The Black Pearl, San Pedro & Palos Verdes

WebmasterMaryJo

Techarita
Staff member
Administrator
I heard the Black Pearl was in town, so my ds, Nick, & I went to go check it out. (Thanks for the tip, minnietoo)

-- Click on most pics to get a bigger view --

We took these from above Cabrillo Beach

We decided to see if we could actually get close to the Black Pearl, and after driving to a couple of marinas, finally found it, but this is the closest we could get to it.

11450IMG_2344.JPG

Afterwards we took a couple more shots from the Cabrillo Marina area.

Here are some shots we took while driving around.

Cabrillo Beach with the Black Pearl in the distance (to the left in the far distance is the dome where they used to have the Spruce Goose & to the left of that is the Queen Mary, Long Beach. Long Beach is really close to San Pedro.

11450IMG_2340.JPG

Cabrillo beach and the breakwater that keeps the waves from the Los Angeles Harbor in San Pedro.

This is the coastline off of the Palos Verdes Peninsula looking towards Point Fermin & the LA Harbor beyond. (You can't see it from here, but Trump's golf course is there, too - anyone who saw the first year of the Apprentice might remember that the winner had the choice of working on this golf course or a building back east).

This is looking towards Point Vicente & Catalina Island in the background. Down below is the former site of Marineland (you can still see the giant white water spouts that marked the entrance to the drive there if you look very closely right behind the spanish tiled rooftops). There used to be a statue of Bubbles the whale there, too. I heard that the set for the fort was down there, so we droved down where the empty lot is. At the end is a drive that goes down to the shore, but there was a no trespassing sign, so we didn't drive down it. I didn't want to get into trouble. We did see some fresh palm trees on the ground, though. hmmmm

It is a really beautiful day here today, in the high 70's by the beach. I love Southern California :sunny:

MaryJo

Thanks for sharing. I wish I had checked into these boards in the past few days. Usually I do it daily but with the kids out of school I have less time....
I was picking my son up today in San Pedro and was right there at the Catalina Terminal...he has been in Emerald Bay for Boy Scouts. Man I wish I knew as we would have ventured out to see more. Thanks for the great photos though.....you always have such great shots.

Great shots...neat to see the Black Pearl just floating there!

I watched video of the marineland 'makeover' into the POC I fort. Guess they don't want anyone going inside and playing around and getting hurt. Wonder if they plan on using the fort in POCIII?

Thanks for the photos!

For anyone who wants to go down and see the Pearl up close, you can see her on the Spirit Cruises 1-Hour Harbor Tour ($12), which leaves from Ports o' Call. They'll take you right up to her and go slowly by, so you can take tons of photos. I did it Saturday and it was terrific! :thumbsup2

No one seems to know exactly when she'll leave the harbor, so go soon!

Thanks for sharing your pictures MaryJo. Now I don't need to go see it for myself.

Although I am trying to figure out how to get in the site of Marineland. :rolleyes1 How I loved going there when I was a kid. I remember going there for my friend's birthday back in the 1970s.

We are going tomorrow and we'll do the cruise and everything!!

I'll put up pictures if I learn how.

Anyone know if the Black Pearl is still there? We'll be in Los Angeles Labor Day Weekend and I'd love to surprise the family.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter