The Final Frontier (An Alaska Trip Report - UPDATED 4/25)

"Rest" is most assuredly a relative term. I suspect you know that better than me!
I dunno. Don't have any relatives named that.
And if your writing is more Simpsons than Shakespeare, I would have to say I'm standing there with you. Although the Simpsons have some excellent writing themselves!
Wait... do we get to pick whose writing we want to have? Can I pick Ian Fleming? (I'm sticking to British writers... for brevity.)
Ooh, this sounds like a good story.
The road we drove on to get up north was... barely a road. No guardrails, gravel, washboard-like, potholes.
I did all the driving except for two instances. Once when DW had to be evacuated and I had to stay (as essential service), she drove out. The other time, we had a new (to us) car and we drove both cars up. Unfortunately, the road was really bad with icy conditions. We were taking it relatively slowly, with me leading and flashing my brakes every time I hit a particularly bad spot (more icy or pot hole-y.)
I hit a really bad hole and flashed my brake lights more than before and then crested a small hill. I watched in my rear-view mirror... and she didn't appear. I stopped and waited, thinking she was just taking it really slowly and would show up soon. I think I counted to 10 and then turned around and went back. When I re-crested the hill, I saw her standing in the roadway. The car had both spun 180 degrees (now facing south-ish) and was upside down with it's nose submerged in the water-filled ditch. She had hit the hole, had the wheel jerked to the left, overcompensated (a very common occurrence) and spun and flipped into the ditch. She was knocked briefly unconscious and came to hanging upside down from the seatbelt. She crawled out of the car through the blown out back window, cutting her hands in the process. We got to the town and the hospital about 2 hours later where... northern health care... they didn't even check her over other than to hand her some bandaids for her hands. It was about a month and a half later, when we went back south that she got an x-ray that showed she'd had a skull fracture too.
I knew it! These kids are slowly killing me.
That's how they get their inheritance faster... before you can spend it all. It's a race.
I was talking with a friend about this, and we tried to come up with some rules for fandom. Basically, if you have a local professional sports team, that's your team. It's traitorous to cheer for a team other than your hometown's team. The exceptions are:

1. You live in a region with no local team. Then you get to choose.
2. Your father/mother or both parents are die-hard fans of a team and raised you that way, so you never had a choice in the matter.
Sweet. I get to choose! Can I choose a different team every year, depending on who's most likely to win the Superbowl??
3. Your local team is egregiously inept (i.e. decades of losing) or hires someone in a prominent position who is an irredeemably awful human being. Then you are freed from your obligations for that team.
I suspect you might be referring to a particular team... :rolleyes1
I don't think da Bears have as many bandwagon fans as Dallas. But then again, they never declared themselves "America's Team", either.
I think you're right... on both points.
If you think about it, we as parents basically kidnap our kids and force them to go on all these trips. It's not like they really have a choice in the matter.
::yes::
Makes total sense. Who knows where the virus will go when you add it to a jet engine?
It goes Supersonic. That's where it goes.
Ah, gotcha. So it's probably affected by the tides and phases of the moon as well.
Well d'uh! (as opposed to d'oh)
I'm just killing time till the food lady comes out, anyway.
Exactly. You're not suggesting this is completely arbitrary, are you?
Who. Me?
Wouldn't dream of it.
I can't believe I would ever lose a lottery.
Well... you didn't. You won the 30% one. ;)
Every once in a while, a blind squirrel finds a nut.
As long as it's not heading up my pants leg when it does.
I had read about the 30% statistic ahead of time, so I just wanted to maximize our chances. I figured this would give us 3 days in a row to see the mountain: our bus tour, then the arrival at the lodge, and then the morning after. But of course, when we saw it was clear on our first day, we took off for the viewpoint anyway, knowing it might not be that clear again for the rest of the week. Turns out we were right!
:thumbsup2

Sounds like you took the best route for your family. Knowing Fran we would end up paying the small fortune to a tour company so that she could ensure they would be able to accommodate her scooter.

The price difference was pretty huge, especially for 6. It really does change everything to have to think about the scooter and accessibility, though.

Yikes! 66 miles each way, that sounds pretty harrowing!

I never felt like we were in danger. It just made for a long day.

Yeah, I'm not sure you want to hear someone yammering on and on while you're trying to look out for wildlife.

I liked our driver. She had a lot of interesting facts about the park and wildlife, and was keeping an eye out to help us spot animals, too.

Definitely gorgeous!

What strikes me about this photo is just how tall your boys are now!

It's pretty insane how fast that happened. I can't play basketball against them anymore.

Looks pretty cool, and definitely far in there!

I wish we could have explored the inside more.

I see that as a stretch for you only because it's a fancy French sort of meal, except when it's a fancy French meal the steak is tender and yummy. not tough. Glad the dessert was redeeming.

I always figured they called them "frites" so they could charge an extra $3 for the same french fries. Hate to have a disappointing steak, though.

Except if you're going to Ventura.... :rolleyes1 Then again there is a boat ride involved.

I feel like that one is pretty remote. I don't think a lot of people get to the Channel Islands.

I don't know how you all keep up the pace. I suppose your everyday life it pretty hectic so vacations aren't too hard to keep up the pace.

I usually wake up in the 6AM hour, but I don't get upright until around 7AM and then I sit in bed playing tablet games until 9AM or later before I get up to feed the cats and make coffee....

We're used to running around somewhere. It feels like there's always an obligation on the calendar. We do appreciate the Christmas season when things start to wind down for a bit. It's a nice break.

No kids, and the cats have given up on trying to get us to feed them, so see above comment.

Did you train the cats to hunt in the back yard?

Looks nice!

Not too shabby at all.

i'm glad you at least enjoyed this dinner!

Yay! I'm caught up here.

I think a pretzel roll is one of those things that makes everything better. It certainly works on sandwiches.

So we slept in all the way till, I dunno, 7 a.m.

I mean, you are on vacation. Why not?
I don’t know when exactly you lose that ability, but I think it’s somewhere between the 79th and 127th iterations of your little kid bursting into your room at 6 a.m. on a Saturday to demand your passcode so they can play unsupervised games on the iPad.

Clearly you need an on-call job so the sleep patterns are completely unpredictable again.

(Yes, I know what they say about having to explain a joke. Shut up.)

Some of us are dense enough that we need the explanations and we still think it's funny.
I don’t think the guy spit in it.
But you'll never know.

The visitor center looked like a neat building. Too bad we weren’t allowed inside.

Would you have been less spaced out if you'd been allowed in.

Thought so.

But in 2020, the entire area was closed to visitors completely due to the pandemic. I’d hoped we would get to visit in 2021, and…was mostly right. The kennel was open, but they were not holding any demonstrations because apparently COVID spreads faster when dogs are actively running or pulling a sled. I dunno.

I was going to insert some snarky Covid nonsense joking here (emphasis on snark), but... you're doing so well.

But we couldn’t turn around and go backwards due to the pandemic, because COVID spreads more easily if you walk counter-clockwise.

You know, you're really taking all the fun out of this.

AM-JKLX-2RFiAhPAYXdpZEgabTltoKXYFktnIy5Aw22-9_ZwydV9Qm8UW125MpWOW2E-Pc4RFdxxBn8zghyFruBycPvfpeokGVD8aqYyIbxWLN2Jom-UNw-j285Ge_1euuaA6bO0q_n9Wsni-lDEqCsvWXVByg=w1168-h877-no

I am always afraid this is my new permanent look and people will see it at work.

but somehow we lucked into a table for 6 just as another large group was leaving at the Denali Brewpub.

Crisis averted!!
Except at the end, when we tried to order another peanut butter pie and were told they were out.
...Oops, NM. We're still in crisis mode here.
The road we drove on to get up north was... barely a road. No guardrails, gravel, washboard-like, potholes.
I did all the driving except for two instances. Once when DW had to be evacuated and I had to stay (as essential service), she drove out. The other time, we had a new (to us) car and we drove both cars up. Unfortunately, the road was really bad with icy conditions. We were taking it relatively slowly, with me leading and flashing my brakes every time I hit a particularly bad spot (more icy or pot hole-y.)
I hit a really bad hole and flashed my brake lights more than before and then crested a small hill. I watched in my rear-view mirror... and she didn't appear. I stopped and waited, thinking she was just taking it really slowly and would show up soon. I think I counted to 10 and then turned around and went back. When I re-crested the hill, I saw her standing in the roadway. The car had both spun 180 degrees (now facing south-ish) and was upside down with it's nose submerged in the water-filled ditch. She had hit the hole, had the wheel jerked to the left, overcompensated (a very common occurrence) and spun and flipped into the ditch. She was knocked briefly unconscious and came to hanging upside down from the seatbelt. She crawled out of the car through the blown out back window, cutting her hands in the process. We got to the town and the hospital about 2 hours later where... northern health care... they didn't even check her over other than to hand her some bandaids for her hands. It was about a month and a half later, when we went back south that she got an x-ray that showed she'd had a skull fracture too.
:scared::scared::scared::scared:

I mean... I think it'd be common practice to to a head-to-toe. Even with a simple fall we always ask..."Why?"

Sorry for just jumping in on the sports fan thing, but I really don't think there are any bandwagon Chicago Bears fans (at least, not since the Superbowl Shuffle era, maybe). My dad's general take on Chicago sports teams was how talented they were at "snatching defeat from the jaws of victory." (Other than Michael Jordan era Bulls, of course) I'm pretty sure most Bears fans in other states are transplants from Illinois!

I dunno. Don't have any relatives named that.

Not even a nickname? Work with me here.

Wait... do we get to pick whose writing we want to have? Can I pick Ian Fleming? (I'm sticking to British writers... for brevity.)

Too many good ones out there to pick just one.

Holy cow! That trip back over the hill must have been scary. I'm so glad she was ok. A skull fracture is no joke.

That's how they get their inheritance faster... before you can spend it all. It's a race.

It's what we've always suspected, but never been able to prove.

Sweet. I get to choose! Can I choose a different team every year, depending on who's most likely to win the Superbowl??

Sure, but you're not immune to the consequences of bandwagon-jumping.

I suspect you might be referring to a particular team... :rolleyes1

I'll never tell.

But Washington's owner is a pretty terrible dude.

I think you're right... on both points.

Hey, I was right! I need to print this out and show it to my wife.

It goes Supersonic. That's where it goes.

Well d'uh! (as opposed to d'oh)

D'oh! A deer! A female deer.

Who. Me?
Wouldn't dream of it.

:rolleyes1

Well... you didn't. You won the 30% one. ;)

Thank goodness. It was expensive getting out there.

As long as it's not heading up my pants leg when it does.

Excellent point!

Well, I'm here... haven't got through everything yet, but I had enough time to read up to the point that your feet touched Alaska soil and Drew's head touched an Alaska table.

But holy crap... take some time away from Dis for a while and all of a sudden your kids are... young adults. :eek: :faint:

Not even a nickname? Work with me here.
I had an uncle who owned a restaurant for a bit... that count?
Too many good ones out there to pick just one.
But I like the sound of ponz... pkondz.
Holy cow! That trip back over the hill must have been scary. I'm so glad she was ok. A skull fracture is no joke.
Was not a very good day.
Sure, but you're not immune to the consequences of bandwagon-jumping.
Now you're just nitpicking.
Hey, I was right! I need to print this out and show it to my wife.
Well, ya know... even a stopped clock........

I mean, you are on vacation. Why not?

We're just wild and crazy people around here.

Clearly you need an on-call job so the sleep patterns are completely unpredictable again.

I have some people on my staff who have on-call jobs, and...they don't pay those people enough.

Some of us are dense enough that we need the explanations and we still think it's funny.

Well, thank goodness for that.

But you'll never know.

True. I was trying to keep an eye on him though.

Would you have been less spaced out if you'd been allowed in.

Thought so.

Who can say? It was fairly crowded, but I imagine we'd mostly have kept to ourselves anyway. My feeling was that the numbers weren't nearly as high over the summer and we were all vaccinated, so I would have felt comfortable going inside.

I was going to insert some snarky Covid nonsense joking here (emphasis on snark), but... you're doing so well.

I have to be careful, because I do believe the virus is serious and am supportive of vaccines and proper health measures and get annoyed when people won't take the slightest inconvenience for themselves in order to make others safer. But some of the restrictions just feel so arbitrary or are obviously governed more by politics/economics.

You know, you're really taking all the fun out of this.

Hey, it's what I do.

I am always afraid this is my new permanent look and people will see it at work.

At least people know where you stand.

..Oops, NM. We're still in crisis mode here.

I didn't think it would be so hard to get a peanut butter pie.

Sorry for just jumping in on the sports fan thing, but I really don't think there are any bandwagon Chicago Bears fans (at least, not since the Superbowl Shuffle era, maybe). My dad's general take on Chicago sports teams was how talented they were at "snatching defeat from the jaws of victory." (Other than Michael Jordan era Bulls, of course) I'm pretty sure most Bears fans in other states are transplants from Illinois!

I'd agree. I think most Bears fans that I know tend to be from the Chicago area (or their parents are from there).

Well, I'm here... haven't got through everything yet, but I had enough time to read up to the point that your feet touched Alaska soil and Drew's head touched an Alaska table.

:welcome: Andy! It's great to have you back on the boards. We'll see if I'm still saying that after you make fun of my TR.

But holy crap... take some time away from Dis for a while and all of a sudden your kids are... young adults. :eek: :faint:

So...yeah. Scotty happened again. And so did the rest of them. I'm old, dude.

I had an uncle who owned a restaurant for a bit... that count?

I'd say you can rest your case.

But I like the sound of ponz... pkondz.

I have to give you that one. It totally works.

Was not a very good day.

Understatement of the year!

Now you're just nitpicking.

Hey, I don't make the rules.

Well, ya know... even a stopped clock........

Story of my life!

Chapter 9: The Many Seasons of a Day in Alaska

Wednesday, July 7 was a transition day for us. We didn’t have anything huge on the agenda—we just needed to make sure we ended up in the town of Seward by the end of the day. This was about a 4.5 hour drive from Talkeetna, so it wasn’t necessary for us to be in a great hurry.

Job #1: Find something for breakfast. By this time, we’d been subsisting on Pop Tarts for breakfast (if the hotel wasn’t providing anything) and PB&J sandwiches for lunch for an entire week, and we all needed a break. I did a quick Google search of Talkeetna to see if there were any coffee shops serving pastries or breakfast sandwiches where we could have a little morning treat. As luck would have it, we found the Flying Squirrel Bakery and Café on the spur road leading into town.

AM-JKLWIe_MclmQpat8DIIBeSqqy1h2YhyfoloRPd_0zOX91I92q_00-jG-4RYW_13uVDUgy21CNWl7X33q9p-CtNN7id_fRS2hmsQE8krToIzmXpLkwwKnh0iG6uoP4ShqwNr2mF_CmkxxAOuNWECuyy59dRg=w1171-h878-no

This was a little mom-and-pop shop serving all sorts of overpriced coffee drinks (just like Starbucks, only with better coffee) and homemade pastries. It was pricy, but in this case we were willing to spend in order to avoid Pop Tarts again.

Don’t these look better than a Pop Tart?

AM-JKLWEWQPm6HdTV2h7JfMKclP4-lIucsRCIbLtsljdLhV8okDfnoBWqP2ACexUUNPJ_Q-l6JZxhXFbD5ufjKyOgM9LtEvMBbhp73fMjLoksF7JYMoceFgjyu8zDZBlysjufDqbz4P4Z8zr832In681dJBjvA=w1171-h878-no

After careful consideration, I asked about the chocolate-almond croissants. I don’t care for almonds, but I figured if they were just crusted on the outside, I could brush them off and be left with an ooey, gooey, flaky chocolate-filled croissant, which would be right up my alley. And man, did they look good.

Everyone got their treats and coffee and we piled back into the van to start the drive south. I bit into my chocolate, croissant, newly freed from its almond cocoon.

It tasted of disappointment and sadness.

AM-JKLVTN00OuVUWf9uIE-Fj28B3OBVtNfojSwISCKYdKC1Nzsm3jE6nIhjWGpvDqBdM-nLbBDeNjsVS7DeIbwPeZo_XOtfAJOAMMDI-TCUiWcManitY5GZ-hz6hJ5EphxMouaR089FxSlSuTg4-pY-lMnCd0Q=w1171-h878-no

I don’t know about you, but I like to have some chocolate in my chocolate croissants. Is that just me?

This was just a hunk of bread. Once again, I was victimized by Alaskan False Menu Advertising, which feels like it should be a felony.

We meandered our way down to Anchorage and did better with our lunch stop, mostly because we banked on a sure thing. Since we’d liked Moose’s Tooth Pizza so much the first time around, we called in an order for a couple of pies and picked them up for lunch. This was a resounding success, especially if you judge a success as “better than a PB&J sandwich”.

AM-JKLVtxlrRWAGAhwqTsk6arBRLXtXkUn3eqGLYuZoGfYiulLf2Xr5mNxNKti27AQHKBYsgwS7siJHjsAOHu-SJFlKJuptay6r1O7kBbH_faytcjjxbAPu047H5Hr-RlU-M-F0si7xF_MPzqGG0bCETtdQ52A=w1171-h878-no

We also got another slice of their peanut butter pie to share, which was a bit of a challenge in the van, but we managed to pull through. When it comes to eating pie, we don’t give up easily.

To this point, it had been overcast with mild temperatures. The afternoon’s drive would take us south of Anchorage around a fjord known as Turnagain Arm on state route 1, which is generally known as one of the most scenic drives in the state. The road hugs the coast and goes around the entire inlet, providing mile after mile of water views with a mountain backdrop.

Naturally, this was when the rain and fog moved in.

Now, I really can’t complain. This was the only heavy period of rain we experienced during our entire Alaska vacation, which really is a minor miracle when you consider how things could have gone. But it was a bit disappointing not to be able to enjoy this drive in all its beauty. Most of the clouds were hanging low and covering the mountains, so we only got glimpses here and there. We stopped at an overlook or two, but the temperature had dropped and the winds were up along the water, so we needed to put on our sweatshirts and didn’t stay out very long.

Here is one of the better views we got along the way:

AM-JKLVMONSs3aKwOwkOvUPuONcXHf0aEB5g1_DxcZbtgLIGP9K6__j8qSuNs0C2-ExT-yOu-mLPZ_938Mh5AobvgsNoFfisQ5137qDooKoAqwlj_UoQ6CXMjLvinFqV-G5KsMGdoYWDvgamxhwGPX-l9RYGAQ=w1545-h870-no

Turnagain Arm is very shallow and affected greatly by the tides. It’s one of the locations in the world where you can witness a bore tide rolling in if you happen to be there at the right time (sadly, we did not).

We continued south, turning away from the inlet and driving up and over several mountain passes. The rest of the family was extremely impressed with the way I made use of the passing lanes when they were available to get around slow-moving vehicles.

pedal.gif

In mid-afternoon, we reached the limits of the town of Seward, which is located on the southern coast of Alaska, at the mouth of Resurrection Bay, which leads to the Pacific Ocean.

We made a right turn just at the edge of town and drove about 8-10 miles west, where we found our fourth national park of the trip: Kenai Fjords National Park.

AM-JKLX6JhSvei_XHUnK4PKNQ1ivbJLxQgElpSQ1RXEbjdZu_Bu12I5V9ToUKh249a3t70Vd6XznCBBVXXEF8DDf-m1V2TQrP2euT12rwkJ0Za6PsrSHjJ191fRGp1Skt2eODiLmV46h8zobif07bhxeSJHmRg=w1317-h878-no

This is the Exit Glacier area, which is the only portion of the park that is reachable by automobile. There’s a visitor center and a short uphill hike, about a mile, up to a viewpoint of the glacier.

By this time of the day, the rain had completely moved on and it was sunny outside. Not only that, but it was considerably warmer. We lost the sweatshirts in a hurry.

The glacier flows down from the Harding Icefield, but it has been in retreat for decades. When we started our hike up the hill, we noticed that every so often there would be a sign posted next to the trail with a number on it, like “1859” or “1912”, and so on. Eventually we realized that these were marking the location of the end of the glacier in that particular year.

Not only were the temperatures much warmer here, but we had to hike through a forested area. The trees blocked most of the wind, so this had the effect of making it feel even hotter. It was hard to believe we’d been scrambling for sweatshirts earlier in the afternoon. The lack of wind also made this the one and only time when the famous mosquitoes and other bugs of Alaska became a problem. It wasn’t unbearable, but it was definitely a nuisance.

Once we broke through the treeline, the breezes returned and all was well again. The glacier, while still impressive, had retreated far up the mountain.

AM-JKLWfnfCqOujzrtSFH1A3XAnbPUqTKGpcLRiHtr3S6MbsLXZmUrF_YIVxej1TemjTQw5lpw81Q43Uly6L10cfb5KepDsuJmoYjClQDREsKW6Q3QwS5C_g1xo3jpyFTlR40oCHxclnKhBTm6_V5YEUI9-4rw=w1171-h878-no

It’s sobering when you look at the historical markers.

AM-JKLUQnWTDjbNbeZlyBas5aGGhNIrLgP3i1M2_FdXwXn59lBZvw0S3zhvcSEQusMxi93nCQVGox1P4AOZg2ohrVA0rAbyZnqdbLtgMsAPaxPEnS4k2ejXPr18yUpHP62R2snOJz8V6oaSkqFcgayyY3x0pHQ=w1317-h878-no

You know what’s really sobering? Finding out you missed out on seeing Bigfoot.

AM-JKLW5yaq73QP0j2kOvqlhO1iJNEOT28aDCQRM9AkI9OwRPKmxIYeFiZqA_4AFsl_OIMLnsltbuxtCSrW23UUbxkvdqHpraXHp6quyvI1VvoeBPRH3xpqK7YnT7ibq4rlBe6kUV5sZwsEzrgpV6-cpJjaV-A=w659-h878-no

Dinner turned out to be a bit of an adventure. The night before, I’d looked up the place I had originally planned to check out: the Seward Brewing Company. Having been burned by modified schedules and COVID staffing issues, I didn’t want to be caught again. And, wouldn’t you know it—their website announced they were closed on Wednesdays. Just our luck.

This caused a mad scramble to see what other places were a) available and b) open, and the pickings were slim. My first alternate was also closed on Wednesdays. We called the restaurant at our hotel, and they were completely full up with reservations (although they did promise to make accommodations for us since we were guests at the hotel, which was nice). We ended up driving into town without a solid plan. In the time it took to drive into town, it became overcast, rainy and cold again. The sweatshirts and jackets went back on.

As we neared the edge of the harbor, we were stopped by a man directing traffic. There were barricades along some of the streets, and suddenly I was unsure of where to go or what was going on. I rolled down my window and asked if I could continue on into town. He said yes, but I had to wait for some runners to pass.

It was marathon day in Seward.

Mount Marathon, to be exact. And it’s actually a 5K race.

See the mountain on the left side of this photo? That’s Mount Marathon.

AM-JKLUD1zRbmlgC9XH9fC3ABk2gOXZHPwc3WHnqW2v2-qUsRnhL2-qNb5vK_igKV526RrERVHp3rmxNDgMD3YXlpdIj7JzcLg675bBv5pUFzIL33jEi8vREaaD1ip2SHIXzkuSGib1tsT-2eWRlKlp3CbDGNQ=w1171-h878-no

As legend would have it, one day two local residents were having a…shall we say, spirited discussion over beer. Or perhaps several beers. Drunken Fool #1 declared that he thought it was possible to climb up and back down the mountain (3,022 ft in elevation, or 0.92 km) in one hour. Drunken Fool #2 said he was nuts. So they placed a wager on it, and Drunken Fool #1 was the loser, as according to my hasty internet research the first runner took one hour and 2 minutes.

The race has become more of an organized affair since then, and the record was set in 2013 by a man named Eric Strabel with a time of 42 minutes, 55 seconds.

mount_marathon_race_map.jpg
(Map from alaskatrekker.com)

We had no idea this would be happening, so we did the best we could to avoid driving on the race course and managed to find a parking space downtown. Immediately, we found a key benefit to being there on race day: the Seward Brewing Company was actually open for business. I guess they figured the race would bring enough people downtown that it would be worth opening up on a Wednesday (I believe they swapped out another day on the schedule). Remember, this was before cruises were running again, so a large portion of Seward’s business was still unavailable as of this point in time.

We gave our name to the receptionist and were told it was a 45-minute wait for a table. Not great, but it was better than trying to find something from a hotel vending machine. When it comes to vending machines, you and I both know that Dinty Moore beef stew has been in there for 4 years now.

We wandered the town for a bit down by the waterfront, and found the old train station (now a café)…

AM-JKLWAae62wSmQyz7XwcDRIRZQM_r1JyV7DEu7bMkli1MAs4xyqv-Ig5Fg5FBNt2nklEzTWMVYU9geCDpVdLhDAKxzcUR2xxV2gnwX5_sbwMZCJ99cSH-BTXcAMHxkDvZS1rC0wN37cLDR1lOOBU0q2mLnww=w1171-h878-no

…and the Alaska Sea Life Center, which is a local aquarium/science center that cares for rescued marine life.

AM-JKLWfIrRbQdIGqMG5JFJrkooJKrdDzqCDNKndsM9TapNiWiS-F65H2ADtV48IUHcyzf1JcnXoH3ameQwriXXs3o-ZTiwOnZnKgginP7OMeIvAZNQwN_41glrMSXgSVWbjG-xXC3_e-1ygpZGjN0AEkhRIPw=w1317-h878-no

We wandered a bit in there (mostly in the gift shop), and although we hadn’t planned on visiting, we decided it may warrant a visit before we left the area. More to come on that later.

We also noticed signs and stickers posted all around the town on various buildings and storefronts saying something to the effect of, “Let’s go Lydia!” Since googling curiosities like these are a great way to pass the time during a 45-minute wait for a table, we looked it up and found out that this was a big show of support for Lydia Jacoby, a swimmer on the US Olympic Team. She’d trained for years in town at whatever pool she could get time in, and there is no regulation Olympic-size pool in Seward. Nevertheless, she was good enough at the breaststroke to make the team. She qualified for the finals of the 100-meter breaststroke but was not considered the favorite in the race.

On the night of the race, the town held a watch party in the Alaska Railroad terminal building. 400 Seward residents gathered to watch her race. She was running in 3rd place or so when she made the turn, and then…well, check it out:

Lydia Jacoby Olympic Race/Town of Seward reaction

Big mom points to Mrs. Jacoby for filming the whole thing on an iPad, which will never not look awkward. I love that Lydia looks as surprised as everyone else.

Anyway, watching that and seeing the town’s reaction brought a tear to my eye. We felt like Lydia was one of our own, since she was from Seward and we had once visited Seward.

Anyway, back to July 7.

We moseyed back over to the restaurant and waited outside, where we could see runners finishing the race. You’re allowed to come down the mountain however you want, so many of the runners were covered in mud, bleeding, etc. They had a water station near the finish line where runners could hose themselves off. These guys were hardcore.

And no one was tougher than the man who appeared to be in his 70’s who came jogging down the street to a wave of applause. He was one of the last finishers (which is to be expected), but was greeted with warm cheers and a news crew ready to interview him on his feat. I can only hope I have that much energy when I’m that age.

AM-JKLVMz4kfI0AhycgHiwg71i_4H0VkT5i9f6FE_DHuUIgyK7RbHwbRPWkhI35JN1ak58ys-S6vklHgpBtlVzCIKxYMgWNK9XdAHNKz-BOgXEH8iMgWFwlp0tCuh2v6aQjbRyW7R4DWwdyNnBPvnuxqVX0IiA=w1171-h878-no

We finally got called for a table and were led upstairs to the second floor, where we were seated on a dais that I can only assume is normally reserved for royalty. Or maybe it was a penalty box.

AM-JKLWGNV-wupi2WhAAjGe0OiIGCAl3ma1N1gufKjlNAGLFz5kPFxHszavcMgVihXry2lEvDplUD-xr0_LrV7jRWrtQZYN0EVGxVsVi67-IwCh0oFwEhaX32S-Ci1q9q5VbDCW8R2o4-MokR_ESEPo6kTGKqA=w1171-h878-no

Sadly, I failed you, my faithful readers, by being so hungry I forgot to take food photos. I will go sit in a corner and think about what I’ve done (or not done, as the case may be). Suffice it to say I ordered a cheeseburger, and it was excellent. I also ordered a pint of a beer with the incredibly creative name “Just Beer”. The description said it was supposed to be nothing fancy, just a regular old lager for people who just wanted a regular old beer. And it was really good! Oddly enough, Julie liked it a lot, too. And she normally hates beer. I had to keep her from stealing too many sips.

I did rally and manage to get a photo of dessert, which was an ice cream sandwich. But not just any ice cream sandwich. This one had peanut butter cookies and cocoa puffs.

AM-JKLWOiQAqdVcoPxFK6L4aPAMaudCRVrbOq6V_P3maVLa8xHQGzQVPh8gGYZCMMFeKq74jKuA4mYBVOIdq3JrJv8-jSokGQzZVKdDs3X0SU1juF92vQAg6nSFALsXIGpw6G5ACM6oIyRtJNikVnFgrtSj2pA=w1171-h878-no

Darned if that wasn’t really tasty, too.

This was one of my favorite dinners in Alaska, so we’ll be awarding the Seward Brewing Company a coveted Drooling Homer Award for Excellence in Unpretentious Dining.

qeJX_8d6FvUt-DlUyUUfWrNX98TKLUa3uscLR_nHyrJGmf0WGSJHz1pg7U8u8twY7_ATNNbgAW0Cn4XBeBCPCIvZ5tN92kWql63akHn72sdPwYiqFg-Ga6u6DEWl0TxkGvyh7N676FXxQG62EjhirU_gm9xSxiHZI4poSOCSYeFrwQjCXbdi4otQ75xg3lTGbt7f0OqsFC-U3x2QMHQovWXHhUAbI7b57lq4qSEUFaYPvufmp3yWjmg_OyzKdvamsvN4o3Z9LDwcEJ7fWwKA5jEQCQnxdI3E1GK-glt442seLv_wgreFMStDTNUp4t27T9aLoAdCrdPAHt-5eGLDlthBkBOBwNS_2cW210uOKUmureOQD15AUAJ5naD3gAcYHuiGJBnR8uCx_JG7IO-4228jAtAeLdveQ-DthbNZDc9K6L4Clwtpcgi4QpKitgcjimKEmctDNkzi1AdW9H5DkxJpHh_NT0Q609FCFkWNIWrM_OiL1ePnm9WZK-J3sa7R-lsciEFdwp7drneYP8MhhvHc5UN99eO6ejNPDhsgaHbwUcthCbBWJNrUlEVf6172PEbSDUdoumOAw0RRS2HZznDa52t9KUd4t2RlwAWTpDqBw2QpNsaDeeYZkIP7d8OEcDjJta4LvHapQGrgEahBKmAMnOBiJm-0a2XrInRC_xFcOnT4X2KuY8q77azqU_O2W2tJsKz-IEpL8dFSQZpHHRg=w279-h320-no

Once dinner was over, we drove to our hotel to check in. We were staying at the Seward Windsong Lodge, another property of the Pursuit Alaska group where that Black Friday 40% off sale had come in handy. I’d gotten a package deal through them for the room and a boat tour of Kenai Fjords the following day.

AM-JKLUzPuafR60lAUWcyQFiRFqK9E5f7cao640Mxne5sNUFnr44HDpuz_OKkS0bBiYl8b_xp9aaqc3crZVygkSQZNKoBluNjU8oP4CDFs46tlWuDo323BwZlopKNuwlrV5qMYlIkFtOcAX6I5C8F892QjEb5g=w1545-h870-no

This is one of the best deals on a room I’ve ever gotten. It was listed as a suite that could sleep 5 (what? I only have 5 people in this family as near as I can recall). But this ended up rivaling the family suite in Yosemite as one of the biggest rooms we’ve ever had for our family. It was perfect. At 40% off, it was a steal.

AM-JKLVYEwRpiDNPqiIIF31QZNAJvOf3d9TMloWu9pEBtVeT3X9HwAtg7LdPV5RG6QimXyLLs3XQVVlTWyISPoadHg2PvFHdffFn1xdIczL7JfmuKeVMGwHDpQ6NTrVMGTHDXx8XgbpVgieddi9c3M0ZTlAn0g=w1171-h878-no

This would be our home for the next two nights.

Coming Up Next: That boat tour I mentioned. Trying to resist repeating the Gilligan’s Island joke here.

After breakfast, we went back to our rooms to brush our teeth and pack our bags, since we had to make a flight out that evening. The lodge was really helpful with this. They had a storage area near the front desk where they would collect our bags and hold them. When we returned from the boat, they’d already be loaded onto the bus for the return to the airport.
That sounds like an amazing service!!! I wonder if Disney has ever thought of trying something like that! :rolleyes1
I did see one large chunk fall not long after we’d stopped, but wasn’t fast enough for a photo. Again, that’s ok. I can say I saw it with my own eyes.
The experience is way more important than the documentation.
We saw one enterprising couple station their kids in the main seating area within their sight line and then find themselves to a seat in the bar.
It was you and Julie, wasn't it?
The overlook seemed like as good a place as any to eat our PB&J sandwiches for lunch. We sat and enjoyed the warm, beautiful weather and the perfect scenic backdrop. I think scenery like this does make PB&J taste up to 5% better.
I mean, I don't know if it has been proven scientifically yet, but I see a lot more suspect scientific information being thrown around these days so I'll allow it.
Anyway, we greatly enjoyed our dinner here, and it was topped off when we decided to spoil ourselves by ordering a dessert called Death By Peanut Butter, which was their version of a chocolate/peanut butter pie.
That thing looks absolutely amazing!
As always, Julie and the kids were amazed and grateful for the kind, graceful patience I displayed when encountering these folks along the way.
Hey kids! Look! A deer!
I didn't think the dis would like the gif I wanted to post
We quickly rationalized that if we had to choose between seeing Valdez in all its glory or the sights we’d already seen at Glacier Bay and Denali, we’d gladly choose the latter.
::yes:: Fair trade.
This is where Santa Claus lives.
Looks kind of like the South of the Border of the North.
We also continued our peanut butter pie tour, because why not?
There's no sound argument against that logic.
There was a part of me that had wanted to figure out a way to cross the Arctic Circle while we were in Alaska. But in order to do that, we would have had to drive the Dalton Highway for a couple hundred miles north (forbidden for rental cars)
When has using a rental for unintended purposes ever stopped you?
Dave, Andrew and I went down to check it out, mostly because we can’t resist the siren call of watching trains.
I thought it was a whistle. :rolleyes1
Breakfast was some fruit, yogurt, and a hard-boiled egg placed in our fridge the night before.
Because the custom made omelet station is that extra $100 you saved.
After a while, we began to wonder what was taking so long. I went back to the desk to ask about our table, and they said they’d sent the text 15 minutes ago. By now, they’d given the table away.

I pulled out my phone and saw no text message. But then I saw the problem—No Service.
:headache:
I’m sorry…but that is not a pie. That is quite clearly a cake.
In the world of dessert, cake is the classic “high floor, low ceiling” dessert. You pretty much know what you’re going to get. Spongy cake, a little dry, tasting vaguely of either chocolate or vanilla or lemon, with heaps of goopy icing. Very little variance. It’s fine. A solid 10-year career, maybe a playoff win or two, mostly mediocre results.

Pie is “high ceiling, low floor”. The worst pies are flaming disasters.
I've never thought about it in this manner... but when you're right, you're right. And I guess that's why I often go with the safe bet... cake. You know what you're getting.
But the best of the best—apple, peach, key lime, chocolate cream, and yes, peanut butter—are perennial all stars. Perennial all stars that raise the level of every player around them. The MVP’s. Every meal is instantly better.
::yes:: The only disclaimer is that, say for example, every apple pie is not equal. I've had some less desirable ones, but a good one is hard to beat.
So when I think I’m getting Patrick Mahomes and I end up with Kirk Cousins, yeah…I’m going to be a little disappointed.
Just for comparison sake, where would Carson Wentz fall in this scale. Cause I really can't figure that one out.
Totally worth it. Between the wildlife and the mountain scenery, I’d go back for more in a heartbeat.
That's awesome!
I don’t know when exactly you lose that ability, but I think it’s somewhere between the 79th and 127th iterations of your little kid bursting into your room at 6 a.m. on a Saturday to demand your passcode so they can play unsupervised games on the iPad.
Sounds accurate.
Most likely, this meant that they served their best coffee over 30 years ago but still wouldn’t be able to stop themselves from telling you how great it once was.
I get that... kind of like the reversible jacket fans we have in Indiana... Indiana basketball and Notre Dame football. The IU basketball fans can't stop talking about their dusty old banners. The last one they added was 35 years ago, and they haven't beat Purdue in basketball since before our 5 year old took his fist breath. So yeah, I hope you gave the Cowboy hell.
She kept digging in this one spot until the volunteers tried to stop her and move her away. But Behnti watched them like a hawk, and no matter how much they guarded the spot or covered it back over with dirt, the second they got distracted she was all over it, digging a hole to China again. It provided an endless source of amusement for us.

She just looks like a stinker, doesn’t she?
She's totally got them trained to play her game.
Except at the end, when we tried to order another peanut butter pie and were told they were out.
:headache:
::yes:: And better than any pastry you'd get at a Starbucks.
I don’t know about you, but I like to have some chocolate in my chocolate croissants. Is that just me?

This was just a hunk of bread. Once again, I was victimized by Alaskan False Menu Advertising, which feels like it should be a felony.
Disappointing. But still better than anything from a Starbucks.
Having been burned by modified schedules and COVID staffing issues, I didn’t want to be caught again. And, wouldn’t you know it—their website announced they were closed on Wednesdays. Just our luck.
You're hitting them all on their off nights.
When it comes to vending machines, you and I both know that Dinty Moore beef stew has been in there for 4 years now.
Do they even make that stuff anymore?
I also ordered a pint of a beer with the incredibly creative name “Just Beer”. The description said it was supposed to be nothing fancy, just a regular old lager for people who just wanted a regular old beer.
Honestly, I love that description. I'd have absolutely ordered that same beer. I appreciate trying different beers, but I think in some cases it just gets a little too creative. No need to reinvent the wheel.
I’d gotten a package deal through them for the room and a boat tour of Kenai Fjords the following day.
Nice!!!
This is one of the best deals on a room I’ve ever gotten. It was listed as a suite that could sleep 5 (what? I only have 5 people in this family as near as I can recall).
So who's getting left out of the boat tour?

That sounds like an amazing service!!! I wonder if Disney has ever thought of trying something like that! :rolleyes1

That would be a great idea! It would be like an express to the airport. Almost magical, even.

The experience is way more important than the documentation.

Very true.

It was you and Julie, wasn't it?

Would you blame us?

I mean, I don't know if it has been proven scientifically yet, but I see a lot more suspect scientific information being thrown around these days so I'll allow it.

Oh, come on. This information was printed on the internet. Who can argue with that?

That thing looks absolutely amazing!

Tasted pretty amazing too!

Hey kids! Look! A deer!
I didn't think the dis would like the gif I wanted to post

It's the thought that counts. I can picture it in my mind, and it's beautiful.

Looks kind of like the South of the Border of the North.

Well, that's...Yep, that's exactly it.

There's no sound argument against that logic.

I heard no arguments at the time, either.

When has using a rental for unintended purposes ever stopped you?

In this case, I felt like I would struggle to hide the evidence more.

I thought it was a whistle. :rolleyes1

In this case, it was just a loud train rumbling into the station. I don't remember a whistle.

But yes...

Because the custom made omelet station is that extra $100 you saved.

Starting to think it was worth the extra hundred.

I've never thought about it in this manner... but when you're right, you're right. And I guess that's why I often go with the safe bet... cake. You know what you're getting.

I must be a "swing for the fences" dessert guy, then.

::yes:: The only disclaimer is that, say for example, every apple pie is not equal. I've had some less desirable ones, but a good one is hard to beat.

Now that's very true. I've had quite a few that were ice-cold, just out of the fridge, with crunchy apples. Crunchy apples is kind of a deal-killer with an apple pie. Serve that baby warm, and with ice cream.

Just for comparison sake, where would Carson Wentz fall in this scale. Cause I really can't figure that one out.

Oh man. Welcome to the Carson Wentz experience. None of us could figure it out, either. In 2017, I was convinced the Eagles had found an elite franchise QB to lead the team for the next 15 years. I was sure it was the start of something big.

3 years later he was the worst QB in the league. I have no explanation for this. I guess that's the very definition of "high ceiling, low floor". He makes a handful of throws every year that only a few guys in the league can make. And then makes other throws that are so brain-dead, you wonder if he's ever picked up a football before.

That's awesome!

That was a great day.

Sounds accurate.

I honestly don't remember what sleeping in feels like.

I get that... kind of like the reversible jacket fans we have in Indiana... Indiana basketball and Notre Dame football. The IU basketball fans can't stop talking about their dusty old banners. The last one they added was 35 years ago, and they haven't beat Purdue in basketball since before our 5 year old took his fist breath. So yeah, I hope you gave the Cowboy hell.

Yeah, that would have been the old Bobby Knight days, right? I can't remember the last time they were relevant.

Usually the first thing I ask a Cowboys fan is if they've ever set foot in Texas. Then I check for their NY Yankees cap.

She's totally got them trained to play her game.

Totally. Suckers.

::yes:: And better than any pastry you'd get at a Starbucks.

I don't think I've ever ordered a pastry at Starbucks. Not that I would.

Disappointing. But still better than anything from a Starbucks.

This does have the ring of truth to it.

You're hitting them all on their off nights.

We were having a tough run there. Thankfully it worked out.

Do they even make that stuff anymore?

They may have discontinued it several years ago. But it's still in the vending machine.

Honestly, I love that description. I'd have absolutely ordered that same beer. I appreciate trying different beers, but I think in some cases it just gets a little too creative. No need to reinvent the wheel.

There was definitely a certain appeal to the way it was described. No fuss, no muss. You want a beer? Here you go. Perfect. It really delivered as ordered.

So who's getting left out of the boat tour?

Poor Scotty.

I was able to get the tour first for all 6 of us, then added the room and just requested the suite. No one asked any questions.

The Many Seasons of a Day in Alaska
Oh, how I can relate to this line.
By this time, we’d been subsisting on Pop Tarts for breakfast (if the hotel wasn’t providing anything) and PB&J sandwiches for lunch for an entire week, and we all needed a break.
So you switched it up to Pop Tarts for lunch and PB&J for breakfast?
This was a little mom-and-pop shop serving all sorts of overpriced coffee drinks (just like Starbucks, only with better coffee) and homemade pastries. It was pricy, but in this case we were willing to spend in order to avoid Pop Tarts again.
I would think "pricy" is a rule in Alaska?
I bit into my chocolate, croissant, newly freed from its almond cocoon.

It tasted of disappointment and sadness.
Actually... I'm not even a little bit surprised. I've never liked chocolate croissants for just that reason. It's a croissant... with a tiny nugget of chocolate. I'd much rather have a plain croissant and put something on it. Like... PB&J.
Once again, I was victimized by Alaskan False Menu Advertising, which feels like it should be a felony.
:laughing:
Love this shot of you guys. :)
When it comes to eating pie, we don’t give up easily.
:laughing: This should be a truism!
The afternoon’s drive would take us south of Anchorage around a fjord known as Turnagain Arm on state route 1
Which, I presume, had numerous turns?
Naturally, this was when the rain and fog moved in.
Ugh. Bummer.
Now, I really can’t complain. This was the only heavy period of rain we experienced during our entire Alaska vacation, which really is a minor miracle when you consider how things could have gone.
Well... when you put it that way...
I have this reoccurring thought that my entire cruise will consist of water... both below and falling from above.
Here is one of the better views we got along the way:
Ho hum... just another stunning photo from Alaska.
It’s one of the locations in the world where you can witness a bore tide rolling in if you happen to be there at the right time (sadly, we did not).
Pretty cool that they get surfers coming up just for that!
The rest of the family was extremely impressed with the way I made use of the passing lanes when they were available to get around slow-moving vehicles.

pedal.gif
When you say "impressed", do you mean "Screaming and shouting "We're all gonna die!""?
We made a right turn just at the edge of town and drove about 8-10 miles west, where we found our fourth national park of the trip
So... I'm realizing that your National Parks are like my Harley stores.

I suspect your views are better.
By this time of the day, the rain had completely moved on and it was sunny outside.
Yuss!! You must have been both relieved and happy about that.
When we started our hike up the hill, we noticed that every so often there would be a sign posted next to the trail with a number on it, like “1859” or “1912”, and so on.
I know what those are...

And I've had a similar experience at the Columbia icefield. With the exception that I was able to see what 40 years of retreat looked like from my own experience.
The lack of wind also made this the one and only time when the famous mosquitoes and other bugs of Alaska became a problem. It wasn’t unbearable, but it was definitely a nuisance.
So... not Florida Everglades bad.
It’s sobering when you look at the historical markers.
Just 10 (ish) years. :sad2:
You know what’s really sobering? Finding out you missed out on seeing Bigfoot.
Meh. I see him every time I ride EE.
We called the restaurant at our hotel, and they were completely full up with reservations (although they did promise to make accommodations for us since we were guests at the hotel, which was nice)
Nice of them.
It was marathon day in Seward.

Mount Marathon, to be exact. And it’s actually a 5K race.
Cool sounding race. And... just begging for injuries!
Love the colours in this shot.
Immediately, we found a key benefit to being there on race day: the Seward Brewing Company was actually open for business.
:thumbsup2
When it comes to vending machines, you and I both know that Dinty Moore beef stew has been in there for 4 years now.
But just as good as the day it splorked into the can.
and the Alaska Sea Life Center, which is a local aquarium/science center that cares for rescued marine life.
So...
She was running in 3rd place or so when she made the turn, and then…well, check it out:
I can't! The video isn't available up here. But I did find a video on YouTube that showed the crowd's reaction, if not the actual race.
And no one was tougher than the man who appeared to be in his 70’s who came jogging down the street to a wave of applause. He was one of the last finishers (which is to be expected), but was greeted with warm cheers and a news crew ready to interview him on his feat.

I can only hope I have that much energy when I’m that age.
Or this age.

:duck:
we were seated on a dais that I can only assume is normally reserved for royalty. Or maybe it was a penalty box.
Royalty, certainly.
Sadly, I failed you, my faithful readers
Meh. We sooooo used to that.

Suffice it to say I ordered a cheeseburger, and it was excellent. I also ordered a pint of a beer with the incredibly creative name “Just Beer”. The description said it was supposed to be nothing fancy, just a regular old lager for people who just wanted a regular old beer. And it was really good!
This place sounds great! Too bad I'm not cruising there. I'd check it out. :)
I did rally and manage to get a photo of dessert, which was an ice cream sandwich. But not just any ice cream sandwich. This one had peanut butter cookies and cocoa puffs.
Holy crap. :faint:
Whoa! That place is huge!
That boat tour I mentioned. Trying to resist repeating the Gilligan’s Island joke here.
Steady... steady.......

Oh, how I can relate to this line.

I've been to a few places where they claim ownership of the phrase, "Don't like the weather? Just wait a few minutes."

So you switched it up to Pop Tarts for lunch and PB&J for breakfast?

200.gif

I would think "pricy" is a rule in Alaska?

Yes. Yes, it is.

Actually... I'm not even a little bit surprised. I've never liked chocolate croissants for just that reason. It's a croissant... with a tiny nugget of chocolate. I'd much rather have a plain croissant and put something on it. Like... PB&J.

Wow, you must have had horrible luck with them. I've had many chocolate croissants that I loved. Pastry with warm gooey chocolate filling is wonderful. I can't say I've had very many I hated. This was one of them. The lack of chocolate was just pathetic.

Love this shot of you guys. :)

We look like we're having fun!

:laughing: This should be a truism!

It's certainly true for our family.

Which, I presume, had numerous turns?

As a matter of fact...yes!

Well... when you put it that way...
I have this reoccurring thought that my entire cruise will consist of water... both below and falling from above.

I would hate that for you, but it certainly is within the realm of possibility. It's certainly a good idea to prepare for it.

Ho hum... just another stunning photo from Alaska.

Exactly! :laughing: Similar to Hawaii, where eventually you just start saying, "oh look, another waterfall."

Pretty cool that they get surfers coming up just for that!

I believe you're right! It would have been cool to see.

When you say "impressed", do you mean "Screaming and shouting "We're all gonna die!""?

Eh. Tomayto, Tomahto.

So... I'm realizing that your National Parks are like my Harley stores.

I suspect your views are better.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I would definitely seek out the national parks first.

Yuss!! You must have been both relieved and happy about that.

Definitely. The timing worked out well, for sure.

I know what those are...

And I've had a similar experience at the Columbia icefield. With the exception that I was able to see what 40 years of retreat looked like from my own experience.

It does make the idea of climate change real. In a big way.

So... not Florida Everglades bad.

No, none of us were afraid we would be eaten alive. So not that bad.

Just 10 (ish) years. :sad2:

Yeah...

Meh. I see him every time I ride EE.

And doing the disco as well!

Cool sounding race. And... just begging for injuries!

I'm sure they have a very long waiver form everyone has to sign before they start the race.

Love the colours in this shot.

It was a cute little town. The backgrounds make every town in Alaska look so much more interesting than everywhere else.

But just as good as the day it splorked into the can.

That's probably a true statement.

I can't! The video isn't available up here. But I did find a video on YouTube that showed the crowd's reaction, if not the actual race.

Well, that's a bummer. The link I posted had the race synced up with the crowd reaction. Pretty fun.

Or this age.

I can't even deny that one.

Royalty, certainly.

Yes. Yes, that has to be it.

Meh. We sooooo used to that.

Hey, it's what I do.

This place sounds great! Too bad I'm not cruising there. I'd check it out. :)

I guess you're on a cruise that begins/ends in Vancouver? We were originally going to do a one-way cruise from Vancouver to Seward.

Whoa! That place is huge!

So much room for us! It was pretty great.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter