The All New Pop Century FAR OUT FAQ Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chip 'n Dale Express

Can't stay put!<br><font color=purple>I met lots o
Welcome to the Pop Century FAR OUT FAQ thread! Please take the time to read this first post -- It has the answers to many of your questions! :)

Okay folks... it's taken me longer than I thought to get this all together. But, whew... y'all had a lot of great questions. I've compiled them all into this FAQ. But I know there will be more, so keep them coming! I will be posting links to photos and videos soon. Until then, keep it real!

(I'll be updating this as I get questions in, just to organize them and bring them to the front)

What is Pop Century?

Disney's Pop Century Resort is a celebration of 20th century pop culture. The resort's larger-than-life time capsules, preserve the toys, fads, dance crazes, and catch phrases of the world's pop century. How we lived. How we played. How we celebrated. How we communicated. These stories and many others are all here for future generations to discover and celebrate. Guests have the opportunity to live and play inside these unique time capsules - to experience the pop culture of our century like never before.

Classic Hall will be the main building. Although the outside of the building is brightly colored, the insides of Pop Century are very subdued. Lots of browns, blues, grays, and mustard. It works well. It houses the front desk area, the arcade, and the merchandise/food court area, named "Everything POP." You walk into this area, and it starts off as the Merchandise Shop. Walk further, and it becomes the Food Court. The food court itself is HUGE. Tons of tables, lots of soda fountains, and it looks like there will be a very eclectic selection of food.

The Front Desk area is called "Memory Lane" because on the walls are covered with shadow boxes containing all sorts of pop icons from the past 50 years. As you walk down Memory Lane, you can regale the memories of yesteryear with your family. Behind the front desk are enlarged photos from the past 50 years. Very nicely done.

The front desk will have thirty stations, which include Guest Services, and Check In/Out. There is also a separate kids room in the lobby, with couches, toys, and a cartoon themed big screen TV.

Just outside the main area are the 60's buildings, and the Hippy Dippy Pool. There are two other pools, one shaped like a bowling pin, and another as a computer monitor.

Everything is VERY close to the main building. The furthest building might be a 5 minute walk to the front, if that.

The rooms themselves are similar to the All-Stars - but modified. They looked at the All-Stars, and made them better. A few changes include:

• Lowered night stand - so that you won't hit your head on it when sleeping
  • Data port near the table for your laptop
  • BAR SOAP with separate shampoo
  • Redesigned sink area
  • In-room safe that can hold a laptop
  • Fitted bed sheets
  • Modernized climate control panel
  • Beds are mounted on pedestals, so that you can't loose things under them.
  • Curtains overlap, so that NO light will get in.

Cast member costumes will be very plain. Either gray and white, or dark blue with mustard top. They look very nice.

ROOMS

Q: How big are the rooms? How do they compare to the All-Stars?
The rooms are the same size and basic layout as the All-Stars - 260sq ft with either a King bed, or two Doubles. The dresser has been redesigned, is slightly bigger, and looks much nicer. Also, rooms come with a 25” TV, versus the 19” found in the All-Stars. The night stand has been lowered, so that one will not hit their head on it while sleeping. A data port has been installed by the table and chairs for easy access. Room colors are very subdued. Browns, blues, grays and a few mustards are the prominent colors. All rooms are identical in decoration, with the exception of a framed artwork and a wallpaper border depicting whatever decade the room is located in.

Q: What’s a Preferred building?
The 60s buildings will be considered Preferred buildings because of their close proximity to the Hippie Dippie Pool, Everything POP, the front desk, and the bus stops. Guests may upgrade from a standard room for only $10 per night (plus applicable tax).

Q: Will Pop Century have ADA accessible rooms?
Pop Century will have a plethora of different options for those guests traveling with wheelchairs, or guests with hearing impairments. There are a few different bathroom options for those guests using wheelchairs. For those guests with hearing impairments, we offer TTY phones, visual signals for fire alarms, phones, wake up alarms, and door knocks. There is also a bed shaker accessory. These items are available for use at no cost.

Q: What is the room mix?
King Bed Accessible 63
King Bed Typical 81
Dbl/Dbl Bed Accessible 115
Dbl/Dbl Bed Typical 2621

Q: What amenities will be available upon request?
Non-smoking rooms
Rooms accessible to guests with disabilities
Hearing-impaired TDD telephones
Visual smoke alarms
Bed boards and bed rails
Refrigerators (additional charge, unless for Medical Reasons only)
Cribs
Hair dryers
Iron and ironing board

Q: What are the big icons going to be of?
50s:
Stairwells will be Brunswick Bowling Pins
Pool – The 10th bowling pin
Building 1 – Lady
Building 2 – Jukebox
Building 3 – Tramp

60s:
Stairwells will be Duncan Yo-Yos
Pool – Hippy Dippy pool, and kiddie pool
Building 4 – Play-Doh
Building 5 – Mowgli & Baloo

70s:
Stairwells will be 8-Tracks
Pool – Goofy’s Pop-Jet pool area
Courtyard will feature giant Foosball players
Building 6 – Mickey Mouse Phone
Building 10 – Big Wheel cart.

80s:
Stairwells will be Rubik’s Cubes
Building 7 – Roger Rabit perched upon some Dip
Building 9 – Sony Walkman

90s:
Stairwells will be Cell Phones
80s/90s pool will be a giant computer monitor
Building 8 – Giant Laptop Computer

Q: What will the buildings look like? How many floors will they have?
The buildings will be similar to the All-Stars. They will be the standard T shape, with 4 floors. Each floor will have 72 rooms. Each building will have 2 elevators in the center by the giant icon.

Q: How can I send my preferences to the Room Assignor?
You may call Central Reservations or Pop Century at 407-938-4000.

Q: Will we be able to move the beds closer to the wall for more space?
No. Beds are on a pedestal, and are not moveable.

Q: Will there be a safe in the room?
Each room will feature an in-wall safe big enough to hold a laptop computer.

Q: Will 5 people fit in a room at Pop Century?
No. Pop Century rooms are limited to 4 persons, plus one infant in a crib. However, we do offer connecting rooms. This is a great option for larger families, as it allows for two bathrooms.

Q: What color are the room carpets at Pop Century?
They have a blue/gray base color, with a small mauve pattern.

Q: The 80s/90s look so far away from Classic Hall on the map. Are they really?
No! They are actually closer than they look. No room is more than 5 minutes (at a slow walk) from Classic Hall.

DINING

Q: What is “Everything POP” ?
Instead of having a separate food court, and gift shop, it's now combined into one. Sort of at least. When you walk into Everything POP, you're in the gift shop. Walk further, past the Gift shop registers, and you'll be in the seating area of the Food Court. Walk through the seats, and you'll be in the food area. It's an all in one area, but they are somewhat separate. (They will have separate registers) The food court will have 10 dedicated registers.

Q: Will they have a character breakfast at the resort?
No. Just like the All-Stars, there will only be a food court. No sit down restaurant. However, transportation will be provided to other resort and theme park character breakfasts.

Q: Will Pop Century have Refillable Mugs? How much do they cost and with what and where will we be able to refill them?
Mugs will be available in both the large and cup holder size. Prices and refill information coming soon. (Although it’s safe to say it will be the same price and policies as the other value resorts)

Q: What kind of food will be offered at Everything POP?
All kinds! Breakfast items will feature the standard fare, as well as Pop Waffles, and marshmallow fluff stuffed french toast. Lunch will feature sandwiches from our bakery (such as the tie dyed PB & flufff), pizza, burgers, as well as selections from our Ethnic area. Dinner will feature comfort food from Mom’s kitchen. Entrees include meatloaf, fried chicken, pot roast, and other treats. Desserts include Twinkie Tirimisu, Tie Dyed Cheesecake, and moon pies.

Q: Do they have cappuccino in the food court?
Yes! Real cappuccino and expresso will be sold. Also, hot chocolate and coffee will be at the beverage stations.

RECREATION

Q: Will there be any watercraft rentals?
Because Pop Century is a Value resort, there will not be a marina.

Q: How many pools will Pop Century have?
3 full sized pools, 1 kiddie pool, and 1 pop-jet pool.

Q: Will Pop Century feature an Arcade?
Yes! The Fast Forward Arcade is located in Classic Hall, across from Everything POP.

Q: Will there be towels available to use at the pools or do we need to bring our own?
You may bring the towels from your room. Should you need more towels, simply touch the Housekeeping button on your telephone to request more.

Q: What is Goofy's Pop Jet Area?
This is one of those water jet areas that kids seem to love. It's large, and has that padded foam ground. It can be found in the 70s area. I'm sure it will be a hit with the kids. There is also a kiddie pool area, but I'm sure some kids will prefer the pop jets.

TRANSPORTATION
Q: What about transportation?
Transportation from Pop Century should be very good. Because of the anticipated demand, buses will be running more frequently than some other resorts. During peak times, buses could potentially run every 5-8 minutes. Pop Century will be a “Magic On Demand” resort. (MOD will be based out of Zone 5)

Q: Where are the bus stops located?
In front of Classic Hall. A very short walk from ANY building!

Q: How many bus stops are there?
Currently, only one. However, once the Legendary Years opens up, both the Classic and Legendary Years will each have their own bus stop.

Q: How far is it from the parks?
There will be only one stop, so all buses will be direct. Pop Century is in a great central location so travel times will be great.

Estimated Times (may vary by driver)
MK - 12 minutes
EC - 8 minutes
ST - 5 minutes
AK – 6-12 minutes
DTD - 10 minutes
BB - 6 minutes

The one open variable will be Blizzard Beach. As it stands right now, Blizzard Beach will be with the Animal Kingdom bus, just like it is with most resorts. If we find that this route is not working, we may break it away as its own separate bus. However, if this is done, it will be combined with Caribbean Beach.

Q: Do the buses make any other stops at other resorts?
Currently, no. Once the Legendary Years open up, it is conceivable that during non-peak times, the routes might be shared. However, judging by occupancy, this will not be happening during peak morning times.

MISCELANEOUS

Q: Will Pop Century have Valet services?
No. As a Value resort, this amenity will not be provided.

Q: Will Pop Century have Bell Services?
Upon arrival, Pop Century will offer Luggage Assistance for our guests. Not to be confused with "Bell Services" found at Deluxe resorts, Luggage Assistance will take your luggage, and store it while you enter the lobby and check in. Your luggage will then be automatically delivered to your room within an hour of it becoming available. You do not need to be in the room for luggage to be delivered, so you can go off and play in the parks. When you get back, your luggage will already be there. We will have refrigerators for food and medical usage. (All food *MUST* be factory sealed) We will also have a locked area for valuables such as laptops, cameras, and other electronics.

When checking out, we can come and pick up your luggage, and store it until you are ready to depart. We do ask that you give us a call the night before, to arrange a pick up time. If you call day of, we may not have any availability left. We require a minimum of one hours notice. Those of you who opt for Express Checkout will receive a voice mail reminding you of this option, as well as other Express Checkout info. By the way, the voice of Express Checkout is the same voice that does the Monorail Spiel.

You do not need to be in your room for drop off or pick up.

Should you wish to handle your own luggage, we offer the use of our hand carts. (Not the "bird cages," but push carts) Usage of the carts is free, however, we will require a credit card on file, should you decide to take one home as a souvenir. We also do ask that guests limit cart usage to 30 minutes, so that other guests may use them as well.

Q: Will we be able to pick up MVMCP tickets & wrist bands and Candle Light Processional Dinner package badges & coupons (that have already been pre-paid) at the PC guest services?
Yes!

Q: Do you know when the Legendary section will open? Will it have it's own check in area, food court ...?
No one really knows when the Legendary Years will be finished, or open up. However, when it does, it will be a separate resort, with its own front desk, food court, and bus stop.

Q: I had heard a rumor you could walk to MGM from Pop Century. Is that true?
No. Pop Century is not within walking distance of anything, including Caribbean Beach. (Unless you use the Cast Only tunnel)

Q: Where exactly is this resort located?
Pop Century is located next to Caribbean Beach, and near the Disney-MGM Studios. There will be a lake called Hourglass Lake separating the Legendary and the Classic sections.

Q: Will Pop Century have surrey bike rentals at all?
Yes! We currently have two and four seater Surrey Bikes. Rental is located near Petal's Pool Bar.

Q: Is the bridge across Hourglass Lake open?
It is currently closed for work. However, it may partially reopen soon. No word on that just yet.

Q: Can you see any fireworks from Pop Century?
You might be able to see some of the high level fireworks from Illuminations from Buildings 2, 3, and 4.

Q: Will Pop Century be getting those large groups? (Cheerleaders, Pop Warner, etc)
All large groups will be booked at the All-Stars. The All-Star Resorts have a special large group check in and luggage area designed specifically for this purpose. We do not have those things at Pop Century, and as such, we will not be getting the large groups. However, there is the chance that we might be getting any overflow that will not fit at the All-Stars.

Q: Will there be Pressed Penny machines at Pop Century?
Yes! They will be located in the Fast Forward Arcade.

Q: Will there be laundry facilities?
Yes. At each pool area, there will be a laundry room with washers and dryers.

Q: What’s up with that funky golf cart?
One very cool thing about Pop Century is that we will have use of a ’57 Chevy styled golf cart. Cast Members will be able to create magical moments with our guests by giving 3 guests a ride on it. Due to crowds, and staffing limitations, rides might not always be possible. We also have a “hippie” inspired minivan for pizza delivery. Adorned with peace signs, and the phrase “Peace of Pizza,” this minivan will turn some heads as well.

Q: What are some local internet dialup numbers that I could use? (Please note, although these numbers are local, you will incur a 75 cent per call access charge on your room)
AT&T Phone #
407-563-0080
407-563-9610

AOL Phone #
407-641-4265
407-641-4266
407-587-0072

MSN Phone #
407-648-1464
407-641-4676
407-541-0601

Bellsouth Phone #
407-896-7275
407-896-1919

Remember, there is a modem port under the desk! :)

Q: Are there any charges for phone use?
If you are calling inside of Walt Disney World, there is no charge. If you make a local call, calling card call, or toll free (800, 877) call, there will be a $0.75 surcharge. (This includes dialing your laptop modem) If you know you're going to be making long distance calls, I would recommend a pre-paid phone card, or other calling card types. Direct long distance rates will be billed at the full AT&T operator assist daytime rate + a 55% surchage.

Q: What is the address and phone number for Pop Century?
1050 Century Drive
Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830
Phone: 407-938-4000

Q: Can I hook up my video device to the TV?
Probably! There are RCA inputs for stereo audio and video on the front of the TV. There is no s-video input available.

Q: Will Pop Century be decorated for Christmas?
Yes. Pop Century will be decorated for Christmas. We have a few Christmas trees, and some garland around Classic Hall. Christmas music will also be playing around Classic Hall.

Q: Where will Tyler be?!
Just ask for me, and I’m sure I can be found. For our first few weeks, I'll probably be found hanging out near the Porte Cochere. :crazy:

Wow Tyler!!!
This is a wonderful thread!!! All this info is so helpful as we prepare for our stay there in June. Thanks for your hard work in putting this all together.

Thanks again!
Carla

Wow, thanks for all the info!! Can't wait to see it in person! (I think there is a piece of tie-dyed cheesecake with my name on it!)

I AM SOOOO EXCITED....February cant get here fast enough..Thank you Tyler for all that info...Hey i have a question for you....If my mom lives in that area and wants to come and visit us while we are there..how does she go about that?? i have heard she could have a hard time getting in to see us if she is actually staying at the resort....can you fill me in

Now I really can't wait!!!! We are due to arrive 12/18. Tyler I will be looking for you.
I do have one question.
I need to ship some items to the hotel. What happens if it gets there before I do? Will you hold it for me? I just want to make sure I do it right. My plan is to ship FedEx and specify a delivery day and time. Is FedEx the best way to go? Well I guess I had more than one questions. :confused: Thanks for your help. Renee in VA

Tyler, this is great! Will see you on Monday the 15th (so ya'll will have time to work out all the kinks of opening a new resort). LOL.

WOW Tyler, You did a great job with this! I can't wait until next Friday when we'll be checking in! I'm as excited about staying here as I am about all the Christmas festivities! DD is going to want to get going to BB as soon as we check in and I'm going to want to walk around and tour PC LOL.

Cheryl

Just wanted to give an update. I checked in today for my stay. So far, everything has been wonderful. Check-in went smoothly, and quickly. My hostess was very friendly, and explained everything for me. Unfortunetly, there were no king sized beds available for my stay. I was bummed, as I am 6'2" and don't fit on a double bed... my feet end up hanging off. One of the Guest Service hosts who was standing nearby told me not to pre-judge the bed, and that it was a Magic Disney Bed, and I should give it a shot.

Well... low-and-behold... WOW... I fit!! It must be an extra-long double bed!! I was so happy to find that out.

My luggage was delivered to my room very quickly, in fact, it was there before I was! Luggage Services policy is that your bags will be delivered to your room within one hour of your room becoming available. I must have timed it just right.

For dinner, I dined at Everything POP. I chose the "Moms Night Out" tv dinner. Tonight's selection was meatloaf, mashed potatoes, and green beans. It was delicious! For dessert, I had a Twinkie Tiramisu. Very rich, but very good.

I know a lot of people find the Value resort rooms to be small. While it's not huge, I find it adequate. I am currently on the 4th floor of the 90's building. I know some folks have two big concerns about this building.

First, is the proximity to the Osceola Parkway, and related noise. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. Even outside, on the balcony, it was quiet.

Second, was proximity to the bus stops and food court. I timed myself. From my room (using the stairwell) and walking at a normal pace, I was able to get to Everything POP and the bus stops in 156 seconds. Taking the elevator might add a minute to that time. Even still, it's not as far as the map tends to lead one to believe.

So far my stay has been enjoyable. Tons of magical moments going on with the kids. It's funny... we had a VIP guest arrive the other day, and he decided to utilize our Luggage Assistance service. He dropped off his luggage, and family, and then went over to check-in parking. While he checked in, his kids were hula-hooping with the Luggage team, and having a BLAST. Later on in thier stay, he asked them if they wanted to go to the Arcade or the pool. They replied that they wanted to go back to the Porte Cochere and hula hoop with the luggage team!

Magical Moments are so great. :)

At any rate... I'm going to go back to watching Resort TV... I love these channels! I wish I could get them at home. Actually, I cant wait for POP TV to go live. :)

Wow, that's impressive!!! :) :) You did a GREAT job. You covered things I would not have even thought about. I saw the resort while it was still under construction in May 2002 and can't wait to see the finished product in May 2004 before we go on our cruise. I didn't realize there was also another resort (Legendary Years) also in the works, will that also be a value resort?

Thanks for all the great info and Happy Holidays!!! :) :)

Thanks Tyler. I am going to visit PC when I get there in 10 days!!!

Originally posted by cyndibelle
If my mom lives in that area and wants to come and visit us while we are there..how does she go about that??

All she has to do is show photo ID to the security guard to be let in.

Originally posted by rmorrisette
I need to ship some items to the hotel. What happens if it gets there before I do? Will you hold it for me?

Your items will be held in the Luggage room, and will be taken to your room within one hour of your room becoming available. Not quite sure, but you may have to stop by or give us a call, just so we can be sure its your package.

Thanks for all your time and work, the information has really been helpful for those of us who like to plan and have all the details worked out.

See ya soon!

Great job, Chip 'n Dale Express. It's about time we got an official Pop Century FAQ thread here on the Dis (but I'm going to miss the old thread -- there was so much info in there). I hope this one gets listed with the other resort FAQs soon.

Since a picture is worth a thousand words, here are links to Disney Pix's aerial photos of Pop Century:

PC photo # 1

PC photo # 2

PC photo # 3

PC photo # 4

PC photo # 5

Thanks for the photo links... I hadn't gotten to them yet, but you've saved me a step!

As for all that info in there... it's all HERE!! I went through each thread, one by one, and compiled them all into here. The only thing I haven't brought over yet are the articles and photos. I've just been so busy! LOL

But all the questions and answers have all been copied and organized for your convenience :)

Chip 'n Dale Express, you are so lucky to be staying at the new resort for the sneak preview. How I envy you!

I'm glad that you'll be pulling all the photo links over to the new thread. I can't wait for you to post a photo of yourself in the official Pop Century Cast Member outfit soon (hint! hint!).

Originally posted by Chip 'n Dale Express
For dinner, I dined at Everything POP. I chose the "Moms Night Out" tv dinner. Tonight's selection was meatloaf, mashed potatoes, and green beans. It was delicious! For dessert, I had a Twinkie Tiramisu. Very rich, but very good.

Chip 'n Dale Express, please let us know if the food court looks as nice as it appears to look in the following photo: click here for photo of food court.

Also, please let us know if your dinner looked as good as the meals looked in the following photos:
Food photo # 1
Food photo # 2
Food photo # 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter