• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Cars Land Wide Right Technique: How to be one of the first 20 people on RSR w/MM

My DS is 40 and a half inches without shoes (when measured at home in the morning.) I'm pretty sure he'll get to ride RSR by our trip in July, but I'm trying to figure out if we should do wide right or just get FP. I remember from our trip in Sept that the measuring stick is to the left of the line up. Are they pretty quick about measuring kids, or will 50+ people be getting into the lineup while DS is being measured? I'm assuming that if DH and DD get into the line while DS is being measured, others in the line won't happily let us pass them to catch up with our family.

It is hard to say on a particular day how fast they will be at measuring. I have seen days when they seemed to be on top of it, measuring quickly. But all it takes is one family to start arguing or a meltdown to slow the whole thing down. It is definitely easier to do child swap with FPs, rather than tryjng to beat the crowds doing wide right on standby. So if you think he may not measure tall enough, I might be tempted to recommend FP.

For folks who are wondering if they should bother using the Wide Right Technique even if they're not at the front of the rope...absolutely! We used it on Wednesday, May 8 during Early Admission but were about 15-20 rows back of people at the rope at the end of Buena Vista Street. The CMs walked us back to Cars Land, and we stayed on the right edge of the asphalt. We weren't the first 20 people on RSR, but we only had a 10-minute queue time, which was awesome. The most difficult thing is keeping your party together when the line starts to squish down, but is much easier to do if you stay on the right. Wonderful technique!

For folks who are wondering if they should bother using the Wide Right Technique even if they're not at the front of the rope...absolutely! We used it on Wednesday, May 8 during Early Admission but were about 15-20 rows back of people at the rope at the end of Buena Vista Street. The CMs walked us back to Cars Land, and we stayed on the right edge of the asphalt. We weren't the first 20 people on RSR, but we only had a 10-minute queue time, which was awesome. The most difficult thing is keeping your party together when the line starts to squish down, but is much easier to do if you stay on the right. Wonderful technique!

Very true! Same thing happened to our family we were about 15 rows back and our wait time was maybe 10 minutes!

So if I'm understanding this technique correctly it will only work for those staying at a DL resort hotel when those guests have EE, such as a Sunday morning? We are staying offsite and only have one day to spend at DLR and the top priority is CL. We planned on visiting on a Sunday and from what I'm reading DCA opens at 8am. We planned on being at park by 715am. Is that too early? And since it is an EE day at DCA, should we just go for fast passes to RSR or will the standby not be too bad at that point? Sorry for all the questions but this is our first trip to DCA. Any insight/tips are welcome :) !
Thanks!

Unfortunately the technique won't work if it's an EE day and you're not able to attend the EE. You could try for fast passes but from what I saw when I was there 2 weeks ago was the fast pass line was so long it wrapped around to Tower of Terror and the machines were at the entrance to Bugs Land (across from the big waterfall). I heard it was like a 2 hr wait just to get a FP and they do run out. So you could still line up early and a family member who is a fast runner run straight for the FP line. There will be people lined up from EE but they do not open machines until the actual regular park opening.

We did early entry last Wednesday and used wide right there were about 8 people in front of us. It worked like a charm we were able to see all of carsland ride Luigi and mater and get in the fastpass line before the second rope drop

Will Wide Right Work if you are going to do a baby swap? I know the baby has to come with us to the line. Any problem pushing a stroller ont he wide right?

We did wide right while my friend waited for FP with our baby and when I asked the CM for a rider swap pass and explained where the baby was, he handed us the pass without blinking an eye. At least that was our recent experience. HTH!

Also, for the stroller... Stroller parking is on the right side by Ramone's. Once they start narrowing the line, they ask everyone to park their strollers. I don't know if they will let you through or if you'd even want to try since it's a bit nutty.

Will Wide Right Work if you are going to do a baby swap? I know the baby has to come with us to the line. Any problem pushing a stroller ont he wide right?

Honestly, I would ditch the stroller before getting in the line. It can get pretty nuts with everyone trying to jostle for position and I would not want to have to handle a stroller.

The baby swap can work, but like you said, the CM must see the child too young to ride. It the CMs are on top of things and not busy, they can give you a rider swap pass right away. Hopefully it works out for you!

So if I'm understanding this technique correctly it will only work for those staying at a DL resort hotel when those guests have EE, such as a Sunday morning? We are staying offsite and only have one day to spend at DLR and the top priority is CL. We planned on visiting on a Sunday and from what I'm reading DCA opens at 8am. We planned on being at park by 715am. Is that too early? And since it is an EE day at DCA, should we just go for fast passes to RSR or will the standby not be too bad at that point? Sorry for all the questions but this is our first trip to DCA. Any insight/tips are welcome :) !
Thanks!

I have asked this and been told if you don't have EMH, you can still do wide right in order to at least be ahead of all of the other regular entry folks. There will already be EMH people in line, so there will be a wait, but it will be better if you are at the front of the regular entry people.

I haven't decided for sure on our strategy- our days are Sun-Tues, so Tuesday is the only day that CA doesn't have EMH. But it's also the only day we could use our MM at DL. We'll play that morning by ear since it's our last day. But on our Sunday- first day- I don't know whether to head straight for FP, do wide right to standby and hope for a shortish line, or do wide right to the single rider line. Our kids are okay with SR.

Anybody know how the single rider line would be if we did wide right at regular entry on an EMH day? Also does wide right still have you end up near the SR line?

Thanks!

Wide right will still get you ahead of all the other folks who are joining you for regular entry. But you will be behind everyone who was there for EE. So you will not get the full benefit of wide right. But if you want to ride standby, it is better to do wide right than nothing. On a busy day, the standby line will probably already be an hour long.

For me personally, I prefer to get RSR FPs when I don't have EE. I get there between 7:15-7:30am and get in line as soon as possible for RSR FPs. I then send out folks for Starbucks and get breakfast while waiting. If I am getting in line by 7:30am, I expect about 15-20 minute wait for FPs.

Unfortunately the technique won't work if it's an EE day and you're not able to attend the EE. You could try for fast passes but from what I saw when I was there 2 weeks ago was the fast pass line was so long it wrapped around to Tower of Terror and the machines were at the entrance to Bugs Land (across from the big waterfall). I heard it was like a 2 hr wait just to get a FP and they do run out. So you could still line up early and a family member who is a fast runner run straight for the FP line. There will be people lined up from EE but they do not open machines until the actual regular park opening.

I have never heard of a 2 hour wait for RSR FPs except for the first week it was open. I have stood in the RSR FP line 10+ times and if you are back by the Tower of Terror it is about a 30 minute wait for FPs. Considering the standby line for RSR is often 3x that long, I don't think the FP line is that bad.

As long as you are in the RSR FP line by around 7:30am, you will get a RSR FP. They do run out quickly, but you will be fine.

I have asked this and been told if you don't have EMH, you can still do wide right in order to at least be ahead of all of the other regular entry folks. There will already be EMH people in line, so there will be a wait, but it will be better if you are at the front of the regular entry people.

I haven't decided for sure on our strategy- our days are Sun-Tues, so Tuesday is the only day that CA doesn't have EMH. But it's also the only day we could use our MM at DL. We'll play that morning by ear since it's our last day. But on our Sunday- first day- I don't know whether to head straight for FP, do wide right to standby and hope for a shortish line, or do wide right to the single rider line. Our kids are okay with SR.

Anybody know how the single rider line would be if we did wide right at regular entry on an EMH day? Also does wide right still have you end up near the SR line?

The single rider line works pretty much the same. When you approach RSR, there are three lines. The single rider line is the leftmost line, the FP line is in the middle, and the standby line is on the right. If you are doing wide right, you will have to get out of the general herd line and move to the left. It isn't that hard, though, as all three lines are fairly close to one another. On a busy day, the line for RSR standby can easily approach one hour when the park opens and then increase steadily throughout the day.

If you want to ride together as a family, I would probably suggest getting RSR FPs.

Question about this technique: if we plan on doing DCA on a non early entry day as we're staying offsite will this work? My plan is to do the wide right with DS (5) and send DH with DD (11) to get fast passes and then they can ride single rider and we'll all meet up after?

Would this work??

We were there this last weekend.

Friday was an EE day for hotel guests so we opted for fast passes. We got to the park about 10 minutes before opening. The family headed to TSMM while I got in line which was at the animation academy building. It took about 30 min. to get fastpasses with a return of 1:30-2:30 pm.

Saturday, we got there 20 minutes before opening, did wide right and were on the ride with about a 15 min. wait.

We were at DLP last weekend and used this technique on one of our EMH mornings. Unfortunately as we were heading to Carsland behind the CM's they announced that RSR wasn't running, and they were not letting people line up. If it had been up I could see that we would have been in position to be among the first on. EMH started at 7:30 on Sunday so we left the Grand Californian about 6:30. We went to the line furthest to the left as it was the shortest, and just before the park opening they opened up more lines to the left of us so we ended up first on line and first behind the CM's all the way to the right. I can see how it would have worked perfectly if RSR had been open. We weren't too concerned since Monday was also an EMH for CA, but RSR did open before the regular park opening and we were able to ride it with only a 30 minute wait. I have to say once the park opened the fastpass line was insane. I would try the single rider line before waiting that long for a fastpass.

We went in last Monday which was an EMH morning, but we didn't have it. We were near the front of the line at the gates. We were held at rope drop for 15 mins or so, then when everyone headed for Carsland, we went to Toy Story Mania. The rest of our group then did Mickeys Fun Wheel while my husband went to get RSR fastpasses. This was probably around 9.20am. He waited for about 10-15 mins, then re-joined us. The return time was 3.40-4.40. We went on at about 4pm and waited no longer than 15 mins. It worked out great. No need to wait for ages before opening to get fastpasses. They were gone by 11am that day.

Exercised the wide right on two mornings, but due to pushy patrons, I don't know how you can manage to be one of the first 20 on the ride. First hundred, sure.

I am guessing a lot of people have read about this and are going to do it. Isn't that going to be hard if so many people are trying this? Or do you think the majority of the people don't know about this? We want to try this in July and we are hoping that we can ride it and then go and get a fast pass to ride it again during night time. I am just curious if everybody is going to be pushing to be on the far right side.

I am guessing a lot of people have read about this and are going to do it. Isn't that going to be hard if so many people are trying this? Or do you think the majority of the people don't know about this? We want to try this in July and we are hoping that we can ride it and then go and get a fast pass to ride it again during night time. I am just curious if everybody is going to be pushing to be on the far right side.

When we were there in the beginning of March, there definitely were people who knew it and were pushing and aggressively fighting to get to the front right, even though we were already in that position. One family sent their boy who couldn't have been more than 5 up to the front, and he was squeezing around us to get there. My husband saw a fight almost break out in the queue between 2 guys because 1 guy wanted to move ahead to his family, and the other guy thought his family should move back to him. However, it still will help you to get there as early as possible and go to the front right.

We did it on a non early entry day. Didn't get in there until just before rope drop (like minutes!) and the technique worked well with my thin son (squeezing through everyone) leading the way we got up to probably within 20 - 30th in line. The problem was RSR didn't open right away, there was something wrong they were fixing so it was like 45min late to open. Ugh!! By the time we got out of there I went in the FP line for it and was in there a while but they ran out before my turn. We should've just gotten the FP first thing instead and could've finished other rides during that morning time. :mad:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter