The Genie Usage, Tips and Strategy ONLY Thread

Here's our AK plan for September 8th. I realize that G+ is not that helpful at AK, but our tickets include it for all days (got them when adding G+ for the length of stay was an option), so we might as well use it. My wife doesn't ride Everest. I usually ride it SR.

7:00 AM​
Reserve ILL$ for FoP
7:01 AM​
Reserve G+ for Safari
7:30 AM​
Bus to AK (not getting up early enough to take advantage of early entry)
8:00 AM​
Park open
10:00 AM​
Reserve G+ for FotLK (or immediately after scanning in at Safari if return time is earlier)
12:00 NOON​
Reserve G+ for Dinosaur (or immediately after scanning in at FotLK if return time is earlier)
3:30 PM​
Bus to Beach Club Villas
4:00 PM​
Break/Swim at Resort
6:30 PM​
Drive to Fort Wilderness
8:30 PM​
Hoop-Dee-Doo Review

@Grumpy by Birth: can you report back on how things went for you. Your plan looks solid.

The more proficient people are becoming with the system the harder it is to get that third/fourth pass at a reasonable time (vs conflicting with a pm ADR)

This is so true. The system might look and work completely differently in a few months after everyone is used to it.

I think there's a pretty solid chance we see some big changes to it coming in the new year. I doubt they mess with it much before the end of the year since so many people have it prepaid, but after that, who knows what they'll do.

It sucks to say it, but the only way to preserve its usefulness might be to raise the price or cap purchases, both of which would suck in different ways.

I said this earlier in the thread, but the problem really comes down to the fact that there isn't enough attraction capacity to accommodate all the people that want to skip lines. Some lines are inevitable... and the more LL availability is allowed, the worse the standby waits become.

The only ways Disney can handle this are to cap park attendance (making people that are unable to get reservations upset) or to raise prices until less people come (making just about everyone upset except those with the most disposable income). Raising prices isn't 100% about greed... it looks like the fairest solution from an objective perspective.

I certainly don't want to see prices raised but there is an argument to be made that it's better to pay $40/day for something that works well than $15/day for something that has very limited usefulness. Also, if at $40/day, less people buy, that makes the impact to the regular standby guests less noticeable than more people buying/using G+ at $15/day.

Signed, a nerd who has considered all this mostly for fun.

Smuggler's at 10:30am - yep, likely 1:30-2:30pm.

MMRR at 12:30pm - looks like 3:30-4:30pm is most likely.

It really depends on the day for standby for SR vs RR. I think either is potentially doable, especially if you're willing to wait up to an hour. I'd see how it's looking and book one at 10:30am and do the other via standby. Of course there's always the single rider option for SR.

I'm thinking we will hit ToT first thing at early entry, and then perhaps ride MMRR using SB if it's not too long by then. If we reserve MF:SR at 10:30 for a (hopefully) a time just before we leave for our break then, if nothing at EPCOT is feasible at 12:30pm, we could possibly use G+ for something like TSMM or Star Tours that would (I think) have return times within two hours?

Then I'll have to just keep checking EPCOT attractions to reserve something once the time gets pushed out far enough. You mentioned the "big 3." Presumably, that's Remy, Frozen, and Test Track? Would we be likely to get an evening return time for Soarin' if reserving at 2:30pm or later?

I'm thinking we will hit ToT first thing at early entry, and then perhaps ride MMRR using SB if it's not too long by then. If we reserve MF:SR at 10:30 for a (hopefully) a time just before we leave for our break then, if nothing at EPCOT is feasible at 12:30pm, we could possibly use G+ for something like TSMM or Star Tours that would (I think) have return times within two hours?

Then I'll have to just keep checking EPCOT attractions to reserve something once the time gets pushed out far enough. You mentioned the "big 3." Presumably, that's Remy, Frozen, and Test Track? Would we be likely to get an evening return time for Soarin' if reserving at 2:30pm or later?

Looks like Toy Story at 12:30 would probably give you a time before 2:30. Star Tours is pretty much immediate all day and never has a wait anyway.

Yes on the big 3. I though Soarin might be at evening by then, but over the last couple weeks, it hasn't been. It's basically been an immediate return.

All would be very different if these were crowded days we were talking about.

Looks like Toy Story at 12:30 would probably give you a time before 2:30. Star Tours is pretty much immediate all day and never has a wait anyway.

Yes on the big 3. I though Soarin might be at evening by then, but over the last couple weeks, it hasn't been. It's basically been an immediate return.

All would be very different if these were crowded days we were talking about.

So, to get Soarin' for some time in the evening after we hop, I would just skip reserving a G+ at 2:30pm and monitor MDE until the return time for Soarin' is late enough and reserve it then?

So, to get Soarin' for some time in the evening after we hop, I would just skip reserving a G+ at 2:30pm and monitor MDE until the return time for Soarin' is late enough and reserve it then?
Yep. You can probably do all the small EPCOT rides with G+ in the evening... you just might not actually be saving a ton of time vs standby.

We just returned from our first WDW trip using Genie+. I was really nervous about it but found it worked very well for us and we were very happy with it in the end.

First park day we used LL for Epcot and hopping to the MK.
Second park day we used LL for DHS and hopping to Epcot.
Third park day we used it for AK and hopping to MK (we hopped to Epcot in between but only to eat at the Food & Wine booths and to ride our ILL for GotG, didn't get any LLs there).

1st Park Day
For Epcot we walked onto Spaceship Earth, did single rider on TT, walked onto Nemo, LL Soarin, LL Remy (had booked that one at 7:01am after getting VQ for GotG), LL Frozen, VQ GotG. Hopped to MK.
Hopped to MK - LL Buzz, LL Pirates, missed our LL for Magic Carpets and JC because of rain storm (rides were down). Used anytime LL for Haunted Mansion, LL IASW, watched fireworks, LL Jungle Cruise, anytime LL for 2nd ride on Buzz, ILL SDMT, standby for Space Mountain at park closing.

2nd Park day
We arrived to DHS later than planned (as we did on all our park days) and it was packed when we got in. Tried to do standby at Alien Swirling Saucers but only one section was working and the line time went up from 20 to 40 minutes and line barely moved. Gave up and did LL SDD booked at 7am), LL Toy Story (booked after tapping into SDD and start time was only 15 minutes later), had lunch when Backlot Express opened at 11am (happy we did, it filled up within 15 minutes and lines got long right away), went over for a drink at Oga's, LL Smuggler's Run, Droid Depot build, RoTR ILL, standby Muppets, LL MMRR.
Hopped to Epcot via Skyliners - My party split initially so I could get a champagne and watch Impressions de France, they did LL for Soarin and standby for Living with the Land. Got back together and also met up with friends. LL Mission Space, VQ GotG. Had another bad rain storm and Harmonious was delayed. Part of our party watched Harmonious and some of us rode Frozen during the deluxe evening hours. Then half went to Test Track and half to Remy. The rain really impacted the first 30 minutes so the evening wasn't as successful as we hoped but everyone still had a good time. I also got Fish & Chips and was happy to see that open during the late evening hours.

3rd Park Day
Animal Kingdom - LL Navi, ILL FoP, LL Safari, LL Expedition Everest, LL Kali River Rapids.
Hopped to Epcot just for some Food & Wine and ILL GotC.
Hopped to MK - Skipper's Canteen adr, LL Splash, had LL for BTMRR but line was totally backed up so just canceled and went to get a good spot for the Fireworks. LL Buzz, LL Space Mountain, People Mover, LL Peter Pan. Our party split and some went to the gift shops and the rest of us met up with some friends for deluxe evening hours. Did Splash, BTMRR, was walking to SDMT when the lightening started (was about midnight now). Total downpour so all outdoor rides closed. Did Space Mountain 2 more times.

In between rides we took photo pass pictures, would get drinks/snacks, etc.. We encountered a lot of August rain/lightening which always seemed to take an hour or two out of the evening park time. We split up the park days with resort/pool days and one at Typhoon Lagoon. We really needed the breaks after the LONG park days with 12+ miles of walking each time.

Genie+ and ILL added to our costs but also made the most of our three park days. If we had 5+ park days, I may not have done it. Our next trip will be with extended family and I don't think they'll want to spend the extra so will have something to compare the experience with.

Do they offer G+ LL return times at MK during extended evening hours? Can those be booked earlier in the evening or do you have to wait until the extended hours begin for those times to become available?

If I plan on stacking for Hollywood studios for the afternoon and evening and we are park hopping is there major benefit to starting day at animal kingdom. I believe I could start stacking 1 hour earlier because animal kingdom usual opens earlier.

Do they offer G+ LL return times at MK during extended evening hours? Can those be booked earlier in the evening or do you have to wait until the extended hours begin for those times to become available?
No G+ during extended evening hours. They are not necessary either. What did do that worked well for us though, was to get LL in the hour before close for a one or two rides. One time I had stacked both Splash and BTMRR as Splash does not run during EEH, so we did those two then left that area to focus on others. Worked well for us if you have Genie + and are there prior to EEH starting.

If I plan on stacking for Hollywood studios for the afternoon and evening and we are park hopping is there major benefit to starting day at animal kingdom. I believe I could start stacking 1 hour earlier because animal kingdom usual opens earlier.

You have to tap into AK before you are allowed to tap into HS. That not an easy task if you are not actually visiting AK.

I think I'm starting to understand the new ways - the G+ and the ILL's. However, I think we will have so many issues since we aren't staying onsite. We RD every day, but that won't be the advantage it used to be since on-site guests get a 1/2 start now.

Here are my questions - and any help would be greatly appreciated :earsboy:
For MK day - we will RD. At park opening, I will try to ILL 7DMT and then G+ everything else. Where should we head first? Is 7DMT the only thing that's hard to get there now?

For HS day - this seems the hardest. If I head to SDD at RD, is it too late? Is that where all the onsite guests will be? Will I have a chance to G+ this? We will ILL the RofR and hope for the best there. Should we head to RofR at RD or will the line already be insane? Can TSM and Smugglers be G+ pretty easy? Same with Rock N Roller Coaster and TofT?

For EP day - this one is the most confusing to me, as I still don't really understand the VQ for Guardians yet. But, I guess at RD try to ILL this and try to G+ Remy right at 7am? And after Remy, try to G+ TT and Soarin?

Thank you!!!

I asked this same question a few months ago and was told that the booking for 2 hours after park opening is for the park your first LL is booked at. So if your first LL is booked for when you hop to HS in the afternoon, the next one you could book is 2 hours after HS opens, not AK.

That being said, that is what a few people on here responded when I asked, I have not actually had a chance to test this out in person (not that I don't trust people on here, I just like to have personal experience before being sure of an answer :rotfl2:)

I will be testing this out in a few weeks though, so I can report back if I can book my second LL based on AK opening vs HS opening.

I think I'm starting to understand the new ways - the G+ and the ILL's. However, I think we will have so many issues since we aren't staying onsite. We RD every day, but that won't be the advantage it used to be since on-site guests get a 1/2 start now.

Here are my questions - and any help would be greatly appreciated :earsboy:
For MK day - we will RD. At park opening, I will try to ILL 7DMT and then G+ everything else. Where should we head first? Is 7DMT the only thing that's hard to get there now?

For HS day - this seems the hardest. If I head to SDD at RD, is it too late? Is that where all the onsite guests will be? Will I have a chance to G+ this? We will ILL the RofR and hope for the best there. Should we head to RofR at RD or will the line already be insane? Can TSM and Smugglers be G+ pretty easy? Same with Rock N Roller Coaster and TofT?

For EP day - this one is the most confusing to me, as I still don't really understand the VQ for Guardians yet. But, I guess at RD try to ILL this and try to G+ Remy right at 7am? And after Remy, try to G+ TT and Soarin?

Thank you!!!
At 7am book LL for Jungle Cruise. At park opening book Mine Train ILL (should be easy to get).
If at park opening RD, go to the attractions that EE guests cannot get to during EE. So Splash Mountain first (no LL), then Big Thunder Mountain (no LL), then Pirates of the Caribbean (no LL). Anything that has a wait of 30 minutes less is worth waiting in the regular line for and not use LL.
Once you scan LL for Jungle or 2 hours have passed make Peter Pan the next LL, LL after that will be Space Mountain.

At 7am book LL for Slinky. At park opening book Rise ILL (will be harder to get but you may be able to get right at 8 or after a few app refreshes).
RD Tower (no LL) and if wait for RNRC is 30 minutes or less after Tower, ride RNRC (no LL). Then check on Toy Story Midway Mania.
Once you scan LL into Slinky, make Falcon your second LL choice. Third LL you go for will be Railway.

At 7am try for the VQ for Guardians first, then Frozen LL.
At park opening Soarin (no LL), Land (no LL), Mission Space (no LL), Seas (no LL), Spaceship Earth (no LL), etc.
Second LL for be for either Remy or Test Track. I would choose Remy over TT as TT seems easier to get on a refresh.

Learn about the App Refresh Trick.

Last edited:
At 7am book LL for Jungle Cruise. At park opening book Mine Train ILL (should be easy to get).
If at park opening RD, go to the attractions that EE guests cannot get to during EE. So Splash Mountain first (no LL), then Big Thunder Mountain (no LL), then Pirates of the Caribbean (no LL).
Once you scan LL for Jungle or 2 hours have passed make Peter Pan the next LL, LL after that will be Space Mountain.

At 7am book LL for Slinky. At park opening book Rise ILL (will be harder to get but you may be able to get right at 8 or after a few app refreshes).
RD Tower (no LL) and if wait for RNRC is 30 minutes or less after Tower, ride RNRC (no LL). Then check on Toy Story Midway Mania.
Once you scan LL into Slinky, make Falcon your second LL choice. Third LL you go for will be Railway.

At 7am try for the VQ for Guardians first, then Frozen LL.
At park opening Soarin (no LL), Land (no LL), Mission Space (no LL), Seas (no LL), Spaceship Earth (no LL), etc.
Second LL for be for either Remy or Test Track. I would choose Remy over TT as TT seems easier to get on a refresh.

Learn about the App Refresh Trick.
First of all - WOW - thank you!!! I've copied your suggestions and added to my personal report!
Second of all - how do I learn about the App Refresh Trick?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter