The ABCs of An EPIC Girls' Trip! May, 2019-Q is for: Quietly Sending this Trip Report off Into an Internet Sunset (8/25)

Flower and Garden is the best time to visit Epcot, in my opinion. My absolute favorite time of year to see the park. (I'm gutted I'll be arriving 7 days AFTER the festival is over.:sad:) I have no doubt you will have a wonderful time wandering around WS, seeing some of the shows, and checking out the gardens. Fingers crossed you can see Herman and the Hermits.

It's been faaaar too long. I'm just hoping that I'm far enough out from early summer school vacations to not ramp up the crowd levels. But I AM counting on the beauty of the park!

OH man!! Only 7 days? That super sucks!

I think, honestly, it'll be mom's favorite part of the trip. :goodvibes

It is such a wonderful time of year to enjoy!

I'm looking forward to the nice warm weather! Soooo done with winter!

There is so much to see and enjoy!

For sure!!!

I am really looking forward to the English Tea garden.

That one, but for me also the Japanese specialty and Italian gardens. I'm envisioning a ton of photos coming home with me from this trip.

The menus look FABULOUS! I have a very long list of things to try.

I have been feeling super duper crappy all weekend so didn't get to looking over the menus yet. I will though!

Ooooh! I wasn't too far behind over here!

No, you weren't! It's a thread moving as slow as my fat carcass on a Monday morning.

Actually when we were there they had different sections with all different types of foods, you could order from all of them or just one and take your tray to the register and pay. It was kind of nice since Fran and I don't always want to eat the same nationality of food.

Nice!! I love variety!

No, those are a relatively recent addition, I think more than five years ago, but less than 10. They didn't have them in 2011.

Cool!! Something to look forward to and write about.

Don't forget that each country has a topiary, plus there are a bunch in Future World.

Oh for SURE not missing those!

That's my plan for our Epcot days as well!

We think alike.... ;)

F is for: Fireworks from Friendships!

After slowly strolling around WS enjoying the Flower and Garden offerings of specialty gardens, topiaries, snacks and drinks, hopefully catching the Garden Rocks concert of Herman and the Hermits, and getting to know some of the fantastic ladies going a bit better, it'll be time to skedaddle on over to the International Gateway to catch our boat to the Yacht Club Marina to meet our Captain for our evening extravaganza- An Illuminations Cruise.

So, confession time: I am not a huge Illuminations Fan and am usually headed to the buses about the time the first firework flies. The story is slow and the presentation leaves me wondering what the whole thing was even about. Is there really even a cohesive story going on? :confused3 BUT!! I do actually love the music and listen to it pretty regularly in the evenings.

But that reason alone wouldn't make me pony up $35 for the sole purpose of seeing the show. (10 people paying for a $345 boat) I would pay that much, however, for the chance to spend time with old and new friends and to see Illuminations one last time. Don't panic! I'm not going all nostalgic on this one, Folks, but this is just seeming like a good idea this time around.

Disney-World-fireworks-cruise-boats-lined-up-at-Epcot-International-Gateway-2.jpg

I really have no expectations going into this. I am glad it's only $35 per person; I don't think I'd spend any more. I do hope Mom doesn't get seasick which makes me think suggesting a scopalamine patch might be a good idea.

Afterwards, we MIGHT head to a quiet place to have a little night cap- anyone have experience at the Ale and Compass or the Crew's Cup? Since we'll be right there? Thinking of taking a Lyft back to CSR. And that wraps up Saturday, May 4th.

Crews Cup was really nice when we ventured over there on our 2016 trip. I hear that the newly renovated Ale and Compass is lovely now. If you venture over to the Boardwalk, Abracadbar is super fun. Your mom might enjoy the theming.

Since my plane is suppose to land in Orlando at 7:35 AM, I figure, by the time I make it to DME, and then to CSR to see if they will let me check us in (not sure, cause I think they ask for the CC that was used to book the room, which I won't have) I will be heading to DS for the day to see all the new sights. I only purchased a 3 day ticket, so won't be heading to a park this day. I will have so much to see between the new to me resort, DS, and then the exciting group dinner at Ohana that I won't really need to go to a park this first day.
I have also never been to a festival of any kind at Epcot. I know... how is that even possible when there always seems to be a festival at Epcot any more. Well, I haven't. This will be new to me too. Then the cruise. I am with you on Illuminations never being one of my favorite shows, however, I am really excited for this and to be right up close and personal I think will be really amazing. The company will be well worth it!

I'm an Illuminations fan, as you know, but I agree that the music is really what makes the show. I hope you have a wonderful time on the cruise!

I'm right there with you; I can't remember the last time I stayed to watch IllumiNations but listen to the song frequently! Kind of funny...

35 dollars seems like a reasonable price to schlep out for a new experience. Whether it's one you're really interested in or not, at least you can cross it off your Disney Bucket List.

We are staying at CSR in 3 weeks! We stayed 1 night a long time ago and basically just sleeping because our flight left at 8am the next morning!

We got a good AP rate this time around

I am excited for the Ohana dinner, F&G, and The Illuminations Cruise. I also love the music from Illuminations!

I am at 60 days today for the Epic trip, yay!

Crews Cup was really nice when we ventured over there on our 2016 trip. I hear that the newly renovated Ale and Compass is lovely now. If you venture over to the Boardwalk, Abracadbar is super fun. Your mom might enjoy the theming.

I've only ever been to the lounges at AKL, The Poly, and a few pool bars. Well, I also went to Abracadabar for my Graduation Celebration/Pre-Flying Fish drink. And I did love it! Although I wish they hadn't taken away the cool changing color drink. :(

Anyway, Abracadabar may be a contender, but am also torn. I kinda want to broaden my horizons and check out some others as well. The one that intrigues me most is the little lounge at the Boardwalk. If I stay there again maybe I'll hit that one up too.

Since my plane is suppose to land in Orlando at 7:35 AM, I figure, by the time I make it to DME, and then to CSR to see if they will let me check us in (not sure, cause I think they ask for the CC that was used to book the room, which I won't have)

And that's okay! We can check us in when we get there are 4:00 or so. By then your bags will all be there and we'll be set to head out to the Poly. A Lyft should only cost about $10 and split 3 ways, it might be worth it to just split it and get us there in 10 minutes rather than an hour. Whatcha think?

I will be heading to DS for the day to see all the new sights.

YAY!!!!

I only purchased a 3 day ticket

That's what we did for my mom too. It just wasn't worth $80 for a few hours in a park on either end.

I have also never been to a festival of any kind at Epcot. I know... how is that even possible when there always seems to be a festival at Epcot any more.

That's true, but I've also gone plenty of years when there wasn't one. I think each year, they add a bit more time to all of them and it does seem like there is always one there now. I know you're gonna love this one!

The company will be well worth it!

Here here!!!!

I'm an Illuminations fan, as you know, but I agree that the music is really what makes the show. I hope you have a wonderful time on the cruise!
I remember that! :) Seems like it's one show you either love or hate. LOL! I am super curious what the new show is going to be like.

I'll make sure to take lots of photos and let you all know how the cruise is. :)

I'm right there with you; I can't remember the last time I stayed to watch IllumiNations but listen to the song frequently! Kind of funny...

35 dollars seems like a reasonable price to schlep out for a new experience. Whether it's one you're really interested in or not, at least you can cross it off your Disney Bucket List.
I so agree with this. I am still trying to decide which tour to splurge on with the kids- if any. Might save that for some solo time after they head home though too.

We are staying at CSR in 3 weeks! We stayed 1 night a long time ago and basically just sleeping because our flight left at 8am the next morning!

Then for sure! It's time to head back and spend a bit more time there. AND more importantly tell me all about it! LOL!! Take lots of photos too and check out the best buildings cuz ... I NEED TO KNOW! :laughing:

We got a good AP rate this time around

I need to make sure my TA is checking. (She's amazing though, so I'm sure she is. )

I am excited for the Ohana dinner, F&G, and The Illuminations Cruise. I also love the music from Illuminations!

It's all going to be so much fun! I seriously cannot wait to meet you!

I am at 60 days today for the Epic trip, yay!

You're a couple days of ahead of me! I have to get up at 4:00 AM for my FiP (that's my affectionate name for Fast Passes because "Fips" is easier to say than "Fast Pass") day on Monday. UGH!

G is for: Great! More Ticket Drama....
I must be the lucky one the gods have chosen to be scourged with all the ticket drama they could muster. It just never ends. Ever.

Some of you who are reading here are also following along on my ongoing TR from last year (yeah, I'm gonna finish it :rolleyes2) and know that my AP was a special case of pain-in-the-wazoo. It all started in September when it took me literally 10 hours of face-to-face and phone time to get it worked out.

Or not.

In preparation for FiP Day (my affectionate name for Fast Passes because I'm extraordinarily lazy and "FiP" is easier to say and rolls off the tongue so well) I was making sure my "i"s were dotted and all my "t"s were crossed. They weren't. I mean.... how could I possibly have believed 10 hours of IT "help" would have fixed the problem?

I called them up to make sure and ...

"Do you have 2 e-mail addresses"?

"Yes. Yes, I do."

"Okay, which one do you want your AP connected to?"

"Umm, I"ve had this conversation with 4 other CMs verbatim."

"I'm so sorry Ma'am! I promise it's going to be fixed this time."

waiting-for-it-5b3128.jpg

I fully expect issues on Monday at 4:00 AM when I have to be up to do my FiPs. Why would I not?

But I am not the only one who needs a valid park admission for FiP Day. My mom also needed a ticket, and as of today, with no small amount of additional drama, she does. But let's have Storytime with Steppe:

For reasons I won't bore you with, she has been waffling a bit (it IS a good reason! NOT judging!) about even going. Which gave me freakish amounts of Trip Anxiety. How would we afford the room we were all splitting if she didn't go? Would my roomies even be able to go? GAHHHHHHHHHHHHH! :scared1:

Not to fear... my inner closet TA kicked in.

I did a little soft pressuring and nudged Mom to commit. It was time. But it was cutting it close. Veeeeeeeeery close. We ordered her ticket from UT and it was shipped.

Ummmm, but I needed the ticket
# to link up on MDE by Monday.

"It's in the mail."

I was about as sure I was going to get a ticket number by 4:00 AM Monday as I am about my AP being fixed before I hit the next tapstile. Which is also about as sure as I am about Congress solving one single problem in my lifetime. It was time for an intervention.

I had Mom call UT and luckily she caught them before they'd actually mailed it. They scanned it and sent that image via email. Great!! Except that it took them 2 days to actually send that email. They also said the ticket was going to be 2-day rushed. With me so far?

This morning, I called UT myself because when I went to link it, I opened the .pdf and lo and behold, the last 4 digits weren't scratched. Back to square 1 with no ticket number, or so I thought. The lady, who was probably more exasperated than a mom trying to help her teenage daughter with Algebra (guess what I've been doing this afternoon?), patiently (sort of) explained to me that I needed to go to a place that I can actually print the ticket (no printer at home) then scan the QR code. What I thought she meant was I needed to download an app to do that and go from there.

So I did.

I scanned that son of a sea biscuit and it pops me over to MDE.

Okaaaaaaaaaaaaaay....

CRASH!

<tries again>

CRASH!

<utters expletives in a public place and tries again>

CRASH!

F it.

That's "forget it", Kids.

I called Disney. I waited on hold for half an hour.

You know the drill.

Finally, IT answers (let me remind you this is the same IT that "fixes" AP issues) and they explain that the MDE app has a QR scanning feature to link tickets. :furious:

Nice.

I get home, and try to load MDE. Again.

Nope.

I follow dude's advice and close all my apps. Still...

CRASH!

In desperation (MONDAY is close enough to count in HOURS NOW!), I uninstalled the app and re-installed it.

Finally, success. I scanned that Bad Boy and Mom now has a ticket to get us some FiPs. The Annoyance O'Meter will have to be taken in for recalibration and another gig of storage on Tuesday, my next day off.

My headache is finally starting to fade. Literally.

(For the record, yes, before you get judge-y (;)) I know tickets should be purchased well before we did. It just couldn't be helped this time. )

Last edited:
Oh my goodness! What an ordeal!! I sincerely hope that everything goes as it's supposed to for you when you get up to do your FPs... *fingers crossed*

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter