’s always defaulting to HS and only giving me the option to edit selections (to put some things at top) only for HS. I can change to other parks.. they just don’t show the ability to edit selections for the preferences.

anyone else face that and if so, any workarounds? Tried deleting and reinstalling app and that didn’t work.

concerned this will create issues when I get there if it’s still happening (at a minimum, not being able to use that function for any parks other than HS).

Thanks

Last edited:
I’m trying to practice on MDE some… when I go to my MDE to the tip board, it’s always defaulting to HS and only giving me the option to edit selections (to put some things at top) only for HS. I can change to other parks.. they just don’t show the ability to edit selections for the preferences.

anyone else face that and if so, any workarounds? Tried deleting and reinstalling app and that didn’t work.

concerned this will create issues when I get there if it’s still happening (at a minimum, not being able to use that function for any parks other than HS).

Thanks
on the My Day tab when you pick your date, scroll further down the page (under the calendar) and it should allow you to change park.

Can you remind us what’s the “7;10 approach”
There seems to be a consistent and sudden shift in the return windows. Around 7:10 am you’ll see things with evening return times suddenly show morning return times. They are either (A) withholding availability and not releasing everything at once or (B) people are canceling / shifting their plans or (C) a combo of both or (D) something else entirely.

Many times I’ve sat refreshing at 7am and I would see then most popular rides with very late return windows suddenly show a 9:40 am or something to that nature. The lesson is that just because one doesn’t immediately see what they want doesn’t mean it’s gone. Refreshing the Tip Board will do wonders.

I am planning to start a thread where people can discuss strategies and share experiences for booking SDD and ROTR. Because those are by far the most popular G+ and ILL$ attractions in any of the parks they involve some strategies that you don’t need for anything else.

My immediate family with hoppers is travelling with extended family without hoppers in April. My son is a big Star Wars fan so I'm planning 2 days at HS. Right now I have 2 park reservations at HS. Wondering if I should switch my HS reservation to Epcot (same as the rest of the family) and try to stack afternoon LL's instead hopping to HS after 2?

Only complicating factor is my family likes to have dinner in Epcot so I may need to hop back to Epcot for dinner, which won't give me much time.

My immediate family with hoppers is travelling with extended family without hoppers in April. My son is a big Star Wars fan so I'm planning 2 days at HS. Right now I have 2 park reservations at HS. Wondering if I should switch my HS reservation to Epcot (same as the rest of the family) and try to stack afternoon LL's instead hopping to HS after 2?

Only complicating factor is my family likes to have dinner in Epcot so I may need to hop back to Epcot for dinner, which won't give me much time.

It sounds like you might be answering your own question if you have to go back to Epcot.

Stacking LL at DHS in the afternoon can work really well, but it gets tougher if you limit yourself to just 2-3 hours.

That having been said, we squeezed MFSR, TSMM, Star Tours, and ROTR in from 2:30-5:30 after starting the day at the airport on our arrival day for Marathon Weekend. So, if your dinner is late enough you can have some fun at DHS between 2 and 6 if you don’t mind bouncing back and forth.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter