The future of the Disney Store - a big mistake? What went wrong for the Disney Stores?

When Disney Stores were launched in 1987 they were geared to everyone and sold everything Disney without ever going to the theme parks but I think when they were starting to go downhill was when they changed their image and became a kids store with mostly toys and that was different than the family image that they originally had. But I think the main reason why Disney Stores and toy stores are dying is that if you look at the general picture nobody is really buying toys for kids anymore and the only time kids really get toys is during Christmas and birthdays and sometimes toys are used for children as rewards for good behavior and so even though toy companies still make toys nobody rarely buys toys that much. But had Disney Stores had partnered with Macy's as Toys "R" Us did rather than with Target it would've saved them and kept them alive. But unlike TRU Disney Stores didn't create much spin-off stores like TRU did with many chains in the "R" Us series of stores like Babies "R" Us and the Kids "R" Us clothing store chain and that caused TRU's actual demise in my opinion. But I think Disney Stores will be revived but this time in a Big Lots type of store where you can get closeouts on Disney merchandise. But I do wish a Disney Shopping channel would be made for TV because it would be like QVC but of Disney. But I can bet that toy stores will return especially toy supermarkets and superstores too

I wouldn't go as far to say people don't buy toys as much for kids but its more this new culture of growing kids up so much faster. The preteen years that use to start around 7th grade maybe 6th and starting by 4th grade for many. My daughter is 8 and she is full blown kid and I love it and encourage it but I know so many with kids just 9/10 yos old that claim they are too old for toys or their parents say it and walk around trying to act like 7th grades very awkwardly. It is also getting so hard to find the cute kids clothes to go past size 10 for this reason, even disney has cut out size 11/12 on many costumes even though kids can wear them to park to age 12 not many of them still fit fit in the 9/10.

I think internet is also part of the issue, it takes just mins to search and realize you might be able to get the same thing or something very similar for much less or to know when is the best time to buy with all the groups/pages/blogs that hunt and track deals.

I really don't see dedicated toy stores coming back at all. The few speciality ones in popular destinations may stay but with the ease of online order for the busy family its just easier to order and many don't like taking their kids to the stores as is.

the same reasons as to why Toys R Us eventually collapsed

Toys R Us was slow to react to a change market but the truth is that hedge funds and private equity firms destroyed Toys R Us as a company. It had nothing to do with their business model of selling toys only because in their last few years their financial picture was turning around. But the company was suffocating under debt loads from leveraged buyouts by the aforementioned firms.

How vulture capitalists ate Toys 'R' Us | The Week

Toys R Us was slow to react to a change market but the truth is that hedge funds and private equity firms destroyed Toys R Us as a company. It had nothing to do with their business model of selling toys only because in their last few years their financial picture was turning around. But the company was suffocating under debt loads from leveraged buyouts by the aforementioned firms.

This! And many companies suffered the same issue.

I think this is just a symptom of the shift in how most people like to shop now. Online shopping is so much more convenient when you're trying to balance work/kids/other responsibilities, and stores can offer so much more inventory online than they can in a storefront. Most families I know had shifted to primarily online shopping in the last few years, and that was cemented during the pandemic. 8-10 years ago, we would go to at least a couple of storefronts weekly. Now, it's almost never. We legitimately buy almost everything online: groceries, clothes, gifts. We even just bought my daughter's Homecoming dress, my son's Homecoming suit, AND a mattress online lol. I run my business from home online and almost never meet face-to-face with clients because most of my clients PREFER it that way. Lots of other busy families are in the same boat. I don't think there was anything WRONG with the Disney Store ~ it's just having to change with the times like so many other businesses.

I used to frequently visit the Disney store in my area, smithaven mall, to add to my collection of memorabilia. For the longest time i was able to leave the store with at least one item but as time wore on i felt the stores were becoming outlet stores. Never mind the lack of collectibles and snow globes but the shift away from adult shoppers overcame the store. If you were a male going into the stores you definitly were out of luck. If an adult walks into a Disney store with buying for a younger person and they see an item that appeals to therm I’m pretty sure 2 purchases will be made

When Disney Stores were launched in 1987 they were geared to everyone and sold everything Disney without ever going to the theme parks but I think when they were starting to go downhill was when they changed their image and became a kids store with mostly toys and that was different than the family image that they originally had. But I think the main reason why Disney Stores and toy stores are dying is that if you look at the general picture nobody is really buying toys for kids anymore and the only time kids really get toys is during Christmas and birthdays and sometimes toys are used for children as rewards for good behavior and so even though toy companies still make toys nobody rarely buys toys that much. But had Disney Stores had partnered with Macy's as Toys "R" Us did rather than with Target it would've saved them and kept them alive. But unlike TRU Disney Stores didn't create much spin-off stores like TRU did with many chains in the "R" Us series of stores like Babies "R" Us and the Kids "R" Us clothing store chain and that caused TRU's actual demise in my opinion. But I think Disney Stores will be revived but this time in a Big Lots type of store where you can get closeouts on Disney merchandise. But I do wish a Disney Shopping channel would be made for TV because it would be like QVC but of Disney. But I can bet that toy stores will return especially toy supermarkets and superstores too
The issue is that concessions only work if they have a broad range of merch that targets all demographics (ie. a return to the broad church the Disney Stores once were) and also offers an experience, or they're doomed to fail. The amount of feedback regarding the Target concessions makes me think that Disney still missed the mark on that, and if they're to be a suitable replacement, then they need to double down on the merch and not make them just mere overglorified toy sections. However, I still think that the Disney Store would still work if only they learned from Lego as to how to maintain a physical presence without going down the vicious cycle of 'dumbing down'.
It is simply too easy to order online. They are following all the others before them that have reduced their volume of Brick and Mortar or have completely gone under.
I remember when the Disney stores first opened. That was truly a great store and then they went completely kids and toys with few exceptions. Although I always loved stopping into my Disney Outlet, I felt it was going down slowly for quite some time.
Not just that, but I also noticed that since they started to no longer dish out free bags and force guests to purchase reusable bags at what I personally think is a sky high fee (or either lug around empty bags before making a purchase or carry the items out bagless), it was going to have the effect of driving guests to shopping online, especially with the free shipping after spending a certain amount perk. Who's going to want to spend over $70 and then be forced to purchase the largest reusable at $5+sales tax for the sake of convenience? The 'going green' thing was controversial from the beginning, and my concerns about the negative effects since it was implemented has definitely come home to roost. Not to mention that the proliferation of confusing, non-standard and often-complex legislation regulating shopping bags - plastic and/or paper - is also feeding into the decline of physical retail, as that's an additional overhead for arguably little benefit, even if advocates think that it'll improve the environment, despite studies that suggest the replacements for lightweight plastic bags would backfire on the environment, lifecycle-wise, and recommend reusing existing bags instead.

The issue is that concessions only work if they have a broad range of merch that targets all demographics (ie. a return to the broad church the Disney Stores once were) and also offers an experience, or they're doomed to fail. The amount of feedback regarding the Target concessions makes me think that Disney still missed the mark on that, and if they're to be a suitable replacement, then they need to double down on the merch and not make them just mere overglorified toy sections. However, I still think that the Disney Store would still work if only they learned from Lego as to how to maintain a physical presence without going down the vicious cycle of 'dumbing down'.

Lego has far fewer stores than there were Disney stores. They are primarily in malls that attract tourists/places people take visiting friends/family. We have a lego store near us and its never every busy, I honestly will be shocked if it lasts long at all.

We’ve got 1 Disney Store left in our state, it’s in an outlet mall that stays very busy. What I’m wondering is what merchandise will these remaining stores sell? I wouldn’t think there are enough DS left to warrant Disney marketing exclusive Disney Store branded merchandise. I wonder if these remaining stores might start selling parks merchandise now?

Last edited:

bingo. not to get political, but Mitt Romney and Bain capital are why Toys R Us isnt around anymore.

Every single time we went in their stores, they were jam packed. its not like they weren't selling toys, they were doomed from the time Bain Capital bought them.

bingo. not to get political, but Mitt Romney and Bain capital are why Toys R Us isnt around anymore.

Every single time we went in their stores, they were jam packed. its not like they weren't selling toys, they were doomed from the time Bain Capital bought them.

Bain was also why Gymboree went out of business and others and drastically hurt many others that are still trying to survive.

Theme restaurants used to make a significant % of profits from gift store sales. Disney stores used to stock a lot more collectibles and adult clothing.

Kids wear out their clothing. Outgrow their clothing. Adults are much less likely to wear out clothing and don't outgrow their clothing as fast as kids. How many snowglobes do you want in your house. How many Mickey T shirts does a typical adult want. For many the answer is zero. Posters on Disney fan sites lots. Regular people have long since bough "enough" Disney stuff.

Originally Disney stores were a place to purchase theme park tickets, some locations book vacations and buy videos. All 3 are basically done.

Lego has far fewer stores than there were Disney stores. They are primarily in malls that attract tourists/places people take visiting friends/family. We have a lego store near us and its never every busy, I honestly will be shocked if it lasts long at all.
All the Lego Stores near me are always busy, but then again, London is a tourist magnet, and that's why Oxford Street is guaranteed safe.

Kids wear out their clothing. Outgrow their clothing. Adults are much less likely to wear out clothing and don't outgrow their clothing as fast as kids.

I have a Mickey polo shirt I bought at the Character Warehouse in the early 00's. Still wear it 15 years later? Paid top dollar, like $75 and it was worth every penny. But no replacements, and that speaks directly to support of Lewisc post above.

I have a Mickey polo shirt I bought at the Character Warehouse in the early 00's. Still wear it 15 years later? Paid top dollar, like $75 and it was worth every penny. But no replacements, and that speaks directly to support of Lewisc post above.
I have so many tees from the Disney Store I bought in the past half-decade or so, and noticed inconsistencies with quality. The polycotton ones suffered the most downgrading, while the pure cotton ones have lasted a lot longer. Disney needs to bring back not only the broader range of adult clothing, but also make them to a much higher standard and with responsible cotton sourcing for better sustainability.

I have so many tees from the Disney Store I bought in the past half-decade or so, and noticed inconsistencies with quality. The polycotton ones suffered the most downgrading, while the pure cotton ones have lasted a lot longer. Disney needs to bring back not only the broader range of adult clothing, but also make them to a much higher standard and with responsible cotton sourcing for better sustainability.

And better screen printing!

i stopped buying disney t shirts at disney stores and theme parks, because they dont last.

I personally can't put my finger on why they've closed pretty much all the UK Stores. Are people really buying their plushes and t-shirts on Shop Disney? I think it was more a case of store rent and staff costs that they decided that they would rather not have the outgoings.

What I also think hurt Disney Stores was because ever since they merged with The Children's Place was that they were going to attract children and since they had the merge with The Children's Place already in their hands they knew that that this would be a new image and that was to sell toys to attract children and take them far from the family image they originally had. What I found shocking is that every time they would have the Tink's Treasure Of The Day sales it was never clothing or home decor on sale but toys like dolls playsets and plushies and if Disney Stores were smart they could've had a variety of items on sale not just toys. But since Disney brought Marvel I would be surprised if they converted the old Disney Stores into Marvel Stores and sell everything Marvel in them and since Disney Stores sold Marvel merchandise this idea could work well. But like the toy store chains TRU Child World/Children's Palace KB Toys and other stores Disney Stores could not handle the competition very well and since you can find almost anything Disney in stores like Target Walmart Fred Mayer Costco Kohl's and Big Lots Disney Stores are simply a thing of nostalgia for Disney fans young and old

Children's Place owned Disney Stores from 2004 to 2008. In other words the brief ownership by Children's Place more then a decade ago has nothing to do with Disney decision to close the stores

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter