The condition of VWL

AndreaA

DIS Veteran
Hi!

We are booked to stay for a week at the VWL in September and I've been all happy and cheerful about that, especially when we got free dining. We stayed at a club level suite in the main lodge last year and loooooved it.

Now I KNOW that the state of the villas will not be up to the level of the lodge, but I'm a little worried, based on some reviews I've read, that it is downright shabby. Cracked tiles, torn sofas, no plates/utensils/cookware in the kitchen.

So what's the truth?? Should I be looking into transferring to the BLT (and giving up free dining) or even a club level room at the Poly?

Hi!

We are booked to stay for a week at the VWL in September and I've been all happy and cheerful about that, especially when we got free dining. We stayed at a club level suite in the main lodge last year and loooooved it.

Now I KNOW that the state of the villas will not be up to the level of the lodge, but I'm a little worried, based on some reviews I've read, that it is downright shabby. Cracked tiles, torn sofas, no plates/utensils/cookware in the kitchen.

So what's the truth?? Should I be looking into transferring to the BLT (and giving up free dining) or even a club level room at the Poly?

I spent a few nights there in January and I wouldn't be too worried. I've never stayed at the main lodge, but I didn't experience any torn anything, cracked anything, or missing anything. The bathroom was a bit dirtier than other places I've stayed on property, but I wouldn't call it dirty. It was just the two of us in a studio and we didn't have any complaints.

I did think BWV was nicer, but part of that is just because I like lighter colors and overall brightness. WL is my favorite property on site, and WLV, in my book, is a solid way to experience it.

If one looks critically at any resort, flaws can be found on any given day or week. As an owner at VWL, naturally I love the place, but even I will admit that the resort could use some freshening (which they have accomplished in some rooms and hallways). Usually, when visitors write something negative about VWL rooms it's due to the general ambience of darker theming and colors which, if you're a fan of a resort such as BCV, is an understandable comment. Once folks decide that the theming doesn't fit their tastes, it becomes easier to find fault with a loose tile there or a scratched table here. Human nature. Still, I've never been in a room that was dirty, or had a torn couch, or was missing dishes, or any other major issues. Does it happen? So I've heard. . .but I've read similar comments about every other resort at WDW. I wouldn't worry. ;)

On the flip side, VWL is such a serene and calming resort. Walk to FW via the nature trail or bike along the paved path that connects the two resorts. Rent a boat. Sit on the beach. Enjoy family movie nights (after s'mores at the campfire). Watch the geyser go off. Grab a drink at the Trout Pass Pool bar at the main pool. Hunt for Hidden Mickeys (there's a hint sheet at the customer service desk). Ask for ketchup at Whispering Canyon Café. Stand in awe of the architecture. Enjoy the normally quiet Hidden Springs pool and hot tub near the Villas. Dine at Artist Point. Sit on the beach at night to watch EWP (and some of the higher explosions of Wishes). Walk around the grounds at night and watch the lamps flicker and the crickets chirrup (I don't care if they're piped in or not). Enjoy the majestic music permeating the Lodge, indoor and out. Sit in the main Lodge and watch people come in to the lobby for the first time. There are many fun experiences to be had at WL/VWL. I'm sure you'll enjoy it immensely. :thumbsup2 (I know you've been to WL before, but all these things bear repeating!)

I had read many of the complaints about "run down rooms" before our visit in Dec of 2011 and they had me a bit concerned.

While there I noticed one cracked tile in our bathroom along the floor where the sliding privacy door to the toilet area had cracked into the wall/tile one too many times. Would it be nice if it was repared? Yes, but was not really that big of deal. Other than that, all the reports of being run down seemed greatly exaggerated... at least for the room we were in.

Mousekeeping was great and responded to our needs when we called.

We loved our stay at the VWL!

If one looks critically at any resort, flaws can be found on any given day or week. As an owner at VWL, naturally I love the place, but even I will admit that the resort could use some freshening (which they have accomplished in some rooms and hallways). Usually, when visitors write something negative about VWL rooms it's due to the general ambience of darker theming and colors which, if you're a fan of a resort such as BCV, is an understandable comment. Once folks decide that the theming doesn't fit their tastes, it becomes easier to find fault with a loose tile there or a scratched table here. Human nature. Still, I've never been in a room that was dirty, or had a torn couch, or was missing dishes, or any other major issues. Does it happen? So I've heard. . .but I've read similar comments about every other resort at WDW. I wouldn't worry. ;)

On the flip side, VWL is such a serene and calming resort. Walk to FW via the nature trail or bike along the paved path that connects the two resorts. Rent a boat. Sit on the beach. Enjoy family movie nights (after s'mores at the campfire). Watch the geyser go off. Grab a drink at the Trout Pass Pool bar at the main pool. Hunt for Hidden Mickeys (there's a hint sheet at the customer service desk). Ask for ketchup at Whispering Canyon Café. Stand in awe of the architecture. Enjoy the normally quiet Hidden Springs pool and hot tub near the Villas. Dine at Artist Point. Sit on the beach at night to watch EWP (and some of the higher explosions of Wishes). Walk around the grounds at night and watch the lamps flicker and the crickets chirrup (I don't care if they're piped in or not). Enjoy the majestic music permeating the Lodge, indoor and out. Sit in the main Lodge and watch people come in to the lobby for the first time. There are many fun experiences to be had at WL/VWL. I'm sure you'll enjoy it immensely. :thumbsup2 (I know you've been to WL before, but all these things bear repeating!)
I second this!!
IMO, The Villas part of WL is even better than the rooms in WL. We stayed in the Main area once, it was nice, but couldnt wait to move to the Villas. Go with positive thoughts and your exp. will probably be a good one.
We were at OKW last week, and I can pick out things that need repair, etc., but like VWL, the peacefulness and serenity of the whole exp. far outweigh the little things, just like all other DVC resorts.

I just stayed at VWL for the first time during the second week of May. We were in a 2 BR. I have stayed at all of the DVC resorts except AKV and BCV. VWL is my new favorite. The room was clean. The soft goods - curtains, carpet, sofa, etc. looked fine. However, the wood furniture in the living room, some cabinets in the kitchen, and the kitchen tile looked a little beat up. Not a big deal, but they should be replaced. Certainly nothing I would change my travel plans over.

We stayed in a 2 bdr @ VWL in January and the only issue was that the night light on the microwave over the stove wasn't working. We love VWL!

I think we found more cosmetic damage to the BLT one bedroom we stayed in last Octobe than the two bedroom VWL we stayed in for the marathon in January. We had zero problems with our VWL villa.

I think we found more cosmetic damage to the BLT one bedroom we stayed in last Octobe than the two bedroom VWL we stayed in for the marathon in January. We had zero problems with our VWL villa.

I agree, we stay at VWL every Dec (although moved our trip this year to GFV!) And our room in VWL was as nice as always. I think because it has a woodsier feel that most people think that dark means dirty, which is not the case. We LOVE VWL and look forward to our stay in Oct. Especially because of how serene it is.

Now we stayed at BLT in January and was very disappointed in how run down it looked with the fact that it is only a couple years old. The furniture looked cheap and dinged up. I loved the view from our room and the bar upstairs, but sadly, the room didn't stack up. We might stay there occasionally, but not top on our list.

We also had a ton of cosmetic damage in a 1bedroom last Thanksgiving at BLT, but never a problem at VWL.

Was also there in January and was not disappointed. Remember that the rooms are meant to be rustic looking...and as mentioned above, the rooms are darker.

The villas are great! Its like being at the lodge, but better since it is quieter and closer to the bus stop.

I just returned from a 10 day stay earlier this month. We spent the first 7 nights at VWL (2 studios) and the last 2 nights in a 1 BR at BLT. Both experiences were fantastic, and I have no major complaints regarding condition of either property. I will say the 1 BR at BLT had more visible damage than the VWL studios. A large portion of the glass backsplash in the kitchen was cracked, the overhead light in the main bathroom was out upon arrival (broken, not just a light bulb), and the sleeper couch had some miles on it. Once again, nothing major, but as compared to VWL, we found nothing to gripe about in either studio that wouldn’t fall under “normal wear and tear”.

Personally, I think VWL gets a bad wrap for a few reasons. Firstly, the rooms and the resort itself are darker in both color and general ambient lighting than the other resorts. For many people, darker can often be associated with “dirty or dingy”, but in actuality, it’s part of the resort’s theme. Secondly, being tucked away in the woods behind the main lodge, you don’t get the “grand facade” that you experience when pulling up to say BLT or the future VGF. This makes the VWL seem less impressive than it really is, but for me, it all blends together with the main lodge (you share all of the same amenities, the grand lobby, pool, etc.). Lastly, being the smallest of the DVC resorts by a great margin, it just doesn’t get the traffic of the other resorts. The lack of bustling activity might lead some to believe that it’s just not “up to par” with the others, as you never feel like the resort is anywhere near capacity. However, I tried to pull some strings to see if I could spend the last 2 nights at VWL rather than moving to BLT, and was told the resort was at 98% capacity. I couldn’t believe it, as the resort felt so peaceful and empty and being in such a quiet season, but there was just no availability to be had. The main lodge, by contrast, was only at 68%. While some might view the lack of traffic as a negative, for me, it is half the appeal and adds to the relaxed, quiet atmosphere that makes VWL so appealing.

In my opinion, VWL is part of the best resort on property and makes for one heck of a DVC experience. I’m almost glad that it might be perceived as “less impressive” than other DVC resorts, as it makes VWL feel like a hidden gem for those of us that can look past the perceived short-comings.

We stayed at VWL in February for 10 nights and loved it! Prior to purchasing DVC in 2010 we stayed at WL three times. I shared your concerns prior to our stay at VWL but it was unfounded. The room was in great condition (they were actually changing out furniture while we were there) Nothing was worn...unlike when we stayed at the Beach Club in April 2012...we had a cabinet above the sink come unhinged and the blow dryer blew up!

Don't worry...you'll enjoy!

All of these replies make me feel MUCH better. Phew!!

Now if only they could get around to doing the triple sheeting before September... :)

As a VWL owner my opinion is a bit subjective but I just stayed in a one bedroom in March and a studio before that in December and January and the rooms were all in good condition. Does it need an update-yes but it is still my favorite resort. And what is triple sheeting?

As a VWL owner my opinion is a bit subjective but I just stayed in a one bedroom in March and a studio before that in December and January and the rooms were all in good condition. Does it need an update-yes but it is still my favorite resort. And what is triple sheeting?

Bottom and top sheet as normal. Then a blanket covered with another sheet. Bed scarf thrown at the foot of the bed. No bedspread. Sheets are laundered between guests and replaced whenever you have full service as a member.

Bottom and top sheet as normal. Then a blanket covered with another sheet. Bed scarf thrown at the foot of the bed. No bedspread. Sheets are laundered between guests and replaced whenever you have full service as a member.

OK so gotta ask - what DVC Resorts have triple sheeting (no bedspreads)?

Nope, BLT has a duvet. A damn pain in the butt duvet. Currently none of the WDW resorts have triple sheeting. That is supposed to start in 2014.

Lol. I have a duvet on my bed at nome and while it looks good, it's more of a pain than it's worth.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter