The annoying things non-Disney people say...

Jonfw2

DIS Veteran
What are yours? Here's a few of mine to start...

1. "We went to Disney World last year to see Harry Potter".
2. "Oh, you're going to Disney? Your kid must have begged you." Nope. I begged HER.
3. "The rides are better at (Cedar Point, Six Flags, etc...)".

And the ultimate annoying thing....

4. "Didn't you just go?"

"Why are you going to Disney again?"
"Wait, Is Epcot the one where Harry Potter is."
"I know they aren't the same, but I went to City Walk the other day."
"Why don't you spend your money on a real vacation?"
"Don't you own the park by now?"
"Is Animal Kingdom like Busch Gardens?"
"I heard the Hollywood Studios is just like Universal."

With a smirk, "Why are you going to Disney again? It's just a kids park"
Why not go somewhere else than Disney every year??? We always go to Paris each year; you should try it!!! They never realize that They go to the same place year after year, but We can't?????
We went once, too busy, too expensive, too crowded, never again!

I don't know. I've been going to WDW since I was a child, and I still don't get all the names 100% correct all the time. Mostly, I just don't care, but it is also part of our family lore.

We have an old family joke:

Years ago, a toddler in our extended family identified the Swan and Dolphin by the giant decorations that adorn their roofs. To her, they were the Fish and the Duck.

We thought it was adorable.

Every so often, we enjoy recalling that experience.

Once while riding a WDW bus, we mentioned this personal family joke amongst ourselves by saying, "Oh look, the Fish and the Duck!"

We chuckled amongst ourselves until a complete stranger took it upon herself to correct us.

I have more, including one that dates back to the 1970's!

When I was very little, someone in my family called the Tiki Room, the "Tiki House," and at first that stuck with me. I've likely known the correct name for 40+ years, but it will always be the "Tiki House" to me, at least amongst family.

Hard to explain maybe, but that one phrase keeps me young. It instantly reminds me of all my early WDW memories. What it was like to experience MK as a small child when Minnie was real and she walked right up to me, and put her hands over my eyes, and the feel of her white gloves on my eyelids, and my surprise and elation! Minnie chose ME! That one phrase reminds me what it was like to be at WDW when bathroom sinks were too high, and how frustrating it was to have to ask for help to wash my hands! And how I loved when I could FINALLY use the restroom on my own. And how much I enjoyed the Tiki Room because it was so pretty and it wasn't scary. And what it was like to be lost at WDW, and to sing with dolls, and all the long gone Disney topiaries, and If you Had Wings, Mission to Mars, and...well a bunch of other early WDW memories.

So to me, guests making those kinds of mistakes bring back warm memories more than they irritate me.

Mind, CM's that don't know WDW names area different matter. CM's should be trained enough to generally know the lingo.

Isnt that in Florida, no Im going to California, oh there is Disney there too...
But what do you DO there, isnt it all kids stuff

"why do you want to go back to the same place?"

Something sweet my adult son said when he was really little (one of our firsts trips) was he called It's a small world "the dolls singing". He kept asking if he could go back and see the dolls singing ride. We still call it that sometimes. Great memories!!

Often the folks who want to know why we return to WDW go to like, the same resort town or state fair themselves year after year. Or else they do the same hobby every weekend. If not that, then they often eat at the same restaurant every week.

Most of us are creatures of habit in some way, pointing that out is often good way to turn the discussion around.

Then, I like to give them a little time.

And who do they solicit when they decide to give WDW a try? pirate:

Oh, man, don't get me started! Even friends who like Disney do this to me.

When I was thinking about a trip over the summer to do Villains After Hours, my friend said "I think you should wait and go with me in December." Uh, that's like 6 months from now - why would that have anything to do with it? I'll go again! :smooth:

I have been discussing a trip to Disneyland Paris with my parents and talking about other stuff we would want to see. My mom says, "Well, it's not primarily a Disney trip." Oh, well, maybe not for you! :earsboy:

Some people are just not right. ;)

When DS 17 and I went to DL on our mom and big kid trip last summer ..

isn’t he a little old? You must be dragging him..

What are yours? Here's a few of mine to start...

1. "We went to Disney World last year to see Harry Potter".
2. "Oh, you're going to Disney? Your kid must have begged you." Nope. I begged HER.
3. "The rides are better at (Cedar Point, Six Flags, etc...)".

And the ultimate annoying thing....

4. "Didn't you just go?"

"Don't you ever go anywhere else !?"

I have been discussing a trip to Disneyland Paris with my parents and talking about other stuff we would want to see. My mom says, "Well, it's not primarily a Disney trip." Oh, well, maybe not for you! :earsboy:

That is when I would pull up the gif of the little girl saying "why not both"?

Okay, I wasn't going to bite quite this way....

But something that sometimes makes me scratch my head here on the Disney discussion boards are folks who post an advice question, like hypothetically, "I've never been to WDW, should I arrive at WDW on a Monday or a Friday?"

Then when posters try to give helpful answers to their question, they attack everyone who prefers, say, Monday arrivals.

It makes me wonder why they asked if they weren't interested in hearing a variety of opinions.

I've learned to (mostly) steer clear of certain topics that often go downhill in a hurry.
Most folks are fun to chat with here, but sadly, we've had a few trolls over the years. Kuddos to mods who do a great job of balancing the discussions.

Or like a couple of years ago when my sister said, "Well, when your kids get older, you'll stop going on Disney trips, right? I mean, that's just for little kids." I laughed and said, "No." She said, "So you'll keep going to the same place every time?" I said, "Oh, like you go to Italy every year?"

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter