The Broadway show thread where we discuss all things Broadway

Saw the cottage tonight?m. This was very funny!

A bit predictable but lots of laughs!

Last edited:
Saw New York, New York. Wonderful talent and the leading lady was a BEAST! 🔥🔥🔥🔥

Story is a big fragmented, but we enjoyed it.

Made it to Broadwaycon yesterday (I had won passes to an autograph signing and they included day passes for Sunday). It was a lot of fun, and we had a good time walking around. We met Justin Guarini, he was very nice to my daughter and spent a nice amount of time chatting with her. Not surprisingly but all the vendors were really nice! We didn’t do any panels, they didn’t interest my daughter, so we skipped that.

We then had lunch and went to Once Upon a One more time, which was fun the dancing was great but the show didn’t do it for me, my daughter and her friend both loved it. They are 9. But the real highlight was the stage door, a lot of the cast came out and they were all so sweet, taking photos, signing, and speaking to everyone. The woman running the door was amazing, I don’t stage door often but my daughter loves it and this experience remind me how fun it can be.

Last edited:

mgchinois.gif

Today is the official start of Restaurant Week around NYC. Although it is actually a month long now instead of a week and it now happens twice a year, in the summer and the winter. :woohoo:It started out as just a handful of restaurants in Manhattan and has now grown to hundreds of restaurants in all 5 boroughs of NYC. Reservations are available from Monday, July 24 to Sunday, August 20.

The participating restaurants curate their menus and produce special prix fixe selections for brunch, lunch, dinner and sometimes all three. Saturdays are excluded, so only regular menu prices apply at that time. The price tiers of $30, $45 and $60 for two- and three-course specials have returned for summer 2023.

The full list participating restaurants and directions on how to best do NYC Restaurant Week:

https://www.nyctourism.com/restaurant-week

SAG-AFTRA held a rally for their strike in Times Square today. The Rock the City for a Fair Contract rally was on the pedestrian plaza between 43rd and 44th Streets. The rally began at 10 a.m.

Many famous actors attended, among them: Christian Slater, Christine Baranski, Brian Cranston, Vanessa Williams.

And in support of the striking actors and writers, two theatre district / Hell's Kitchen restaurants are lending a helping hand. On 9th Avenue between 44th & 45th Streets, two restaurants: Marseille and Nizza, both owned by the same company, are now offering free meals to striking SAG actors and writers any night, but must come after 9 p.m.

"It's just our way of giving back to the community that has supported us for so long," PR Director Steven Hall said.

The restaurants are asking striking union members to show their union ID card when arriving at the restaurant and can reserve in advance or just walk-in. The free meal does not include alcoholic beverages, tax, and tips.

At the end of the strike, if the entertainers can pay back for all their meals, great. If they can't, their tab will be forgiven.

This is not the first time Marseille has opened its doors to the entertainment world. During COVID when Broadway was shut down, they fed out of work actors and again never asked to be paid back.

https://nizzanyc.com/nizza-supportlocal-arts/

https://marseillenyc.com/

https://abc7ny.com/hollywood-strike-nyc-free-meals/13543649/

We saw Waitress with Sara Bareilles in September 2021 and despite it being during the pandemic, it was an enjoyable time. The theatres took masking seriously and even though we couldn't wait at the stage door, they had a cordoned off area outside the theatre where the cast came out and waved to the crowd. It was truly one of the best shows I've ever seen so if Waitress goes on tour - see it!
saw Waitress before it originally closed pre pandemic-Jordin Sparks slayed as Jenna!
love the show!

Oh my! Saw Here lies love tonight and loved it! We had standing room tickets and found it very fun! I will say the subject is a bit heavy for the staging but it worked and I would see this one again!!

Broadway experts---- looking for some help on which show to choose. 6 adults who will be in NYC for a BillyJoel concert. None of us have ever seen a Broadway show but we have seen some touring shows.Looking for a classic Broadway show- thinking maybe Wicked or Book of Mormon? Maybe Sweeney Todd? any thoughts

Broadway experts---- looking for some help on which show to choose. 6 adults who will be in NYC for a BillyJoel concert. None of us have ever seen a Broadway show but we have seen some touring shows.Looking for a classic Broadway show- thinking maybe Wicked or Book of Mormon? Maybe Sweeney Todd? any thoughts
I would say Sweeney Todd is my favorite of those, but wicked is very much classic broadway imo. Book of Mormon is very off color so make sure you’re into that thing.

Other good options imo Hamilton, Chicago, for classic broadway.

Have so much fun! Billy Joel at the garden is amazing!!

Wicked is definitely a classic Broadway show. Some Like It Hot is also a good choice. Hamilton would be good if you could get tickets.

All that being said, my vote would be Shucked. A little singing, a little dancing and a whole lot of comedy 👌🏾

100% Wicked. Very classic Broadway, and enjoyed by a wider target audience. I have seen it 8 times LOL. I love BoM, and am dying to see it for a 4th time, but it's definitely not for everyone.

I concur with all the Wicked recommendations. Book of Mormon is very funny, but it made me squirm in parts, and lots of people walked out when I saw it. (Touring.)

I’ve had very good luck with lotteries over the past couple of weeks. Won Sweeney Todd after only about ten tries. And I got even luckier in that I got a perfect seat in the second row of the mezz rather in the first row seats most lottery winners get for the show. The view is not ideal from the first row.

Then about two weeks after that, I entered for my one and only time for Camelot on its closing weekend. Didn’t think I had a prayer, but I won! Again a decent seat. Think I was row k or l orchestra. I was disappointed that Jordan Donica was unable to perform in the second act, but at least I did get to see him. I think I read that he didn’t perform at all at the last show that Sunday.

After another little break, I entered for Funny Girl and Shucked, and was wait listed for both. Shucked came through.

And can I just say I hate the Social Toaster lotteries. I don’t do social media like Twitter or Facebook, but I may have to make accounts just so I can enter. I’m sure I remember entering those WITHOUT entering via social media in the past.

I also agree on the Wicked recommendations.

Book of Mormon might not appeal to everyone. All of you have to really, really like the show, South Park's humor, which NJlauren said is very off-color. Also, they poke fun at the Mormons. So it may not be everyone's cup of tea.

To see Hamilton, you have to be into rap/hip-hop.

While I liked Sweeney Todd. I wouldn't choose it as a first Broadway musical. It's a tragedy, like Shakespearean tragedy level. I always remember when a friend went to her first Broadway show with me. I had already been going for years. But, after seeing the show we saw, Mummenschanz, which was a totally silent, (dialogue-less) pantomimed show done with all black scenery & costumes, my friend said she wished she had seen an upbeat, lively musical with lots of singing & dancing and colorful costumes, a happy-ish ending and catchy tune to be humming when you leave the show.

I assume you mean something similar when you say "a classic Broadway show." So, I'd say Some Like it Hot, Shucked, maybe Funny Girl.

I also agree on the Wicked recommendations.

Book of Mormon might not appeal to everyone. All of you have to really, really like the show, South Park's humor, which NJlauren said is very off-color. Also, they poke fun at the Mormons. So it may not be everyone's cup of tea.

To see Hamilton, you have to be into rap/hip-hop.
As I posted above, agree with all of this. Except the Hamilton LOL. We don’t like rap and hip hop, at all, and we love Hamilton.

I think the style of music itself isn't the main issue if you are unfamiliar with Hamilton. It's the speed of the songs. If not articulated properly, you can miss a lot of context.

Wicked is the most accessible for people unfamiliar with musical theatre. In songs, acting, dancing, story, etc. What you see is what you get.

Have you heard of a Broadway musical called Bombay Dreams? I saw a clip of it in the 2004 Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade on Youtube and wanted to know more about it. From what I saw Bombay Dreams has really amazing songs? I also collect Broadway show cast albums and I have the cast albums of Wicked Jersey Boys Mamma Mia The Little Mermaid and Hairspray in my collection. Of all the Broadway shows my mom and I like Mamma Mia because the way they put ABBA songs to a story and make it in a play is so amazing. Did you ever see Mamma Mia?

Saw Little Shop last night……..WOW! Joy Woods was outstanding! Jeremy was amazing and the dentist was a absolute riot! 2nd row $35 lottery tickets for the win!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter