The Gang's All Here for Princess Toddler's First Trip to Walt Disney World

BellesLibrary

With a dreamy, far-off look, and her nose stuck in
Hi, fellow Disney lovers! I'm Natalie: travel blogger, toddler parent, Clemson alumna, tea drinker, and Disney addict.

fdYQ20lPRSWSO920P45M5BNem-kj_Ju6k8aJD4o5-SQ=w685-h456-p-no

My parents, sister, husband, and I just got back from our trip to Walt Disney World, where we showed my daughter the time of her tiny little life.

There was laughter. There was complaining. There were soggy shoes. There were random bouts of spontaneous Christmas caroling. :santa:

It was basically the greatest family trip that ever was (which is saying a lot, as I travel with my family all of the time--one of those perks of being a travel blogger)!

We arrived Saturday, December 6 and left the following Saturday, December 13. I'm no stranger to Walt Disney World, as it was a favorite family trip destination during my childhood, but this was one of the longest trips I'd taken there. I loved it!

I have SO much to share, so let's get started! I hope you'll follow along! (And I hope I do better with this trip report than I did with my PTR. RIP, forgotten PTR that withered away in the dark corners of the Disboards!!)

Before we get this train underway, let's meet the people in starring roles! (Not to be confused with the people in Starring Rolls.)

There's me, Natalie, your peppy, Disney addict of a narrator, and the person who set this trip in motion. I work as a travel blogger and freelance writer, which lets me exercise my creative side while working from home with my daughter. I've also been a college Literature professor, and I adore all things British Literature!

And then, there's my husband, Landon, who doesn't quite understand my Disney obsession but loves me enough to go along with it. He's a banker, and this was his first time going to all four parks. He'd been to Magic Kingdom twice before (once when he was 2, and once just a few years ago), but he was introduced to AK, HS, and Epcot on this trip!

wnj16oTPVUnHEqdKNj1NQJzHprWexGX-ET98LJTVALM=w707-h469-p-no

When we found out that we were expecting our daughter in late 2012, I immediately starting thinking about when we were going to take her to Disney World. I know, I know! Most people at that stage are picking out name and decorating the nursery, but not me. :) Her first trip to Disney was just as important as her first words and her first tooth!

When my parents and my sister caught wind that Landon and I were planning a trip for our yet-to-be-named daughter, they immediately wanted to be a part of it. By the time that Britton was born in mid-2013, we'd picked out rough dates and had started buying her the many costumes that she'd wear on the trip.

EGxNDlRc3ijwOM9iDc_LwK8kMneyD9J2XQmUkuPNeQk=w709-h469-p-no

From left to right: my dad (whose expression should tell you a lot about his personality!), my mom, Britton, my sister, and my husband

My dad is a banker and is an all around goofball. He's the first to complain that we're going to Disney AGAIN, but he's never missed a trip!

My mom is an accountant and works all of the time. In fact, I was happy to have her on this trip just so I could see her for more than a few seconds! She loves Disney, and she's the driving reason why I love it so much, too. My parents are no strangers to Disney World, as they brought my sister and I ALL of the time when we were younger.

My sister works as a Human Resources manager, and she's my partner-in-crime when it comes to Disney World. Amber and I have even taken a few trips without anyone else: sisters' trips rule! She loves Cinderella and is pretty sure she's a princess.

Britton, my daughter, is 18 months old, and incredibly curious about the world around her. She loves eating pasta or cookies and talking (often at the same time), Minnie Mouse, and Pooh Bear.

We all hail from Charleston, South Carolina, and caravanned down to the House of Mouse together. We're basically the Cleaver family--just a crazier version!

Whew!

So, that's the gang in a nutshell. Let's see how we all fare during our trip. Were there any personality clashes? Did we all get along well? Did my dad finally decide that he'd had enough of Disney? And (most importantly), did Britton spaz when she met her idol, Minnie Mouse?

Hello there, from Charleston, IL! LOL I'd much rather be in SC than IL right now. My husband is a Athletic Band Director at EIU.

LOVE taking babies to the world! My oldest was 2.5 on her first trip and my youngest was 19 months on her first trip! :good vibes

Your daughter is ADORABLE! I can't wait to see what magic and happiness you guys get into on your trip! :woohoo:

I will jump on in too. I am from SC too! And my 6 year old, Lawson LOVES Clemson! Like is obsessed! The rest of us are Gamecocks so you can imagine how funny it is!! :) And my youngest is Landen with an E and we are expecting another this summer!

Joining in! Looks like so much fun!
Yay! I'm so glad to have you along, WDWCarla! It should be a wild and crazy ride!

Hello there, from Charleston, IL! LOL I'd much rather be in SC than IL right now. My husband is a Athletic Band Director at EIU.

LOVE taking babies to the world! My oldest was 2.5 on her first trip and my youngest was 19 months on her first trip! :good vibes

Your daughter is ADORABLE! I can't wait to see what magic and happiness you guys get into on your trip! :woohoo:

Francis, I bet it's a little chillier in your Charleston than it is here! Though, I have to say, I love to complain that it's cold when it dips below 70. I'm SUCH a weenie when it comes to the cold!

I love hearing about other families with little ones going to the World! My parents took me for the first time when I was about 18 months old. My sister's first trip while while my mom was still pregnant with her!

And thanks for the sweet words about our daughter. We think she's pretty terrific, too!

I will jump on in too. I am from SC too! And my 6 year old, Lawson LOVES Clemson! Like is obsessed! The rest of us are Gamecocks so you can imagine how funny it is!! :) And my youngest is Landen with an E and we are expecting another this summer!
Whoa! That is AWESOME! My husband (Landon) has a brother named Lawton--almost just like your Landen and Lawson. SO cool! (Please tell me they get along better than my husband and brother-in-law!)

Yay for another SC Disney fan! That's so funny that your son loves Clemson (go Tigers!) while everyone else roots for USC. In football, I pull for Clemson, but I can't talk badly about either school since I went to undergrad at Clemson and graduate school at USC. I'm a traitor all around!

Congrats on your upcoming Mouseketeer! Are you finding out if it's a boy or girl, or are you waiting for a surprise?!

Jumping in. Can't wait to hear more about your trip. :)
So excited to have you along, KelleyK! I can't wait to dive into the rest of the trip!

I'm eager to read more! Like you, when I found out I was having a daughter earlier this year, one of my first thoughts was - when can I take her to WDW for the first time?! She is 2.5 months now and I'm already working on my DH for a trip, but we're debating the "right age" for that. I'm looking forward to hearing how the trip went with your daughter!

Have any of you ever seen Music and Lyrics? It's got Drew Barrymore and Hugh Grant (who I totally lived around the corner from when I was studying abroad in London), and it follows the story of an 80s pop star who's now 40 and trying to keep his career from going down the toilet. It's awesome, and there's this song (and music video) in the movie called "Pop! Goes My Heart"--it's terribly catchy, and every time my sister and I watch the movie, the song gets stuck in our heads. Then, we go around for days singing it and doing the dance moves along with it.

Long story short: go see the movie if you haven't.

So, what does this have to do with Disney World? We were staying at Pop (goes my heart) Century!

It's been an old favorite of ours since it was built a decade or so ago. We were big fans of Port Orleans in the 90s, but when Disney built the value resorts, we switched over to those. Pop is my favorite since it has its own bus, but I ventured over to Art of Animation a few times, and it's really nice! (Possible digs for a future trip?!?!)

Anyway, on Saturday, December 6th, my husband and I got our daughter up and ready early--probably 6 AM. We live about 30 minutes from my parents and sister, and we had to meet them at 8 AM to start our trip.

We got up, we got dressed, and we got out of there...

Only to find that my dad still hadn't packed a stitch of clothing, and my mom was at the store buying snacks. So much for that 8 AM departure.

Two hours later, all six of us were in the cars and headed to Disney. Better late than never. Right?!

We stopped in the middle of Georgia for lunch, and then got right back on the road. With much cheering and clapping, we saw those glorious Disney signs welcoming us back, and we pulled into Pop Century a little after 5 PM.

As we bounded out of our cars, I couldn't contain my excitement. After 18 months of waiting for this moment, I was HERE! I didn't have the easiest pregnancy, labor and delivery, or postpartum experience, and sometimes, my Disney trip was the only thing that kept me going in the middle of the night when my baby daughter was up for the fourth time in five hours.

The weather was perfect, and the sun was setting over Century Hall as we headed in to get our rooms.

My husband and I are not selfie people usually, but I needed a picture of our Disney happiness!
wnj16oTPVUnHEqdKNj1NQJzHprWexGX-ET98LJTVALM=w722-h480-p-no

Here's everyone else after I physically stopped them from moving an inch more:
EGxNDlRc3ijwOM9iDc_LwK8kMneyD9J2XQmUkuPNeQk=w722-h480-p-no

And I couldn't go in without a picture of those gargantuan dates out front!
U7mZGkVD5vXzq8duoc619HBW8OBuphHQZcdkc_g4aCk=w685-h456-p-no

Once Landon pulled me away from picture taking, I headed into Century Hall. Oh, the Christmas decorations! November was kind of hectic for me, as we moved into a new house, and then I left to go on a trip for my travel blog; by the time I got home, it was Thanksgiving! Because of the craziness, we hadn't decorated for the holidays yet, and I was feeling like the Grinch. There's something about those Disney decorations to start a carol singing in your heart!
ZVPBTx53T-dpbnaIEh4Dec-_IEbKlRscvr_cQGtyv7c=w304-h456-p-no

As I checked in with my sister (who'd been in charge of organizing the trip for herself and our parents), we tried to make small talk with our Cast Member. This Cast Member had a name tag that said she'd gone to the University of South Carolina (where both my sister and I went for grad school), so we tried to talk with her about that. I won't go so far as to say she was rude, but this particular Cast Member was not in a chatty mood that afternoon. :confused3

My sister and I kept our heads up, as we were determined not to let anything small like that ruin our Disney vibe. My husband came to the rescue with matching pearl Mickey head BandIts for my sister, mom, and I--and Britton got a collection of Minnie heads. She flipped out and started screaming, "MINNIE!!" every time she caught sight of her Magic Band (which she insisted on wearing the entire vacation).

Next, we headed off to our rooms in the 70s building. We'd requested rooms away from the elevator but close together, and we ended up getting two rooms side by side and right next to the lake. We had a great view of the Cars section of Art of Animation!
1lJIgLVU_JDjf2od5v-i55LlqYFW5fGaMZ5wYAMzR5Q=w650-h432-p-no

We explored the rooms (all 100 square feet of them!) and unpacked our bags. I travel a lot for my blog, so when I go on longer trips, I like to get rid of the suitcases and live out of actual drawers for a while!
LGWqnj4NNmKwxup05aN0sVR6-oB2MhtBY424cGeAKrE=w289-h432-p-no

Britton had a grand time going back and forth between the rooms--they weren't connected, but we would leave the exterior doors open and let her walk and visit.
YH4QVupaLA6NLQ8EMOMC9BfFUTd78ZfFZc2TDOLCSII=w289-h432-p-no

Once we were settled in, we decided to head to Downtown Disney for dinner. I was hoping we could go to Rainforest Cafe, but I hadn't made reservations.

I know, I like living on the edge. :woohoo:

Stay tuned for the next installment! Will we get to eat at Rainforest Cafe? Will Britton like her first taste of Disney property?

I'm eager to read more! Like you, when I found out I was having a daughter earlier this year, one of my first thoughts was - when can I take her to WDW for the first time?! She is 2.5 months now and I'm already working on my DH for a trip, but we're debating the "right age" for that. I'm looking forward to hearing how the trip went with your daughter!

That is so awesome, Jrmint! Congrats on your little one!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who's thought about taking a wee one to Disney World--it's so much fun for kids of all ages. My husband and I thought about taking our daughter for her first birthday back in June, but everyone else that was going with us wanted to see the Christmas decorations (which, I'll admit, are amazing). I'm glad we held out for a little longer because the highlights of the trip included Britton dancing to the music and getting all excited to see her favorite characters.

I bet you'll pick just the right time for your daughter's first trip! :):yay:

Glad you guys made it safe! :))) Hoping you guys enjoyed RC. I've never eaten there! We've done TRex 3 times, Earl of Sandwich and Starbucks at DD!

I think we are going to find out this time. We didn't find out with Landen but being that we already have two boys, I feel like if it's another boy, I need to know. I want a girl SO bad but you get what you get. Lol! We are hoping to do a gender reveal in Feb at Disney!

Do yall live in Clemson still? Maybe I made that up? Lol

Oh and I feel you on the Disney trip being your focus through a difficult pregnancy. I have felt sooooo bad. Laying on the couch now, nauseated! Can't wait until February!

I am so excited about finding your trip report! I am currently where you were 19 months ago. We live in Anderson, so we aren't too far from you guys. I am almost eight months pregnant with our first baby and am trying so hard to not plan out the whole trip that we are taking in 2016 with my in-laws! Hopefully reading your report will give me a glimpse of what to expect when we take our Joseph for the first time. He should be around 18 months too.

Glad you guys made it safe! :))) Hoping you guys enjoyed RC. I've never eaten there! We've done TRex 3 times, Earl of Sandwich and Starbucks at DD!

I think we are going to find out this time. We didn't find out with Landen but being that we already have two boys, I feel like if it's another boy, I need to know. I want a girl SO bad but you get what you get. Lol! We are hoping to do a gender reveal in Feb at Disney!

Do yall live in Clemson still? Maybe I made that up? Lol

Oh and I feel you on the Disney trip being your focus through a difficult pregnancy. I have felt sooooo bad. Laying on the couch now, nauseated! Can't wait until February!

Can you believe that I've never eaten at Earl of Sandwich? I've heard SO many great things about it, but every time I go, there's always a crazy long line. I'm known for getting a little hangry when it's time to eat, so I usually skip the line and head somewhere else. One day!

So, Clemson! We don't live there, but my husband, my sister, and I all graduated from there. My mom went for two years, but then transferred to Francis Marion where she finished--it was to be closer to my dad after they got married. I've actually lived all over SC, thanks to my dad's job in banking. I was born in Charleston, moved to Florence, then Pendleton, then Seneca (and went to elementary school in Anderson), then moved back to Charleston for middle and high school. I spent the next eight years bouncing between Charleston, Clemson, Columbia, and London for undergrad/grad school/ study abroad. I finally moved back to Charleston (for good this time!) with my husband in 2010. My parents and sister live about 20 minutes from us, and I'm so glad my daughter gets to grow up near her family.

I really, REALLY hope you feel better before the little one arrives! I was nauseous for the first 20 weeks, then ended up in the hospital with a hideously bad stomach flu for a week, then had the worst heartburn ever. As a final treat before she arrived, I gained about 15 pounds in water weight and couldn't move my ankles because they were so swollen. MISERABLE!!

What a fun way to announce the gender! (Disney makes everything better!!) I can totally understand wanting a girl (they have SUCH cute clothes), but at least you don't have to buy anything new if it's a boy. Right?! :)

I am so excited about finding your trip report! I am currently where you were 19 months ago. We live in Anderson, so we aren't too far from you guys. I am almost eight months pregnant with our first baby and am trying so hard to not plan out the whole trip that we are taking in 2016 with my in-laws! Hopefully reading your report will give me a glimpse of what to expect when we take our Joseph for the first time. He should be around 18 months too.

Oh my gosh! Congrats! I love having all of these Disney babies and parents on here! I was right there with you, planning the entire trip before my daughter was even born. I remember being super pregnant and reading the TR where other people had taken their toddlers and just weeping with excitement. Don't you love pregnancy hormones!?!

Let me know if you've got toddler Disney questions--I ended up doing a bunch of things differently this time around to work around Britton's schedule.

BTW, LOVE the name! Joseph is so cute!

That's awesome that you live in Anderson! My husband's parents still live there--we just got back from visiting them for the holidays. :) I went to school at Clemson, so I can remember going into Anderson to see a movie very fondly! popcorn::

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter