The ABC's of Sauntering Through WDW- J is for: Just Like That, It's Judiciously Ended! (4/23)

The style was a fun read. It was almost immaterial if it was true or not and... I believe it was actually against board policy to call someone out like that.

It is immaterial. If people enjoy reading it, and it doesn't violate board rules, post on.

I'm at that point.

Watch your health and slow down!

True.

But there used to be a time when you wanted a Disney item, you had to know where to find it or ask (usually more than one) a CM. Now... You want an item... it's everywhere.

Sadly, this is so true!

Oh, that's right! Forgot that.

56262506_2417650094913913_36494384358752256_o.jpg

I'll never pronounce it correctly. ;)

I can teach you someday. :)

You have German spell check???

I used a translator to make sure, and then the copy and paste didn't capture. AT least that's my theory.

It is immaterial. If people enjoy reading it, and it doesn't violate board rules, post on.

Exactly!

Watch your health and slow down!

Maybe next week... or the week after... but then I'll be so behind on house work, so... maybe the week after that.

Love that shot of you. :)

I can teach you someday. :)

But not in May. Unless... you sure you don't want to cancel all your ADRs and FPs?
No?

Probably not.
Ah well! Next time!

I used a translator to make sure, and then the copy and paste didn't capture. AT least that's my theory.

Good a theory as any.

H is for: Hungry No More!

Towards the middle of the trip I found myself at Sanaa. Good thing too; the last trip in 2016 I pulled a massive FAIL and simply forgot about my ADR there. Oopsies. It happens. You get sucked into the moment and poof, you're charged $25 that could've gone to 1/10 of a t-shirt. Oh well....

I love this place! I love everything about it. Seriously, this place has so much wonderfulness- good food, beautiful theming, "live" entertainment, the works!

Here's the lowdown:

I arrived in plenty of time for my 5:50 ADR at the Kidani resort and, in fact, was probably early for it. How do I know that? I don't, but from the way things happened, it's a good guess.

After the usual ogling over the impressive lobby, I sauntered over to the restaurant entrance.

(super crappy cell phone photo)

This handsome young man checked me in quickly, then let me know that it would be a bit before my table was ready. Which stands to reason since I'd told him that I would happily wait for a table next to the window. I mean, why else would you dine there?

Waiting was no problem; the bar had loads of space and I wanted a cocktail anyway. Totally worked for me. I found a space at the long high-topper and ordered up a classic margarita. I always order my margs rimmed with sugar instead of salt, and they were happy to oblige my request. It hit the spot while I did some people watching.

It was definitely busy, but not chaotic. I was very glad it was still light out so that I could watch the animals... the biggest selling point for me for going to Sanaa. Before I starved, I was called to my table- the best one in the house, if I do say so myself. It was tucked back towards the end of the restaurant and was definitely quieter and more subdued over there. YAY!!! Honestly, I don't mind the happy noise of families and kids, but I also use my meals to recharge and unwind after time in the parks. I need that "space" to think and have quiet. I digress...

I got cozy at my table and began to animal watch. Have I mentioned that I really love this place?

I was nursing my marg and soon enough my server came over to take my order. This was a no brainer as I'd decided what to order months prior.

I also added the scallops which I really didn't need, but wanted to try something new just for kicks and giggles. I was not laughing, however, at the disturbing number on the scale after my trip. But, as I always say, if you can't live it up on vacation, when can you?

It didn't take long to get my food, all of which came out at the same time.

My thoughts:

The Bread Service was just as phenomenal as the first time I had it, and it will also not be the last. I am planning to take the kids (again, and this time I won't make the same rookie mistake of forgetting to actually go) and I'm certain (because I'm the mom and will insist) that we'll order it. The mix of flavors they include range from spicy and tangy to herb-y and earthy, to sweet and fruity. There's really at least one that everyone would enjoy and there's enough included that a party of 4 could easily have a good taste of each one. No, it wouldn't fill 4 people up for a meal, but as an appetizer it's perfect. For 2 people... yeah, it's enough for a meal.

The scallops were sadly disappointing. I just didn't care for the combination of flavors and the scallops were a bit rubbery. I didn't finish it all and wouldn't order it again. No, @Captain_Oblivious it wasn't the greens that wrecked this dish. ;) I think maybe if there was something sweet added to glaze the scallops...? or I dunno. Just wasn't my cup of tea and I love scallops.

I didn't linger after I ate, as I needed to head back to DTD to talk to Guest Services again about my AP. As I headed to the bus stop, I was treated to this gorgeous sunset, which perfectly capped off my wonderful meal at Sanaa. Truly, if you haven't been here, it's very worth the out-of-the-way effort. Hope your weekend is off to a fantastic start!

the last trip in 2016 I pulled a massive FAIL and simply forgot about my ADR there. Oopsies. It happens. You get sucked into the moment and poof, you're charged $25 that could've gone to 1/10 of a t-shirt. Oh well....

Whoops!
I'm betting that's a mistake you make once.

Once.

"live" entertainment

::yes:: It took me a second, but I knew what you were talking about before you posted your photos. :)

(super crappy cell phone photo)

Not at all. Those chandeliers are beautiful!

I'd told him that I would happily wait for a table next to the window. I mean, why else would you dine there?

For the food? No?

I always order my margs rimmed with sugar instead of salt, and they were happy to oblige my request.

You can do this! Dang it! Now you tell me!

Then again... I prefer the frozen margs and those are rimmed with sugar, so...

I was very glad it was still light out so that I could watch the animals... the biggest selling point for me for going to Sanaa.

Again. not the food.
You're not exactly selling this place you know! I can see the animals on the safari!

Honestly, I don't mind the happy noise of families and kids, but I also use my meals to recharge and unwind after time in the parks. I need that "space" to think and have quiet.

I can see that.
I wouldn't mind an adults only place... except I have a feeling it would be even louder than a kids allowed place!

Niiiiiice spot!

You got to see giraffes??? How cool is that!?!?
Okay, I take back my earlier comments.

Pretty. :)

This was a no brainer as I'd decided what to order months prior.

"You know you're a DISer when..."

I was not laughing, however, at the disturbing number on the scale after my trip.

Calories don't count on vacation.

But they do when you get home. I suspect airplane air is loaded with them.

The Bread Service was just as phenomenal as the first time I had it,

I've heard a lot about this. Some day I might even be able to try it.

I'm certain (because I'm the mom and will insist) that we'll order it.

:lmao:

Those look delicious!

The scallops were sadly disappointing.

Too bad.

the scallops were a bit rubbery.

Over cooked, then. There's an art to cooking scallops. And it's a fine one.

No, @Captain_Oblivious it wasn't the greens that wrecked this dish. ;)

Beautiful shot!

I have read so many good things about the bread service at Sanaa. It's not a place the ladies in my life are likely to go, so I will probably have to leave it for a solo trip, or maybe convince DW to do it on an adults only trip. I used to enjoy the naan bread very much when I was overseas and I have never been able to find the same quality locally where I live. I suspect Sanaa would come close to authentic Asian standards.

Towards the middle of the trip I found myself at Sanaa. Good thing too; the last trip in 2016 I pulled a massive FAIL and simply forgot about my ADR there. Oopsies. It happens. You get sucked into the moment and poof, you're charged $25 that could've gone to 1/10 of a t-shirt. Oh well....
Oh nooo! This is one of my fears. So far we haven't forgotten a meal yet.

This handsome young man checked me in quickly, then let me know that it would be a bit before my table was ready. Which stands to reason since I'd told him that I would happily wait for a table next to the window. I mean, why else would you dine there?

A table by the window sounds lovely.

Before I starved, I was called to my table- the best one in the house, if I do say so myself. It was tucked back towards the end of the restaurant and was definitely quieter and more subdued over there.

You did get a great table, with lots of entertainment.

The Bread Service was just as phenomenal as the first time I had it, and it will also not be the last.

This does sound really good.

The scallops were sadly disappointing. I just didn't care for the combination of flavors and the scallops were a bit rubbery. I didn't finish it all and wouldn't order it again. No, @Captain_Oblivious it wasn't the greens that wrecked this dish. ;) I think maybe if there was something sweet added to glaze the scallops...? or I dunno. Just wasn't my cup of tea and I love scallops.

I'm sorry to hear that. But not every dish can be great.

A few nicer items, but, as you say, representing your Rockies (flannel), hockey, soap with joke names... really?!
The thing that really upsets me is the Maritimes (I grew up in PEI) are not represented at all!

Sounds like a fun trip!! I'd love to visit Canada again someday. I loved Vancouver, and have never been to the Maritimes.
Com visit! During the year I am about an hour north of Toronto and in the summer I have a cottage on the south shore of Prince Edward Island.

When I bought the mug I hadn’t even thought that I already had a black teapot, but they go well together and almost look like a set.
I love this mug!

I love this place! I love everything about it. Seriously, this place has so much wonderfulness- good food, beautiful theming, "live" entertainment, the works!
It is just the best! It is our first meal on our trip in July and I can't wait!!

I got cozy at my table and began to animal watch. Have I mentioned that I really love this place?
Me too!:goodvibes

The Bread Service was just as phenomenal as the first time I had it, and it will also not be the last. I am planning to take the kids (again, and this time I won't make the same rookie mistake of forgetting to actually go) and I'm certain (because I'm the mom and will insist) that we'll order it. The mix of flavors they include range from spicy and tangy to herb-y and earthy, to sweet and fruity. There's really at least one that everyone would enjoy and there's enough included that a party of 4 could easily have a good taste of each one. No, it wouldn't fill 4 people up for a meal, but as an appetizer it's perfect. For 2 people... yeah, it's enough for a meal.
It is totally enough for two. On my 2017 trip, I gave it my best effort but only managed about 1/2 and was SO full! I think DH and I will split it and go for the big salad as well.

Towards the middle of the trip I found myself at Sanaa. Good thing too; the last trip in 2016 I pulled a massive FAIL and simply forgot about my ADR there.

D'oh! Hope you at least got some PB&J in the meantime.

I arrived in plenty of time for my 5:50 ADR at the Kidani resort and, in fact, was probably early for it. How do I know that? I don't, but from the way things happened, it's a good guess.

I bet you arrived in a helicopter, too.

I was very glad it was still light out so that I could watch the animals... the biggest selling point for me for going to Sanaa.

Having the animals outside there is just magical.

I was not laughing, however, at the disturbing number on the scale after my trip.

But I thought calories didn't count on vacation?

The mix of flavors they include range from spicy and tangy to herb-y and earthy, to sweet and fruity.

I've always wondered what "earthy" means when people describe flavors. Does it taste like dirt? :rotfl2:

The scallops were sadly disappointing. I just didn't care for the combination of flavors and the scallops were a bit rubbery.

Well, that stinks.

No, @Captain_Oblivious it wasn't the greens that wrecked this dish. ;)

I don't believe you. It looks like seaweed, and I can't imagine seaweed improving any dish.

This! A thousand times this.

I'm curious to know what you think would be some good items for that?
I'll chime in :)
For me, it would be more of the hand crafted stuff that most people wouldn't be able to get anywhere else. Admittedly that may not be practical due to supply and importation, but it's nice to think it could be done.
Being Epcot, I'll start with the obvious - alcohol. There are lots of unique craft breweries popping up like Quidi Vidi beer, Newfoundland Distillery (gunpowder & rose rum, seaweed gin), a very unique Iceberg beer, rum & vodka (yes, made with 10,000 year old iceberg water, that would be something different)
There are unique edibles like partirdgeberry and bakeapple jams, chocolate from Newfoundland Chocolate Company, biscuits and cookies unique to the province from Purity Factories or Trinity Bakeshop.
Then you could get into hand sewn/knitted sweaters, mittens, hats, hooked rugs, quilts - all of which are a dying art, but seem to be lasting a bit longer around here.
Maybe even artwork showcasing East Coast scenery. Or jewelry made from Labradorite.
None of this is likely very practical, but it would be nice to show people that there is more than beaver butt soap and hockey pucks in Canada.

Last edited:
I'll chime in :)
For me, it would be more of the hand crafted stuff that most people wouldn't be able to get anywhere else. Admittedly that may not be practical due to supply and importation, but it's nice to think it could be done.
Being Epcot, I'll start with the obvious - alcohol. There are lots of unique craft breweries popping up like Quidi Vidi beer, Newfoundland Distillery (gunpowder & rose rum, seaweed gin), a very unique Iceberg beer, rum & vodka (yes, made with 10,000 year old iceberg water, that would be something different)
There are unique edibles like partirdgeberry and bakeapple jams, chocolate from Newfoundland Chocolate Company, biscuits and cookies unique to the province from Purity Factories or Trinity Bakeshop.
Then you could get into hand sewn/knitted sweaters, mittens, hats, hooked rugs, quilts - all of which are a dying art, but seem to be lasting a bit longer around here.
Maybe even artwork showcasing East Coast scenery. Or jewelry made form Labradorite.
None of this is likely very practical, but it would be nice to show people that there is more than beaver butt soap and hockey pucks in Canada.
Interesting list.
What I don't get is... why aren't they at the very least selling maple syrup? Quebec is responsible for 70% of the world's maple syrup. And... nothing?
That's just the tip of the iceberg. pun may or may not be intended.

I'm curious to know what you think would be some good items for that?
A "did you know" section on each province and territory showcasing information. For example....did you know Prince Edward Island has 365 beaches? One for every day of the year! PEI has the warmest swimming water north of Florida due to the proximity of the Gulf stream to the Island. Potato vodka would be a great sell, blueberry wine, beautiful pottery, jam, art etc.

Just having PEI on the Canadian map at the pavilion would be a good start!

As another Canadian with a unrepresented province, what do you think would represent Manitoba?

A "did you know" section on each province and territory showcasing information. For example....did you know Prince Edward Island has 365 beaches? One for every day of the year! PEI has the warmest swimming water north of Florida due to the proximity of the Gulf stream to the Island. Potato vodka would be a great sell, blueberry wine, beautiful pottery, jam, art etc.

Just having PEI on the Canadian map at the pavilion would be a good start!

As another Canadian with a unrepresented province, what do you think would represent Manitoba?
See even I didn’t know about the beaches or swimming.

Manitoba... hmmm... honey, jams. Perogies! Hmmm... we’re home to some of the world’s best beluga whale watching and the polar bear capital of the world. Just off the top of my head. Souvenir gold or silver coins. We mint coins for over 30 countries. For little girls dreaming of becoming ballerinas, shoes and tutus from Royal Winnipeg Ballet.

Hockey jerseys from the Canadian teams

Anything Winnie the Pooh since he was Canadian.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter