The Genie Usage, Tips and Strategy ONLY Thread

I’m sure these have been covered and I just missed it but, can two people make selections at the same time for the same group? Can I get passes for Slinky while my husband is getting ILL for ROTR?
And you don’t need to physically be in the park to make selections after that initial 7:00am (or park opening for non-resort guests) pass, right? You can make them from your hotel room or wherever?

This is my question as well.

Question on the "grace period" hack for setting up a stack. Let's say you created a double stack in the morning and use it for a few hours. Then you notice the LL time -- for Peter Pan for example -- is already way out in the evening so you book it before its gone. Now you only have 1 LL reservation to work with. Can you use the grace period hack to set up another stack? So it's 2:00, you make a PP reservation for 7:30 (for example), you make a reservation for XX ride at 2:30, you let that expire at 3:31, make another, tap in and make another....so now you're back to having 2 + the PP for later. Assuming there are rides with appropriate times...would that work?
From everything I've read, yes that should work. I can't wait until I can get back and test some of these things personally.

From everything I've read, yes that should work. I can't wait until I can get back and test some of these things personally.
This whole G+ thing has been a lot to absorb. While I think I have a lot of it down…..I’ve gotta admit I’m going to have to dig back into the whole grace period hack thing, as it remains a bit fuzzy to me. There’s opportunity there, but I haven’t really solidified how to take advantage of it. Somewhere I’m sure it may allow you to achieve a multi-stack quicker than without the hack. I also wonder if the grace period hack at the tail of a triple stack might somehow net you a quadruple stack? :crazy: All I really know for sure is that when I try and think the grace period hack through I start to get a headache!

Ok I really need some DiS help on this one. We are going to AK on a 8am open day and then hopping to DHS (at least that’s the plan). If I book a LL at DHS at 7, can I book my next LL at 10? (Bc ak opens at 8?) And then my third at 12? And potentially a 4th at 2?

On the “Just Back” thread, someone mentioned that HS is already out of any Genie+ return times with the exception of Muppets and Star Tours and paid $ILL for MMRR. That doesn’t seem to bode well for Christmas week and I’m not sure what to do now! I thought for sure that by charging for FP they had figured out a way to make them fairly “available” throughout the day. But pay $15/person and maybe only get 1-2 is disheartening. 😩 I was counting on continuing to stack and add LLs throughout the day until at least 6pm or so, with the hope that I would either have a good stack by then or the standby lines would be dying down!

On the “Just Back” thread, someone mentioned that HS is already out of any Genie+ return times with the exception of Muppets and Star Tours and paid $ILL for MMRR. That doesn’t seem to bode well for Christmas week and I’m not sure what to do now! I thought for sure that by charging for FP they had figured out a way to make them fairly “available” throughout the day. But pay $15/person and maybe only get 1-2 is disheartening. 😩 I was counting on continuing to stack and add LLs throughout the day until at least 6pm or so, with the hope that I would either have a good stack by then or the standby lines would be dying down!

Then it is not worth it. Getting three rides with Genie+ should not be happening. Would not be worth the money.

if staying on site can you get access to genie + at 7am on check in day?

Trying to plan my park days as won’t arrive until around 12pm that day but was wondering if could start booking at 7am or 9am?

Then it is not worth it. Getting three rides with Genie+ should not be happening. Would not be worth the money.
We don't know what the availability and return times will be on a true holiday date. If it looked like today, you might be better off trying to get an earlier first return time and then just keep using a single stack rather than waiting 2 hours to try and double stack. Its gong to be interesting to watch that over time. HS is also a park with not a lot of rides on G+ but almost all are high priority for many people. magic Kingdom for example has many more attractions to spread those G+ reservations across.

Also remember that since it wasn't a holiday, the price was not adjusted. The other alternative Disney has is to raise the G+ and ILL prices which would might reduce the number of people purchasing which would increase the availability. Might not be the solution we want, but might be how they address it.

if staying on site can you get access to genie + at 7am on check in day?

Trying to plan my park days as won’t arrive until around 12pm that day but was wondering if could start booking at 7am or 9am?

Anyone onsite or offsite can start G+ at 7AM.
Onsite gets ILL$ start at 7AM while offsite needs to wait until park open.

We don't know what the availability and return times will be on a true holiday date. If it looked like today, you might be better off trying to get an earlier first return time and then just keep using a single stack rather than waiting 2 hours to try and double stack. Its gong to be interesting to watch that over time. HS is also a park with not a lot of rides on G+ but almost all are high priority for many people. magic Kingdom for example has many more attractions to spread those G+ reservations across.

Also remember that since it wasn't a holiday, the price was not adjusted. The other alternative Disney has is to raise the G+ and ILL prices which would might reduce the number of people purchasing which would increase the availability. Might not be the solution we want, but might be how they address it.
Hopefully they will also have longer park hours. That would do a lot to increase the number of G+ handed out as well as make RD better since fewer people show up the earlier the park open is. Likewise, they could extend the park hours at night, although it is pretty apparent if they extend at night it will be for after hours upcharge events. One can hope though.

This was me! Lol. Genie was a total bust for us today in HS. After everything booked up on LL at 3 then standby became super long the rest of the day everywhere. Our only luck came at the last hour when we got to ride ROTR and MFSR standby. (An hour or so for Rise and 20 minutes MFSR).

But honestly, it was incredibly frustrating and there’s no way really to predict it and I’m not sure we could have prevented it. Our first LL was as early as we could get for SDD (1 pm) and then it was closed/filled for the day at 7 am. We made our next LL at 11 and that wasn’t until later. Then it snowballed from there….
I don’t personally see how this system can work for large crowds. It just doesn’t work.

This was me! Lol. Genie was a total bust for us today in HS. After everything booked up on LL at 3 then standby became super long the rest of the day everywhere. Our only luck came at the last hour when we got to ride ROTR and MFSR standby. (An hour or so for Rise and 20 minutes MFSR).

But honestly, it was incredibly frustrating and there’s no way really to predict it and I’m not sure we could have prevented it. Our first LL was as early as we could get for SDD (1 pm) and then it was closed/filled for the day at 7 am. We made our next LL at 11 and that wasn’t until later. Then it snowballed from there….
I don’t personally see how this system can work for large crowds. It just doesn’t work.

Your experience is making me so nervous for our December trip. Regardless of crowd size, I was certain with the initial reports of how Genie+ was working that I could make it work for our trip, even though I wasn't happy about it. BUT, current reports are making me second guess that decision, and I know how to approach the trip anymore! I could add another park day or two (arrival, departures, party day, etc) but that's a hefty price tag for an extra 30 min of morning hours and another ride or two at close! I know its all
"water under the bridge" but pandemic or no, there's no reason they couldn't have just brought back FP+ in its original form or just left it standby only until they had a better handle on their crowds and how to handle them, where to put people. They would have made plenty of money off their ticket prices and nondiscounted hotels alone!

I hope your trip gets better! And keep posting for us that are trying to figure it out from home too! Its incredibly helpful!

We are here now and experienced the same issue in HS today. It was frustrating and crowded. I am trying to avoid disappointing the kids at Magic Kingdom tomorrow, is there any advice on what order to book our LL? Which are most popular? Thanks

I think the following will save you the most waiting time (but conversely, the return window will be out the farthest), in this order:
1 - Jungle Cruise
2 - Peter Pan
3 - Haunted Mansion
4 - Splash Mountain

Today we were in MK. Booked jungle cruise at 7:30 for 2:20. Then at 10 booked Peter Pan for 3:05. Those are the two most popular! Booked Buzz at 12 for 1:20 return. It was SUPER crowded today. Then managed the stack. Pay attention to the paid return window for space mountain. If it’s running the same as the current time, the posted wait is likely inflated. We waited standby for Space while waiting for Buzz LL, posted 45min and 26 min actual. We were able to ride Buzz, thunder mtn, pirates, HM, little mermaid, small world, Peter Pan, and Pooh with genie+ and could have done several of the others in fantasy land if we’d wanted. Didn’t get to the park until noon. Totally worth it for these AP holders on a VERY busy day!

too bad you missed test track, curious what BG you got and when you rode Remy?
Nice touring plan though to get in SDD, ToT, RnR, and Star Tours all in an hour!!! I would call that a win!! did you feel like the time it took to secure these was worth it? did it consume your morning? I am wo worried about being too anxious about stacking that I'll miss the down time

I got Remy boarding group 76 and it was called around 3:30 p.m. We were hoping it would be earlier to sneak it in right before Hollywood Studios. What we ended up doing is keeping the Hollywood Studios plans and waiting until like 9:40 to go on it. They said "you're late, but go ahead" and on we went. There was almost no one going on the ride, so we actually saved time doing it that way.

It absolutely was a win. In two park days I didn't wait more than 10 minutes for any attraction and I only missed doing one that I was hoping to do. I did have some IT glitches to contend with on the first day that stressed me out, but I easily got my money's worth.

I did spend a little time fruitlessly chasing Test Track both days. I don't think I tried that any more than five minutes at a time. I had luck getting better times refreshing on both Pirates on the first day and Tower of Terror on the second day. Refreshing actually cost me on Haunted Mansion on the first day because the times kept slipping five minutes later each time and eventually I just took it. The nice thing is once you book a lightning lane you can put the device away again. I wouldn't try to book something for more than a couple minutes at a time. And if it isn't a convenient time to try to book something, wait a little longer until it is. I didn't find it too consuming. At times I spent a little more time on it than I would have ideally liked. But I could have been spending that time and more in a line somewhere.

Day 1 I had an ILL$ for Space Mountain and Day 2 I had one for Mickey and Minnie. I just read an article about how ILL$ isn't worth it for Space Mountain. If you're doing a short trip I think a lightning lane like that really could be worth it.

Using the grace period hack and 120 rule will this work?

MK example Sunday 11/21

7:00am - Book G+ LL - JC for 920-1020 window
7:30am EE (staying on property)
8:00am MK Open

Step A. 10:00 Since 120 minute after opening - Book G+LL for PP as early as we can get it
Step B. 10:21 Book G+ LL BTMRR since JC expired
Step C. 10:22 Tap into JC
Step D. 10:23 Book G+ LL HM

If the above works, can it be confirmed that if instead I were to get the first G+ LL for an earlier time - say 830-930, expiring before the 120 period - I then eliminate the opportunity for the double stack because the tap in occurs first?

I haven't seen this..

is scrolling through tip board the only way to start booking at 7am? Have to scroll to the rides you want?

like most I am thinking of my HS day...

This is the plan I'm going for:
7am: book SDD for earliest as it gives, buy LL for Rise and MMRR for early afternoon.

early entry rope drop: Tower of terror and rocking roller coaster (single rider)

smugglers run (single rider)

keep booking Geni+ as available.. (I think overall it's harder to stack in HS if your not arriving late)

Ok I really need some DiS help on this one. We are going to AK on a 8am open day and then hopping to DHS (at least that’s the plan). If I book a LL at DHS at 7, can I book my next LL at 10? (Bc ak opens at 8?) And then my third at 12? And potentially a 4th at 2?

You can book your next lightning lane 2 hours after DHS opens. And then two hours after that.

Let's say DHS opens at 9 a.m. One idea for you is either at 11 a.m. for your second LL or 1 p.m. for your third, you could book a LL at AK at a ride like Dinosaur that is likely to have an immediate return time available. Once you tap in you could go back to booking DHS LL's.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter