• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The dark side of ventilators

Status
Not open for further replies.

BabybetterDisney

DIS Veteran
Ventilators save lives, but there's a terrible price to pay for using them. I feel that most people should try to be mentally prepared by reading about the downside of using a ventilator. Here is a free Washington Post article about it:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/04/03/coronavirus-survivors-recovery/
It's a scary article, so please only read as much as you can handle at a time, and perhaps come up with a plan on how you would deal with such a thing if, God forbid, it happens to you.

I am going to have DH record reading encouraging passages of the Bible on the computer, then play it day and night in a loop while I'm there. That's what I did during my 4 drug free child birth, and it really helped: it didn't reduce the pain, but it helped me relax and be less panicky. But then, he was right next to me.

Ventilators save lives, but there's a terrible price to pay for using them. I feel that most people should try to be mentally prepared by reading about the downside of using a ventilator. Here is a free Washington Post article about it:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/04/03/coronavirus-survivors-recovery/
It's a scary article, so please only read as much as you can handle at a time, and perhaps come up with a plan on how you would deal with such a thing if, God forbid, it happens to you.

I am going to have DH record reading encouraging passages of the Bible on the computer, then play it day and night in a loop while I'm there. That's what I did during my 4 drug free child birth, and it really helped: it didn't reduce the pain, but it helped me relax and be less panicky. But then, he was right next to me.

I feel like I need to say this but will get points but here it goes....please stop posting this stuff then using the Bible that way. Promoting panic and then asking God to give you peace is like asking him to give peace to a leaky bucket. Turn off the news, stop posting nonsense and if you really want peace look exclusively at your bible and nothing else because you obviously dont have the peace that can sustain doing both.

My son is an ICU nurse taking care of covid patients on ventilators.
There are 90 patients on vents and he hopes they don't run out this weekend.
I myself have been on a vent twice so I asked him some questions last night.
They are drugging everyone up to the max. This is because the doctors in some covid units are practicing beyond their scope and wouldn't know how to reintubate a person quickly if they pull out the tube.
If the tube is pulled out they must call anesthesia and by that time the person has probably expired.
Just trying to turn these patients is dangerous.
He has the big spacesuit mask.
He feels bad the families can't be there. The doctors call the family and he says they don't give the best reports.
Everyone is just trying to get through their shift and help the patients survive.

What is the point in fear mongering? Of course being on a ventilator is horrible and most people are doing everything they can to keep the numbers as low as possible.

But the truth is that a very tiny percentage of Americans will actually catch this. (yes I know the numbers will be large - but as a percentage it will still be small) and an even smaller percentage will end up hospitalized and on a vent.

Could it happen to anyone? Sure, but statistically will it likely happen to most people reading here? No.

So we can stay home and do our part, but constantly trying to up the ante and make people freak out is completely unnecessary.

Absolutely, but people keep saying let's just live with the virus. We can't stay on lockdown. If that happens they need to be prepared for this in their future.
You realize the vast, VAST majority of people who get this don't need a ventilator, right? I really wish people would stop acting like everyone who gets this is going to die. Yes, I realize it's serious but some people act like we're all doomed.

I had to block this person. They were scaring me, and I don't need any more fear than I already have, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter