The Dreaded Stroller Question

vicarrieous

DIS Veteran
We are headed to WDW in Jan and I cannot decide between a single or double stroller. We already know we will rent but I am hung up on whether to get a double or not. Ages at time of trip will be 6 and 4.

The problem is my 6 year old. Knowing him, I think he will still need the stroller when we are there, BUT the problem is his height. He is currently 5 and 52" - yep extremely tall for his age. Most people mistake him now for 7 or 8! Even with the baby jogger double, it doesn't fit him well. Is it worth it to even try a double? I was thinking maybe getting a glider board but not sure how that works with folding and mobility while traveling on the bus. I would love to get away with a single, but I don't want to be piggy backing a 6 or 4 year old back. We are staying at the Beach Club and plan to walk to Epcot and HS.

Thoughts?

We are headed to WDW in Jan and I cannot decide between a single or double stroller. We already know we will rent but I am hung up on whether to get a double or not. Ages at time of trip will be 6 and 4.

...Even with the baby jogger double, it doesn't fit him well. Is it worth it to even try a double?

Thoughts?

I just was on another thread talking about the convenience of having a stroller in the park and being able to double them as 'carry-alls' for everything we brought: food, bags, blankets, snacks, coats, whatever.. Now that our kids are getting older we need to ditch the strollers but I will miss them from that perspective.

Let me tell you I have children ages 9, 6, and 6 and we used to take (2) strollers into the park on each visit: 1 double stroller (front to back - long stroller style) and 1 single stroller. We used to have those things in the biggest of crowds after everyone dumped onto Main Street after the Electrical Parade and it wasn't a big deal. Sure I wasn't super agile but with a little patience, no big deal. Every ride we went to we would park the strollers, dump all our stuff, and go on the rides nice and light without backpacks, etc..

The biggest thing I like about strollers with young kids though is that it can extend your day. Little ones get tired walking all the time. If you are trying to extend your stay at MK or another park, it is GREAT to let them take the load off and push them around as the day drags on. If they are really young they might even take a short nap. The nice thing is you can push them around, and then they can hop out and go on the next ride. This is doubtful to happen if at the park in the evening if there little legs have been walking 15,000+ steps in a day. It's not like us adults with a FitBit trying to track our exercise! They just get plumb tired.

So for me I'd say, 'yes' bring the stroller and go for the double. It will not be that big of a deal to push around, you can store stuff, let the little ones have a break so they don't get too cranky and tired, and enjoy a nice long day at the parks!

I totally agree on the convenience of a stroller! The only bummer is lugging a folded double onto the bus and off even though its an easy one hand fold. I just keep going back between a single or double and if its double, my kid really doesn't fit in it well for height not weight.

The only bummer is lugging a folded double onto the bus and off even though its an easy one hand fold.

So great point you bring up. In the bunches of trips as pass holders we did to the parks over the last few years we went on the parking lot trams almost never because of this. We did it 1 time at MK. Never...again. I had to put it on my lap and ugh. We just hoofed it to all the parks from the parking lot.

If you are staying on property and must use the buses I admit this will be a pain. That's a tough one. If one of your children is resilient and think can walk a bunch during the day and will not need the stroller, I'd say go with that single to be more agile for the bus transportation.

Be aware that if you dump all your stuff in the stroller and leave it while you go on rides, no one will be watching it. So you might come back to your stuff missing, especially if it looks like good stuff. Only leave stuff in the stroller that you don't mind not having if it gets stolen.

The problem is my 6 year old. Knowing him, I think he will still need the stroller when we are there, BUT the problem is his height. He is currently 5 and 52" - yep extremely tall for his age. Most people mistake him now for 7 or 8! Even with the baby jogger double, it doesn't fit him well. Is it worth it to even try a double? I was thinking maybe getting a glider board but not sure how that works with folding and mobility while traveling on the bus. I would love to get away with a single, but I don't want to be piggy backing a 6 or 4 year old back. We are staying at the Beach Club and plan to walk to Epcot and HS.

Thoughts?
absolutely a double stroller.....had the same issue when my kids were small, and it was great to have the extra space....you wont regret it

Be aware that if you dump all your stuff in the stroller and leave it while you go on rides, no one will be watching it. So you might come back to your stuff missing, especially if it looks like good stuff. Only leave stuff in the stroller that you don't mind not having if it gets stolen.

This is true as with anything in life in these scenarios. However, I'll say I've never had this happen. It doesn't mean it can't I do realize that too. I think that the price of Disney and the nature of the folks visiting (families, kids, fans, etc.) has a natural filter to the greater population of individual thieves and vandals you might find more often at county fairs, malls, and other public venues.

The only thief we have witnessed was a squirrel eating the food out of our stroller at the Mexico pavilion at EPCOT! :squirrel:

This is true as with anything in life in these scenarios. However, I'll say I've never had this happen. It doesn't mean it can't I do realize that too. I think that the price of Disney and the nature of the folks visiting (families, kids, fans, etc.) has a natural filter to the greater population of individual thieves and vandals you might find more often at county fairs, malls, and other public venues.

The only thief we have witnessed was a squirrel eating the food out of our stroller at the Mexico pavilion at EPCOT! :squirrel:
People will spend $100 to make thousands of $$.

Around a year ago someone posted that they saw a person walking off with their stroller, notified security, and followed them. When security caught up to them in the parking lot, their trunk had many strollers in it. Spend $100 on a ticket, steal 6 strollers, make triple what you spent.

No way should people think that Disney magic keeps the crooks out.

We rented a City Mini GT double for our upcoming trip. The "GT" is supposed to be good for up to 49 inches. It will be tall enough for our 4 year old and 6 year old. Your guy is a little taller than that but at least it will give him a little extra space. They also seem to have a single stroller meant for children up to 8 and 200lbs - maybe two singles???

Thoughts?

As a Disney stroller expert, lemme give you the lowdown.

If at all possible, rent the double stroller at the park.

Why? ok. I get your reservations. Why not use a great stroller delivery service? Why would you want to carry the kids back to the room? Why would you spend all those Disney dollars on park strollers??? Also, bring a 20$ Mickey stroller from Target to take for emergencies or to places like Disney springs where the 4 year old might fall behind. You ABSOLUTELY do not want to try and navigate a large stroller through Disney Springs. OMG no.

I have three kids ranging from 5-17 and we took about 20 Disney trips before finally moving to Florida.

1. You do NOT want to try and lug a giant stroller on to a bus/monorail/boat.
2. Disney park strollers are large and very easily carry bigger kids.
3. When you stay at a boardwalk resort, you can take the boat from Epcot to the hotel. Well, unless you have a stroller. then you have to fold up that giant thing and pull the kids out or end up walking anyway.
4. Even when just one of our kids was in a stroller, the other space is great for keeping bags.
5. If your kids want to chill out in the shade on their vacation why worry what anyone else wants to think about it??

I don't get the idea of the "convenience" of a stroller. I have 6 kids. I have done WDW with strollers, singles and doubles, and without. Trust me, having a stroller is a way bigger inconvenience than not having one.

Getting it on and off WDW transportation, up and down monorail ramps, and parking it and then finding it before and after rides.

We never brought or bought that much junk that we needed a stroller to haul it.

Our cut off is once you are in school, you are too big for a stroller. That is 5 for us. That us a very large child to be pushing in a stroller, and aside from a special needs stroller, you may have trouble finding one he fits in. Not to mention have you thought about how exhausting it will be pushing around that much weight all day? None of mine have, honestly, ever had trouble walking in the parks after age 5.

Honestly, I would buy a single, lightweight, easy to fold, cheap stroller for the 4 year old and have the 6 year old walk. He shouldn't have a problem. Take breaks during the day, have an ice cream, see a show. It should be fine.

When we stayed at the BC, my youngest were 4, 4, and 6. We rented a stroller in the parks every day, and it worked great. They could hop in and out easily, and we didn't have to deal with them on the buses. Since they were older, they were comfortable enough, no need for a comfy stroller for napping, but more as a means to get from point a to point b quickly. My 6 year old was also very tiny, same size as the 4 year olds.

We plan to,stroller with a 7 year old.

13 year old and DH and I will be moving too fast. Plus she can read and do homework between rides....yes.....total nerd.

We rented a double stroller for our first Disney trip because they were younger. It was great to have in the parks but a nightmare on Disney transport.

Once my kids reached 5 the stroller went away. I noticed that without the stroller the kids enjoyed the trip more and were more engaged. With the stroller they would veg out in it and not really enjoy what was going on around them.

Bring the double, who cares what people think?

This!

In a nutshell - yes! Do what you know works for your family with no regrets! If that's bring a stroller then DO IT, if it means have them walk DO IT.

I have never had a problem or get inconvenienced by loading and unloading my double (used to have a peg Perego aria double) from a bus - we've been twice in last 2 years. I prefer having one to take with us because sometimes you can't get a double at the park or its one more line to wait in, it's also much more expensive.

If you can avoid 1 park meltdown or make your child happier or more engaged - then do what is right for you. In our case it means having somewhere for DD to ride for a bit.

Thoughts?
Rent a double in the parks only. Take the boat or bus to HS as you really don't want to push a stroller that far!

We rented a double when it was just two kids and they were 6 and 4, we got a lot more done. Now with our ages we bring our own double or triple, but I'm also in the camp that doesn't care what others think. My kids are tall as well but since it's my husband and I doing the pushing it doesn't matter if other patrons think they are too tall too old or have too much curly hair! Our next trip we are bringing our double from home for our 1 and 3 year old, but we are renting a double stroller for MNSSHP, for the 5 and 7 year old if needed.

I'd get the double. Even if he sits in it with the sunshade folded back, it keeps him corralled during super busy times like leaving the park at night. You don't have to worry about losing him in the dark. Also, he's six. There is a good chance he might just need to sit down at some point, if only for your sanity. It's also a nice place to sit waiting for parades or eating a little cream.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter