The Dirty Dozen – 12 Days of Disney, Drinks & Dining - Updated 2/26

Love Sana’a. We didn’t go this last trip and I must admit I really missed it!
I dream about the bread service, just waiting for it to magically appear on my table, if I wish hard enough! 😆
This will be on our list for the next trip!
Casey is right about this place being very inviting!

To cap off the best day ever we fittingly had a reservation at one of the best restaurants ever: Sanaa. This has long been a favorite of ours largely due to one menu item alone…. Bread Service (shocking I know).
I think Gwen has gotten tired of me talking about the bread service....

Seriously if could eat only one thing in Disney this may well be it.
We just talked about this the other day! Andy's was homecomin but I think that was more for the moonshine than the food. Ha!

She loved it because you can pretty much guarantee Casey will love anything that contains pure sugar.
I mean what kid wouldn't... Gwen does not like carbonation.... So she looses out on most of these fun drinks.

I don’t love Whiskey but this was really good. It was nicely balanced with just a hint of citrus and smokiness but thankfully it wasn’t too sweet. I would definitely order this for myself.
That does sound new and delish!

And for anyone keeping score at home Casey’s favorite was the Tamarind Chutney.
Ha! Morgan and Gwen will eat the mango Chutney.

This was so crazy spicy I could only eat a tiny bit. Someone else should have done the same but could not help themselves. Any guesses?
ha! I will have to ask about that one! Also, I see he switched to a beer to cool off that tongue!

This was unquestionably the best entrée I’ve ever had at Sanaa.
This sounds amazing. And I feel like the specials they have are always the best thing! It's like the chefs get to take pride in that new thing. Those scallops were a special and were soooo good!

Not to be out done by her father Casey declared that her brace (which she wears for scoliosis) may explode.
How did she do with the brace the whole time in Disney? I guess by now she is so used to it, she doesn't notice as much?

Casey commented that she loves that you always feel comfortable in a Disney restaurant even if its fancy or you haven’t been there before. ❤ that kid of mine.
True and so sweet of her :lovestruc
garlic pickle and the spicy pickle.
Bahahahahaha- you said pickle twice :P

Ugh we haven't been to Sanaa in ages and that's not right! Jason's dish actually sounds like something I would order but that of course would be AFTER that bread service!

Oh my gosh we love Sanaa for the bread service mostly also. However I love a good salmon and while my go to dish is usually butter chicken (not that I ever have much room because of the bread) I may need to try that next time.

Aww, Casey. She's totally right! :) Also, love how she ordered a No Jito! I need to show Jimmy how to branch out his love for kiddie cocktails to other mocktails.

Don't revoke my DIS card, but I STILL have not tried the bread service or even been to Saana!! It's on my list, but somehow I have failed at getting us there. Definitely need to do that, but will pass on the spicy secret sauce!!

We arrived a little early and spent some time scoping out the savanna.

I love how your outfits were color coordinated…great pic!

Soon enough we were seated and Casey commented that she loves that you always feel comfortable in a Disney restaurant even if its fancy or you haven’t been there before. ❤ that kid of mine.

She's note wrong ::yes:: I like that too, Casey!

Speaking of sauces I will spare you listing them all out but my favorites were the garlic pickle and the spicy pickle. I don’t recall loving these as much previously but I guess I was pretty pickled today 🥒

:rotfl:

That all looks so good…except for that crazy spicy one! I have only been here once but I definitely need to get back!

So happy to see you have a new report started! How exciting that you finally got back to Disney and that you were able to surprise Casey! We haven't been back to Disney since the pandemic started. We did go to San Diego last month since my husband decided it was safe enough to travel (he's a physician so I go along with what he thinks regarding the pandemic). I tried to talk him into going to Disneyland instead of San Diego, but he wasn't comfortable going to a theme park yet. We have a trip booked to Disney next April. Hopefully that will happen!

Your dinner at Saana looks amazing! I have only been there once as my husband has no interest in going there. He had a conference at Disney a few years ago and my oldest daughter who was 7 at the time and I went with him. She and I went to Saana for lunch one day while he was at the conference. I don't remember what I had, but I really liked it.

You are so lucky to have a kid that will eat all the things. My daughter is 15 and is getting more adventurous with age, but my 18 year old son still eats like a toddler.
We are most definitely very lucky. As much as we love food I have no idea what we'd do if we had a picky kid.

Your meal sounds amazing. We’ve never been to Sanaa but I’d love it! Unfortunately I’m the only one in my family that would love it so I’ll probably never get to taste the awesomeness that is the bread service. Jason’s expression on sampling sauce number 10 is priceless :rotfl:
Then you'll just have to ditch the family and come with us sometime so we can all have it together :D I have no idea how Jason made it through that 10th sauce. One tiny try was enough for me. But he kept going, and going, and going...

Sanaa is a favorite here too - gimme drinks, spicy food and exotic animal watching and I'm camping for a while. Well, until they kick me out.
You said it. It really is just a perfect atmosphere with such different food and drinks. A true Disney stand-out.

I agree with Casey ... Disney restaurants are the best. And Sanaa is one of the best of the best. Like you and Oprah, I love bread and that bread service is sooooo good. I am impressed you tried the 10th sauce. I sweat just thinking about it but I'm a mild to medium spice kind of person. Very fitting end to the best day ever!
I can take a good amount of heat, but that dang 10th sauce was off the charts. My husband on the other hand knows no spicy bounds.

I dream about the bread service, just waiting for it to magically appear on my table, if I wish hard enough! 😆
This will be on our list for the next trip!
How'd that wish go? Did it appear yet? :rotfl:

My goodness that Magic Kingdom day just seemed so perfect!
It truly was. We could not have scripted a better return to Disney. Well maybe except for that whole Karen incident. But other than that :D

I think Gwen has gotten tired of me talking about the bread service....
Blasphemy. There can never be too much talking about bread service. And funny Casey is the opposite and brings it up occasionally but she never remembers the name of the restaurant so she just wants to talk about the place with all the breads and sauces.

We just talked about this the other day! Andy's was homecomin but I think that was more for the moonshine than the food. Ha!
Why am I not surprised :drinking1

ha! I will have to ask about that one! Also, I see he switched to a beer to cool off that tongue!
Apparently he did. No idea what he switched to but clearly just needed more liquid

This sounds amazing. And I feel like the specials they have are always the best thing! It's like the chefs get to take pride in that new thing. Those scallops were a special and were soooo good!
I don't recall them ever even having specials before so clearly I'm just not paying attention. But I remember how good your scallops looked and between that and this salmon I'm so with ya on the specials.

How did she do with the brace the whole time in Disney? I guess by now she is so used to it, she doesn't notice as much?
We were pretty lax about it since it was so hot. Usually she has to wear it 20 hours a day but we let her keep it off while we were in the parks and just put it back on when we got back to the room. We were worried since we did this for a while but she just had xrays and got a new brace last week and her curve is holding steady which is all we ask for.

Bahahahahaha- you said pickle twice :P
Think that's anything like Beetlejuice and if I say it 3 times a pickle will appear 🥒

Ugh we haven't been to Sanaa in ages and that's not right! Jason's dish actually sounds like something I would order but that of course would be AFTER that bread service!
I so wish the lounge was bigger so you could get in easily and just have bread service. Everything else is so good too but that dang bread is really all ya need.

Oh my gosh we love Sanaa for the bread service mostly also. However I love a good salmon and while my go to dish is usually butter chicken (not that I ever have much room because of the bread) I may need to try that next time.
I usually get the butter chicken or one of the other stews but was very happy I branched out. The potjie stuff is always so good but can be a little spicy for Casey so this was the perfect combo between great flavors and just a hint of spice.

Oh how I love the bread service at Sanaa. I think I was drooling a bit on my keyboard.
I'll be sure to send a mop so you can clean that up :rotfl:

What a perfect cap to the perfect day :goodvibes
It truly was. We seriously could have left after just this one day and have been satisfied. Of course we didn't but :earboy2:

Aww, Casey. She's totally right! :) Also, love how she ordered a No Jito! I need to show Jimmy how to branch out his love for kiddie cocktails to other mocktails.
We have to get those kids of ours together some time so they can branch out together. Casey gets tired of the same ole stuff so she is thrilled when they have "special" drinks for kids. We went out last weekend for our anniversary and she had some sort of crazy lavender cocktail.

Don't revoke my DIS card, but I STILL have not tried the bread service or even been to Saana!! It's on my list, but somehow I have failed at getting us there. Definitely need to do that, but will pass on the spicy secret sauce!!
How have you not been to Sanaa???? I won't revoke the DIS card but only on the promise that we can hopefully have this together some time. So sad we're missing you by just a few weeks in December.

I love how your outfits were color coordinated…great pic!
Clearly intentional cause ya know that's how I roll :earboy2:

That all looks so good…except for that crazy spicy one! I have only been here once but I definitely need to get back!
Yes you do!!!! I hear someone has a birthday in December :D

So happy to see you have a new report started! How exciting that you finally got back to Disney and that you were able to surprise Casey!
Thank you!!! We were so thrilled to be back.

We did go to San Diego last month since my husband decided it was safe enough to travel (he's a physician so I go along with what he thinks regarding the pandemic). I tried to talk him into going to Disneyland instead of San Diego, but he wasn't comfortable going to a theme park yet. We have a trip booked to Disney next April. Hopefully that will happen!
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. It's so dang hard to navigate this crazy world we live in. Though lucky for you to have a dr to guide you. We were really nervous about going but thankfully in the end felt very comfortable.

Your dinner at Saana looks amazing! I have only been there once as my husband has no interest in going there. He had a conference at Disney a few years ago and my oldest daughter who was 7 at the time and I went with him. She and I went to Saana for lunch one day while he was at the conference. I don't remember what I had, but I really liked it.
Sanaa is such a great spot for lunch. We've only done lunch once or twice I think and I'm not sure why. The menu is a little different and includes some things you can't get at dinner (like samosas). Plus the animals are usually much more active so its a great time to go.

She's Gonna Explode

To cap off the best day ever we fittingly had a reservation at one of the best restaurants ever: Sanaa. This has long been a favorite of ours largely due to one menu item alone…. Bread Service (shocking I know). Seriously if could eat only one thing in Disney this may well be it. But I’m getting ahead of myself.

We arrived a little early and spent some time scoping out the savanna.

Soon enough we were seated and Casey commented that she loves that you always feel comfortable in a Disney restaurant even if its fancy or you haven’t been there before. ❤ that kid of mine.

Speaking of said child in the beverage department she ordered a No Jito which is Lime Juice, Pure Cane Sugar, and Mint topped with Soda Water.

She loved it because you can pretty much guarantee Casey will love anything that contains pure sugar.

Jason needed some Yes in his Jito so he got the Whiskey Breeze, with Jack Beam Black Extra-aged Bourbon, Cointreau, and Lime Juice with flavors of Guava and Mango.

I don’t love Whiskey but this was really good. It was nicely balanced with just a hint of citrus and smokiness but thankfully it wasn’t too sweet. I would definitely order this for myself.

Boring old me just got a Pinot Noir.

It tasted like Pinot Noir.

But moving on to the not boring department we of course started with the Bread Service.
View attachment 604120
Yes Oprah, we all do.

Up first is the glorious bread. We always order this with regular naan vs. all of the flavored ones so the bread doesn’t overwhelm the sauces.

Speaking of sauces I will spare you listing them all out but my favorites were the garlic pickle and the spicy pickle. I don’t recall loving these as much previously but I guess I was pretty pickled today 🥒

And for anyone keeping score at home Casey’s favorite was the Tamarind Chutney.

We had heard that there was a secret 10th sauce you could order so of course we had to go that route. I didn’t catch what it was called so we’ll go with Valley of Death.

This was so crazy spicy I could only eat a tiny bit. Someone else should have done the same but could not help themselves. Any guesses?

He was literally sweating from this stuff.

This was as close to the secret spicy 10th sauce that Casey choose to get.

After all that bread I’m not really sure we needed anything else, but feeling compelled Casey and I shared the Fish of the Day which was Salmon served with Yellow Rice, Sukama Wiki, and Citrus Butter.

This was unquestionably the best entrée I’ve ever had at Sanaa. The salmon was cooked a perfect medium rare and was accented well by the citrus butter and just a hint of cinnamon. The Sukama Wiki, which was collard greens and tomatoes, was absolutely divine with just a hint of spice and turmeric flavor. As good as the salmon was I would have been happy with just the greens.

Jason ordered the African-inspired Biryani with Chicken

Like my dish Jason said he didn’t even need the chicken because the rice was the real star. He of course ate said chicken, which was a bit dry, but he didn’t care because the aromatic and flavorful rice was perfect.

At some point we called Uncle but the damage was already done. Jason said he was so full he could feel it in his chest. Not to be out done by her father Casey declared that her brace (which she wears for scoliosis) may explode. So Sanaa is a great spot with fabulous food, but consider yourself warned in the explosion department.

Despite all of this we still ordered some dessert to go

This is the African Triple chocolate mousse with Nyangbo Dark Chocolate from Ghana, Tanariva Milk Chocolate from Madagascar, Orelys Blond Chocolate, Chocolate Almond Biscuit, and Strawberries. This looked and sounded divine but in the end was pretty blah. The flavors were all a bit muted and the strawberries ended up overpowering the chocolate flavor. But did I mention we loved the bread?

Up next, we rise but do we resist?
It's funny reading your review of your meals, and how both you and your husband felt the stars of the dishes were the non meat parts. That's how I felt for years before I started just eating vegetarian. If you are at a good restaurant, the "sides" can actually be the tastiest parts. At a staff dinner one time, I remember everyone got their chicken/beef dishes, and I of course ordered whatever the vegetarian dish was. It was divine and the presentation was interesting too. Everyone wanted to try a bit, so I doled out a taste and their eyes lit up.... oooooo "I wish I had ordered that", was all I kept hearing.
Sanaa is one of our family's favourites as well. We have meat eaters and veggies in our family and everyone loves their meals here. AND we always feel like we are going to explode, and get dessert to go. Next time we are going to try the secret 10th sauce, my son loves to test his spice meter. Can't wait to go back.

Surprise!!! It's Disney Day again. In approximately 5 hours we will be wheels up leaving DC and heading to our own personal Mecca. I'm a little more nervous about covid this time around but we've been monitoring Florida and Orange County covid rates and thankfully everything is on a significant decline. Plus this is a quick trip focused on relaxing and pool time at our beloved Wilderness Lodge (props to @CruellaNY for hooking us up).

Only park time we have planned is for the Boo Bash. Casey planned our matching costumes so stay tuned for that. Here's a hint they are an ode to one of her favorite attractions and its thankfully not the pooper 💩 I don't plan on doing a dining report but will post a quick recap when we get back. Until then here's a little more from our June trip..

Hooray for Hollywood

Day 3 of the trip was the first of 3 planned days in MGM. It is not a big surprise that I do not love this park, but we had yet to ride rise of the resistance and wanted to make sure we had plenty of chances to get a boarding group.

So just before dawn I mean at 7am (which is my favorite time to wake up on vacation) Jason and I were at the ready and....

Success!

Eventually we got moving and walked to MGM. I'd say it was about a mile or so and just about every time walking was faster than a boat.

Someone was excited to ride Mickey and Minnie's Railway for the first time, though she is still bitter about the loss of her beloved shooting lady ride.

But wouldn't ya know it after we waited about 30 minutes and were just about to go in the dang ride broke down. We wanted to just wait for it to come back up but they wouldn't let us because it's a fire hazard :confused3 But they did give us a FP to come back later.

So instead we flew through a galatic galaxy, traveled back in time to 1990 with a frog and a pig, and did some shopping because wait times at MGM were NOT what we'd encountered the day prior. Eventually we did get to use our FP for Mickey and Minnie and I gotta say we loved it much more than I ever thought we would. I mean its no Sigourney Weaver saving the world, but a pretty fun experience nonetheless.

After that it was time for reservation #1,013 of the trip - Hollywood Brown Derby. I couldn't get a reservation at Jason's beloved SciFi and this was the only alternative we could settle on.

The restaurant had just opened so we were seated quickly and before too long drinks were at the table.

I got some kind of Pear Cocktail that I cannot find on the menu now, but I recall it had pear vodka, tequila, cilantro, and strawberries which sounds like a terrible combination but it was really, really good.

Jason went a safer direction and had a Jai Lai, which is his go to WDW beer.

And last, but certainly not least, Casey got a watermelon and sprite cocktail that she loved.

And of course her father commented how much better it would be with some rum in it!

As we sipped our cocktails, Casey requested we start with the Tuna Carpacio appetizer because this girl was jonesing for some serious sushi. I apparently forgot to take a photo so thank you to random Trip Advisor user for your contribution to my dining report.

I don' think this is exactly what we had as ours was served nicoise style with Kalamata olive toast, quail egg, and peppercorn aioli. This was decent but not great. The olives over powered the tuna a bit and the tuna itself was definitely under seasoned. And like every other side of toast known to man there wasn't enough of that to go around.

For our entrees we were very boring and got two Cobb Salads to share.

I'm sure everyone has seen the deliciousness that is the famous brown derby salad made of Spit-roasted Turkey, Bacon, Egg, Tomatoes, Blue Cheese, Avocado, Classic Dressing.

But have you seen it tossed by a professional.

Or how about eaten by one

Make note he available for hire for your next salad experience.

This was a super quick lunch but the delicious salads and drinks certainly hit the spot. I wish they would open the Hollywood Brown Derby Lounge back up because that is my preferred spot here, but we were happy to sit and escape the heat for a bit.

Up next we finally rise and another big surprise

Someone was excited to ride Mickey and Minnie's Railway for the first time, though she is still bitter about the loss of her beloved shooting lady ride.
Jimmy shares Casey's sentiment! He was a big fan of the Great Movie Ride, and insists he won't ride MMRR when we are there in December. I told him it was that or Rock'n Rollercoaster. We'll see who wins ;)

And of course her father commented how much better it would be with some rum in it!
He's not wrong there!!!

I'm bummed we'll be missing you guys in December, too, but someday we will have our Dis Meet and introduce our kids :) Have a terrific trip! I'm super jealous today is a Disney Day for you!!! Lounging poolside sounds like perfection at the moment!

Surprise!!! It's Disney Day again. In approximately 5 hours we will be wheels up leaving DC and heading to our own personal Mecca.

Wow!! So excited for you that you get to go back again so soon!!

But wouldn't ya know it after we waited about 30 minutes and were just about to go in the dang ride broke down. We wanted to just wait for it to come back up but they wouldn't let us because it's a fire hazard :confused3 But they did give us a FP to come back later.

Ugh what a bummer!! So glad you got to go back later and ride. I still have yet to see this one in action.

But have you seen it tossed by a professional.

I love that they give you a giant bowl so there is room for tossing. I hate when you have this great salad and there's no room to mix it all up without making a huge mess!

We were worried since we did this for a while but she just had xrays and got a new brace last week and her curve is holding steady which is all we ask for.
That is good NEWS!!!!

Surprise!!! It's Disney Day again. In approximately 5 hours we will be wheels up leaving DC and heading to our own personal Mecca. I'm a little more nervous about covid this time around but we've been monitoring Florida and Orange County covid rates and thankfully everything is on a significant decline.
Lucky!!!!! That will be a nice little get away. Hopefully Florida keeps going down!

So just before dawn I mean at 7am (which is my favorite time to wake up on vacation) Jason and I were at the ready and....
At least you could do it in your room and not in the park. I am REALLY glad that got rid of that!

Eventually we did get to use our FP for Mickey and Minnie and I gotta say we loved it much more than I ever thought we would. I mean its no Sigourney Weaver saving the world, but a pretty fun experience nonetheless.
I am looking forward to riding this! I think we will love it. I know not everything can be AMAZING!!!

As we sipped our cocktails, Casey requested we start with the Tuna Carpacio appetizer because this girl was jonesing for some serious sushi.
Love Casey for this! I am working on Gwen and every time I think I make a break thru she regresses! She will eat Guacamole now... baby steps.

Have a brilliant trip. So kind of you to celebrate my birthday in Disney for me. I on the other hand will celebrate here in rainy Belfast by praying to the sun gods to at least make it dry up so we can walk to the restaurant for dinner tonight so that all the adults can enjoy cocktails and I won’t feel like such a lonely lush :rotfl: In saying that the boy turns 24 today and assured me at 6.30 am this morning that he would be cocktailing with me so the party is on 🥳🎉🍸
Seriously though, have a great time lounging and eating and I am so happy for Casey that the Boo Bash is a go! Safe travels

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter