The DIS Campers Train Thread: From Model Trains Up To The Real Thing

Yea, I am thinking cram as much as possable into the real estate I have. I did switch it around like 10x since thise pics.

Ok outside track is tested and done. Working on next inner track now. Unfortunately, a lot of testing needs to be done before securing the track. Then a bit of painting, so you have a base for the ground cover. Also, the big pita is the wiring. As you want all those things i have on the layout to work , it takes coordinating the track and activation switches. For the old school lionel stuff you need to build this into the track. So, if its not planned well, its start over. This will take some time.....

Maybe someday I'll start building some scenery and landscaping into my railroad.

Not yet, though. :teeth:

Ed

PS - when we have the DISMeet in November, it might be a good opportunity for you, me, and Spence to travel to your garage and put in a workday on your railroad.

Will-Work-For-Pizza! :banana:

To have that kind of space again! Nice Spence, looking forward to the finished layout!
A layout is never finished, thats the first rule of model rail road club. Lol. It will get to be respectable soon. Trying to place the signals, yea they will not be prototypical because you may not see them, and how to activate them is a pita. I can do , and may go with just a solid light on the crossing gates, or spend like 30 a gate to build an array of haphazard ellectronic dioad and timers to make them look real. But i. The end no one will notice but me. Its a lot to consider, $$$ and time to make the crap. Maybe, still deciding. Everything will light up when its done. But it may not be done proper.

Oh, and if you zoom in on the fire house. When activated the guy slides down the pole, the engien starts up and the door opens and it drives out. Next to the firehouse is a burning building that will smoke and have amber lights in the top flooers as well as a firefighter spraying water on it. I have no clue if they still work. So many parts, and electrical hooks ups.

Our thread title includes the phrase "... to the real thing".

So in that category, I offer up some pics of our Brightline train ride we took on our recent stay at the Fort. We rode from BL's station at MCO to West Palm Beach and back in the same day on a 50% discount offer (for both of us round-trip was $158 for the Standard tickets). It was a beautiful day, we did hit about 125mph along Hwy 528, and pretty cool. Our journey was about 2h10m each way.

Proof of 125mph. See how we are overtaking the cars in the far lanes? (this was along Hwy 528 headed back to MCO). The cars are probably doing 75-80mph.

It's not a tourist railroad. It operates to serve a segment of customers who want the conveniences it offers.

Bama Ed

PS - I should mention that the 125mph is only along the 528 parallel section. Once the train hits the Florida East Coast mainline track, it rolls 80-90mph max. It is diesel powered.

Both outer loops are done. And I ran some wire for the acessories. Deciding where to have the push buttons to activate them located. Inner loop or loops are undetermaned at this time. Additionally checked clearances, and ran a bunch of test loops, modified the grades and we are good to go. Clearance on the bridge is tight, but this is one of the larger locos I run. So, for now sucess. 20240202_192655.jpg20240201_151602.jpg20240201_151612.jpg20240201_151549.jpg20240201_151658.jpg

Those room lights off pictures with the track lights on are pretty good, Spencer. :thumbsup2 Ed

1. I ran a large manufacturing plant in Pine Bluff, Arkansas.
3 My uncle was the head mechanic at Nickel Plate Railroad repair yard in Toledo, Ohio.
3. So, as a "Train Buff", I joined the local Arkansas Railroad Museum (Cotton Belt Route).
4. I took many plant and personal friends through the museum. (Good excuse to leave the plant!)
5. Just off I-40 in Pine Bluff, Arkansas, the museum:
. . . originally was a steam engine and rail car construction factory
. . . has 17 tracks and a large switch yard
. . . has steam and diesel locos on inside display
. . . has several cars or engines always being refurbished or rehabbed by volunteers
. . . allows you to actually walk on and/or inside different cars and locos
6. If going through Arkansas stop by (open Thu-Sun, 11:00am-2:00pm)
7. One of the finest groupings of FUNCTIONING steam equipment including a 4-8-4 and a 2-6-0.
8. Many other restored cars and cabooses.
9. CHECK OUT THEIR HUGE WEBSITE.

NOTE1:
I am a member of several railroad historical societies and encourage others to promote such.
If interested in steam or diesel, helping societies preserve rail history is a must.
Among others, my rail memberships include:
. . . Carolwood Society, dedicated to Walt's love of trains (
carolwood.com)
. . . Arkansas Railroad Museum, Cotton Belt Route (
arkansasrailroadmuseum.org)
. . . Nickel Plate Railroad Historical & Technical Society (
nkphts.org)

NOTE2:
The Carolwood Society has regular meetings and activities in California and Walt's hometown.
Several DIS-MEET campers have joined (look for their names if you join).
They also have an annual "convention" at Disney World (they call each an "Un-Meeting")
. . . the next "Un-Meeting" is Sept 26-29, 2024..
. . . during a past convention, we were allowed to tour the train maintenance building
. . . unlike the normal "Train Tour", we were allowed to take photos of trains and monorails.
. . . I proudly wear my personalized Carolwood Name Badge whenever I go to WDW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter