The ABCs of Another Steppe Into Adventure!- Last Africa Ch. + World Showcase Pt. 2

What were once sterile gloves were tossed in and compromised and I was getting more and more irritated and upset with each moment.

That definitely seems like the most stressful part of the unpacking/re-packing experience! Disorganized is one thing, but compromised sterility is another. Just thinking about the kid with the scratch that became infected in your other post...

On the other hand, I learned a valuable lesson: a detailed manifest would have been helpful for the medical supplies we were taking which would have saved some time when we got there. As for our personal items, now parsed out to 14 other bags, time would tell us whether we’d see them again.

I hope everything showed up!

It was also the last red meat I ate for 10 days.

Yeah, not a whole lot of grass for grazing cattle in Africa.

Oh, and speaking of groundnut stew - I'm not positive if I had some (probably), but I do remember that The Gambia was my first experience with natural style peanut butter, and the concept that it didn't need refrigeration. Peanuts / ground nuts are a common crop in West Africa, but they don't add all the other stuff you get in the brand name stuff. This was before natural style peanut butter became more popularized in the US, although dh says he discovered it in college (about the same time), at Trader Joe's.

I also enjoyed watching the other passengers who were obviously traveling with us to W. Africa. Their beautiful, colorful outfits lent an exotic touch to the otherwise ordinary and somewhat drab Departures Hall. The melancholy of leaving Disney was still fresh and, while the mood should have been extreme excitement, the transition from order, the known, and comfortable to the unknown, disorganized, and difficult was admittedly weighing on me.

African cloth is amazing. I got a couple things made while I was in The Gambia, although somewhat tamer colors than most Africans tend to wear. I loved the authentic African fashion - sadly, much of our excess clothes end up in Africa and has really dealt a heavy blow to the local clothing manufacturing economy.

So, here is our team with the leading presidential candidate.

If he does end up famous, or infamous, this will be an even more interesting souvenir!

Surprisingly, we were given lifevests, and then given a choice of down below or “on deck”. Below was over-crowded and stuffy, so we chose up top in case something went awry and we could bail off quickly.

I'm going to say that I agree with your decision on this one!

Wow, what a beginning to the Africa portion of the trip. The bars on the windows thing got me thinking. It's so true, something that seems kind of shocking the first time you see it, and then you just get used to it and don't even notice anymore. Sad that it is necessary but what can you do. What a day of travel, I can't imagine how tired you must have been after all that. You are such a great writer though...I can't wait to hear about the rest of the trip!

But not too many. Because then it becomes a majority.

That's a very good point. Then again, I did put out the call to anyone who wanted to join and got a total of 1. So.... the chances of it getting to big are rather small I'd imagine. ;)

I know, right? Like... I don't think I do that more than once or twice a week!

:laughing:

Yes, I know. And yet.... I still didn't expect that! I thought "Oh, we'll maybe see some people dressed up here and there... maybe..."

Sur-priiiiiiiise!!!

:laughing: Thanks. But I still look like a big galoot.

:goofy:

I wouldn't know! :laughing: The thought of the area, just doesn't appeal. Kind of like the dinosaur area of Animal Kingdom.

I get that. But it's at least worth a visit once... no?

The best laid plans... :sad:

We tried our best...

Given shipping costs, that makes sense, albeit not fun sense.

It's too bad that the excesses couldn't have gone with the cargo container they'd shipped in Sept. And the only bags taken were the ones allotted. ?

You've heard of Orange is the new black?
Messy is the new neat?

:rotfl: Messy is a good starting point adjective.

Come on, you only wanted one boot anyway. Who REALLY needs two boots after all?
Although, I personally don't like coffee, hopefully you were able to get the coffee and french press reunited.
I think the part that would have really gotten on my nerves is the sterile gloves becoming no longer so. :sad: On the other hand, I imagine it mattered less than it would in the states. I hope this doesn't come across as snooty, it's just I think many countries care less about sterility than we do and also have a much better resistance/tolerance to unsanitary conditions. We're spoiled!

Yes, the new fashion statement is one tennis shoe and one boot.

could be, but then again, I do think they have a higher incidence of infection in general. Especially postpartum. But yes, we do have high standards in terms in clean/sterile.

And you didn't bring me any?? :sad2:

Sleep was higher on the must-do list. And the airport priced me out of my gift budget.

Smile Steppe!

That photo cracked me up so hard.

Isn't it amazing how everything looks so peaceful from the air? That's the real reason you're getting your license, isn't it? Come on, fess up!

Well, kinda. More to just prove to myself that I can, but it is beautiful up there!

I'd have to take protein bars and/or peanut butter. I don't care for fish that much and eating it all the time would....well, I guess that'd be one way for me to lose weight. ;)

I did lose 10 pounds. And I like almost everything. I think I sweated off my daily calories. No. Really.

You failed to insert a word...."I'm-the-mean-Mom-card".
Or the mean mom phrase..."I brought you into this world, I can take you out too! Gimme the pillow!"
:lmao:

Obviously someone failed to mention you're royalty and prepare your palatial accommodations appropriately.

That would have worked. LOL!

And yes. I mean...

princess: << Steppe >> princess:

Yes, the new fashion statement is one tennis shoe and one boot.
See, they were just the fashion police. They put one boot and one tennis shoe in each bag so even if one got lost, you were good to go!

Well, kinda. More to just prove to myself that I can, but it is beautiful up there!
I have no doubt you will.

I did lose 10 pounds. And I like almost everything. I think I sweated off my daily calories. No. Really.
I don't doubt that. When we were in St Croix, I was literally drinking about 5 gallons of water each day and sweating it just as fast. I didn't weigh myself, but I wouldn't be surprised if we all lost weight. I know my clothes weighed about 10 lbs more in the evening than they did that morning.

OK so let's see...I read the Dapper Days update a while back. You two looked great! The story about the Fascinator was interesting and how it evolved over the years. I might enjoy attending one of these Dapper Days someday.

I think you probably would, Alison! And I think the Haunted Mansion dress you have with some fun accessories would be perfect!

Your GF Tea sounded interesting. I might like to try it sometime, but it isn't Fran's cup of tea. See what I did there? :laughing:

Maybe if we find ourselves in WDW together, we could go while Fran sleeps or something. ??

Not sure if I already said it, but congratulations on becoming a grandma! You'll have years of joy and spoiling little one(s) ahead of you! :goodvibes

Yes, but not for a while. She will have to live in the States for me to be able to spoil too rotten. LOL!

About the whole Africa thing. There is no way that I could have dealt with that situation in the airport. Did you ship your Disney clothes home after your trip? I know you couldn't have anticipated that situation, but I would have freaked out if my clothing and stuff were strewn over 14 different suitcases!

I left my bag in DC with my sister, where it was safe from pillaging.

And the lack of control, just no. I don't know how you can be so "go with the flow". And talk about a long scary travel day! You have convinced me that Sierra Leone is not on my bucket list. On the positive side, your accommodations are much more than I expected. Somehow I thought you would be staying in mud huts, with mid floors, like you described in Crapistan.

I normally really am. Really. I am pretty laid back, but this was so... I dunno.... weird. I have plenty of stories from Crapistan that I can throw in here for good measure and comparison, but nothing was this chaotic in all my travels. On the way home, I did count the hours from door to door: 36. Long days for sure.

After all the replies, I'm going to say a word more about our "city accommodations".... I think a bit needs some clarifying.

Perhaps when we meet up in April, if the elections have happened, you can tell me more details if you know them. Not dying to know, but might like to hear more if you care to share. I didn't think about it until you brought it up, but seeing a candidate and then not knowing their views, you certainly might not want to appear in a picture with them!

I would love to!! It'll make some interesting dinner conversation for sure!

Uh, oh.... imminent fore-shadowing....

Yeppers!

I am prepared to judge!

(I'm very judgy, you know.)

I said earlier, you're not snooty, snotty, or snobby... I should have thrown in judgy.

I am very familiar with this. We did similar for about 10 years. Except we'd do it ourselves, everytime we would head south.

You do what you gotta do. I get it!

Oh, that looks, very... um.... organized......... um....

I think some organization on the front end... OH. NM there was none on the other end either.

Is that one of your boots in the above photo?

Yes. Lonely looking, no?

Oy. The term "sterile" being a foreign concept perhaps?

Perhaps?

Man... I can't imagine how frustrated you must have been.
"Listen. You want to mess your stuff up? No problem. See these? These are off limits."

Actually.... Do that next time.

Oh, I definitely will. Lessons learned in that department for sure!

:wave: me! I knew!

On a recent trip (don't recall which) I was overweight.

So was my checked bag.

LOLOL! Overweight? Must've been a Disney trip!! :laughing:

:sad2:

I wonder if she'll get reimbursed?

She did. :)

What the what?

Super popular, everyday dish there:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/217952/west-african-peanut-stew/

https://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Classic-West-African-Peanut-Stew

Well, for all your travails, you certainly look happy!

Smile and wave, smile and wave. :)

:hug:

I can see how that would require a major shift in thought process and emotions.

I knew it'd be a dichotomy of the most profound kind, but this was so, SO far out of my expectations it was a bit jarring.

Right. Pretty. Left....... not so much.

:lmao::lmao::lmao:I was wondering who'd notice that!

Ah. Betty I presume.

No, the lady in the bright yellow African garb that we saw during checking in. Sweet, but very travel UNsavvy.

You can't sleep on planes, too?

I used to be able to. Not so much anymore. :(

What is that?

upload_2017-12-19_17-44-24.png

I think you want to follow the advice of your jacket.

HAHA, I got loads of comments on that jacket, and had to telll everyone that it's Michaela's. I love it, but more for the style and comfort. ;)

I can see that too. At least if it turns out he's a despot, you can claim not to have known that.
"I thought he was a movie star!"

Good comeback!

Fess up. Despite your lack of sleep... how excited were you right then?

Okay, fine. VERY!!!!!

You consider this small?

You ain't seen small then.

Well, you HAVE seen the one I will train for flying at. And yes, 747s HAVE landed there. THAT one is tiny!

I'm trying to think... I know there's a major airport on an island... Hong Kong?

could be?? Not sure!

Ah. So... "slightly faster boat" would be more accurate.

Correct!

Oh, man. I love this photo! I'm not sure why, but it really does draw me in!

Thanks! I screamed, "Take my photo!!"

This one too. Not as much as the previous, but... Me like.

And I like this one more. Those were the only 2 artsy-fartsy ones I could manage so far. I promise the photos DO get better as the trip goes on. But none are what I'd call spectacular.

Why, "surprisingly"?

Resources are just so few in all sectors, I honestly thought they'd be non-existent.

Probably a good call. Were you guys feeling less than secure?

I bit. Every year there seems to be a ferry disaster somewhere in the world where loads of people die- Indonesia, China, etc... I didn't want to be a statistic. I had actually contemplated taking my own inflatable lifevest before leaving and ran out of time and space.

We're just happy you took any at all!

There are loads more!

So..... you're saying it was hot?

Just a little.

Now I know I want to go!
Impromptu wet T-shirt contests! All right!!! :woohoo:

:duck:

Dork.

In international waters? Or SL waters?

That is a good question.

Here's a good article outlining the enormity of the problem. It's not just SL, but Senegal and Camaroon as well. If you Google "Chinese overfishing off W. Africa" LOADS of articles come up.

I note the upside down plates. And am not surprised at all.

For the amount of raw sewage and garbage ALL over the city, I was actually surprised there weren't MORE flies.

Er.... filled the floor? What?

More about our accommodations after replies. Some things need clarifying.

"The fan's on!"
<There was great rejoicing.>
"Whup! Nevermind. It's off again."

All night long. On, off... on, off....

Wonderful read, Liesa! <applause>
I can't wait to read more of your adventures!

Thanks, PK. This TR is somewhat serving the purpose of a diary of sorts. Enjoy!

AWW! So sweet! :lovestruc Congratulations on your new precious granddaughter! Are they the ones that live far away? Have you seen her in person yet?

Thanks! I love her already! Yes, our son and his wife, and now baby, live in Guam on Andersen AFB. :)

We will be traveling to Bowling Green, KY on the 29th for a short visit and stay with my folks. We'll get to hold her for a few days, and then have to send them off again.

Thanks for sharing your Africa travel day, wow! Crazy! :faint: I don't think I would have been too happy with the dispersing of all the bags/boxes either. You probably did the right thing walking away and letting them handle it.

You are more than welcome. It's good to re-live it all and be able to share the adventures we had. I promise, there are lots more stories to fill pages of this TR with! ;)

I agree with others, Your accommodations were better than I was expecting them to be. Good for you for claiming the pillow :thumbsup2

See below... I'll will fill in the details on this in a separate post.

It's great to pull rank once in a while.

Awesome to hear! It has been quite some time since last I visited these hallowed halls.

Life is good!

And we have certainly missed you!!!!!!

I’m officially in remission, the girls are growing exponentially and keeping me busier than ever, I’m on a project now that has kept my editing PC blazing long into the night and I’m just about to embark on a rather peculiar yet exciting new adventure involving our beloved vacation destination.

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

That's certainly dancing banana worthy!!

Hmm... will you do a TR on that trip? Consider my interest piqued!

Awesome update! I am reading/posting on my phone so I am unable to quote easily, but I loved the arrival sequence.

Thanks!! It was quite the adventure. And there are more where that came from!

That sounds crazy stressful.

That is an understatment.

I get exactly what you are saying food wise. I’m thinking I would be decidedly less fluffy after a visit to West Africa. It’s definitely not all Jiko all the time.

If you don't like fish, you'd starve. That and cassava leaves. Or spicy food.

I enjoy your use of foreshadowing and am anxious to see whether your items ever surfaced, and what other events caused you the ponder the logistics of your postmortem transportation.

There are plenty...

Du- du- duhmm.....

:scared:

Oh my goodness! This is, by far, the most eventful travel day I've ever read about on the Dis! What a wild experience you've already had, and the trip is only just beginning. :eek:

I'd like to say I was exaggerating, but that was not the case. And this was just the beginning...

I can only imagine how anxious and frustrated you were with the re-packing situation. Especially when dealing with compromised sterile equipment.

Every fiber of my Nurse-Being was cringing. :scared: Those gloves may very well end up being used for a delivery or minor surgery. Sigh....

I could just feel my own body starting to crash just reading about the exhausting travelling you went through...

We've done that many times, so knew what to expect in that dept. But yes, extremely tiring.

How lucky to have a fan!! ...and no electricity to run it. :laughing:

Running water would have been nice too. :lmao:

Looking forward to following this trip. I'm sure you had mixed feelings about everything you saw and went through there, but also how fulfilling and unique an experience it must have been.

Well stated, as you shall see...

Liesa, I read your last update with both a tear and a smile.

Good! That's exactly the emotional response I was hoping for!

A tear because I can only imagine how difficult it must have been. I would have had a hard time coping at least. I am someone who likes order and simplicity. The unfamiliar chaos would have been very rough.

I like to think I"m a pretty flexible person who can deal with a fair amount of the unforeseen and work with it, but 10 days of unending chaos was a lot to deal with.

A smile because in my "former working life" overseas, I experienced just a taste of being in an unfamiliar place. Brunei lies closer to North America on the spectrum than Freetown, but begins to drift enough that it feels different and there's a certain familiarity with what you experienced, just many times diminished.

I think anyone who's left their home culture and has experienced the host culture through their eyes will begin to see how very different things can be. Mindsets, values, ways of coping, etc... I learned a lot about how tenacious these folks are in the midst of NO resources and yet how joyful they are despite. I knew you would be able to enjoy it on the level you just described and am glad it brought a tiny bit of familiarity to you. :)

Makes all the easier to read of course knowing that you've arrived safely home, though forever changing, no doubt.

It was definitely an impactful trip for us. And there's more to come!

I liked the retelling of your travel days. It reminded me of my own trips to Bolivia and Indonesia. I like the sound of ground nut stew but in the past 15 years I have developed a peanut and tree nut allergy so it would most likely kill me. The bars on the windows we had in both Bolivia and Indonesia along with glass or barbed wire on the wall around the houses.

That definitely seems like the most stressful part of the unpacking/re-packing experience! Disorganized is one thing, but compromised sterility is another. Just thinking about the kid with the scratch that became infected in your other post...

I just don't think they were in the mindset of medical equipment needing to be kept organized and well cared for. It only gets.... worse. :(

Yeah, not a whole lot of grass for grazing cattle in Africa.

I think there is plenty of green in W. Africa, but no, not a lot of just grass except the tall, very stiff roadside grass. I don't know if it's suitable for cattle or not, or if they are just too expensive raise, or?? It's mostly chicken and fish.

Oh, and speaking of groundnut stew - I'm not positive if I had some (probably), but I do remember that The Gambia was my first experience with natural style peanut butter, and the concept that it didn't need refrigeration. Peanuts / ground nuts are a common crop in West Africa, but they don't add all the other stuff you get in the brand name stuff. This was before natural style peanut butter became more popularized in the US, although dh says he discovered it in college (about the same time), at Trader Joe's.

That's what we prefer and use, and I think the concept of using it in savory dishes is absolutely 100% foreign to most in N. America. Just not something we're used to. But, it IS very tasty and makes for a nice hearty and healthy meal!

African cloth is amazing. I got a couple things made while I was in The Gambia, although somewhat tamer colors than most Africans tend to wear. I loved the authentic African fashion - sadly, much of our excess clothes end up in Africa and has really dealt a heavy blow to the local clothing manufacturing economy.

Me too!! so happy and bright and fun! I bought a nice dress there, but will likely never really wear it here. And you're right, I saw mostly western style clothes on the children, but the adults were in mostly traditional clothing, be it Muslim or African. Just lovely!

If he does end up famous, or infamous, this will be an even more interesting souvenir!

HAHA, I didn't think of it that way. :)

I'm going to say that I agree with your decision on this one!

;)

Wow, what a beginning to the Africa portion of the trip. The bars on the windows thing got me thinking. It's so true, something that seems kind of shocking the first time you see it, and then you just get used to it and don't even notice anymore. Sad that it is necessary but what can you do. What a day of travel, I can't imagine how tired you must have been after all that. You are such a great writer though...I can't wait to hear about the rest of the trip!

Very true. Getting used to something is half the battle.

I was quite tired, but being in a new place and all the stress and excitement of that made sleep elusive. The holidays have made free time a bit more scarce, but, work is slowing down a bit, and I'll keep plugging away at it.

See, they were just the fashion police. They put one boot and one tennis shoe in each bag so even if one got lost, you were good to go!

Ah! Of course!! Makes total sense. ;)

I have no doubt you will.

I guess I'd better get back to studying!

I don't doubt that. When we were in St Croix, I was literally drinking about 5 gallons of water each day and sweating it just as fast. I didn't weigh myself, but I wouldn't be surprised if we all lost weight. I know my clothes weighed about 10 lbs more in the evening than they did that morning.

I really don't mind the humidity in general, but this just took things to a brand new, off-the-charts level. I LOVE Florida weather, but wowza!!! Plus, well.... as you'l see... I just packed altogether wrong. :(

I liked the retelling of your travel days. It reminded me of my own trips to Bolivia and Indonesia. I like the sound of ground nut stew but in the past 15 years I have developed a peanut and tree nut allergy so it would most likely kill me. The bars on the windows we had in both Bolivia and Indonesia along with glass or barbed wire on the wall around the houses.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. I have more stories where those came from! :)

Yes, many areas of the world share some similar things- in a lot of ways, N. America is quite different. OH boy!! Yeah W. Africa may not be the place for you. Peanuts are everywhere!

You will see photos for sure of the glass and barbed wire fence toppers- coming up!!

That's a very good point. Then again, I did put out the call to anyone who wanted to join and got a total of 1. So.... the chances of it getting to big are rather small I'd imagine. ;)

And really... considering I was the one... what more do you need?

:rolleyes1

Sur-priiiiiiiise!!!

::yes::

I wish! He has more hair.
Find a goofier looking, balding Goofy and you'll be on target.

I get that. But it's at least worth a visit once... no?

Yes. I do mean to go there some day. I just keep forgetting to.... every time.

I said earlier, you're not snooty, snotty, or snobby... I should have thrown in judgy.

You forgot handsome and smart.

Oh, wait... you said "not".... Whelp.... so much for the "smart" part!

You do what you gotta do. I get it!

Yup.

I think some organization on the front end... OH. NM there was none on the other end either.

Apparently. :hug:

Yes. Lonely looking, no?

Sad was the word I was thinking. But lonely works.

Oh, I definitely will. Lessons learned in that department for sure!

Good! Next time will be better.

LOLOL! Overweight? Must've been a Disney trip!! :laughing:

::yes::

oh good! Had my doubts, to be honest.

Thanks for that. Not a fan of sweet potatoes, so I'd substitute in... potatoes.
Never had collared greens, maybe? Or just once?

Smile and wave, smile and wave. :)

Sure! Put on a show and maybe someone will believe you!

I knew it'd be a dichotomy of the most profound kind, but this was so, SO far out of my expectations it was a bit jarring.

Jarring.... now there's a word. :hug:

:lmao::lmao::lmao:I was wondering who'd notice that!

:wave:

No, the lady in the bright yellow African garb that we saw during checking in. Sweet, but very travel UNsavvy.

Ah! Nice of them to help her out.

I used to be able to. Not so much anymore. :(

Join the club. :)

upload_2017-12-19_17-44-24-png.289457

:laughing: You took a photo of that!
And... no red meat!

HAHA, I got loads of comments on that jacket, and had to telll everyone that it's Michaela's. I love it, but more for the style and comfort. ;)

Toasty/comfort trumps style.

Okay, fine. VERY!!!!!

:goodvibes

Good! You should be!
(despite the rough start)

Well, you HAVE seen the one I will train for flying at. And yes, 747s HAVE landed there. THAT one is tiny!

pffftt.... two paved runways?

And... I never would've thought you'd be able to get a 747 in there.
Wait... is it still there? I can't see how it could possibly take off again.

Thanks! I screamed, "Take my photo!!"

I believe you!

And I like this one more. Those were the only 2 artsy-fartsy ones I could manage so far. I promise the photos DO get better as the trip goes on. But none are what I'd call spectacular.

Isn't that interesting? Tastes differ. That's what makes art so wonderful. I like the first, you like the second... and that's great!

I bit. Every year there seems to be a ferry disaster somewhere in the world where loads of people die- Indonesia, China, etc

True... and yet... considering the sheer volume of traffic... those accidents are actually quite rare.
Not rare enough, but...

I didn't want to be a statistic. I had actually contemplated taking my own inflatable lifevest before leaving and ran out of time and space.

Hmmm... yeah... I can see how you would've thought that.

:laughing:

That is a good question.

Here's a good article outlining the enormity of the problem. It's not just SL, but Senegal and Camaroon as well. If you Google "Chinese overfishing off W. Africa" LOADS of articles come up.

I'll take a look a bit later. I suspect I know what the answer will be, though.

For the amount of raw sewage and garbage ALL over the city, I was actually surprised there weren't MORE flies.

Huh! I hadn't thought of that aspect.

All night long. On, off... on, off....

Not annoying at all, I'm sure. :sad2

Thanks, PK. This TR is somewhat serving the purpose of a diary of sorts. Enjoy!

I am! And I'm sure I will!

And really... considering I was the one... what more do you need?

Another good point!! You're on a roll!

I wish! He has more hair.
Find a goofier looking, balding Goofy and you'll be on target.
\

Yes. I do mean to go there some day. I just keep forgetting to.... every time.

To be fair, you can't do everything.

Good! Next time will be better.

Time will tell if there's "a next time".

Thanks for that. Not a fan of sweet potatoes, so I'd substitute in... potatoes.
Never had collared greens, maybe? Or just once?

Curious... have you had them as a savory dish, rather than sweet? But yes, reg potatoes would work. In W. Africa, they use cassava leaves, not collard greens. I wouldn't know where to find those here.

Sure! Put on a show and maybe someone will believe you!

:thumbsup2

:laughing: You took a photo of that!
And... no red meat!

I knew I'd forget what it was in case someone asked.

YOU DID!!!

pffftt.... two paved runways?

And... I never would've thought you'd be able to get a 747 in there.
Wait... is it still there? I can't see how it could possibly take off again.

True. With HIRL and VASI (or PAPI- can't remember). So yeah, I guess decent for a podunk town such as Mac.

Those are stuck forever in Mac I'm afraid, but were put to great use. One on display at the Evergreen Museum, the other part of the water park. :banana:

True... and yet... considering the sheer volume of traffic... those accidents are actually quite rare.
Not rare enough, but...

Yes, but like air disasters, when there's a ferry crash, a LOT of people die.

Another good point!! You're on a roll!

I'm like butter.
Smoooooth.

To be fair, you can't do everything.

Yes I can! I can so!!!!

Okay... I can't.

Curious... have you had them as a savory dish, rather than sweet?

Savoury, I think.

But yes, reg potatoes would work. In W. Africa, they use cassava leaves, not collard greens. I wouldn't know where to find those here.

Hmmm... specialty shop, maybe?

I knew I'd forget what it was in case someone asked.

YOU DID!!!

:laughing: And I've done the same thing!

True. With HIRL and VASI (or PAPI- can't remember). So yeah, I guess decent for a podunk town such as Mac.

PAPI and MALSR too. And in ILS on 22.

Those are stuck forever in Mac I'm afraid, but were put to great use. One on display at the Evergreen Museum, the other part of the water park. :banana:

Cool! And you've got the Spruce Goose!!

Yes, but like air disasters, when there's a ferry crash, a LOT of people die.

True. Never good.

And now a word about our accommodations in response to your inquiring minds.

I will admit that at face value our accommodations looked quite posh, and truth be told, by Sierra Leonean, standards they were. The house is under construction as a hotel in one of the wealthier areas of town close to the US Embassy. But, if one were to look a bit more closely, here's what they would find. Every home is limited by 2 factors: that of the house itself, and also by the infrastructure, or lack thereof, in the city. If you want running water in your home, you must install a giant water tank that gets re-filled when the city water is on- a very hit or miss occurrence. More often than not, the house's tank did not fill and we took sponge baths with a bucket. But, I can go into more detail on that in another post. There was no indoor kitchen and all of our food was prepared on propane burners outside. The electricity was off far more than on. Our toilet did not flush unless we poured water down it, and well, we lived by the old mantra, "If it's yellow let it mellow..."

While it did appear nice, and don't get me wrong, it WAS!, it did lack the basic utilities we in the West are used to and often take for granted. When our group finally gets to the village, you will see a marked difference in our accommodations. If you want to see mud huts with thatched roofs, I will not disappoint you. ;)

I can tell you that most others in the city were not as fortunate as we were in terms of living conditions. The vast majority of Freetown is a slum. Millions of people live in horrible
squalor with raw sewage running mere feet from where they sleep. Garbage is everywhere, roofs are made of ancient tarps or rusty corrugated metal, and many lean-to homes are simply washed away completely during rainy season. Again, this is all getting way ahead of myself, but I thought I needed to add a bit more description in between the lines.

Last edited:
:santa::santa::santa::santa::santa::santa::santa::santa:

A very Merry Christmas All Y’all!!

While ours isn’t “white”, it is icy. Which makes the driving hard and the guests late. Which gives me some moments to wish you and yours a happy Holiday Greeting!

:santa::santa::santa::santa::santa::santa::santa::santa:
Merry Christmas Steppe (and everyone)!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter