The Broadway show thread where we discuss all things Broadway

No, it's just infinitely better.
While I haven’t seen music man, based on reviews it deserved the win.

I will say there weren’t a lot of surprises last night. Most of the awards were it can go to this person or this person. Other than that please go support live theatre!

Of the new musicals nominated, the only one that peaks my interest is Six. Maybe in the fall, if it’s still playing.

While I haven’t seen music man, based on reviews it deserved the win.

I will say there weren’t a lot of surprises last night. Most of the awards were it can go to this person or this person. Other than that please go support live theatre!

I've seen both, and Company is a far superior show and production. They did something different with the gender-bending that truly changed the show in a positive way, and the design and direction is just glorious. Music Man is meh. It's a fine night at the theatre, but they didn't do anything revelatory, and the performances are mediocre compared to the ones in Company. I don't know why anyone would think they only won because of Sondheim. Very odd statement to me.

I've seen both, and Company is a far superior show and production. They did something different with the gender-bending that truly changed the show in a positive way, and the design and direction is just glorious. Music Man is meh. It's a fine night at the theatre, but they didn't do anything revelatory, and the performances are mediocre compared to the ones in Company. I don't know why anyone would think they only won because of Sondheim. Very odd statement to me.
I also saw company twice (once prior to and once since the pandemic) and I agree they did incredible work.

Sondheim deserves every memorial and posthumous accolade. He undeniably changed musical theatre.

I think people thought they were winning everything (they lost 4 of their other nominations-albeit one of them was in one of the acting categories they also won) because of Sondheim when in reality it the work they put in. Matt and Patti deserved their awards (and Jennifer deserved her nomination) as did Marianne (who everyone forgets normally does plays!) and Bunny for her set design. The categories they lost in made sense.

The one thing I did wish they did was instead of the opening to the show I wish they did Side by Side which is the opening to Act 2

I also saw company twice (once prior to and once since the pandemic) and I agree they did incredible work.

Sondheim deserves every memorial and posthumous accolade. He undeniably changed musical theatre.

I think people thought they were winning everything (they lost 4 of their other nominations-albeit one of them was in one of the acting categories they also won) because of Sondheim when in reality it the work they put in. Matt and Patti deserved their awards (and Jennifer deserved her nomination) as did Marianne (who everyone forgets normally does plays!) and Bunny for her set design. The categories they lost in made sense.

The one thing I did wish they did was instead of the opening to the show I wish they did Side by Side which is the opening to Act 2

Marianne's direction and Bunny's set design are characters themselves and it's fantastic. They absolutely deserved their wins.

I will forever be bitter that Katrina Lenk did not get the nomination, and I would have given her the win. What she is doing on that stage is an absolute revelation. But some people get it, some people don't. I also would have given a nomination to Chris Sieber. He is doing fantastic, nuanced, heartbreaking work that is underappreciated.

A lot of people wanted them to do Side by Side. I'm not sure that would have played great to a national audience though. I was hoping for a medley of some kind like Paradise Square did or Matilda a few years ago.

Marianne's direction and Bunny's set design are characters themselves and it's fantastic. They absolutely deserved their wins.

I will forever be bitter that Katrina Lenk did not get the nomination, and I would have given her the win. What she is doing on that stage is an absolute revelation. But some people get it, some people don't. I also would have given a nomination to Chris Sieber. He is doing fantastic, nuanced, heartbreaking work that is underappreciated.

A lot of people wanted them to do Side by Side. I'm not sure that would have played great to a national audience though. I was hoping for a medley of some kind like Paradise Square did or Matilda a few years ago.
A medley would’ve been better for all the shows minus strange loop (I’m still shocked six didn’t do the mega mix at the end but shortened).

I did really enjoy Katrina’s work and she grew so much from pre pandemic. A lot of people forget Sondheim wanted ACTORS (which is why Raul Esparza’s Bobby from 2007 is a revelation. Although that man can literally act a garbage bag and I would be a weepy mess).

Seiber: 100 % yes. Sorry Grateful and Marry Me a Little are my favorite numbers in the show!

It also would’ve been nice to see the boyfriends.

A medley would’ve been better for all the shows minus strange loop (I’m still shocked six didn’t do the mega mix at the end but shortened).

I did really enjoy Katrina’s work and she grew so much from pre pandemic. A lot of people forget Sondheim wanted ACTORS (which is why Raul Esparza’s Bobby from 2007 is a revelation. Although that man can literally act a garbage bag and I would be a weepy mess).

Seiber: 100 % yes. Sorry Grateful and Marry Me a Little are my favorite numbers in the show!

It also would’ve been nice to see the boyfriends.
Exactly, thank you! Sondheim didn't want someone who could belt like Elphaba. He wanted someone who could act the heck out of it. Katrina makes me cry every time. I enjoyed the 2007 revival and Raul, but I enjoy this version so much more.

I think Company won Best Revival over The Music Man as an tribute to Stephen Sondheim.

While I haven’t seen music man, based on reviews it deserved the win. [. . .]

EXACTLY! Sondheim, probably more than any other musical theatre person currently living probably has had more of a one-on one and group, professional and personal life-changing, career-changing, inspirational and creative effect on the current three generations of musical theatre performers & musicians sitting in that audience. For some, he has been their composer, songwriter, or collaborator, or mentor and inspirer, and career life-changer.

I find it odd that it is even remotely possible for someone to not understand that? :confused3 That maybe those he touched in this way voted for him and his show as one last posthumous tribute and homage to such genius? Regardless of how they were "supposed" to vote. But, maybe if someone hasn't had their own creative or life-changing mentor that opened them up to a larger world of possibilities & opportunities, they might not have that frame of reference. How utterly sad. Yet explains a lot.

Of the new musicals nominated, the only one that peaks my interest is Six. Maybe in the fall, if it’s still playing.

Yes, Six looked interesting to me too. The commercials showed 1776 is coming back to Broadway in the fall. I'd be interested to know who is the actor who plays John Adams and how he portrays the character.

I have always loved the movie. It's one of my favorite musicals. I was way too young to see it on Broadway with William Daniels, who reprised the same role in the movie. Later, when I saw Brent Spiner play John Adams on Broadway in the revival, he really did play John Adams obnoxious and disliked, and not many other tones, in my opinion. It made me realize how brilliantly William Daniels threaded the needle between playing obnoxious and disliked, sometimes having charm and humor, and the strongly impassioned visionary who helped make the resolution for independency happen. 🇺🇸

Last edited:
The commercials showed 1776 is coming back to Broadway in the fall. I'd be interested to know who is the actor who plays John Adams and how he portrays the character.
There was an all female cast production in the works at one point. I wonder if that's the same one you mentioned.

Ok all. A few years back I sent a very good friend of mine a concert from Green Room 42 called "Titanique" It is Celine Dion (not the actual Celine but brilliantly played by Marla Mindelle from Sister Act and the 2013 Cinderella) telling the story of the movie through the music of Celine. It was hilarious and we became obsessed. Well this past Thursday, my friend and i took another friend to see it at Asylum NYC on West 26th and it was FREAKING HILARIOUS! Very affordable priced tickets, killer cast, funny as hell. I highly recommend it-limited run ends in September!

An hour ago, NYC has lowered it's Covid alert rate of transmission from "high" down to a "medium" level.

The Broadway League is dropping it's face mask mandate on July 1 at all 41 Broadway theatres. It is making it optional to wear a mask while attending the show.

The Broadway League said it would re-evaluate masking rules monthly. A decision for August will be announced in mid-July, the association said.

https://abc7ny.com/nyc-covid-mask-mandate-new-york-statistics/11984439/

If you are visiting NYC and would like to buy some face masks, as you will be around more crowds than usual, there is a Jack's 99 Cent store on W 40th St between 7th & 8th Aves that has packs of five KN95 masks for $1.99. They are hanging up on aisle displays. (I just picked up some last week for work.) Jack's W 32nd St location (near Macy's) between 6th & 7th Aves probably has them in stock too.

I hopped on this thread to say actors and stagehands and front of house staff were not given any heads up about the new mask policy. Covid safety team workers were notified they were losing their jobs by checking social media.

All union rules they still have to quarantine for 10 days if they test positive and it will cause chaos with the shows. Closings and postponements will happen again. All I’ve been seeing from a decent amount of people who work in these theaters is they were completely unaware. It’s apparently causing issues at tonight’s shows already because some people misheard and thought it started today.

As for me, I’ll still be wearing my mask.

Ok all. A few years back I sent a very good friend of mine a concert from Green Room 42 called "Titanique" It is Celine Dion (not the actual Celine but brilliantly played by Marla Mindelle from Sister Act and the 2013 Cinderella) telling the story of the movie through the music of Celine. It was hilarious and we became obsessed. Well this past Thursday, my friend and i took another friend to see it at Asylum NYC on West 26th and it was FREAKING HILARIOUS! Very affordable priced tickets, killer cast, funny as hell. I highly recommend it-limited run ends in September!

I got to see the real Celine Dion in concert at Barclays Center, right before the pandemic shut everything down. :love: I definitely say go see a live "Celine" if she can sing like Celine. It would be well worth it.

This reminds me, also right before the shut down, I started utilizing a NYC run program called "Culture Pass." The program is back up and running again. Basically, if you are 13 or older and live, work, attend school, or pay property taxes in New York State, you can get a free digital (online) New York Public Library card right now using this online form. You do NOT have to go into a library to get a physical card. Visitors to New York State can also use this form to apply for a temporary card.

You input that online NYPL library card member number in at the Culture Pass website to get FREE passes to dozens of NYC cultural institutions, including MANY museums, historical societies, heritage centers, public gardens and more.

https://www.culturepass.nyc/

Pre-Covid, we got to see Grand Horizons at the Second Stage Theatre for free as Second Stage is one of the theatres that participates in Culture Pass. There were a couple other theatres participating back then. Hopefully they will participate again in the future. (The free tickets help fill out the house. We were seated off to the side, about 10 rows back. Had partial view for about 2 minutes, but could see everything else. )

Second Stage still participates. Click on the full list of participants to see their listing. Right now, one can get 2 free tickets to 53% Of. (That's the actual name of the play, not how much of a percent you get off a ticket. I got confused by that at first as I didn't know that was the title of the play. :lmao:)

Basically, you are given 2 free one-day admissions to any of the institutions, within ONE year. Then your membership there resets. So if seeing a play at Second Stage, wait and choose wisely as a play you may be more interested in comes along later.

The different museums generally open up their availability for free Culture Passes about once every month or so, depending on how busy the museum gets. So keep checking the site to see when the passes for that museum opens up again. You reserve passes by date.

The Brooklyn Public Library and the Queens Public Library also participate in Culture Pass if you have a library card with them.

Last edited:
Company shockingly announced a closing last night on 7/31…..many theories as to why but it very concerning. Please go see a show if you can. There are various discount sites and apps from today tix to TDF. Even the broadway websites like broadway.com have good prices. Pay attention to the mailers you receive in the mail as they help immensely.

EXACTLY! Sondheim, probably more than any other musical theatre person currently living probably has had more of a one-on one and group, professional and personal life-changing, career-changing, inspirational and creative effect on the current three generations of musical theatre performers & musicians sitting in that audience. For some, he has been their composer, songwriter, or collaborator, or mentor and inspirer, and career life-changer.

I find it odd that it is even remotely possible for someone to not understand that? :confused3 That maybe those he touched in this way voted for him and his show as one last posthumous tribute and homage to such genius? Regardless of how they were "supposed" to vote. But, maybe if someone hasn't had their own creative or life-changing mentor that opened them up to a larger world of possibilities & opportunities, they might not have that frame of reference. How utterly sad. Yet explains a lot.

What the heck are you even talking about? It's literally a brilliant re-interpretation of a classic show versus a stale restaging. In no world was TMM going to win even if Sondheim were still alive. It's just not good.

Company shockingly announced a closing last night on 7/31…..many theories as to why but it very concerning. Please go see a show if you can. There are various discount sites and apps from today tix to TDF. Even the broadway websites like broadway.com have good prices. Pay attention to the mailers you receive in the mail as they help immensely.

I'm absolutely devastated. Saw it coming, but sad nonetheless.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter