The end of printed park maps? + report and pics

WonkaKid

DIS Veteran
Recently someone asked me to check if printed daily schedules were still available at the park gates. Many of you may recall that adjacent to the maps, schedules with the day’s events used to be available to guests. I don’t recall seeing them lately but I asked a friend who was as the park on Wednesday to look. He didn’t see any and I also checked this morning but I found the same. I asked the CM at the gate if they were still offered but she said that they were phased out long ago. She also believed that they plan to do the same with printed park maps, the idea being that DL would prefer that guests rely entirely on the app for any park-related questions. As many of you know, I offer to send park maps regularly. I know that a lot of people like to have them for a variety of reasons: they make for a great welcome package or an exciting preview for kids or they simply would like some as a souvenir and forgot to grab any on a recent visit. I’d really hate to see them eliminated. Hopefully that doesn’t happen. But in case they are, I’ve begun to stockpile them ;-).

I had a great time at the park today! Due to the half-marathon, it didn’t open until 9:00… and lines at the gate were all the way to the Monorail tracks by 7:50. I was pleasantly surprised when a friend texted at 6:45 to tell me that he was already there – first in line. I didn’t know that he’d planned to come today. His daughter ran in the race so he arrived with her there just before 5:00.

We rope-dropped Indiana Jones, which is always a gamble. We were second on the ride (first in our car) and would have been first but I passed the entrance because they moved it all the way to the left. That’s not the first time that’s happened to me. In the past I’ve headed for the usual line entrance only to find that they’ve moved it… just for the morning. That’s always aggravating because as a result I lose my potential first-place spot.

Following IJ, we moved on to Haunted Mansion. Although there was a short line, it was still a walk-on. As can be seen in the pic below, the queue has been shortened significantly. Guests can no longer enter that sort-of side yard because it’s been walled off, presumably in preparation for the coming queue reconfiguration.

We only got to ride Buzz a few times before the line got too long. It didn’t help that the attraction stopped several times, which made wait times nearly double. On my first round I got a bum cruiser. The gun on the right didn’t work at all and the one of the left barely worked. In short, I got two good scores (1.9M and 2,082,200) that came through and two respectable ones that didn’t, one of which was a score of around 1.6M (my final of the day). I’d planned to give that score to one of the kids from the Buzz family. Often when I don’t see them I’ll put their initials on the board and then send a pic of it to their mom. They always seem to enjoy that. As I’ve said countless times in the past, I often get more aggravation from that attraction than pleasure. But I’ve also said nearly as many times that any complaints that I have at or about DL are First-World, one-percenter problems and are probably not worthy of mention. There are millions in the world who wished that they had room in their lives to have such things qualify as "problems."

One thing that was special: I’ve become friendly with a Buzz CM. She’s always very kind and we’ll often stop and chat for ten-twenty minutes. Towards the end of our day – just past 1:00 – she offered to walk us onto Buzz through the exit, an offer we accepted gratefully. That was super cool of her and made for a nice end to our (abbreviated) day.

In large part due to the half-marathon (I presume), the park was crowded and wait times for everything were high. It didn’t help matters that there were big problems with the app and no one’s Genie+ worked. We saw long lines at two of the Guest Services umbrellas to address those issues.

I look forward to next Sunday when there will no longer be an early entry. We’ll have a fair shot at Peter Pan once again. It was always fun to rope-drop it and to be first. As some of you may recall, often when I was fortunate enough to be first, if there were kids/a family behind me that seemed nice, I’d always offer them my spot. Perhaps I’ll get that chance again soon.

Side weather-related note: It was 50° when I arrived at the park gates this morning. Ultimately it warmed up to 64°. By way of contrast, it was a mere -4° in Chicago at park-open. I texted a friend some park pics and she replied that she had no plans to leave her house today. I don't blame her. My mom didn't leave her house either.

I’ve got park maps for anyone who like some. Send me a DM with your address and I’ll get a set in the mail for you.

Park pics:

IMG_7789.jpegIMG_7791.jpegIMG_7796.jpegIMG_7798.jpegIMG_7799.jpegIMG_7805.jpegIMG_7807.jpegIMG_7814.jpegIMG_7815.jpegIMG_7816.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks for the pictures. I always look forward to your Sunday reports. The pictures of BTM are great. That's my favorite fast ride but I can't ride it anymore (Back issues.)

It must have been really cool going in through the back exit of Buzz.

I will be SO sad if they get rid of the paper maps! I always bring a few home as souvenirs and it's fun to randomly find maps from 20 years ago in a drawer. Also, it's hard to imagine someone new to the parks trying to look at a map of Disneyland on their phone and easily figuring out where they're going.

I have a few of the huge poster sized maps, too, including one from 1968. I wish they still sold those.

Thanks for the great (as usual pics!)...Indiana Jones was down the whole time we were there and I was so sad. Stormy looking skies! Oh and by where you took the monorail photos is the spot where you can wave to the Hojo cameras and friends back home can see you! Yep trivia I know!🥹

She also believed that they plan to do the same with printed park maps, the idea being that DL would prefer that guests rely entirely on the app for any park-related questions.
Oh no! I hope that doesn't come to be. I have always enjoyed the maps even though we really didn't use them last year while we were in the parks. I find them fun to look over when we get back to the hotel after a long day in the parks and then when we get home after our trip.

I assume it is just a cost cutting measure which I understand but still....

Thanks for the great (as usual pics!)...Indiana Jones was down the whole time we were there and I was so sad. Stormy looking skies! Oh and by where you took the monorail photos is the spot where you can wave to the Hojo cameras and friends back home can see you! Yep trivia I know!🥹
Which monorail shot is that? Such a cool idea to try to wave to folks at home!

Which monorail shot is that? Such a cool idea to try to wave to folks at home!
Where you get off the monorail by autopia ride and the submarine ride...you walk across and there is a camera pointing that way from Howard Johnson's. Go to Disneyland Webcams and you will see all the views. My nieces and I had a big group waving when we were there, though a lot of the folks had no idea what they were waving at! :dogdance::rotfl::wave:

Universal Studios Hollywood did away with printed maps a long time ago. I know they didn't have any when I went last January. Universal Orlando did away with printed maps starting this month. I would be disappointed, but hardly surprised, if Disney did away with them.

Universal Studios Hollywood did away with printed maps a long time ago. I know they didn't have any when I went last January. Universal Orlando did away with printed maps starting this month. I would be disappointed, but hardly surprised, if Disney did away with them.
Agreed. I think they're a great souvenir. Hopefully the cynics at Disney (who know the price of everything and the value of nothing) haven't come to the same conclusion and decided to do away with free maps... only to offer them for sale at $5.99.

Last edited:
As always it’s apleasure to read your Sunday reports…

Those printed entertainment schedules weren’t there last summer if I recall correctly… so it’s been a while for sure…Same as paper tickets…
I hope paper maps won’t have the same destiny. It’s a great souvenir. I like navigating with my phone but ti have something in your pocket it just as great and easier to use…
With the paper entertainment schedule it was so easy to get a great overview about what’s happening that day… I find it extremely difficult to use the app in that regard…

I hope paper maps will still be available next November when I am visiting again…

I am really happy about the changes of early entry… it would certainly be great to rope drop Peter Pan again and not having to wait an hour for it… And therefore to truly enjoy it again (I tend to fall asleep when trying to do it at night…)

Well also Disneyland tickets cost more....so I think guests for Disneyland should be getting a free printed map, especially when the higher days are over 150 a day

Well also Disneyland tickets cost more....so I think guests for Disneyland should be getting a free printed map, especially when the higher days are over 150 a day
Well, I think the Universal tickets cost enough that they can afford to give us paper maps, but I guess the Universal bean counters think otherwise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter