The DIS Fit: 2019 thread. Join us in the New Hopes and Goals thread.

My take-away from what I've been reading is everyone seems to becoming much more aware of what we eat. I believe cutting out the garbage we tend to love will go a long way to reaching our goals. That combined with moving more (baby steps) we'll get there.

We are a group of differing ages and fitness levels. Each of us will have different results. The thing to keep in mind is to keep moving :dancer: :dogdance:, a little more each week/month.

Stepped on the scale this morning...and I've FINALLY dropped off the plateau I was holding at. So I'm super happy about that. It was frustrating that I was staying on point for food, getting some exercise and NOT dropping any weight.
Groceries are bought, meals are planned, a little prep done for some quick bites to eat when we are in that super hungry mode right after work. Hoping to be able to push play on some of my beach body workouts this week. EVERYTHING is a skating rink around here with our melt over the weekend ( +6 with a wind ) It's was a sloppy wet mess that has now froze up...so there is ice on every inch of sidewalk in the city. I won't even think of walking outside probably for the rest of winter. It's just too dangerous, even with extra shoe grippers. I'm sooooooooo not graceful enough to do it on the best of days :rolleyes:

Let's rock out this week!!!!!!! ::yes::

Well I did not get up in time to workout this morning but I am looking forward to getting some walking in after supper because man my child is trying at times. I got a call from the school that he had a headache and sore tummy. I said I couldn't get him right away, so they kept him. I did leave work, just in case they called again. I went to pick him up so he wouldn't have to walk in the cold. He said it's more his tummy hurts than his head, so he doesn't want to give up the screens. And of course he didn't eat his lunch or snacks, or breakfast! Honestly. I wonder why his tummy hurts and he wants dinner as soon as he walks in the door? Guess what his snacks are going to be later?

I think a nice two mile walk will do me some good. Tomorrow is supposed to be a lot of snow, again, and it's a thing at school so I should be attending that in the morning, he won't have to go to daycare but oh boy is he going to school!!

Hang in there Heather. You're older and smarter. You just need to figure out how to outsmart "him". When you mentioned about the tummy ache and OK for screen time it reminded me of a rule I had in this house when the boys were younger. No school, no screen time. Part day at school, no screen time. Now if they were home with a flu they could have some screen time when they were starting to feel better. The rule gave the boys something to think about before they decided they wanted a "mental health" day.

Your sons situation may be very different from my boys just wanting a day off every now and then so please take my two cents with a grain of salt.

Hang in there Heather. You're older and smarter. You just need to figure out how to outsmart "him". When you mentioned about the tummy ache and OK for screen time it reminded me of a rule I had in this house when the boys were younger. No school, no screen time. Part day at school, no screen time. Now if they were home with a flu they could have some screen time when they were starting to feel better. The rule gave the boys something to think about before they decided they wanted a "mental health" day.

Your sons situation may be very different from my boys just wanting a day off every now and then so please take my two cents with a grain of salt.

That is the rule here, the problem is I didn't go get him so he didn't actually get to be home sick. I know he wasn't feeling well because he didn't eat anything today. He had two big bowls of chili for supper. And he'll be getting his lunch as snacks later when he asks. Bedtime will be early tonight. I know when I was home sick I was allowed to watch TV, and I think he treats the iPad as I did the TV. The Xbox is a whole other issue. In general, he hates school, feels at 9 he knows everything he needs to and shouldn't have to go to school. Because of this when he complains in the morning that he doesn't want to go he has to either have a fever or be actually sick. Of course when he gets worried about things he actually gets sick. So. It's been a fun year so far! I have missed a lot of work, thankfully my boss is understanding and I'm able to work from home sometimes. I worry I'm making all kinds of mistakes with him, sometimes it's just too much of a fight.

I hear you. I know exactly what you're going through. Hang in there. You're not making mistakes. Those darn kids have us second guessing ourselves all the time. I still do and my boys are 22-26 years old. It never ends. My dad used to call my "morning illnesses so I didn't have to go to school" Pale Freckles. Little humour to brighten the day.

So today was a Snow stay at home day for me,,YEAH!
I was up early for some reason and ended up doing some dancing to up my step count ,,much better than shoveling snow.
Late this afternoon I went shopping at Marshalls and picked up a new 19 inch spinner suitcase.
I am going to try traveling light for my next trip BUT I found this lovely big Vegan leather bag/purse (almost as big as the suitcase) that is the bees Knees,,so just incase I need a bit more space it will come in handy. I figure if I have to I can always do a quick load of laundry.
I am now ready for the snow to go away.....!
Well off to do some laundry and step-step-step!
Hugs
Mel

What a day. I did a short walk at home this evening. Worked from home. Oh my the roads are bad! In the 10 minutes it took me to go get the kid, the plow went around, so I had to shovel to get back into the driveway. It was also garbage day so my neighbours garbage cans were at the end of their driveway, which is attached to mine, and made mine extra narrow. Kind of annoying! Any way. I am sure the plow will go around and do a better job over night so I suspect I'll have to shovel my way out in the morning again! Such is winter life in Canada I guess?

@bababear_50 Our last few trips have only been travelling light :) We use carryon only unless we are going to Disney for a week. Then I take one bag because Disney will take care of it for me :) It's possible! I did buy a shopping bag last time we were at Disney just in case we needed it for all the stuffies kiddo wanted to bring home but we managed to stuff those guys into the suitcase.

I have been giving Buzz Lightyear a good workout. I have my workout clothes in the basement ready to change into (so I don't have to run upstairs get changed then back to the basement). Trying to make it as easy as possible to do my walking. I walk the dog in the morning outside. Read my emails then I go walk for a half hour while I watch Kelly and Ryan. I watch a show just after lunch so I walk while I watch that too. That's enough for me for now but when my body adjusts to that I may add in another walk in the evening (I'll have to wait and see how it goes).

I've been trying to watch what I eat (baby steps). I had a bunch of lemons that needed to be used up so I made lemon loaves (little mini loaves, size of 2 muffins). I gave a dozen of them away so I don't eat them all. Put another bunch in the freezer so I forget they exist. Hopefully the others in this house will eat them all up before I hear them calling my name.

I hope those in and around the GTA get dug out soon. You got triple the amount we did. Stay safe and lift with your knees not your back.

Stepped on the scale this morning...and I've FINALLY dropped off the plateau I was holding at. So I'm super happy about that. It was frustrating that I was staying on point for food, getting some exercise and NOT dropping any weight.
Groceries are bought, meals are planned, a little prep done for some quick bites to eat when we are in that super hungry mode right after work. Hoping to be able to push play on some of my beach body workouts this week. EVERYTHING is a skating rink around here with our melt over the weekend ( +6 with a wind ) It's was a sloppy wet mess that has now froze up...so there is ice on every inch of sidewalk in the city. I won't even think of walking outside probably for the rest of winter. It's just too dangerous, even with extra shoe grippers. I'm sooooooooo not graceful enough to do it on the best of days :rolleyes:

Let's rock out this week!!!!!!! ::yes::

Well done Pumpkin
I have not stepped on the scale in awhile. I agree stay indoors,,,the ice and snow is just too dangerous.
You are well on your way to having a great week!
Hugs
Mel

I have been giving Buzz Lightyear a good workout. I have my workout clothes in the basement ready to change into (so I don't have to run upstairs get changed then back to the basement). Trying to make it as easy as possible to do my walking. I walk the dog in the morning outside. Read my emails then I go walk for a half hour while I watch Kelly and Ryan. I watch a show just after lunch so I walk while I watch that too. That's enough for me for now but when my body adjusts to that I may add in another walk in the evening (I'll have to wait and see how it goes).

I've been trying to watch what I eat (baby steps). I had a bunch of lemons that needed to be used up so I made lemon loaves (little mini loaves, size of 2 muffins). I gave a dozen of them away so I don't eat them all. Put another bunch in the freezer so I forget they exist. Hopefully the others in this house will eat them all up before I hear them calling my name.

I hope those in and around the GTA get dug out soon. You got triple the amount we did. Stay safe and lift with your knees not your back.
Hi Hon
Congrats on giving Buzz a spin!
I think doing two treadmill workouts a day is alot and great!
Go easy and baby steps.
Ahhhh I love lemon mini loaves.....I'd have to hide them from myself. At Christmas it was hard because I kept getting food gifts from all the kids so as soon as I got one I was like running down to the office and giving them away to the secretaries.(I did keep some starbucks gift cards).
If I have cookies or plain ripple chips in the house they become my best pal,,,I can't just eat one!
Take care on those morning doggie walks.
Hugs
Mel

Last edited:
Good Morning! I don't think I'll be walking today, we'll see how my knee feels when I get home. Not sure what I did to it, nothing I've been doing is high impact! But it's feeling swollen and sore... ugh! I'll rest it today for the most part and hopefully be back on track tomorrow. Could have been from sitting at the kitchen table working all day yesterday, it's not a comfortable chair. I didn't want to be in the basement at my desk though. The basement is dark and cold and not nice. Course the view out the kitchen window to the snow filled back yard isn't that nice either lol. I did have to shovel a bit this morning but it only took 10 minutes or so to clear the end of the driveway. The roads are better? But I am still waiting anxiously for spring :)

DH and I are back from our 2 week vacation, so I am ready to get back on the wagon. We were in Old San Juan for 4 days with lots of walking, then an 11 day cruise with lots of shore excursions. I didn't find the desserts appetizing, so I ate a lot of fresh fruit. Yeah, me! BUT, I did drink more than we normally do, so I have that to contend with. I don't get on the scale often, and it certalinly won't be for another couple of weeks.

Yesterday, we did a GrowYoungFitness foundation exercise (35 min) yesterday. He did a quick shovel, since the neighbour had plowed the driveway, so DH only had the bit at the garage door and the front porch to do. I did housework and easily got my steps in. *My steps are set at 5500 at the moment due to knee issues. It was a good day, since I accomplished a lot.

The plan for today is to do some core and knee exercises for me. Core for DH. And maybe some baking. I haven't felt like baking much, but I want to give my mom's butter tarts a try. As the mantra of GrowYoungFitness says, "Just Keep It Moving!"

Brrr...it's cold and snowy here too today! Not sure how much walking I'm going to do today. Between icy sidewalks and a mountain of work on my desk, I think I'll count today as a more restful day.

My latest project is definitely not fitness-related, but since we tend to chatter...we're starting to think pretty seriously about buying a house. So procrastination today is looking through listings. My latest favourite has two bedrooms upstairs, master on the main floor, and two more in the basement. So a kind of unusual layout, but also lots of space. I just don't know! My brain might be getting a decent workout today, if nothing else.

Brrr...it's cold and snowy here too today! Not sure how much walking I'm going to do today. Between icy sidewalks and a mountain of work on my desk, I think I'll count today as a more restful day.

My latest project is definitely not fitness-related, but since we tend to chatter...we're starting to think pretty seriously about buying a house. So procrastination today is looking through listings. My latest favourite has two bedrooms upstairs, master on the main floor, and two more in the basement. So a kind of unusual layout, but also lots of space. I just don't know! My brain might be getting a decent workout today, if nothing else.

If nothing else you're gonna get a decent workout from all the "adulting" you're doing lately! New baby, budgeting for a house, studying real-estate listing, recouping from a Disney trip and the post-trip blues that brings :P All kidding aside, just parenting a new baby is exhausting and as he grows you can consider lugging him around as a cardio work out!

Our kids are all depressed about not being able to afford to buy a house .. our son keeps thinking he's gonna manage it and then the danged market jumps again (or his wife announces she needs a new saddle, riding gear etc for the horse she bought!). Our daughter & her wife are struggling with the fact that our city has one of the highest rental costs in the province for some stupid reason and with one of them still in school full-time (not sure if our kid will ever actually just get a job!) and the other working on what seems to be a perpetual contract basis with the university (she just applied for a job in the same department that's supposed to be "real" as she called it!) they will never get ahead. They're paying more in rent for a tiny 1 bedroom basement apartment then they would for a mortgage on an entire townhouse !!!

:headache:
If nothing else you're gonna get a decent workout from all the "adulting" you're doing lately! New baby, budgeting for a house, studying real-estate listing, recouping from a Disney trip and the post-trip blues that brings :P All kidding aside, just parenting a new baby is exhausting and as he grows you can consider lugging him around as a cardio work out!

Our kids are all depressed about not being able to afford to buy a house .. our son keeps thinking he's gonna manage it and then the danged market jumps again (or his wife announces she needs a new saddle, riding gear etc for the horse she bought!). Our daughter & her wife are struggling with the fact that our city has one of the highest rental costs in the province for some stupid reason and with one of them still in school full-time (not sure if our kid will ever actually just get a job!) and the other working on what seems to be a perpetual contract basis with the university (she just applied for a job in the same department that's supposed to be "real" as she called it!) they will never get ahead. They're paying more in rent for a tiny 1 bedroom basement apartment then they would for a mortgage on an entire townhouse !!!

ugh, i get the feeling. the housing market in my city is less awful than the GTA, but it’s still rough. My parents bought their house when i was in elementary and I remember what it cost...there’s absolutely no comparison. i found one house last week that was okay. smaller
and older, but nicely maintained. in one week, the price jumped 50 000 and it still sold! :headache:

and work too... it doesn’t seem to matter what field, everything is contract positions these days. i’m doing contract work too. the money isn’t bad but the lack of security is exhausting. and awful benefits—that’s been extra rough lately. if i’m being totally honest, any time we get a little bit ahead, we usually had some family help (disney trip was a gift, we would have help getting financing on a house). so only partway adulting...

Morning! Cold out there still. There were two watermain breaks on the street I work on. It was fun getting in since they have the road blocked everywhere. No drinking water at work, wonder if they will send us home? That might be nice! Oh well... Not sure if I'll be walking this evening or not, depends on how my knee feels at the end of the day.

I decided there is no way in that very hot place that I'll be braving the extremely COLD place that is my city & Toronto at 4:45 tomorrow morning, call me a wimp, but I'm NOT doing that for a 6 minute treatment!! I'll just have to get my body moving some other way -- Blue Friday shopping perhaps :rotfl2:

We didn't turn the heat up enough in the bedroom last night and i gave up both a rude wake up call this morning -- i guess i had been sleeping curled up tightly and one of my knees froze up. SO that meant needing to fully extend it and oopsie, hubby hadn't been able to drag himself out of bed into the frigid bathroom to shower so i kicked him in the back making him sit bolt upright and yell at me which led me to screaming from the shock of not being alone -- aakk. Does the subsequent elevation in my heart rate count as exercise?!?!?

Regarding my "diet" (i hate using that word because of the negative feelings it invokes) or rather food choices: It was time to bake up some cookies for the hubby, which is super easy thanks to Max the Wonder Mixer -- i make up a double batch, scoop into balls which i freeze and then i just toss some on a cookie sheet. By the time the oven has preheated they're thawed enough to bake meaning freezer to cooling rack in under 20 minutes! BUT they're chocolate chip cookies and the nasty dietitian wants me to cut back on chocolate so i can't eat them anymore :sad: Some serious Pinteresting led me to a recipe that is (almost too) awesome -- quick, easy and full of protein & iron (seriously lacking in my food choices) -- almond butter cookies with pumpkin seeds! No flour so if anyone needs a great recipe that's gluten free, ask away!

Last edited:
I did get outside to walk the dog. Knees were a little cold when I got home. Then I did my walk on Buzz. Basement is definitely the place to do it. Cold when I start but well heated up by the time I finish. I'm not venturing outside again today, not even to the mailbox which is just across the street.

I spent the morning looking for a stupid form I have to send off to the insurance for DS. I know I had it before Christmas and it wasn't in my go to place to keep these things. For the life of me I can't find it anywhere (up and down the stairs so many times that's got to count for something). Finally decided to look on the insurance company website and sure enough I can get a copy there. Still bugs me that I can't find the original one I got.

If you like the cookies, once made, @Donald - my hero post the recipe and I'll add it to the recipe section.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter