The 2010 EPCOT Food and Wine Festival Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SarahInMN

Drink your wine with a cheerful heart
Hey y'all-

We're planning on going next fall, so our 11 month DVC booking window is opening soon and we wanted to pick dates. How far in advance do they announce the dates and the schedule? Or will we need to take a shot in the dark for 10 days in October 2010 and hope the events are what we want to attend?

Thanks in advance!!

Well, if I read your post correctly, you want to book resort reservations now, but, are not sure what events will be available during the time you pick. This is always an iffy situation. The full schedule of events for the festival generally is not released until early July. If you wait 'til then, you might not find the room availability you want during the time of the events you want to attend. It's the chicken and the egg syndrome! Since there are some 2,500 events scheduled during the six-week festival run, we generally pick the best time for us to attend and then just pick and choose from what's available. If you want an idea of when events are generally scheduled, go to the Disney site and look at this year's festival brochure. Aside from the "Eat to the Beat" entertainment, they don't change things that much from year to year and you should have more than enough info to guide you in a selection of a time to go. Good luck!

The festival always runs from the last weekend in September to the second weekend in November. Any booking in October will get you there. And depending on where you want to stay, you will probably have to book reservations before the event schedule is released (that is usually not until July).

July? ARGH!!! :scared1:

I thought - or assumed - the schedule would come out in the spring - like April - not July (which isn't enough lead time).

My husband has a total crush on Cat Cora so that is the big event we would want to hit as well as the culinary adventures at the California Grill.

We were going to "guess" for about 10 days (over two weekends to catch two parties for the senses) in October 2010 and get a room at BCV as soon as our 11 month window opened, thinking we would change it when the schedule was released if there was something we really wanted to go to.

So, I guess we'll pick a 10 day window and hope for the best.

Thanks!!

So now that the 2009 F&W festival is almost over what cities and foods and changes would you like to see next year.

I'd like to see a weekly microbrew in the US pavilion.
I'd like to see some better beers in all the countries, not just the ones owned by large conglomerates.
I am not happy to pay $6 for a 12oz Draft Sam Adams. I like Sam Adams, but this is ridiculous.

I'd like to see more Canadian Wines in the Canada pavilion.
The Niagara region has a lot of very nice wines.

I'd like to see more celebrity Chefs. When you are paying $8 months in advance not knowing what you will be getting at least you can go with the Chef's you know.

Who would I like that was not here this year:
How about Morimoto. Now that there is an "Iron Chef" workng for Disney that would not be too hard.
What about Emeril? I know he is a Universal guy, but he still had someone from Tchop Chop at F&W this year.
How about Anthony Bourdain. He is not really Disney friendly, but he has toned down a lot these days (now that he has a kid).
How about Rachel Ray so we can make fun of her and her lame husband. :)
Alton Brown - he just lives up the road in Georgia and would be a lot of fun.
Bobby Flay - he could do a throwdown with one of the Disney Chefs.
Zane Lamprey - He could do an episode of three sheets drinking around the world.

Cities and Foods.

Soul, S Korea - Korean barbecue
Dublin Ireland - Curry Chips or Battered Sausages
Vietnam - Vietnamese Caramel Shrimp
Berlin - Currywurst
Puerto Rico - A decent Mofongo - get one of the Puerto Rican employees who knows how to make it make it.
Salzburg, Austria - Dessert Pretzels. They had some really nice ones when I was there.
Louisiana - get someone who knows how to make Gumbo and etouffee make it. This years was nowhere near as nice as last years.
Mexico - tamale - the best mexican street food when done right
Poland - get some decent perogies and Kielbasa like last year. It was inedible this year.
Belgium - Waffles and beer

Other things
How about selling a snack card for those who are not on the DDP.
Say 10 snacks for $40 or a beer card that gives you 5 beers for $25.
Of course they won’t since they can sell you a card that you actually pay more for 4 beer samples.

How about a multi seminar discount. Say 10 for 70. (I know I can get them for 5 in advance, but I may not know when I am going at that point and I prefer to decide on the morning after looking at the menus)

I’ll probably think of some others but this is a start.

Agree on most of Tony's items except I don't know what you expect to pay for a Sam Adams at Disney - back when the AC was open I used to pay $5.25 a bottle for it (that was the only beer they had that I'd drink) so I think $6 for 12 oz at Disney is not a bad price considering it's Disney. And at Hops & Barley I didn't have to tip the bartender. To me the Sam booth is a Disney bargain.

I won't be paying for demos anymore unless I really want to see the chef - basically because of the thimbleful of wine. Don't know if Disney ever made their festival a celebrity-driven one like the one I went to in New York this year. Not sure I'd want them to.

I love the Party for the Senses this year (did NOT do Wine View Room) and hope they stick with whatever they did although part of the reason it was less crowded was due to the economy.

I would like to see signature dinners on the weekends so I don't have to take Thursdays off next year.

The current Disney managment, driven by the general taste of the masses, is not going to get too exotic with the food at the kiosks. I'm anticipating a cutback on the Asian offerings next year - even on weekends where the WS was shoulder to shoulder people you could just walk right up to Bangkok and get some shrimp. Disney probably doesn't like that. They want lines like they get in Canada to buy the soup.

They don't need a prepaid snack card when they have those wristbanded gift cards. I really don't understand the desire to prepay for everything that seems to have been set off by the dining plan. Tony's apparently anticipating that a snack card might work out to be a discount, but Disney isn't going to give everyone a shot at a discount - only if you do something Disney really wants you to do (buy the dining plan, which sticks you onsite for all your meals) will they give you a break on that $7 lobster roll. I don't even use the gift cards, just cash. Now, a booze card might not be a bad idea but I don't think it will ever be done just because Disney doesn't want to be seen as offering the masses an easier way to get booze.

And holy crap, those pierogies were lousy.

I would love to see more mixed drinks or frozen drinks...I am not much or a wine or beer drinker but love the cocktails.

More dessert items from the countries...got a sweet tooth

Change up the countries that have been there for a long time and serve something else like Germany, Poland, Italy, New Zealand and Canada.

Would love more celebrity chefs, more book signings, more things offered during the week and not just on a weekend where the place is super packed.

Pd $7.50 or so but dont recall even seeing the .50 come back from vendor at Tampa Bay Bucs stadium--think it was 16 oz

Just to answer your question on the price of beer the one difference for me is it is Draft.

Also I was mistaken on the price, so I stand corrected ;).
Sam was actually cheaper than the other beers (5.25).
I thought it was 6. That's a little more reasonable, but still a huge markup for draft.
I'm used to paying $5 for a 20oz draft downtown in a major city in a bar in the financial district. It’s usually 3.50-4 in a dive bar or Friday's for a 22oz.

I did not buy the Sams or any other beers after trying the first few.
(Abita Purple Haze Beer, Pilsner Urquell,Kona Fire Rock Pale Ale and Hacker Pschorr)
They are all good beersm, but none of them were cold or chilled, so I stopped purchasing the beers.

One other minor thing related to this though, I'd like to have a 22oz or 20oz that is a better value that does not include a mug that I do not want. And I do not want it to be luke warm on a hot day.

In the end I decided it was better to stop in La Cava del Tequila each day and have a Margarita and skip the beer.

They used to have a Russian kiosk that had the greatest beef stroganoff - but it disappeared awhile back.

Tony, you're not gonna get dive bar prices at Disney, no matter what they're serving, heck they charge almost the same thing for freakin Bud Light.

So sticking to La Cava seems the best compromise for all...

Tony - the Hacker-Pschorr Oktober beer is delightful this year!! :thumbsup2 (and about $1 for a 12 ounce bottle if you buy the 12 bottles!)

and your post reminded me... the old "remember when"? Remember when you could buy that plastic half liter glass and get it refilled cheaper - ah a best buy for sure- I would fill up that cup and use it as a pitcher when we went to food and wine..

and I guess I would like to see DIFFERENT FOOD and Wines - wine walkaboouts etc (It is a food and Wine fest)

How about bringing back the snacks that were - like in Canada - what snack "beaver tale?" and Germany - ah if only they could bring back their real pretzels ....

I know - I am a dreamer!!

• Bring back some of the better Food and Wine pairings, at Le Cellier and Coral Reef. We've tried the one in Morocco, no comparison.
  • I like the idea posted about a value card for snacks and drinks. Something that saves money, may actually make Disney more.
  • Bring back more of the higher quality wine vendors; selections at tastings and pairings seem a) fewer and b) standard, grocery store wines.

I loved that you could build your own six pack at the Beer Hop for only $28...so tempting...

No way will there be any more pairings at Le Cellier and Coral Reef...they need every inch of those restaurants for dining plan guests.

The Tutto Italia pairing was great though. I did Morocco's once, won't be doing it again.

No way will there be any more pairings at Le Cellier and Coral Reef...they need every inch of those restaurants for dining plan guests.

The Tutto Italia pairing was great though. I did Morocco's once, won't be doing it again.

Does anyone else remember LeCellier as "bigger"

am I the only one (as in did I dream this?) that remembers a seating dining area to the left?

As you are greeted by the Hostess to be taken to your seat - you walk down a very short hallway and turn right into the dining area - but our very first year we were seated on the left area....surely...

Last year I asked the Hostess and she thought I was nutz - and considering how popular this place is I must've dreamed it... as we walked I looked left and there was a boarded area.. :confused3

I think it boils down to bottom line - do it as fast and as cheaply as possible - no need to satisfy the few - we will always satisfy the "many" :sad1:

The current Disney managment, driven by the general taste of the masses, is not going to get too exotic with the food at the kiosks. I'm anticipating a cutback on the Asian offerings next year - even on weekends where the WS was shoulder to shoulder people you could just walk right up to Bangkok and get some shrimp. Disney probably doesn't like that. They want lines like they get in Canada to buy the soup.

And holy crap, those pierogies were lousy.

OMG I really hope they keep the Thailand booth. That soup was my favorite item at the festival!

I missed the Poland kiosk - I was just too full! Sounds like it's a good thing I used to stomach space for other things!

Does anyone else remember LeCellier as "bigger"

am I the only one (as in did I dream this?) that remembers a seating dining area to the left?

As you are greeted by the Hostess to be taken to your seat - you walk down a very short hallway and turn right into the dining area - but our very first year we were seated on the left area....surely...

Last year I asked the Hostess and she thought I was nutz - and considering how popular this place is I must've dreamed it... as we walked I looked left and there was a boarded area.. :confused3

I think it boils down to bottom line - do it as fast and as cheaply as possible - no need to satisfy the few - we will always satisfy the "many" :sad1:

I do recall a time when it was set up like a cafeteria.
I do recall walking in a long hallway and taking a left to where you picked out your food and sat down.
I think they gave you a number and delivered your steak when it was ready.
I recall walking down a hallway like you say vaguely, it was a long time ago.
As for there being more room, well it was less crowded since it was not packed with DDP diners.

So no I don't think you're crazy, but I may be. ;)

I would like to see a dessert wine bar ... they got a little closer this year with the champagne and dessert booth, but I want to see more drink variety because I don't think the champagne they offered pairs especially well with dessert. Give us some port ... both a ruby and a tawny ... some ice wine ... some Frozin ... and something like Allegro Moscato ... and then I'd be a happy girl!

I also think they should have a stand that sells coffees and tea from around the world ... with alcoholic options, of course.

They should beef up the cheese classes or dump them altogether - We've never attended one even though we adore artisan cheese because I've seen too many reviews showing really stingy cheese portions. Do you know how much artisan cheese I could buy today for $75 (times 2!)??? Holy Mother of Cheese Cloth ... we'd be eating pounds of French and Italian cheese for months! :lmao:

The beer options have been discussed plenty and I agree with most of the suggestions, but I have to say that the $28 build-a-six pack was the second most hilarious thing we saw at the Festival Center. The first being a $90 bottle of Macallan single malt scotch that we can buy at home for $50. :rotfl2: For thirty dollars those six beers better blow the top right off of my head! That money would be better spent in the ditch! :thumbsup2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter