The Broadway show thread where we discuss all things Broadway

Please check out Andrew Rannells doing The Man That Got Away on YouTube. Absolutely stunning.

Fantastic performance!

Andrew Rannells was a special guest at BroadwayCon and spoke to a large audience, which let him promote his new book. He then went on nation-wide TV and said obnoxious things about BroadwayCon attendees. Jeepers, don't bite the hand that feeds you! He's on my [insert bad word here] list.

Are you referring to the "nerd" reference he nade on a talk show? Geez, my kids are theater kids and they'd completely agree with him, with pride, lol.

Last edited:
Fantastic performance!

Are you referring to the "nerd" reference he nade on a talk show? Geez, my kids are theater kids and they'd completely agree with him, with pride, lol.

The term he used was not “nerd.” It was “misfit.” If your family is ok supporting that, that’s fine. I, personally, did not appreciate it.

The term he used was not “nerd.” It was “misfit.” If your family is ok supporting that, that’s fine. I, personally, did not appreciate it.

So....among stage folks, "misfit" isn't an insult by a longshot - at least in the case of modern theater. TBH it was never a label that insulted me even 30 years ago, but then my husband and I both believe strongly (and raise our kids to also believe) that terms like "nerd", "weirdo", "misfit", "geek" and the like are compliments. We are different, we deal with the world differently, and we have no issues with that being called out. We believe that you wave your freak flag as high as possible so the others can find you :)

That said, to someone outside of the environment I can totally see how that would be viewed as an insult. But I'd put hard cash on the term being used as a term of endearment in the context of BroadwayCon.

Anyone else going to see "The Music Man" at the Kennedy Center this weekend? Norm Lewis, Jessie Mueller...I'm excited!

Also they finally announced the lead for "The Scarlet Pimpernel" concert at Lincoln Center on Feb 18th: Tony Yazbeck. Pretty sure their original choice backed out ('cause they did a whole thing with clues about who the lead would be and he doesn't fit the clues), and I'm not super excited about Yazbeck, but Laura Osnes is Marguerite and that alone might be worth it. I'm excited. :)

So, I finally saw Hamilton a couple days ago and I feel like it’s sacrilege to say, but I thought it was just ok.

I feel like I might be missing something that everybody else gets lol. I had trouble understanding a good chunk of the lyrics in the first half. I enjoyed it, but I don’t understand the level of hype it’s gotten *ducks from potential flying shoes and tomatoes*

So, I finally saw Hamilton a couple days ago and I feel like it’s sacrilege to say, but I thought it was just ok.

I feel like I might be missing something that everybody else gets lol. I had trouble understanding a good chunk of the lyrics in the first half. I enjoyed it, but I don’t understand the level of hype it’s gotten *ducks from potential flying shoes and tomatoes*
Ha! No one should be throwing tomatoes here. Everyone’s broadway tastes are different & that’s OK. I was fortunate enough to see the original cast & I also knew all the lyrics before going. I totally recommend listening to the cast recording to give it a final chance though.

So....among stage folks, "misfit" isn't an insult by a longshot - at least in the case of modern theater. TBH it was never a label that insulted me even 30 years ago, but then my husband and I both believe strongly (and raise our kids to also believe) that terms like "nerd", "weirdo", "misfit", "geek" and the like are compliments. We are different, we deal with the world differently, and we have no issues with that being called out. We believe that you wave your freak flag as high as possible so the others can find you :)

That said, to someone outside of the environment I can totally see how that would be viewed as an insult. But I'd put hard cash on the term being used as a term of endearment in the context of BroadwayCon.

Thank you, and yes, that's exactly how the theater kids we know and love use the term. But you're absolutely right, outsiders might not understand the nuances. :)

Thank you, and yes, that's exactly how the theater kids we know and love use the term. But you're absolutely right, outsiders might not understand the nuances. :)
My dd did theater for about 8 years, and it still a total theater nerd/misfit! She watched that a few days ago, and loved it. She is a HUGE fan of Falsettos and would happily wear the outfit and be called misfit with pride!

You are much kinder than I, but I haven't actually SEEN it. :rotfl: I was not impressed with the soundtrack, so I am not a fan of the show. Good for you for seeing it.
OMG I LOVE Music Man and Scarlet Pimpernel!!!! I wish they would stream these productions. I would PAY to see them!!!

Saw Miss Saigon Friday as part of our Broadway Series. It was alright, but I was underwhelmed overall. Saw it something like 27 years ago when it first started touring and I remember being very moved, but this time, meh.

So happy to see Pimpernel getting some visibility again! We performed it last spring with my community theater group, and it was SO MUCH FUN :)

Tomorrow night we are going to Providence to see Charlie and the Chocolate Factory! Hubby is a bit nervous because he is a die-hard fan of the Gene Wilder movie version, decidedly NOT a fan of the Johnny Depp remake. I encouraged him to have an open mind about it :)

I tried to get tickets to “Come From Away “ which is coming here next month and they were all sold out before going out to the general public. Even with a presale code I had no luck.there were only single tickets left. Still chocked especially when seeing them being resold for crazy prices. I will have to wait and see it another time So now I have bought season tickets for this coming year as I am interested in all the shows ( Rent, Waitress, Dear Evan Hansen and Finding Neverland). It also has the option to add Wicked which I have seen and love but my girls haven’t yet so I will probably add it. So exited! It will be a fun year. My 15 year old is very excited about Dear Evan Hansen. We are also seeing Matilda in June through another local theatre.

I tried to get tickets to “Come From Away “ which is coming here next month and they were all sold out before going out to the general public. Even with a presale code I had no luck.there were only single tickets left. Still chocked especially when seeing them being resold for crazy prices. I will have to wait and see it another time So now I have bought season tickets for this coming year as I am interested in all the shows ( Rent, Waitress, Dear Evan Hansen and Finding Neverland). It also has the option to add Wicked which I have seen and love but my girls haven’t yet so I will probably add it. So exited! It will be a fun year. My 15 year old is very excited about Dear Evan Hansen. We are also seeing Matilda in June through another local theatre.
Tickets for Come From Away are selling like hot cakes! I was shocked at how much was sold when I purchased my tickets. I want to say I purchased them August of last year, and it has gotten more and more popular as time goes on. I am hoping the tour shoots through Sacramento, so I can get orchestra seats this time.

We have Come From Away as well as Dear Evan Hansen on our season package this year as well - I think one is in May and the other in June this year. :) Looking forward to both as they're two new ones for us. School of Rock is next month, which we loved on Broadway, but not sure about the travelling version. My older son saw it last week on a DC trip with classmates and said it was ok, but not as good as Broadway (which I guess is a safe assumption).

I'm going to see Frozen tonight on Broadway.....I'll literally BE frozen! :cold:

Where are you coming from? Are you in the city already? Here in central CT there is all sorts of nasty stuff falling from the sky.

Saw Hamilton last Saturday. While it was very good, I think somehow it just didn’t measure up to the hype for me. Often found myself looking at the dancers rather than the main action. Choreography was great.

Where are you coming from? Are you in the city already? Here in central CT there is all sorts of nasty stuff falling from the sky.

Saw Hamilton last Saturday. While it was very good, I think somehow it just didn’t measure up to the hype for me. Often found myself looking at the dancers rather than the main action. Choreography was great.

Did you see The Bullet? (if you didn't know, look it up!)

Where are you coming from? Are you in the city already? Here in central CT there is all sorts of nasty stuff falling from the sky...
.....southern Bergen County, not far from MetLife Stadium. It was raining and wasn't too bad on Route 17, but Route 3 east [which goes directly into the Lincoln Tunnel] was virtually clean as a whistle. It took is 31 minutes to get into Manhattan AND park our car at the Icon Park down the street, which is diagonally across from Phantom.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter