The Current Disneyland Annual Pass Program Has Been Cancelled

BadPinkTink

Republic of Ireland is not part of UK
https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/story/2021-01-14/disney-annual-pass-disneyland
Disneyland and the Disney California Adventure theme park, closed for nearly a year because of the COVID-19 pandemic, are ending their annual pass program as we know it.

The popular multi-tiered ticketing system, which shifted the culture of the two Anaheim theme parks in a way that it became a daily, weekly or monthly hangout for many Southern Californians, is being axed — or “sunsetted,” to use the terminology of Disneyland Resort President Ken Potrock. The annual pass program will eventually be replaced with new membership offerings, he said.

Potrock offered no timeline on the latter, citing the unpredictability of the current environment, in which a surge in coronavirus cases grips Southern California.

In ending the current annual pass program — refunds will be given automatically to those who paid for days beyond the parks’ closure last March — Disney is seeking to solve the challenge of managing a reduced, reservation-only capacity when California health officials let the parks reopen.

But it’s hitting its most dedicated and loyal fans with an avalanche of uncertainty. Although Disney does not release attendance figures, the annual pass program has long been believed to hover around seven figures. Those fans who have been wanting and expecting a “Disneyland fix” now face the prospect of no longer being given priority access when the park reopens, and holding their breath to see how the re-imagined membership program will look.

A replacement for the annual pass program is not expected to be implemented until the pandemic recedes enough for the Disneyland Resort to welcome guests at or near its pre-COVID-19 levels of attendance. Potrock emphasized that, long-term, he believes this move will be a “silver lining” of the pandemic, allowing Disney to shape a program can be better suited to still-unknown financial realities of many of Disneyland’s fans, while also potentially having more flexible tiers for those who don’t necessarily consider themselves park regulars.

annual pass.jpg

Our timing for finally breaking down and getting annual passes was impeccable. At least we got one trip out of them before the parks closed last year. Sigh..

Its sad, but I get it. They need to manage capacity when they open back up and having over a million people with passes isnt going to work. I would think their new offerings will be similar to the flex pass where you need to make reservations, but we wont get that until 2022 is my guess.

It's a bummer, but it's understandable. Just look how difficult the park pass system has been in Florida with 4 parks and far fewer passholders.

We know that they need pass holders to survive, so I look forward to giving whatever new memberships they come up with a fair chance.

I think the good news is that the restrictions for California are so much more stringent than Florida that, by the time Disneyland finally does reopen, vaccine distribution will be far along and the "day tickets only" period won't last more than a year.

Never been an AP but always wanted to be able to be one. I don’t know what other choice they had with the parks coming up on a year closed. It probably just made more sense to cancel everyone and when the time is right move forward with something new.

We know that they need pass holders to survive, so I look forward to giving whatever new memberships they come up with a fair chance.
Yea that’s the real key. I had the flex pass and absolutely loved it. If their solution is similar then all good. I think so cal pass is gone, and really I’m surprised it lasted as long as it did. Deluxe also probably gone.

My fear is that they end up just neutering flex pass with blackout days and keeping premier. No middle ground for people like me who are willing to pay the middle ground 5-600 option.

I'm sure they will have some kind of annual pass program once things get back to normal - it may look different than today's offerings, but I'm sure there will be something.

I am good with this. We are/were APs a few years ago and then this year (of course). I think the biggest hit will be those Southern CA grandfathered in with their APs in the lower brackets that were discontinued a while ago but they got to keep since they were grandfathered in... some parking perks, and special calendars for Southern CA residents. Will be interesting to see what happens. Hoping it makes going more bearable then it had been the last couple years when it was severly over packed.

Just got this email from Disney.

Dear Annual Passholder,

For nearly four decades, our Annual Passport program has been an important part of connecting with some of our most valued Guests. We are incredibly honored and grateful for that legacy, and the memories and magical moments you have helped us create over the years.
It’s because you’ve played such an important part in the history of the Disneyland Resort that I personally wanted to share this news with you. In the next several days, we will begin the process of issuing appropriate refunds for eligible Disneyland Resort Annual Passports and sunsetting the current Annual Passport program due to the continued uncertainty of the pandemic and limitations and expected restrictions around the reopening of our theme parks.

I know that sunsetting the Annual Passport program will be disappointing to many of our Passholders who are just as anxious as we are to reopen our gates and welcome Guests back when the time is right. But we are also very excited about what’s ahead. We plan to use this time while we remain closed to develop new membership offerings that will utilize consumer insights to deliver choice, flexibility and value for our biggest fans. Once we have more information to share about future membership offerings, our Passholders will be the first to hear from us as we embark on this next chapter.

Annual Passholders who held active Passports as of March 14, 2020 will continue to receive applicable discounts, based on their Passport type, on merchandise and food & beverages at select Downtown Disney District and Buena Vista Street locations, until new membership offerings are announced. As an added benefit, starting January 18 through February 25, 2021, these Passholders will receive a 30% discount on select merchandise at select locations in Downtown Disney District and Buena Vista Street, Monday through Thursday. For more details, visit Disneyland.com/APSpecialOffers. We also encourage you to stay connected with the Disneyland Annual Passholders Facebook page as we plan to continue our Annual Passport communication and digital content with more special opportunities to come, until new membership offerings are announced.

A pro rata refund will be issued for your Passport, if you are entitled to one. We are committed to processing refunds as diligently and as quickly as possible. A separate confirmation email will be sent once any applicable pro rata refund has been processed. Please visit Disneyland.com/PassportRefund for more information.

While I have not had the chance to engage with many of you since assuming my Disneyland role in May of last year, I do want to thank you for your understanding during this challenging and unprecedented time. We are incredibly optimistic about our bright future – and look forward to you being part of it.

Again, thank you for your loyalty over the years and your continued support.

Ken Potrock
President
Disneyland Resort

Last edited:
Hey all, just a friendly reminder to keep this thread kind and gentle! So far so good, but I fear this could get out of hand. We will be monitoring it closely so please keep on topic and in a nice manner!

Thanks everyone!

I am vacillating between absolutely crushed and optimistic that the new membership offerings will be a better way forward. Pre pandemic, the parks were out of control crowded too much of the time. I have long advocated for the elimination of the lower tier passes. I have a feeling when the new program is unveiled, if you want to be a daily or several times weekly visitor, it will cost you a pretty penny.

For us, personally, no price will be too high, and we will pay whatever they ask for access similar to what we had with the Signature pass. It's a mental health thing for us, and there is no ceiling on what we will pay. For now, we will take our $3000 refund and earmark it towards day tickets when the park opens.

I'm from Canada so not speaking from experience but to me this just makes sense from a business point of view. An average annual passholder is maybe paying $25 bucks a day while someone on the day passes is paying over 100. If they can even get 75% of the people with daily passes they double their income! I've heard the arguement about food, etc but I bet daily pass people spend way more a day on average as well. To me, it just makes sense! Now if I lived close I would be super annoyed, but from a business point of view it just makes sense to use this pandemic time to recalabrate.

I'm so bummed! I kept counting on being able to go back and enjoy the rest of my year! I bought my AP when I went in late January and of course everything shut down mid-March. Oh well. Guess I'll use my refund to go to WDW!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter