The Boat may have sailed, but I continue to let Member Services know....

I don’t own DVC, I do dream of it though, if only I could get my husband talked into it! Anywho, I like to read the threads on the DVC forums in case I ever do get to become an owner (again, dreaming). I started reading this thread and I am trying to make sure I understand correctly. So when someone walks a reservation, once they have their initial reservation started for x amount of nights, they just call each day there after and add a day to the front and drop a day on the back until they reach the exact dates they want to reserve? Like, they start with 1-7 and they add/drop until they get to the dates they want of 12-18? And this absolutely guarantees they will get the exact dates they want of 12-18? That could take quite a bit of patience.

Walking should be eliminated, as it's a loophole being exploited to game the system.

Fair is fair...and if you buy into a pool as equals...first come first serve.

I don’t own DVC, I do dream of it though, if only I could get my husband talked into it! Anywho, I like read the info on the DVC forums in case I ever do get to become an owner (again, dreaming). I started reading this thread and I am trying to make sure I understand correctly. So when someone walks a reservation, once they have their initial reservation started for x amount of nights, they just call each day there after and add a day to the front and drop a day on the back until they reach the exact dates they want to reserve? Like, they start with 1-7 and they add/drop until they get to the dates they want of 12-18? And this absolutely guarantees they will get the exact dates they want of 12-18?

That's the main gist of it. The guarantee part is only if booking at the 11 month window.

Do a search here, there are a few very well written threads that explain it fully.
Denise

In essence...to be succinct: it's the practice of people booking one week or more ahead of when they actually want to travel and then dropping/adding days each day as their real target date approaches. Because you can book out days beyond the first calendar day of your stay...you can use this method to book ahead of the 11/7 month Windows.

It's wrong...my opinion.

I don’t own DVC, I do dream of it though, if only I could get my husband talked into it! Anywho, I like to read the threads on the DVC forums in case I ever do get to become an owner (again, dreaming). I started reading this thread and I am trying to make sure I understand correctly. So when someone walks a reservation, once they have their initial reservation started for x amount of nights, they just call each day there after and add a day to the front and drop a day on the back until they reach the exact dates they want to reserve? Like, they start with 1-7 and they add/drop until they get to the dates they want of 12-18? And this absolutely guarantees they will get the exact dates they want of 12-18? That could take quite a bit of patience.

It's a pain in the butt...but yes, you can do this to game the system.

And the reason is...using your example...the people calling/surfing for the 12th would do so on the twelve...say January 12th for December 12th...would find That the walkers would already have up till the 17th booked on the 11th and they might be shutout.

Nice guys finish last as long as they allow this.

You are basically correct, but you don't have to call every day. You should only have to call one time. If your reservation is for 7 days, you have to call on the 6th day.

You are basically correct, but you don't have to call every day. You should only have to call one time. If your reservation is for 7 days, you have to call on the 6th day.

Correct...because the booking window is still "+7", is it not?

This method also allows people to circumvent dining...which isn't as big a thing as 10 years ago but still a loophole.

Correct...because the booking window is still "+7", is it not?

This method also allows people to circumvent dining...which isn't as big a thing as 10 years ago but still a loophole.
No, dining is not impacted at 11 months out.

No, dining is not impacted at 11 months out.

Oops...my bad...I'm crossing the streams...

We used to have people walk rack reservation to get cinderellas...

But that was 6 months...I'll be getting the yolk out of my eyes if anyone needs me ;)

I walk my Christmas/NYE reservation every year. It’s the only way I can get it. Sorry but not sorry.

I had to plan a once in a life time 2 week trip that spanned from before Christmas to after New Years. We needed a 2 bedroom at BLT for half of the trip and then a one bedroom.....and I needed standard view, otherwise I would not have had enough points. If not for these boards, I would not have known what "walking" was. I kept watching the availability tool and knew when I needed to jump on the bandwagon. Yes, it was a lot of work and a bit stressful, but entirely worthwhile. before the trip I sent an email to member services requesting that my two bedroom lock off be converted to a one-bedroom without having to move rooms. When we checked in, I spoke with the CM, who saw my request on her screen, double checked, made a call, and said we were all set, we could stay in that same room.

There are very few standard view two bedroom lockoffs at BLT....so, thanks to the disboards, I was able to pull off this trip. We've been DVC members since 1997, and this was the only trip that I have ever stressed over. I love the planning!!!

I had to plan a once in a life time 2 week trip that spanned from before Christmas to after New Years. We needed a 2 bedroom at BLT for half of the trip and then a one bedroom.....and I needed standard view, otherwise I would not have had enough points. If not for these boards, I would not have known what "walking" was. I kept watching the availability tool and knew when I needed to jump on the bandwagon. Yes, it was a lot of work and a bit stressful, but entirely worthwhile. before the trip I sent an email to member services requesting that my two bedroom lock off be converted to a one-bedroom without having to move rooms. When we checked in, I spoke with the CM, who saw my request on her screen, double checked, made a call, and said we were all set, we could stay in that same room.

There are very few standard view two bedroom lockoffs at BLT....so, thanks to the disboards, I was able to pull off this trip. We've been DVC members since 1997, and this was the only trip that I have ever stressed over. I love the planning!!!
Did you check afterwards to confirm that you actually needed to walk that reservation? That time has really high point costs, so rooms are effeminate available much longer.

Did you check afterwards to confirm that you actually needed to walk that reservation? That time has really high point costs, so rooms are effeminate available much longer.
No....during this time I was also caring for my terminally ill mother-in-law at our home.....it was difficult enough to make sure I was on the phone at 9 am with member services.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter