The ABCs of Another Steppe Into Adventure!- Last Africa Ch. + World Showcase Pt. 2

Mmm...fondue. Definitely a good choice for a get-together or special occassion. I've only been to a Melting Pot once, for an anniversary (I forget which one, but several years ago?). Sounds like you guys had fun!

I'm here too!
Panic trying to catch up... everywhere! Your TR is on my list. Honest! I promise! I'll comment!!!!!!

Okay, as stated above I'm playing some MAJOR catch-up here. Don’t know how I lost track of this but I’ll try and catch up from the last place I remember being at :thumbsup2

Welcome back! :) Glad you are sticking around!

Wrapping up your time in Freetown with that bucket bath and the concept of “good enough” reminds me of my Army days. Bummer about the loss of the French press, sure makes it harder to get going in the morning. Funny about the gal saying Rebekah’s hair was slippery but very soft :teeth:

The trip definitely has some highs and lows. Lack of coffee was not a happy point.

Bird on a Wire AND Unladen Swallow in one go – well done! :jumping1:

I was actually pretty proud of that one. ;)

Great shots of those old late 1700s houses and crazy that they've lasted this long in that climate.

RIGHT!?

Ahmed’s story is amazing – so sad that he wasn’t able to return to Mayola before his father passed. So very cool that you were able to return to the village with him now that he has accomplished so much for them :goodvibes

It truly is! Just a very inspirational person for sure.

Sooooo funny that you left your camera in a car again :D

It's what I do! :rotfl2:

Crazy the little things you take for granted like good tires, real bathrooms, charged batteries. So funny that you harkened to the Safari Ride at WDW in describing that dirt road.

I have much better photos coming up!

And for Ahmed to let you in like that, speaking about paying his respects to his father and grieve. And then watching what happened between him and his grandmother and the welcome at the village - very powerful. But crazy that you came in on the last day of school and didn’t get any sleep from them partying!
It was, as you, very powerful. I felt very privileged to have been "let in".

Beautiful shots in the Africa land of AK, I will be in Orlando at the Dolphin resort for a conference and if I had the time, AK is where I would go. But sadly a park visit just isn’t in the cards this time :confused3

Ah shoot! I wish you could slip in for a day at the parks. I think if I also had only one day, I'd choose AK too.

That chimp kicking back was hilarious. And loved the antics of the meerkats set to your prose.

Glad you enjoyed that! :goodvibes

I wish I had it in me to caption that photo – my brain is just mush and I kept just fixating on the woman’s puffy sleeve that looked like it was swallowing her hand.

LOL! I saw a lot of puffy sleeves!

Sending good mojo to you for your May 7th FAA exam!!! :goodvibes:goodvibes:goodvibes

THanks! I made HUGE progress today in studying and am getting some private tutoring on Saturday and Sunday.

Nice Throw Mama from the Train reference to start your “L” chapter. And you should have the warmer temps finally – we’re hitting 80 degrees today or close to it! Nice job with the night shots at the resort though – love the water reflections.

WE are too. Sooooo nice! Breaking records 2 days in a row now.

And thanks. I really enjoyed wandering around that evening.

That is quite the map of your travels! Mayola is way out there isn’t it? Couldn’t help but notice all of your other browsing tabs including two DISBoards and the one on Ebola! No breakfast or coffee and another harrowing trip and river crossing – but worse having to deal with a bureaucrat to get permission to do some good there. And all of that Ebola stuff. Kudos to you and your team for getting out there and doing this, especially with you having no voice or much energy to work with :cheer2:

It is pretty much in the deep boonies. About as far out to the "ends of the Earth" as one can get.

Yes, I was researching a bit to make sure my stats were accurate, and was once again pretty floored at the sheer numbers. So sad.

It is pathetic when someone stands in the way of helping people for their own pride and arrogance.

Hey, you were at DLR on/around my birthday! And a big YES and PRETTY PLEASE to share those outrageous “Steppesister Moments”! ...and I turn the page to my pleas being answered! So you flew out the day after my B-Day :thumbsup2

Well, a belated Happy Birthday, Sir!!! YAY!!! Outrageous moments forthcoming. Those happened on Days 3 and 4. ;)

Huzzah for starting out with a DISMeet! It looked like a great crowd to share drinks and Disney goodness with! Very cool Shrimp plant. And to follow it up with that great sunset view at the Crab Pot. Sounded like a delicious dinner and a good time for sure!

It was a great crowd! Plenty of kicks and giggles and getting to know each other better.

Purdy cactus flowers! And what a fun meal to have – I haven’t done fondue in FOREVER! What a great way to end day 2! Looking forward to more WDW/DLR/African Adventures! ::yes::

The Potheads keep the yucks coming as we share more Disney Fun...

Ive been reading along but way too swamped to comment on anything and i have another weekend at the Grand coming up which promises to be way more brain cell destroying than the last since i really had no partners in crime over the weekend last time
Hey Alison,

Know you're busy with loads of fun DISMeets. :) If we ever get together again (possibly August or Sept?? let me know on that) I will certainly be your partner in crime. ;)

Mmm...fondue. Definitely a good choice for a get-together or special occassion. I've only been to a Melting Pot once, for an anniversary (I forget which one, but several years ago?). Sounds like you guys had fun!
We all really enjoyed it so much. Well, at least I think the others did. LOL! I wonder if they'd tell me if they didn't. HAHAHAHAHA!

I need that cheese again! So yum!

I'm here too!
Panic trying to catch up... everywhere! Your TR is on my list. Honest! I promise! I'll comment!!!!!!
Calm down. ;) LOL! This thread's not going anywhere fast. I do hope to start working on a new WDW chapter though tonight.

Well, I WAS going to work on my next WDW update, but nooooooooo, SmugMug is down? NONE of my images are showing in my 'K' OR 'L' chapters, and don't seem to be working on the SmugMug website either. Super upset because I had to go through the trouble of switching to it from PB. Boo!!

At least I can write and kinda get it started. Which means it's time to remind those of you who are on the scoreboard and may want to still get guesses in for the K and L chapters, it's time. 'L' only had a Mystery Photo (and an easy one at that!) and Letter K had a few items to hunt for. I am thinking it'll take a week or so for me to get it posted, but... you never know. Still lots of time to play and have fun.

@rndmr2 , @amazingact21 , @Chrystmasangel , @Captain_Oblivious , @Terra Nova guy

Hey Alison,

Know you're busy with loads of fun DISMeets. :) If we ever get together again (possibly August or Sept?? let me know on that) I will certainly be your partner in crime. ;)

Were we taliking about August or September? I thought we were talking annual at DL in March. I'm too dunk to remeber now!

But certainly you can crash on the couch and we can hang out in the CL and have Mitchell time! Will be explained in a future post!

Were we taliking about August or September? I thought we were talking annual at DL in March. I'm too dunk to remeber now!

But certainly you can crash on the couch and we can hang out in the CL and have Mitchell time! Will be explained in a future post!
Silly Goose! PMing you now....

In the end, the only food fighting was that of trying to finish. We came very close, but The Rapture was tough on a few potatoes and some were left behind.

:rotfl:

Poor potatoes!

This time I made my own way to our venue- one we’d chosen (again) months before: The Melting Pot in Irvine. I'm tempted to nickname our little DISGroup "The Potheads" since this is the 2nd Restaurant dubbed Something Pot we had gone to in 2 nights.

Hmmm...seems to me like an appropriate group name that won't be misconstrued in any way! :laughing:

Also, if you think about it, I could use some good thoughts and encouragement. I'm down to 2 weeks now before my exam and feeling rather shaky on one last big piece- using the manual flight calculator and navigation stuff. I am going to schedule some extra tutoring with a Flight Instructor for next weekend probably. EEK! Thanks!

I'll be thinking of you and sending some good vibes your way! I can only imagine how intense this kind of exam can be. As someone who just recently finished writing a handful of challenging exams—though none to do with flight!—I have an idea of what you're going through!

At least I can write and kinda get it started. Which means it's time to remind those of you who are on the scoreboard and may want to still get guesses in for the K and L chapters, it's time. 'L' only had a Mystery Photo (and an easy one at that!) and Letter K had a few items to hunt for. I am thinking it'll take a week or so for me to get it posted, but... you never know. Still lots of time to play and have fun.

I'll have to try and find the K and L chapters again. But if the images aren't working, will that mean I can't make any guesses?

ETA: found the chapters. Photos worked fine for me.

Last edited:
I'm going to try during my lunch break! Just been so busy with life lately. Here's a link to my post over in the "man cave". https://www.disboards.com/threads/d...of-the-disdads.3358596/page-868#post-59137351

Post these answers:

1) Language lessons with Steppe: What does Kwaherini mean?

2) What’s your personal favorite photo from this update and why?

3) Honest now? Have you ever noticed the balloon ride mural? How about the Africa entrance ‘gates’ on that side?

4) I mentioned two of my pet peeves up there. What is your biggest pet peeve at Disney?
1) well, I remember them saying it as you leave the safari truck, so I figured it was some kind of goodbye. Honestly, I googled and says it's "go well" or "farewell"
2) I like the giraffe wreath made from bottle caps. I think I said that was my favourite decoration as well, but I really do like it. It's a giraffe made from bottle caps. It shouldn't be Christmas-sy, but it works.
3) Balloon ride mural - no. Africa gats, yes. If I'm not mistaken, I watched Mickey's Jammin' Jungle parade standing next to those gates.
4) I think it's slow walkers, or those who stop mid-stride right in the middle of the walkway. I can't say I've never done it on occasion myself, but I always try to be mindful of those behind when walking around in crowds. If you need to stop for discussion, it's just polite to drop off to the side when you can.

wherein Steppe almost spent a very long time in Disney in not such a nice way,

Oh??? You didn't mention anything I don't think?

“choked” with epic proportions,

I don't remember that either, so must have been with your other (non-Disney) friends. Hope you were okay!

ate her weight in food

Ah yes... I may have followed suit! :laughing:

and ended the trip with one last sprinkling of pixie dust.

Good! Can't wait to find out what it was. :)

as always, she never wanted to go home.

<sigh> Yeah... I totally get that. :)

Let’s begin as all travel from dreary Portland does- with a good pair of new boots and a latte. It’s what’s done.

Remind me to never travel to/from Portland. I don't do lattes.

My flights were completely uneventful last Thursday, and I arrived to meet a gorgeous, sunny sky in SoCal ready to soak up some very much needed Vitamin D.

Wasn't that weather wonderful? I did not miss wearing a parka.

To fill in the gaps, just know I spent some time with a good friend generally hanging out doing a lot of reconnecting.

Sounds very nice. Glad you had a nice time meeting up (again, I presume) with a good friend. :)

Now, let’s get to the parts you’d be interested in. You know, the usual Steppe shenanigans that keep life umm…. exciting.

Yeah!!! Let's go!!!

PK was nice enough to offer rides when needed so we met at a convenient place and headed over to Alison and Fran’s place.

It just made sense to me... and to you too, apparently. :)

It was a perfect, beautiful setting by the pool for our little get-together.

That was really nice. So relaxing.

Hands down FAR better than it’s American cousin.

But of course it was.

No, I didn’t take a photo. I’m sure the others did.

Um.... I haven't looked yet, but... I'm not sure if I did or not.

Among many other topics, SoCal flora popped up and I had to pause to admire Alison’s "Shrimp Plant".

You do love your plants. :)

Our view:

I loved that view. So foreign from what I'm used to.
Namely... Plains.

our order of seafood was dumped onto our paper covered table.

I loved that!!! I'd waited a long time to see (and eat!) that.

but food was thrown. Off the table and into (most of the time) a big bowl set next to us on the floor

::yes:: Man that was fun!

Is it just me or is crab a crap-ton of work?

It's not just you. Luckily, it was delicious.

commented on the hurricane-force winds blowing outside,

That was a bit wild. More than a bit.

I can’t speak for the others, but I left looking EXACTLY like this:

:lmao:
Where did you take that? I didn't notice a tank?

Wherein We Dipped But Were Not Skinny

Never was I more disappointed.

Still.... the food and company was good, so I shouldn't be too sad.

I never get tired of SoCal beauty with the desert and Mediterranean flora.

Beautiful!

I'm tempted to nickname our little DISGroup "The Potheads" since this is the 2nd Restaurant dubbed Something Pot we had gone to in 2 nights.

:laughing: I did notice that of the two restaurants we picked, they both had "pot" as part of their names.

I’d not ever gotten to do restaurant fondue before so thought this would be a fun, interactive choice for us all. Glad they’d agreed. It’d have been a lonely meal otherwise.

I've done it once before (just the meat one, not cheese or chocolate) and have had fondue at home several times (both meat and chocolate), but never had a cheese one. I really enjoyed that.

Pkondz and I arrived first, and Fran, Alison, and Kari were a little behind us, but not much,

That was okay. Gave us a chance to sit and chat in the lounge before they arrived. That was nice. I enjoyed our chat very much. :)

The restaurant was darker than I thought it’d be, which for me kinda detracted from the experience

I remember you mentioning that. I didn't mind it, but it did make seeing what you were eating a bit more problematic. Maybe that was their goal all along?

Trust me when I tell that there was more than edible cheese going on around the table.

:rolleyes1

I think we all liked both cheese blends brought

Yep. We tried them both and liked them both. But I too might have picked differently. Still.... I certainly didn't dislike what we had. :)

(well, 3rd if you count salad, which I don’t)-

Nor do I.

Salad? There was salad? :rolleyes:

the broth or oil that your meats would be cooked in.

Broth. Why do oil when you can do broth???

which was a nice change from the whiney back home and at work.

Ouch. Well, glad you could get a respite from that. Always nice to have a little escape from reality.

I think there were I dunno, I wasn’t counting 6 or 7? meats to dip

Sounds about right.

I got a chuckle out of the "extra" utensil put on the table for accidents. If you’ve ever “done” fondue you know what I’m talking about.

::yes::

I didn't know beforehand... but I do now... and will use it in the future, at home!

It was passed around a lot like a virile cold.

Ew!!! :lmao:

For me, the dipping sauces MADE this course much better.

::yes:: The sauces make a fondue. Otherwise it's just.... meat.

It was at this point that Mr. Cleaner-Upper Nazi sprang into action!

That guy was intense! :eek:

Ladies and Gentlemen, keep your hands, legs, arms and other necessary body parts close in. They may get skewered at any time with his lightning fast moves while doing his job.

No kidding! I was afraid to move when he was around. No... really!

He was fascinating to watch.

You could watch him??? He was just a blur!!

Kari was leery so hid her poking sticks under the table so he couldn’t get his greedy, yet efficient hands on them. I about died laughing while hoping she wouldn't stab me.

That was hilarious! I remember the mischievous look on her face as she slowly showed them to us. :laughing:

Only one of us lost an eye before it was time to choose our chocolate course.

pirate:

Fran and Alison ordered the one with booze (is anyone surprised?)

:rolleyes2

Who doesn’t love fire?! It was a light bulb moment for all of us- like, “OH! Duh, okay, S’Mores. That makes sense.”

:eek: Is that why???? :faint: I didn't figure that out until you just said it!!!

Okay... (no surprise).... I'm dense.

we took turns immersing our treasures of pound cake, rice krispy treats, brownies, fruits, and other delicacies into the molten deliciousness.

God, that was good. So decadent..... Let's do it again!

I took VERY few photos from this dinner.

Me too. There is just a time to be with friends and a time to take photos. Rarely do the two coincide.

I think it’s a lot of fun for any age.

They could even have a healthy option called the Skinny Dip.

That's actually quite clever.
I wonder if it would be too risqué for Disney?

Also, if you think about it, I could use some good thoughts and encouragement. I'm down to 2 weeks now before my exam and feeling rather shaky on one last big piece- using the manual flight calculator and navigation stuff. I am going to schedule some extra tutoring with a Flight Instructor for next weekend probably. EEK! Thanks!

Sending good thoughts your way! Although it sounds like you've gotten a handle on it. Good for you!!

Every moment (except maybe 2) was truly magical in every way, and, as always, she never wanted to go home.

Wonderful! Glad this was everything you needed.

You know, the usual Steppe shenanigans that keep life umm…. exciting.

Where did you leave your camera and underwear this time?

By the time I arrived, picked up my rental car, and got settled in my digs, it was time to meet up with the gang. PK was nice enough to offer rides when needed so we met at a convenient place and headed over to Alison and Fran’s place. So exciting!!! It was a perfect, beautiful setting by the pool for our little get-together.

Looks like a really nice place to hang out!

Maybe having to work for your dinner makes it more delicious?

Not if you're lazy. You know, like me.

Is it just me or is crab a crap-ton of work? At times, it felt like I was fighting way too hard for with my food for a bite or two.

This is why I usually don't order ribs. Too much work for too little meat.

We laughed, told stories, threatened each other with mallets and shell crackers pirate:, commented on the hurricane-force winds blowing outside, and began to plan our Disney Monday.

So, a standard DIS Meet, then.

We came very close, but The Rapture was tough on a few potatoes and some were left behind.

:rotfl2::rotfl2: Great line!

I'm tempted to nickname our little DISGroup "The Potheads" since this is the 2nd Restaurant dubbed Something Pot we had gone to in 2 nights.

I like it! Let's go with it.

It was gooey, flavorful, and came with all kinds of stuff to dunk. Like vegetables, so we know at least one DISser will probably not go. The bread, 3 kinds, was amazing, and maybe my favorite of the whole meal food-wise. Yummy! Bread smothered in (real) cheese sauce.

You might be amazed to know that I've been to the Melting Pot before--we have one in Wilmington, DE. It's fun to do something "different". Julie likes it more than I do. I really like the cheese and chocolate courses. Salad is salad, of course. And the meat is essentially boiled meat, which is not really exciting. You need the sauces to kind of cover that fact up. :rotfl:

I got a chuckle out of the "extra" utensil put on the table for accidents. If you’ve ever “done” fondue you know what I’m talking about.

Come back here, you little piece of shiitake!

I see what you did there!

For me, the dipping sauces MADE this course much better. Sure, cooked meat is great, but slathered with gorgonzola or garlic or sweet and sour? Heck yes!

I always wonder why they have a "head chef". I'm cooking my own meal! :lmao:

After the shaved choco had melted to its ooey-gooey goodness, and the cream was poured in, our server lit the whole thing… ON FIRE!!!! Who doesn’t love fire?!

Pyrotechnics make everything better!

I'm down to 2 weeks now before my exam and feeling rather shaky on one last big piece- using the manual flight calculator and navigation stuff. I am going to schedule some extra tutoring with a Flight Instructor for next weekend probably. EEK! Thanks!

You got this!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter