The DisFort's Chit Chat Cafe

Ian did a thing this week.

He announced a while back he wanted a new car. Not just a different car, but his first brand new car. His current car was a 2015 with only 73,000 miles on it. It was still in great shape, but he decided it was getting old. I laughed, but it's his money. He has a thing for Miatas, but was considering a Mini Clubman or Countryman for the AWD.

Last week he decided on another Miata, but this one would be an RF. It has a retractable panel over your head, but still a beam above where the rear window is. It is more closed in and solid for winter weather than a traditional soft top convertible. His current car is a retractable hardtop.

Here is the new one. This is his 4th Miata. A 2023 with 35 miles on it. He did everything on his own. Negotiated a reasonable deal, got his own financing and decided how much down payment he would give to make his payments where he wanted. This dealer wasn't interested in his current Miata as a trade. They said they would have a hard time selling it in this market, so Ian sold it back to Carvana for $3500 more than the dealer offered.

20240321_161215.jpg

Here is the evolution of his cars.

His first. It started as a parts car for the race team. Ian bought it from the team so it wouldn't become replacement parts for the race car. This was a 1994, older than he is and was the first generation Miata (NA). It had a little engine, but handled really well on the twisties.

FB_IMG_1711075466033.jpg

Screenshot_20240321_212451_Facebook.jpg

The 1994 was a good starter car. It leaked everything from everywhere when the team acquired it. Ian put a lot of work into fixing everything before he had a driver's license. He sold it to a friend and bought Miata #2.

Screenshot_20240321_212343_Facebook.jpg

This was a 2006, the first year of the 3rd generation Miatas (NC). It was a soft top and had a checkered past. Despite being shown a clean CarFax from the dealer in Kentucky, it turns out the car had been in a significant wreck when it was 6 months old. The entire left rear clip had been replaced and there was frame damage that was repaired. The car didn't have any issues, but was a pain to try to sell. Nobody would touch it with that kind of history. Fortunately/unfortunately the issue was resolved when someone pulled a right turn on red right infront of Ian and stopped to turn into a parking lot.

20181221_134552.jpg

Nobody was hurt, but this opened the door for Miata #3, a 2015 retractable hardtop. This was the last year of the NC.

Screenshot_20240321_212250_Facebook.jpg

20200602_143756.jpg

Great little car from Arizona. Low miles and great shape.

Six years later and Miata #4 joined the family. This is a 4th generation (ND) Miata. The 4th gens come as a soft top or the retractable center panel of the RF.

This one is much more up to date with technology and features found in most cars today. Bluetooth, nav, climate control, backup camera, adaptive headlights and lane and brake assist.

20240316_155020.jpg20240316_155446.jpg

20240321_160946.jpg
It now has 85 miles on it and he hasn't complained about anything yet. :rotfl2:

He's pretty proud.

j

Last edited:
Thanks for Ian's update, Jim.

I feel like I've watched him grow up as we've camped with your family since 2016.

Naturally I feel like "Uncle Ed" and want to remind him to "buckle up" and "drive safely" to reinforce what (no doubt) you and DW tell him.

We hope the new Miata lasts him a long time. :drive:

Me and DW

Started renovation on one of the last rooms in the house. This room has been our master bedroom for a long time. It was originally connected to a front bedroom by a single door between them. Each bedroom also had a door to the main hall/landing. When we bought the house, the door had been covered on one side and turned into in-wall shelves on the other. When we made the rear 1/3rd of the house a full 2 story and added a master bath, I opened up the single door and put in French doors to combine the 2 rooms.

This room hasn't had anything done except Donna wanted shiplap on one of the walls a few years ago. This wall has a brick chimney at the far end so I couldn't pull down the plaster and put up drywall. This room also has the original single pane windows. Nearly all the (26) windows in the house had been replaced before we bought the house, but for some reason this room wasn't done.

20240323_200227.jpg

The door on the left is original and went to a bathroom and closet (originally maid's quarters, as the house wasn't built with plumbing) when we bought the house. That is also where the rear staircase came up to, althought it had been closed in decades before we bought the house. The door on the right was originally a window at chest height. The rear 1/3rd of the house was originally a 1 1/2 story with a steep (12/12) pitch. This window looked out over the sloped roof. When we bumped the rear up to a full 2 story, I converted the window into a door to our master bath I added in the new space.

Our bed was in this room until last week.

This is the view into the front bedroom through the French doors. The front room is bigger than the other, but farther from the bathroom, which is why our bed was in the other side.

20240323_200247.jpg

The door on the right goes out to the upper hall and stairs. I plan on using the originally woodwork, so I have been carefully removing and labeling it. It's always fun finding messages or other writing on the walls or trim as I take things apart. The trim over the original door to the maid's quarters had some writing in cursive. "Edwardsville, IL" was easy to make out.

20240323_191414.jpg20240323_191443.jpg

But I couldn't make out what was before Edwardsville.

The picture on my computer helped after a little enhancement.

20240323_191436.jpg

I thought it said "J H Theuer". Thanks to Google, I found an obituary for a Walter William Theuer (1895-1966) from Edwardsville that was a carpenter, but he was too young. My house was built in 1902. Scrolling down on the obituary said Walter's father was "John Henry Theuer" (1859-1947). The text in the obit refers to Walter's father as "J. H." It didn't list the father's occupation, but since the son was a carpenter, I suspect the father was too.

1711243990385.png

I'll be replacing the windows, insulating the outside wall and drywalling and/or putting up more shiplap. I'd prefer to drywall, but Donna is thinking one more wall (one between the 2 bathroom doors.)

j

Last edited:
Found this article about a couple of buildings down the street. To bring all this full circle, we had been told that our elderly neighbor's father had built my house and the house next door (also built in 1902). "Clara", was very old when we moved in 28 years ago and died quite awhile back, but this article talks about J H Theuer living in Clara's house. Looks like the neighborhood story is probably true.

https://www.theintelligencer.com/lo...-combine-residential-with-retail-10443622.php

j

Last edited:

Started renovation on one of the last rooms in the house. This room has been our master bedroom for a long time. It was originally connected to a front bedroom by a single door between them. Each bedroom also had a door to the main hall/landing. When we bought the house, the door had been covered on one side and turned into in-wall shelves on the other. When we made the rear 1/3rd of the house a full 2 story and added a master bath, I opened up the single door and put in French doors to combine the 2 rooms.

This room hasn't had anything done except Donna wanted shiplap on one of the walls a few years ago. This wall has a brick chimney at the far end so I couldn't pull down the plaster and put up drywall. This room also has the original single pane windows. Nearly all the (26) windows in the house had been replaced before we bought the house, but for some reason this room wasn't done.

View attachment 844588

The door on the left is original and went to a bathroom and closet (originally maid's quarters, as the house wasn't built with plumbing) when we bought the house. That is also where the rear staircase came up to, althought it had been closed in decades before we bought the house. The door on the right was originally a window at chest height. The rear 1/3rd of the house was originally a 1 1/2 story with a steep (12/12) pitch. This window looked out over the sloped roof. When we bumped the rear up to a full 2 story, I converted the window into a door to our master bath I added in the new space.

Our bed was in this room until last week.

This is the view into the front bedroom through the French doors. The front room is bigger than the other, but farther from the bathroom, which is why our bed was in the other side.

View attachment 844592

The door on the right goes out to the upper hall and stairs. I plan on using the originally woodwork, so I have been carefully removing and labeling it. It's always fun finding messages or other writing on the walls or trim as I take things apart. The trim over the original door to the maid's quarters had some writing in cursive. "Edwardsville, IL" was easy to make out.

View attachment 844593View attachment 844595

But I couldn't make out what was before Edwardsville.

The picture on my computer helped after a little enhancement.

View attachment 844594

I thought it said "J H Theuer". Thanks to Google, I found an obituary for a Walter William Theuer (1895-1966) from Edwardsville that was a carpenter, but he was too young. My house was built in 1902. Scrolling down on the obituary said Walter's father was "John Henry Theuer" (1859-1947). The text in the obit refers to Walter's father as "J. H." It didn't list the father's occupation, but since the son was a carpenter, I suspect the father was too.

View attachment 844596

I'll be replacing the windows, insulating the outside wall and drywalling and/or putting up more shiplap. I'd prefer to drywall, but Donna is thinking one more wall (one between the 2 bathroom doors.)

j

Wow...cool to find that history! I like that kind of stuff.....

Mom went to the ER last night. I left about 10:30. They were planning to admit her. I can see by her chart still in the ER. Her BNP is way high compared to last week. I think they are going to do an echocardiogram, but I have not seen results. Concern about her gallbladder. Her respiratory rate is high. Plus she is full of crap. I joke but not really, she needs to go but it’s not happening.

And dejavue we are supposed to leave Wednesday night for our short, rescheduled cruise.

Ian did a thing this week.

He announced a while back he wanted a new car. Not just a different car, but his first brand new car. His current car was a 2015 with only 73,000 miles on it. It was still in great shape, but he decided it was getting old. I laughed, but it's his money. He has a thing for Miatas, but was considering a Mini Clubman or Countryman for the AWD.

Last week he decided on another Miata, but this one would be an RF. It has a retractable panel over your head, but still a beam above where the rear window is. It is more closed in and solid for winter weather than a traditional soft top convertible. His current car is a retractable hardtop.

Here is the new one. This is his 4th Miata. A 2023 with 35 miles on it. He did everything on his own. Negotiated a reasonable deal, got his own financing and decided how much down payment he would give to make his payments where he wanted. This dealer wasn't interested in his current Miata as a trade. They said they would have a hard time selling it in this market, so Ian sold it back to Carvana for $3500 more than the dealer offered.

View attachment 844024

Here is the evolution of his cars.

His first. It started as a parts car for the race team. Ian bought it from the team so it wouldn't become replacement parts for the race car. This was a 1994, older than he is and was the first generation Miata (NA). It had a little engine, but handled really well on the twisties.

View attachment 844033

View attachment 844025

The 1994 was a good starter car. It leaked everything from everywhere when the team acquired it. Ian put a lot of work into fixing everything before he had a driver's license. He sold it to a friend and bought Miata #2.

View attachment 844026

This was a 2006, the first year of the 3rd generation Miatas (NC). It was a soft top and had a checkered past. Despite being shown a clean CarFax from the dealer in Kentucky, it turns out the car had been in a significant wreck when it was 6 months old. The entire left rear clip had been replaced and there was frame damage that was repaired. The car didn't have any issues, but was a pain to try to sell. Nobody would touch it with that kind of history. Fortunately/unfortunately the issue was resolved when someone pulled a right turn on red right infront of Ian and stopped to turn into a parking lot.

View attachment 844028

Nobody was hurt, but this opened the door for Miata #3, a 2015 retractable hardtop. This was the last year of the NC.

View attachment 844029

View attachment 844034

Great little car from Arizona. Low miles and great shape.

Six years later and Miata #4 joined the family. This is a 4th generation (ND) Miata. The 4th gens come as a soft top or the retractable center panel of the RF.

This one is much more up to date with technology and features found in most cars today. Bluetooth, nav, climate control, backup camera, adaptive headlights and lane and brake assist.

View attachment 844030View attachment 844031

View attachment 844032
It now has 85 miles on it and he hasn't complained about anything yet. :rotfl2:

He's pretty proud.

j
Way to go, Ian! New car ownership is something special...especially your FIRST new car. Wishing him many years of trouble-free enjoyment.

Mom went to the ER last night. I left about 10:30. They were planning to admit her. I can see by her chart still in the ER. Her BNP is way high compared to last week. I think they are going to do an echocardiogram, but I have not seen results. Concern about her gallbladder. Her respiratory rate is high. Plus she is full of crap. I joke but not really, she needs to go but it’s not happening.

And dejavue we are supposed to leave Wednesday night for our short, rescheduled cruise.
Been thinking of you and Mom. I remember my dad 'need to go but not happening'...no fun; took a hospital visit to resolve everything and it was quite concerning for a while. We sprang him from rehab a few weeks later for PAHunter and my wedding...good memories. You remain in my thoughts and prayers.

Mom situation. She has fecal impaction but no bowel obstruction. The dr says they will do an enema today and if she goes, she might go back to AL tomorrow. I think that is funny. It is going to take a few days to get that out. We are still waiting on more heart tests though. I think the echo. Then possibly see the cardiologist before she discharge. They are going to hold the lasix since her kidneys are not doing as good as they were.

Getting the dr to give me a note in case i have to use my insurance to cancel the cruise.

That's good news, Kris. Hopefully things will work themselves out (literally) and she can get back to AL. I know the cruise isn't the priority, but you deserve some time for your (and Bert's) self.

j

Last edited:
hard to believe, beyond the driving route a major eastern port is closed indefinitely till the channel is reopened. Going to have some lasting effects for sure for many and now 695 around Baltimore is the only pathway for RVs using that section of I95.

hard to believe, beyond the driving route a major eastern port is closed indefinitely till the channel is reopened. Going to have some lasting effects for sure for many and now 695 around Baltimore is the only pathway for RVs using that section of I95.
I am looking at alternatives now. The next problem is all the trucks will take 695. Before this 695 was gridlock.......decisions.. .

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter