The Boathouse - Here’s your meal and dessert menu!!

mg1502

Earning My Ears
So me and my girlfriend have just got back from a meal at The Boathouse in Springs. This was a last minute ADR booked last week after seeing how nice the menu looked and knowing we had a few more DDP credits left to use. We were naturally really excited for this and with it being a ‘Signature’ were expecting food and service up this level (particularly after being blown away by the quality of both at The Yachtsman earlier in our holiday).

Upon check in, we were taken with the decor of the place, but this was brought down to earth with a bump, when the hostess directed to our seats in total silence then walked away without a word. If we thought this service was bad, boy were we in for a shock. Our server then came to the table and everything at first seemed fine, he noted our allergies and brought the manager to assure us on these. This was good service, but then my girlfriend noted that throughout the server talking us through the menu, he only made eye contact with me and never once acknowledged her. Now anywhere I’d think that rude, let alone for a supposed ‘Signature’. On to the food (2 x dock buckets of cod and fries). Now this was ‘Signature’ food. Being British, we eat a lot of cod and it’s no understatement to say this was some of the best we’ve had. It was light, not too oily and fried in a delicious panko breadcrumb coating. The portion sizing wasn’t too overbearing and one of the best meals we’ve had all trip.

Now this is where the service dropped like a stone. Our meals hadn’t been on the table for more than a minute before the server dropped the dessert meals on to the table and ask us to start looking through these. If this wasn’t rude enough, once my knife and fork had been put on my dish when I was done, the server swooped in and removed the dish from the table... whilst my girlfriend was STILL eating! This would be unacceptable at any restaurant, let alone a Disney ‘Signature’. Then once my girlfriend finished, her plate was whisked away without a moment to breath.

Then about 30secs later our server came over and asked what we wanted for dessert, which in the end we took to go (and gifted to the concierge staff at our resort) as we just wanted to get out of there.

Should we of complained and asked to speak to the manager - yes. But being young and British, our nature isn’t to complain, but just to get out of there. And in honesty, we were in shock at the service we’d received.

It’s such a shame, as the food was some of the best we’ve had this holiday. But if this is commonplace at The Boathouse, then someone needs to get in there and sort this service out before it leads to big issues.

Last edited:
We found the food very good but the service rushed. It was more like an in park restaurant late in the day when they are just trying to quickly turn tables over to get caught up. Our experience at Boathouse was similar to yours. However we paid out of pocket so at least you weren't being signaled out because you were using the DDP. Although our waiter talked to me as well as my DH.
Since you didn't talk to a Manager maybe send an email to the restaurant and the parent company about your issues. ( & WDW Guest Communication if you want however they aren't owned/managed by Disney)

Last edited:
We found the food very good but the service rushed. It was more like an in park restaurant late in the day when they are just trying to quickly turn tables over to get caught up. Our experience at Boathouse was similar to yours. However we paid out of pocket so at least you weren't being signaled out because you were using the DDP. Although our waiter talked to me as well as my DH.
Since you didn't talk to a Manager maybe send an email to the restaurant and the parent company about your issues. ( & WWD Guest Communication if you want however they aren't owned/managed by Disney)

We weren’t even this rushed at Yak and Yeti or Tusker House where we understand the desire to turn over tables. Our experience felt as bad as recent reports of Ohana which the DIS Unplugged team have discussed. At least we know it’s not just us, though it’s not really any crumb of comfort.

Boathouse is signature because of the cost, that moniker is there to keep Dining Plan costs in line. As you experienced, they also serve very casual items like fish & chips, burgers, tacos, etc. So while you can get a steak or seafood, I dont think FP Boathouse as being overly fancy. We had the best service of any WDW restaurant there so sorry to hear it wasn’t that way for you.

Different strokes and all of that but other than the dessert menu being dropped off with the food (odd for sure) not sure any of that is manager worthy. It’s not odd at all for a dirty, empty dish to be cleared away while others are still eating. If the server was trying to get out of there before his shift or turn the table that’s another story.

Last edited:

That sounds more like efficient service to me. Honestly, that's how I prefer to be served, I hate when I have to wait forever for menus or the bill.

OMGGGGGGG I wonder if we had the same server! In my first dining report I talked about how we went to Boathouse and the waiter would only speak to my husband! Barely even acknowledged that I was there....presented the check to my husband. It was so insane. From what I remember he was like, a smaller guy with dark hair.

If I'm at a REALLY swank restaurant, I can see clearing plates quickly, but it's also supposed to be non-intrusive. So the fact that A. you noticed and B. you felt rushed means they missed the mark.

In general, I'm pretty communicative with servers when we're "not in a rush" and don't feel the slightest bit rude telling them to slow the pace down. I think servers in WDW are in a tough spot because they either have people looking to get in and get out in time for their FP or whatever or they have people just kinda relaxing and taking a break. I like to let them know up front what type of experience I'm looking to have.

I wonder whether the server is painfully shy or perhaps has a mild learning disability or difficulty. ..maybe on the autistic spectrum.

I believe the removing of dishes before everyone at the table has finished their meals is a cultural thing. We (Brits) don't pick up our cutlery, until everyone has been served and plates are not cleared away, until everyone has indicated, by the placement of their cutlery, that they have finished eating. When I was younger, it was thought most impolite for the gentlemen to finish their meals, before all the ladies had finished eating. (We (ladies) would also eat before being taken out for a meal, so that our 'date' would not think we were gluttons). How times have changed.

(We (ladies) would also eat before being taken out for a meal, so that our 'date' would not think we were gluttons).

Like Scarlett O'Hara at the Wilkes' bbq! I never ate beforehand, but I ordered light so that I could talk more than chew ;)
I wish everyone knew the silverware signals. I just realized that I haven't taught them to my kids, so I'll do that tomorrow.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter