The Broadway show thread where we discuss all things Broadway

For my 30th birthday this weekend, I was lucky enough to experience Sleep No More on Saturday night and this afternoon I caught Spring Awakening. I was not a huge fan of the original production, but about three years ago I was lucky enough to get to play Georg in a production and I really came to understand and appreciate the material.

I stopped at TKTS this afternoon and grabbed a 4th row, center seat - definite Birthday score! The show was absolutely stunning. I was completely overwhelmed from start to finish and I can't even tell you how many times tears began to flow... it was just simply that beautiful. The ASL was integrated brilliantly and the cast - made of both hearing and deaf actors - was fantastic. At times scenes were played in complete silence with the actors using ASL and supertitles projected onto the back wall. Having the deaf actors speak and use their own voices at crucial moments was chilling. Having Wendla (played by a deaf actress, while another actress spoke and sang the role) use her own voice to say "Why didn't you just tell me everything?" brought me to basically silent sobs (to be honest I was in constant tears from Don't Do Sadness/Spring and Summer until the end of the show).

I know the subject matter may not appeal to everyone, but *IF* you get the chance, I cannot recommend this show enough. Please, Please,Please check this out if you're able. One of the theatrical experiences I don't think I will *ever* forget.

Wasn't it just exquisite?! I liked Spring Awakening well enough the first time I saw it (with a touring company quite some time ago), but when I saw this, I thought, "Oh, yes. THAT'S how this story was meant to be told." I'm so very grateful that I chose to see this show.

So, how was Sleep No More? Did you enjoy it? Such an interesting premise. My fear has been that it will just be a little too pretentious and "Emperor's New Clothes"-ish, but I'm fascinated all the same. I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Oh, and Happy birthday!

I am in the process of shoring up my next couple New York trips. In January I'll come alone and am pretty settled on seeing King Charles III and probably one other as yet undetermined show. In May I'll be there with my daughter and her best friend (both 14 at the time). We're going to see Tuck Everlasting (because Terrance Mann!) one night. The other night I'm sending the girls to Hamilton while a friend and I see Waitress.

Spring Awakening was beyond beautiful. I've seen the original production a number of times, but this really brought something special.

Rebeccam31, your daughter is extremely lucky!! I am dying to see Hamilton.

I actually have never seen Sleep No More. I saw a similar production put on by the same company, Punchdrunk, in London. It was called "The Drowned Man". It was so good and creepy, I wanted to go back again. There's just something about immersive theatre.

@BrdwayBoy Happy Birthday! Glad you enjoyed Spring Awakening. I need to go back as I only saw first preview. I've been hoping to brush up on my ASL so I could speak to the cast after words. It is so sad to see the production struggling from a money stand point.

I'm shocked that Sleep No More is still around! It is a great experience and wonderfully produced. It was only suppose to be like a 6 week run and now it has turned into an amazing thing that keeps adding stuff like the restaurant and kid's brunch. I'll never forget my first visit to the McKittrick Hotel. I got elbowed in the chest by Macbeth himself. Serves me right for standing in the doorway haha. I think it was actually a complete accident as I was barely out of the way as he flew out the door.

Spring Awakening was beyond beautiful. I've seen the original production a number of times, but this really brought something special.

Rebeccam31, your daughter is extremely lucky!! I am dying to see Hamilton.

I actually have never seen Sleep No More. I saw a similar production put on by the same company, Punchdrunk, in London. It was called "The Drowned Man". It was so good and creepy, I wanted to go back again. There's just something about immersive theatre.

She's lucky indeed because we've actually already seen Hamilton (to my mind it is every bit as good as you're thinking it is!). But she really wanted her best friend to see it, too, and I adore that kid, so... Off they go (we are staying at the Marriott Marquis, so I'm comfortable sending them alone).

She's lucky indeed because we've actually already seen Hamilton (to my mind it is every bit as good as you're thinking it is!). But she really wanted her best friend to see it, too, and I adore that kid, so... Off they go (we are staying at the Marriott Marquis, so I'm comfortable sending them alone).

I love staying at the Marriott Marquis! I stayed there once on a special graduation weekend my aunt paid for- we went to see 4 shows and did a little stay-cation. So much fun! Enjoy your trip! :)

Someday I'll see Hamilton. It's not in my budget right now but I do try the lotto every chance I get.

It was just announced that Eddie George...former Ohio State University running back, Heisman Award winner, and Tennessee Titan in the NFL will be joining the Broadway cast of Chicago playing Billy Flynn.

Eddie has been taking acting classes for years now and has been working with Nashville's premier professional theatre company, Nashville REP. He has starred in Othelo along with a number of other shows and has done very well!

I'll be curious to see how this goes...

So, how was Sleep No More? Did you enjoy it? Such an interesting premise. My fear has been that it will just be a little too pretentious and "Emperor's New Clothes"-ish, but I'm fascinated all the same. I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Oh, and Happy birthday!
Thank you for the Birthday wishes! To be honest... I didn't find it pretentious or "Emperor's New Clothes"-ish at all... but I can see where you're coming from. I have to admit that I was frustrated at first because it took about 30 minutes to actually find any actors - but I liked having the time to explore the space and get "into" the atmosphere - which was nothing short of absolutely astonishing. It was hard for me to understand what some characters were supposed to be doing sometimes - but that didn't take away anything. The only thing I didn't like was that when you would come across a major character, it was a little pointless to follow them because there were so many people already following that I couldn't see much of anything. I did have some fun encounters. The Rave... that was something! lol Oh... and didn I mention that EVERY SINGLE male actor was attractive? I don't know if it was the 1930's period costumes or what... but YES, PLEASE! lol I'm definitely planning a return trip.

@BrdwayBoy Happy Birthday! Glad you enjoyed Spring Awakening. I need to go back as I only saw first preview. I've been hoping to brush up on my ASL so I could speak to the cast after words. It is so sad to see the production struggling from a money stand point.
Thank you for the Birthday wishes! I'm sad to hear about the box office struggle too. I know it's only a limited engagement, but I hope it picks up and hangs on. It's amazing theatre.

I love staying at the Marriott Marquis! I stayed there once on a special graduation weekend my aunt paid for- we went to see 4 shows and did a little stay-cation. So much fun! Enjoy your trip! :)

Someday I'll see Hamilton. It's not in my budget right now but I do try the lotto every chance I get.

My husband gets Marriott points through work, so we're lucky to have use of those. :)

We were lucky enough to buy our previous Hamilton tickets before it opened, so while they were pricey, they weren't the crazy expensive they are now. I paid too much for the girls' tickets for sure, but at least I got them before they were all snatched up by resellers and marked way up...

Edited to add that my friend enters lotteries all the time and he never wins. But the first and only time he won was to Hamilton! So don't give up... ;)

It was just announced that Eddie George...former Ohio State University running back, Heisman Award winner, and Tennessee Titan in the NFL will be joining the Broadway cast of Chicago playing Billy Flynn.

Eddie has been taking acting classes for years now and has been working with Nashville's premier professional theatre company, Nashville REP. He has starred in Othelo along with a number of other shows and has done very well!

I'll be curious to see how this goes...

How interesting! I only know him from my husband's fantasy football team. ;)

Thank you for the Birthday wishes! To be honest... I didn't find it pretentious or "Emperor's New Clothes"-ish at all... but I can see where you're coming from. I have to admit that I was frustrated at first because it took about 30 minutes to actually find any actors - but I liked having the time to explore the space and get "into" the atmosphere - which was nothing short of absolutely astonishing. It was hard for me to understand what some characters were supposed to be doing sometimes - but that didn't take away anything. The only thing I didn't like was that when you would come across a major character, it was a little pointless to follow them because there were so many people already following that I couldn't see much of anything. I did have some fun encounters. The Rave... that was something! lol Oh... and didn I mention that EVERY SINGLE male actor was attractive? I don't know if it was the 1930's period costumes or what... but YES, PLEASE! lol I'm definitely planning a return trip.

Thank you for the Birthday wishes! I'm sad to hear about the box office struggle too. I know it's only a limited engagement, but I hope it picks up and hangs on. It's amazing theatre.

I have had a friend who knows me well tell me I'd love it, so I may give it a try sometime when I'm there without kids. And I worry about visibility, too, because I'm pretty short. If you don't mind fielding another question, how was wearing the mask? Was it uncomfortable? I am not so thrilled about that aspect either, though I understand the purpose of it.

I have had a friend who knows me well tell me I'd love it, so I may give it a try sometime when I'm there without kids. And I worry about visibility, too, because I'm pretty short. If you don't mind fielding another question, how was wearing the mask? Was it uncomfortable? I am not so thrilled about that aspect either, though I understand the purpose of it.

The masks weren't uncomfortable and the eye holes are pretty large. The only thing that I didn't like is that it got a little warm (I'd recommend t-shirts - even in the winter) and it got a little sweaty; but not like WDW-in-August sweaty. I had two friends who wore the mask over their glasses, and I don't think they complained. I can ask them though, if that's a concern.

There were women there who were actually wearing HEELS. I felt bad and I don't think they lasted very long. lol.

So excited to see this thread! I just saw Dames at Sea this weekend, Fun show, though Lesli Margherita definitely stole it. I will hopefully be seeing both Lion King and Finding Neverland with my college, so they'll only cost $20 each. I also have tickets for Hamilton in June, and will probably listen to the cast recording hundreds of times by then.

The masks weren't uncomfortable and the eye holes are pretty large. The only thing that I didn't like is that it got a little warm (I'd recommend t-shirts - even in the winter) and it got a little sweaty; but not like WDW-in-August sweaty. I had two friends who wore the mask over their glasses, and I don't think they complained. I can ask them though, if that's a concern.

There were women there who were actually wearing HEELS. I felt bad and I don't think they lasted very long. lol.

Thank you so much for all the information!

So excited to see this thread! I just saw Dames at Sea this weekend, Fun show, though Lesli Margherita definitely stole it. I will hopefully be seeing both Lion King and Finding Neverland with my college, so they'll only cost $20 each. I also have tickets for Hamilton in June, and will probably listen to the cast recording hundreds of times by then.

I think my daughter and I were on listen # 2056 of the cast album on the ride home today. ;)

I just ordered tickets to see Beauty and the Beast in Boston in January. I'm sure my girls will love it.

Those who've seen it- how was it?

I cant speak for the specifics (cast, design etc) for this tour - but in general I love the changes/additions for the stage show. The new music is all great - I'm sad to hear that NONE of the new songs written for the stage version made it into the upcoming movie. The one change I love in the story is that the enchanted objects change slowly as time progresses.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter