The Genie Usage, Tips and Strategy ONLY Thread

Just to try to paint a picture for people; if you are park hopping, the times for the G+ selections in your afternoon park will show up in the app as though you can select them for earlier times (such as 10 am), once you click on it, the app with show that you cannot book for 10 and the time will be set automatically to 2pm.

I've been tracking the thread and I've read that last few pages. I think all the abbreviations and new terminology is confusing me a little.

Is there a video that one of the blogs or Disney fan sites have done that people would recommend which breaks it down and shows how to do it on the app? I feel like once I watch someone do it on the app, I'll be good (sorry in advance as I'm sure some videos were posted on here before, I just can't find them).

I've been tracking the thread and I've read that last few pages. I think all the abbreviations and new terminology is confusing me a little.

Is there a video that one of the blogs or Disney fan sites have done that people would recommend which breaks it down and shows how to do it on the app? I feel like once I watch someone do it on the app, I'll be good (sorry in advance as I'm sure some videos were posted on here before, I just can't find them).
I can't help with the vids, but some of the abbreviations; Genie (G) is just the free addition to the app that anyone can see, like your day and the tip board within the app. Genie + (G+) is the 15 dollar a day add on that is similar to FP+. G+ lets you schedule a ride, and when you go to the ride during your ride window (that is an hour long), you go to the Lightening Lane (LL) entrance (that was previous the fastpass entrances). Some are talking about G+ selections just using the shorthand LL.

There are at least 2 abbreviations usually used interchangeably for Individual Lightening Lane purchases; I use Individual Attraction Selection (IA$) for it, but others use LL$/ILL$ which is Individual Lightening Lane Selection that you pay extra money for. These include rides like Rise of the Resistance and Ratatouille.

Last edited:
Allears has a lot of videos testing G+ and breaking it down, but their experiences have been so much more positive than the general experience I've been seeing on these boards that I don't really know if they are a true representation of the experience. I suspect that the vlogger spends like every nonfilmed moment refreshing to try to get better times, which a normal park goer simply wouldn't be doing. She makes it look so easy and like a no-brainer purchase, ugh.

You can't book a Genie + ride at your second park until your hop time which is 2 p.m.
I'm sorry for being a pain...so if I go to Epcot at 10am and want to make a fastpass for DHS; you're saying I can't book it until I'm physically in the park at/after 2? I thought you could book them, but your return time just wouldn't be until after 2??

I'm sorry for being a pain...so if I go to Epcot at 10am and want to make a fastpass for DHS; you're saying I can't book it until I'm physically in the park at/after 2? I thought you could book them, but your return time just wouldn't be until after 2??
Just back from a trip; you can indeed book a G+ selection in your park of choice for after 2pm even before it hits 2pm. You pull up your park you are hopping to and you will see the G+ possibilities, when you click on a return time, if it is prior to 2pm return time, it will change automatically to 2pm if you book it. So, at 10am if I am in MK and try to book Soarin in EPCOT that shows a return time of say 12pm, it will change to 2pm and you can book it for 2.

no, you can book whenever.

but you cannot book at time until 2pm or later at the park you are hopping too.

Just back from Epcot.

We used ILL$ for Rat. No G+. RD'd Soarin'--off by a little after 11 a.m. Then did standby for SE--15-minute wait, as advertised. The line for SE looks really long, but we were on the ride 14 minutes after we got in line.

Our Rat was for 2, after lunch. Walked right on. VQ was hugely long, so we were glad to have spent the $. Until we did the ride. Then we were sorry we even bothered. But, you know, another $22+--this week, that's hardly anything.

Note to anyone doing ETPE at Epcot: The line for resort guests to enter the park is to the right of the line for non-resort guests. There's apparently a sign at the entrance, but we didn't see it, so we wasted a few minutes in the wrong line, however, we were still able to ride Soarin' without a wait. The standby queue was 60 minutes by the time we got off.

There was practically no one in the G+ line for SE.

For the people that hop, does it seem to work better if you pick for your second park? I’ve been watching the tip board for over a month, and it seems like that would be the best thing. My plan is to purchase it when I’m hopping to MK and HS in March. just from looking at the tip board every two hours it seems like HS would be good for 3/4 rides and MK 5/6

it seems like rnrc and tot are available still around 1. So I should be able to do SDD and those two then maybe pull a star tours or saucers possibly around 3 (assuming an 9 am opening). Then at MK I think I should be able to do HM SPLASH and BTMRR then things like POC and maybe one or both buzz/mermaid.

I’m not going to get it for epcot. We will go early the extended evening hours and try to ride everything. And our other day there we will just do what’s short. MK and HS other days will be getting things done early at rope drop and extended hours at MK. We won’t be doing AK this trip.

Just back from a trip; you can indeed book a G+ selection in your park of choice for after 2pm even before it hits 2pm. You pull up your park you are hopping to and you will see the G+ possibilities, when you click on a return time, if it is prior to 2pm return time, it will change automatically to 2pm if you book it. So, at 10am if I am in MK and try to book Soarin in EPCOT that shows a return time of say 12pm, it will change to 2pm and you can book it for 2.
Clarifying:

Scenario:
- I have a park reservation for EP and am in Epcot at 10AM
- will be hopping to MK at 2:00
- LL return time for an attraction in the MK is currently showing on MDE as 11AM
- if I try to book a LL reservation for the attraction that I’m hopping to at 2PM, when I select it will it:
a) tell me I cannot book it as the return time is earlier than 2PM when I’m allowed to hop? Or
b) show me a time I can book that attraction that is 2PM or later or
C) something else?

Clarifying:

Scenario:
- LL return time for an attraction in the MK is currently showing on MDE as 11AM
- if I try to book a LL reservation for the attraction that I’m hopping to at 2PM, when I select it will it:
a) tell me I cannot book it as the return time is earlier than 2PM when I’m allowed to hop? Or
C) something else?
If you are booking a LL in the morning for the park you plan on hopping to later in the day, it will only offer you availability beyond 2pm when you select the attraction, at least that was our experience.

Last edited:
Clarifying:

Scenario:
C) something else?
It will show you the earliest available times on the general tip board. Once you click it the time will change to 2pm. Also, ime, wait lines are much longer at 2pm, presumably for this reason.

I noticed the same thing with ILL as I was trying to familiarize myself with the process this morning and thought it was just because I didn’t have a ticket. Wow, hope they get it figured out soon as that is super frustrating

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter